Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Hello, I have a question regarding bicycle production cycles or something.
I want to buy a road bike in a few months, but looking around on the internet it looks like there are a bunch of 2021 models that are already out of stock in a bunch of places (at least in common sizes). Will those be restocked at some point or will there be a continuous bike shortage until the 2022 models are starting to come in? Or more specifically, it it a dumb idea to buy a bike next spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bikes are continuing to be made; where the supply chains are in sprint is a bit up in the air but just because they're sold out on launch doesn't mean they're gone forever.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Arson Daily posted:

Next year I want to do a century ride. The most I've ever ridden is about 40 miles in any one go and I'd like to hear what I should be doing to prepare for it. How much water should I take? food? rest? Will my taint hurt?
I found that I my biggest issue is getting enough food in. I watch the clock and eat at least 100 calories every 30 minutes. It feels like a lot at first but by the final 20-30 miles I really need to force it down.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

cebrail posted:

Hello, I have a question regarding bicycle production cycles or something.
I want to buy a road bike in a few months, but looking around on the internet it looks like there are a bunch of 2021 models that are already out of stock in a bunch of places (at least in common sizes). Will those be restocked at some point or will there be a continuous bike shortage until the 2022 models are starting to come in? Or more specifically, it it a dumb idea to buy a bike next spring?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bikes are continuing to be made; where the supply chains are in sprint is a bit up in the air but just because they're sold out on launch doesn't mean they're gone forever.

I'm not going to go into details because I don't know if I'm allowed to, but what I do know I'm allowed to say is that 2021 is definitely going to be another year of finding something close enough to what you want and jumping on it. There are definitely going to be supply issues this year.

If you have a particular bike in mind go to the shop that supplies it, find out if they have it on booking and ask if they'll notify you as soon as it arrives. Ideally they'll give you first dibs. Don't wait until one just hits the showroom floor and expect that if it sells out they'll be able to order you one in your size.

Also, nobody sell their bike with the expectation of buying something new when it arrives because suppliers are even cancelling bikes on shops booking orders. I know several who've gotten phone calls from major players telling them that they're going to be missing stock for this spring.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well got rid of the second car so that means its time for a specialized turbo creo right?!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I made a dumb thing, would anyone be interested in a run of these? Not totally set on the colors but that’s more or less what it’d look like.

yes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

yeah, I could pull that piece of metal out, reinflate, and be on my way

clean round punctures like that are tubeless’s bread and butter

I run tubeless and I find it very unlikely it would be able to seal up a hole that size! You'd definitely need to put a plug in something like that to seal it

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Bike fit question -

When I am pedaling, I frequently get a sensation of as I end the push down of the pedal and start to push down with the other leg, the pedals seem to "float" backwards an inch or two before the other leg actually starts moving forward and then I feel a snap when the pedal engages to push forward again (sorry not a great explanation).

Does this indicate I should consider raise my seat? If so how much - should my leg be fully extended at the bottom of a pedal?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

You want your leg *almost* completely extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke, around 90%.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

hemale in pain posted:

I run tubeless and I find it very unlikely it would be able to seal up a hole that size! You'd definitely need to put a plug in something like that to seal it

I'd say it's 50/50 with Orange Seal. It might take some time to "cure." But sure, bring a plug of some sort and reinflate the tire with a CO2 cart and you're back on the road in like 5 minutes rather than having to change a tube.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sure is raining out

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Rode up Mt Baldy and down Glendora Ridge today with a fellow goon and set a bitchin’ PR up Baldy.

Trash kits in full effect today

Immediately post climb, I am dead

I am also a child

#teamtrash

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Nice. You and that bike are living the life.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s a good bike :unsmith:

And it’s about to get even better, about to go from mishmash 1x 105/GRX to 2x etap. :homebrew:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is that a trashmiles skinsuit I see?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I'm not going to go into details because I don't know if I'm allowed to, but what I do know I'm allowed to say is that 2021 is definitely going to be another year of finding something close enough to what you want and jumping on it. There are definitely going to be supply issues this year.

If you have a particular bike in mind go to the shop that supplies it, find out if they have it on booking and ask if they'll notify you as soon as it arrives. Ideally they'll give you first dibs. Don't wait until one just hits the showroom floor and expect that if it sells out they'll be able to order you one in your size.
It's not as horrible in scandinavia but I mostly talk to my pretty high end LBS.

The low and midrange stuff is basically gone, and getting stock can be a crapshoot.

Our LBS started carrying specialized (for which the owner got no end of poo poo from his own mechs) and a bunch of models are already sold out for 2021. I'm *convinced* he's only stocking spesh to make santacruz prices look reasonable.

He's also selling their cargo/family bikes as fast as they can stock them. They had 4 in the showroom and half a dozen people already booked for test rides.

e.pilot posted:

Trash kits in full effect today

heck yes

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 4, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is that a trashmiles skinsuit I see?

Yes it is :smuggo:

(they’re real good, but pricey)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
How pricey, I need something fun to wear in the club tts next summer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m very pro-skinsuit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How pricey, I need something fun to wear in the club tts next summer

It’s the jakroo skinsuit, I think they are $250-275ish iirc.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

e.pilot posted:

It’s the jakroo skinsuit, I think they are $250-275ish iirc.

Thats reasonable for a skin suit tbf.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

serious gaylord posted:

Thats reasonable for a skin suit tbf.

For sure but it’s a lot compared to $50 trash kit

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Jakroo stuff is nice I own a couple jerseys and a bib.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Awesomeness. I'm not Australian, but I live here now. Armidale, NSW, where the hills have been kicking my out-of-shape rear end.

How are the maggies where you are? I've been attacked a couple of times but no real contact. The most aggressive bird on my commute are the parents of a small duck family that will reliably charge me, hissing, every time.

Welcome to the hills, it's uphill (and into a headwind) in every direction around here. There are a few extra aggro magpies around, but they should be settling down shortly.

The ducks are very cute when they hiss at you.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

chyaroh posted:

Welcome to the hills, it's uphill (and into a headwind) in every direction around here. There are a few extra aggro magpies around, but they should be settling down shortly.

The ducks are very cute when they hiss at you.

This is completely true but I dunno how the gently caress it is. On Sunday I went for a fun ride in the afternoon. Westward at about 2:00pm, Eastward on the same path about 4:00pm. Headwind both times. :psyduck:

And yes, the ducks are very cute, always. :3:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What are this thread's thoughts on BMX cruisers?

Last year I bought a BMX bike - I would argue this was a much more 'end-life crisis' purchase than the motorcycle - and I love it, it's great for putting around the neighbourhood to meet friends at bars or run errands. But lately I've been thinking about getting back into cycling only a little more seriously, at the very least having something that I can ride further across the city, or at a decent clip, or without blowing my knees out from either standing on the pedals or sitting on that ridiculously-low seat (I even added a taller seatpost and it's still way short of being able to cruise and sit).

So I've been looking at some of the cruisers at a 'local' shop that specializes in BMX stuff. You can tell their operation is a labour of love, they carry some niche bikes. I guess the biggest thing I'm curious about is if the cruiser models tend to be made with taller gearing than their stubby traditional-BMX counterparts... I can't really tell from some of the photos.

Or is this even what I want, really? Are the plus-size BMX bikes simply a novelty to a casual rider? Would I be better served by a more traditional cruiser bicycle? Should I instead spend the money tricking out my sadly-neglected Giant Seek3 (this could actually be ridiculous, tell me about it)?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 5, 2020

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Get a SE Big Ripper. Live that bike life
https://youtu.be/j4Bmi1PZ7bw

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

What are this thread's thoughts on BMX cruisers?

Last year I bought a BMX bike - I would argue this was a much more 'end-life crisis' purchase than the motorcycle - and I love it, it's great for putting around the neighbourhood to meet friends at bars or run errands. But lately I've been thinking about getting back into cycling only a little more seriously, at the very least having something that I can ride further across the city, or at a decent clip, or without blowing my knees out from either standing on the pedals or sitting on that ridiculously-low seat (I even added a taller seatpost and it's still way short of being able to cruise and sit).

So I've been looking at some of the cruisers at a 'local' shop that specializes in BMX stuff. You can tell their operation is a labour of love, they carry some niche bikes. I guess the biggest thing I'm curious about is if the cruiser models tend to be made with taller gearing than their stubby traditional-BMX counterparts... I can't really tell from some of the photos.

Or is this even what I want, really? Are the plus-size BMX bikes simply a novelty to a casual rider? Would I be better served by a more traditional cruiser bicycle? Should I instead spend the money tricking out my sadly-neglected Giant Seek3 (this could actually be ridiculous, tell me about it)?

Generally speaking your Giant is going to be more practical for riding further and faster than just about any of the big BMXs- you've got bottle cage mounts, you can put a rack on it etc. However, a big BMX is going to be just fine for that too and will feel a lot more fun for hopping up curbs and doing sick wheelies.

"Plus size BMX" includes a ton of different wheel sizes so I would figure out what you want there first- you'll see 24", 26", 27.5, 29 and fat bike versions out there. When you're comparing gear ratios, brands/shops should tell you what the gearing is but if you're comparing across different wheel sizes you should use gear inches to get a true indication of what your gearing is. For reference, I have a 26" Fairdale Taj running 28-11 which works out to about 67 gear inches- fine for riding around town at 16-17 mph, much more than that and you're fighting the wind resistance from sitting upright.

As far as seatposts go, you probably won't get an ideal position (leg almost straight on downpedal) on a traditional looking BMX due to the geometry (maybe on a 29er?). I can put 30 miles on mine without my knees hurting but I wouldn't want to do 50+. You can also put a dropper post on it if you want to run the seat higher and drop it down for ~mad hops~

SE bikes look cool but you're definitely paying a big style tax, also a lot of their frames are not full CrMo if that matters to you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have two 24" BMX bikes and two 20" and imo you are never going to feel good or look good sitting down pedaling on a bmx bike no matter how big it gets. The only reason larger BMX bikes exist is for the racing format, for style, and for clowning on your friends when you can do a trick on a 24" and they can't do it on a 20".

I do think BMX bikes are the best possible bike for zipping around a few miles to run errands in town or whatever, especially in these transition areas between commercial urban areas and dense urban areas. Easy to bring on the metro, easy to carry on stairs, easy to hop curbs, potholes, and trash piles, just zippy and nice all around where the roads are 50MPH but the stores are 1 mile away basically.

In terms of fit a lot of people don't realize that 20" BMX bikes actually size up for very large riders. You can get long top tubes, big bars, longer stems, longer cranks, and they can become very comfortable for what they're made for which is standing up and being aggressive.

In the category of similar purpose bikes I would find a used cannondale hooligan or similar bike. Always wanted one of those they look fun.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

haven't rode my bike in two weeks because the weather was utter poo poo and I can already feel my lower back slowly dissolving

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:siren: results are in: bikes good :siren:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This is all great, thanks. As far as what size 'big BMX', I would want something comparable in size to my Giant, so basically I've been looking at stuff 26" and up. Some of the stuff from SE Bikes, as well as the Haro Downtown, are what I've been eyeing, mostly. Gearing is still a concern, like I said the only thing I really don't like about the BMX is that I wish it had a higher top speed; I know this isn't really what they're for which is why I'm wondering if that's even what I want.

But writing that post I had an idea (you can see it there at the end). Would it be absolutely a bad idea, or more work than it's worth, to instead take some dosh and use it to customize my Giant such that it ends up as some freaky mix of a cruiser and big BMX, while keeping the functionality of a bike with gears? First and foremost, obviously the bars would need to go in favour of some taller BMX bars. I'd want to get a more comfortable seat, and fatter tires - may as well go ahead and look at some fancier rims while I'm at it. I think the most difficult part would be keeping the gearshifts, or swapping them out for more traditional shifters if I'm looking at BMX brake levers without the integrated shifters. Is this crazy and/or stupid?

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Mister Speaker posted:

This is all great, thanks. As far as what size 'big BMX', I would want something comparable in size to my Giant, so basically I've been looking at stuff 26" and up. Some of the stuff from SE Bikes, as well as the Haro Downtown, are what I've been eyeing, mostly. Gearing is still a concern, like I said the only thing I really don't like about the BMX is that I wish it had a higher top speed; I know this isn't really what they're for which is why I'm wondering if that's even what I want.

The Surly Lowside is BMX inspired kinda? The completes are single speed but there's a derailleur hanger on the frame if you want to use it. Not cheap, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

skul-gun posted:

Not cheap, though.

It's one of the most absurd appeals to nostalgia I've seen. Granted, it's sort of hard to cut prices below a certain point if you're providing mid tier MTB wheels and brakes on a specialized frame, but still.
A Fairdale Taj is 600, if you can find one.
https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/products/2021-fairdale-taj-teal

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

near victorville? thats a 737 max and i think boeing has a bunch in storage and probably doing flight test stuff there too

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BraveUlysses posted:

near victorville? thats a 737 max and i think boeing has a bunch in storage and probably doing flight test stuff there too

Nah that’s an -800, headed in to ONT

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

e.pilot posted:

Nah that’s an -800, headed in to ONT
what are you like some kind of expert?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

numberoneposter posted:

what are you like some kind of expert?

No :negative:

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

imo you are never going to feel good or look good

how dare you!

Mister Speaker posted:

But writing that post I had an idea (you can see it there at the end). Would it be absolutely a bad idea, or more work than it's worth, to instead take some dosh and use it to customize my Giant such that it ends up as some freaky mix of a cruiser and big BMX, while keeping the functionality of a bike with gears? First and foremost, obviously the bars would need to go in favour of some taller BMX bars. I'd want to get a more comfortable seat, and fatter tires - may as well go ahead and look at some fancier rims while I'm at it. I think the most difficult part would be keeping the gearshifts, or swapping them out for more traditional shifters if I'm looking at BMX brake levers without the integrated shifters. Is this crazy and/or stupid?

Are you looking for a bike with gears? What sort of average speed/distance are you aiming for? SE makes the Fast Ripper, you could put tall bars on your Giant but the geometry might be weird. I would argue that single speed is a big part of what makes a BMX feel like a BMX though.

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

a loathsome bird posted:

I would argue that single speed is a big part of what makes a BMX feel like a BMX though.

The freewheel sound is a big one for me.