Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Never mind, I'm real dumb. I was only finishing the Visuals section and hadn't gotten to Gameplay where JSawyer is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

2house2fly posted:

So JSawyer Ultimate has all the same stuff as JSawyer plus the optional expanded stuff?

It makes a sloppy change to the Varmint Rifle, changing it from 5.56 to .22lr but doesn't give NPCs with the rifle the new appropriate ammo which forces them to use their secondary weapon. Additionally the rifle is worthless as a .22lr given that the Silenced .22 Pistol is also available from the start and is a better .22lr weapon. If you want to use ULTIMATE then also install this .22lr Varmint Rifle Restoration mod that better implements the change (namely making sure NPCS have the correct ammo).

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40274

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I *think* Yukichigai Gameplay Tweaks also makes that change and changes the loottable. At the very least, I had to revert the loottable too after my Viva New Vegas-ish install.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Upmarket Mango posted:

It makes a sloppy change to the Varmint Rifle, changing it from 5.56 to .22lr but doesn't give NPCs with the rifle the new appropriate ammo which forces them to use their secondary weapon. Additionally the rifle is worthless as a .22lr given that the Silenced .22 Pistol is also available from the start and is a better .22lr weapon. If you want to use ULTIMATE then also install this .22lr Varmint Rifle Restoration mod that better implements the change (namely making sure NPCS have the correct ammo).

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40274

oh nice, this always annoyed me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My biggest issue with a QOL mod comes from the JIP framework mod. I want to play a drunk with a -3 / to my INT dammit! Survival is great because it's the only skill that has both positive and negative effects and JIP alters the skill so you don't get negatives from alcohol.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I just skipped over all the Jsawyer Ultimate, YUP and the ini/performance tweaks. That heap replacer especially was giving me poo poo that I had no idea how to fix despite going through everything 3 times over.

Good to know that I can use a single NMC texture pack instead of the whole 3 part install and other stuff like that though. That was a big help.
Along with me finally giving up Project Nevada, ILO, Nevada Skies and Electro City.

You'll have to pry Monster Mod and all the related stuff out of my cold dead hands, still.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Are the extra quests from VNV worth it? For example, North Road is tagged "sexualized content" and anything off Nexus that has sexualized content gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I assume they're all garbage except for Autumn Leaves.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I assume they're all garbage except for Autumn Leaves.

This is one I keep hearing about. What so good in it? Should me download?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

It's a very well written quest mod. Bethesda ripped it off for a Fallout 4 DLC.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The VNV suggested texture packs that touch on clutter items is great for Misc Items - Use as Weapons.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Are the extra quests from VNV worth it? For example, North Road is tagged "sexualized content" and anything off Nexus that has sexualized content gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

What little of the North Road that I played was very good, along with pretty much everything else that modder has made. RepCONN Blues is pretty good too. It's mostly a big vault dive but it's entertaining throughout and the voice acting was pretty decent from what I remember. Autumn Leaves is just flat out amazing and is very high quality.

chaosapiant posted:

It's got a very engaging story surrounding three characters who are all well written and well voice acted. It takes place entirely within one vault and features virtually no combat. The gameplay consists mostly of exploring this vault, reading notes, and dialoguing with a couple of characters, which may sound boring but again the writing and acting is incredibly well done.

All the suggested quest mods are good but if you're only going to get one I say get Autumn Leaves.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

As Upmarket Mango said, North Road is pretty allright. The "sexualized content" isn't any worse than what exists in the vanilla game, from what I remember. You've got a quest hub town centered around a brothel (so there are some NPCs wearing Gomorrah hooker outfits) and the main quest is about hunting down a pedophile on the run from the NCR.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

I've only played through The Blue Note and Repconn Blues so here's some :words:.

I'll start with The Blue Note, it's not good. This is the titular bar, the pip boy light is pretty useless here. Note the lights on the wall that glow but don't emit light.

If you can make out the booths in either of these pictures then you have better eyes than me.
After talking to a few people in the bar you get pointed to a woman at Gomorrah who says gently caress every loving sentence, I stopped being invested here and went to do other quests for a while. She sends you to the Prospector Saloon where you talk with the owners drinking buddy who says he'll lead you right to him, without even asking for any booze or caps. He goes out the back and starts walking to the graveyard while drunkenly singing. The best part was when he charged ahead to punch the radscorpion without missing a beat. While he was getting stung a bunch and Veronica was going over to show him how to punch things properly, I noticed two guys following us. We got to the graveyard and the two twins were already there, having teleported ahead while I wasn't looking. Everyone was standing still, none of them were talking and attempting to talk to them zoomed in and immediately out. So I reload and charge ahead to punch the radscorpion thinking maybe it won't soft lock because if you do the tutorial like Sunny says you would have most likely killed it on the way to get the Broc Flower, but I always go south for both ingredients since they're closer. This time the twins weren't there and the drunk guy stops at a grave and says this is the owner. The twins, having followed us to the grave, hear the owner is dead and they walk north having not said a word that I could hear. So you go back to the bar and find out the bartender has saved up enough caps to buy it. You get a choice of the bartender buying it or selling it to the other guy. When I got there the other guy was right behind the bartender for the 'what to do about the bar' dialog. I had the bartender buy it and immediately after the dialog ended the other guy vanished, literally popped out of existence in front of me. Apart from the one character the dialog isn't the worst, and the audio quality is quite good.

Repconn Blues is OK, apart from a few things. The main guy you talk to has a few second pause between every line, it annoys me greatly. There's another character wearing a mask and it seems like they edited his audio for the effect instead of setting the modulates voice flag on the armor entry for the mask. I don't mind someone in the southwestern United States having a European accent 200 years after the bombs fell but the audio is very off compared to anyone else with a mask, he isn't someone you need to talk to much though. Part of the quest involves going out to crashed rockets to get things, which are in a separate interior through a hatch. I don't think they are navmeshed on the top where the hatch is since enemies couldn't get to me. The first rocket Veronica and ED-E got stuck inside when we exited so I had to moveto player to get them out to distract the giant yao guai and nightkin looking at me. The second one I went to spawned a giant gecko that did a glowing one radiation explosion every time it attacked and it had enough range to hit me on the rocket, I also had to moveto player to get my companions out. For the third the area was filled with deathclaws, and my companions ended up a bit away when I exited. I cheesed it by going inside when they got knocked out and exiting so they get back up to kill everything because deathclaws are two hit murder machines when you're playing unarmed. The robots are also voiced by the DECTalk speech synthesizer which is always fun. Once again the audio here is good, except the effect they added to the guy with the mask.

I won't be keeping either one when I get bored of my current playthrough and redo my setup.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Didn't realize Monster Mod Wasteland Edition wasn't on Nexus anymore.
Monster Mod Additions does some work to rename monster mod stuff to be lorefriendly-er but I can see how a Xenomorph from the Alien franchise renamed to Evolved Wanamingo might not cut it for you. :v:

From the Lore Edition mod description it seems fine if you're into LORE FRIENDLY content. And from the posts page about said mod...

You might want to pass on this for now. Track the mod to see how the author updates this.

Oh yeah I remember Monster Mod. This is when you want to a janky as gently caress playthrough filled with giant spiders that soak 40mm rounds. Most of the default spawns of raiders and such are overrun with insane monsters.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Oh yeah I remember Monster Mod. This is when you want to a janky as gently caress playthrough filled with giant spiders that soak 40mm rounds. Most of the default spawns of raiders and such are overrun with insane monsters.

I use the spider replacer to change those spawns to Black Emperor Scorpions and I cleared out the scorpion gulch with a .357 revolver easily enough.

Did you use the Rebalanced Level List ?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand arcganpohbia. Spider bad but spiders with deadly pokey tails are good? How's that work.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I’ve been looking at doing a Jsawyer run for FONV, but I’m wondering if I ran only jsawyer.esp with YUP would that cause a lot of issues? I guess a related question is how necessary other folks see YUP for playing FONV?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

I just skipped over all the Jsawyer Ultimate, YUP and the ini/performance tweaks. That heap replacer especially was giving me poo poo that I had no idea how to fix despite going through everything 3 times over.

Good to know that I can use a single NMC texture pack instead of the whole 3 part install and other stuff like that though. That was a big help.
Along with me finally giving up Project Nevada, ILO, Nevada Skies and Electro City.

You'll have to pry Monster Mod and all the related stuff out of my cold dead hands, still.

Why skip YUP? I can understand skipping Yukichigai Gameplay Tweaks, though I personally quite like it, but YUP is just the unofficial patch and is pure bugfixes. I'm also a bit confused what you mean by one NMC pack, it's a split archive for download reasons not because it's actually a multi-part mod. I think the smallest res pack is one archive though if that's what you mean.

If you're having setup issues you can use Wabbajack to install and remove the stuff you don't want, there are no merges anymore so no real thinking to do. Just means you have all the perf/stability stuff running right.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BurritoJustice posted:

Why skip YUP? I can understand skipping Yukichigai Gameplay Tweaks, though I personally quite like it, but YUP is just the unofficial patch and is pure bugfixes. I'm also a bit confused what you mean by one NMC pack, it's a split archive for download reasons not because it's actually a multi-part mod. I think the smallest res pack is one archive though if that's what you mean.

If you're having setup issues you can use Wabbajack to install and remove the stuff you don't want, there are no merges anymore so no real thinking to do. Just means you have all the perf/stability stuff running right.

From the VNV guide:

quote:

NOTE: The reason the guide uses the small version of the NMCs is that it has the best visual fidelity/performance ratio of any of the options. The large option has the exact same texture sizes as the medium pack, but just with higher resolution normal maps. This has a massive performance decrease for a hardly noticeable visual increase, as well as unavoidable stuttering and crashing. The medium option's LOD texture sizes are also too big, meaning FNVLODGen can't handle them properly. This results in entire missing chunks of LOD. It is HIGHLY recommended to just follow the guide and use the small option

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure the medium pack is a two part download

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Now someone else fixed that bug where you couldn't find and become addicted to piss bags

e: lol

Crindee fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 7, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand arcganpohbia. Spider bad but spiders with deadly pokey tails are good? How's that work.

I can tolerate the Scorpians but something really off putting about spiders. The way they scuttle and move just doesn't feel right in a long dormant survival mechanism wired into my evolved monkey brain.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Scorpions have their pincer arms always out so they're easy to imagine as passionate Italians

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can tolerate the Scorpians but something really off putting about spiders. The way they scuttle and move just doesn't feel right in a long dormant survival mechanism wired into my evolved monkey brain.

I think it has something regarding how the legs are splayed out. Scorpion legs are more reminiscent of an insect in how they're positioned. Whereas a spider's legs look almost like a tiny hand with long thin fingers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, Scorpians in the game just jab you with the tail while giant video game spiders go for the throat, leap and hiss.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Gaius Marius posted:

if it was rational it wouldn’t be a phobia now would it? :pseudo:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Screamers

quote:

At the New Vegas Steel Works, crazy robots began releasing screamers, destroying all living things.

You can save all life in the wasteland and stop the release of bloodthirsty machines that multiply at a catastrophic speed - one instance per minute.

Screamers can be reprogrammed and made your companions, which will help you in the fight. You can even recruit a friendly team of them and have fun walking the Mojave in complete safety.

Sound Warning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2bP8-tOM8Q

This seems to cause performance issues and is annoying as all hell. Hope there's an MCM option for these sounds.

e;
Some of this users other mods seem interesting, especially S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in Wasteland

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 8, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it based off that 90s horror movie with the replicating space robots?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it based off that 90s horror movie with the replicating space robots?

Of course.

e;
For those who aren't movie buffs or old enough to remember this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCH8U1RVdrQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

Of course.

e;
For those who aren't movie buffs or old enough to remember this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCH8U1RVdrQ

I haven't seen that movie in years but the scene where one of the doppelganger robots gains self awareness and starts going murder crazy has stuck with me. Not a great movie but definitely had some creative moments.

Naturally prime material for a New Vegas mod.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
One of the few vhs tapes I still own. Peter Weller is great even when he's phoning it in

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Playing TTW, just escaped from Raven Rock. All the companions who got auto-dismissed in Vault 87 (Dogmeat, Charon, Cross) are now hostile to me and everyone around them :(

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Much like Aiden Pierce's cap, I would describe Benny's Suit as "iconic" so I am against this change. The new shoes are great though.

edit: vvv lol i didnt notice the space invader pattern the first time, what garbage

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2020

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

boy that is a mess

e: first of all why does it have space invaders pattern. second, why is the white of benny's shoes cleaner and whiter than the white of his jacket

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

What in the goddamn

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That is the worst thing I've seen today.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Nuka-Cola Grape
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70386

Sunset Sarsaparilla Flavors
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70302

If enough of these get made I can merge them together and not be tempted with 61 Flavors anymore. Which has a lot of unnecessary world spaces and additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

drat that Nuka Cola Grape is already deleted. I wonder why? Do you happen to have a copy?

In other news, The Frontier is inching ever closer to release. The dev team just put out this update recently and it seems like we'll be able to play The Frontier before the end of the year:

tgspy - Project Lead posted:

Hey all!

Another week comes and goes, and here's to number three for the developer updates.

The last week saw yet again another huge batch of not only new voice acting, but also primarily casting and auditioning. ACTIONFIGHTER11 and crew have been working insanely hard to get all the voice acting under wraps before release. All major characters are now either complete or in the pipeline, and we only have the smaller characters left to cast and voice! Super exciting for us.

Steam sees more progress with all achievement icons now complete, launcher underway, and the backend components also close to completion.

Placeholder nuking continues, as the space station comes to a near complete final pass of all areas. We're hoping to show some off areas sometime soon. We've also done some major changes to another area that will absolutely blow people away when they see it, we aren't showing it off however, that's a secret ;)

The Crusaders saw another huge bug fix and optimisation pass. We're working through every ending and outcome, ensuring it all plays nice. And we've made some accessibility and gameplay changes here too, to better guide the player on what they should be doing

Interiors have had a ton of work thanks to Agent Fuse, who's been reworking existing interiors that needed it to better fit our quality level. The worldspace has also been undergoing what we're calling our "final pass" with regards to the exterior design, meaning that from this merge onwards, all of the static worldspace design will be 100% final and won't be touched again; prepping for release.

Current release approximation still stands at LATE DECEMBER. We are not of the opinion that this will change unless we run into some extreme preventing factors.

Thanks, and as always if you have any questions, feel free to ask in our dedicated questions channel
~ Tgspy