Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

When does Din earn the jet pack missile upgrade, this is an outrage.

You see, he has to send in proof of purchase for all of the armour pieces he's already bought, plus three accessories from the list (in his case, Whistling Birds Wrist Launcher Action Pack(TM,) Big Game Hunter Trophy Medallion(TM) and Rising Phoenix Jet Pack(TM, not compatible with cape or serape,) and a cheque or money order for $9.95 for shipping and handling, with his parent or guardian's permission, and eight to twelve weeks later, he'll get his Jet Pack Missile Spring-Loaded Blast Pack(TM) in the mail! Very exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Oh interesting. My knowledge of Weequay is quite limited to "the guy who got eaten by the sarlacc with Boba Fett" and Hondo, so that actually helps it to make sense.

"Jedi? Why of course! You are very lucky, my friend, because you have found the greatest expert on Jedi in this sector, if not the Galaxy! Why, I have had many adventures with Jedi! I have fought them, fought alongside them, stolen from them, kidnapped them, saved them from kidnapping... If you want to hear about Jedi, I am the next best thing to a Jedi! Even better than a Jedi! So, my helmeted friend, what do you want to know, and what is it worth?"

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Test Pattern posted:

"Jedi? Why of course! You are very lucky, my friend, because you have found the greatest expert on Jedi in this sector, if not the Galaxy! Why, I have had many adventures with Jedi! I have fought them, fought alongside them, stolen from them, kidnapped them, saved them from kidnapping... If you want to hear about Jedi, I am the next best thing to a Jedi! Even better than a Jedi! So, my helmeted friend, what do you want to know, and what is it worth?"

The best part of this is Hondo wouldn't be lying, for the most part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont care much for Hondo in Rebels which is a shame because he's great in TCW.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They even already did a live-action Hondo! You can see him at Disney!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-aoQqWCDmw

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It's great we get to see another side of Sand People, a tribe of aliens that are just trying to survive in a pretty harsh planet. Everyone else treated them like a dangerous threat. I can definitely imagine that Anakins massacre became part of some oral tradition for generations on, some mysterious wizard showed up and killed a whole tribe of them.

Another thing to note is their characteristic donkey braying speech pattern is obviously them just yelling to get the gently caress out because many of them were pretty chill to Din. Maybe the sign language is reserved for neutral/friendly communication.

And it's a great contrast to when we saw Din dealing with the Jawas in season one; back then it was Din being a hothead and busting out the flamethrower while Kuiil is trying to get him to calm the gently caress down. Here it is Din using the flamethrower to get the Sheriff to calm the gently caress down under a comparable level of "why should I make nice with these assholes?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Laterite posted:

People: You can't hear pictures

Me:

Boba was all of us during that scene. Shame about basically the rest of that movie, but the Slave I dogfight was amazing.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
"They want to kill the dragon too" was one of my favorite lines in all the show, and T.O. absolutely nailed the reaction to that

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

The best part of this is Hondo wouldn't be lying, for the most part.

However with Ahsoka (who was last seen looking for Ezra with Sabine) being a potential part of this seasons, to introduce Hondo into would potentially result in a live action Ezra and Hondo adventure.

Chaos would be assured

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nine-gear crow posted:

Boba was all of us during that scene. Shame about basically the rest of that movie, but the Slave I dogfight was amazing.

The sound direction in it was one of the best things in star wars. too bad it was wrapped in layer after layer of turd

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The pod-race just being "old car noises for ten minutes" was great

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

RRRMMM RRRMMM RRRMMM RRRMMM

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And the winner for best ferrari of the year goes to...

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

I will never not gush about sebulba’s expert tier design, nor will I stop lamenting he wasn’t in a better move e.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I will never not gush about sebulba’s expert tier design, nor will I stop lamenting he wasn’t in a better move e.

The fact he's based on a camel is great

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

The sound design for the pod race is so loving memorable. I legit can hear all the sounds in my head just remembering it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

teagone posted:

The sound design for the pod race is so loving memorable. I legit can hear all the sounds in my head just remembering it.

I play Episode One Racer with the music off just so I can hear all the roars and whooshes and insults as everyone passes me after I wipe out on that one karkin' 110 degree turn

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

TK-42-1 posted:

The sound direction in it was one of the best things in star wars. too bad it was wrapped in layer after layer of turd

Agreed on the sound. I remember that one mine that nuked the asteroid from the first time I saw it and that was cool. Rewatched all three prequels not long ago and, as much as Attack of the Clones mostly bored me the Slave I chase and the first Clone Trooper Battle was cool. Even the Jedi Saber Battle was cool until Yoda started doing flips. The Annakin finding his mom and then killing the Sand People was decently done and would have been fine in another movie. Still think the movie was poorly done and uneven but it did contain some decent moments and the sound on all three movies was always decent. Hell the Phantom Menace was forgettable to kid me except that Darth Maul three way dance and Sebulba. Once that music hits I was sold. Was the only thing I could remember about the first movie aside from the pod race.

Vinylshadow posted:

Sebulba was robbed.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Lucas can do action but he can’t write a normal conversation to save his life.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
My favorite parts of Attack of the Clones are when Jango fights Obi Wan to a standstill and later mercs that Jedi novice on the balcony.

I really didn't like the Jedi in those movies.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Jedi are cops

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cage Kicker posted:

"They want to kill the dragon too" was one of my favorite lines in all the show, and T.O. absolutely nailed the reaction to that

Timothy Olyphant was basically Season 1 Mando without a helmet so we could see his reactions to all the crazy poo poo that Din Djarin now just accepts.

teagone posted:

For all people hate on the prequels, they're a lot more memorable than the new trilogy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Phylodox posted:

He isn’t Ewan McGregor or Ian McDiarmid, so no.

I thought Neeson was pretty good in TPM. Of course he was also somewhat younger so he didn't need 85 different cuts to help him get over a loving fence.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maverick Jedi master who is clearly super talented and in touch with the force that tells the council to gently caress off and that's the reason why they're not on the council is a cool concept. But Qui-Gon somehow ended up just being so booooring.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cage Kicker posted:

The Jedi are cops

Mutaween, technically.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Test Pattern posted:

Considering we know Hondo is alive and kicking up through the Sequel Trilogy era (thanks to Galaxy's Edge), I'd be so goddamned stoked to have him show up to piss off Din at some point.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My own personal Star Wars canon is that the stereotypical Tusken URRRRRRRRR! UR UR URRR! Is actually just them yelling gently caress YOU! and the double hand staff pump over the head is TSL for "cram it mother fucker" which makes the victory scene over the dragon so much funnier on re-watch

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cage Kicker posted:

My own personal Star Wars canon is that the stereotypical Tusken URRRRRRRRR! UR UR URRR! Is actually just them yelling gently caress YOU! and the double hand staff pump over the head is TSL for "cram it mother fucker" which makes the victory scene over the dragon so much funnier on re-watch

Probably just the best way to communicate long distance on a desert planet.

"Is he saying cram it mother fucker or nice to meet you?"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Considering we know Hondo is alive and kicking up through the Sequel Trilogy era (thanks to Galaxy's Edge), I'd be so goddamned stoked to have him show up to piss off Din at some point.

And direct him to the last remaining enemy sorceror, with whom he can leave the child

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

TheCenturion posted:

I highly recommend watching the full Star Wars saga. "The liquor store closes at 11. Race you!"

Youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLINl9l0igYjzIipxsD4Y59_Jjxe4N3pZo

Okay I just finished watching this and the whole thing is like a 6 part atma CYOA thread and its a amazing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really loved the Phantom Menace as child but a couple years ago someone pointed out to me "If Qui-Gon had just maybe, you know, not left Anakin's mom enslaved on a desert planet to an evil pitlord..." and now I just watch a super-cut of the Darth Maul scenes whenever I get nostalgic for it. Qui-Gon and Obi wan could have whisked her away to Coruscant or, literally, anywhere in the galaxy... but they just left her on a hot rock to die even though it was completely within their power to do so.

I can't tell if it's intentionally harsh or if George Lucas literally just doesn't think of Anakin's mom as a character until 9 hours later when he discards and fridges her...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
gently caress yeah it’s intentional. The unwitting cruelty shown to Anakin by the Jedi is the root of the trilogy. Anakin got unethically adopted away from his home, figured he was getting a father figure to replace his mom, then his father figure immediately died and got replaced with a bossy, immature big brother. No wonder he got hosed up.

It wasn’t completely in Qui-gon’s power to do better at the time. Qui-gon couldn’t have just whisked Shmi away since she’s got a bomb in her. They would have needed to buy her freedom which they couldn’t do on account of being broke. Remember he already had to cheat to get to keep Anakin. Maybe he did intend to go back and save Shmi at some point but just died first...but I doubt it, he seems pretty committed to the whole Jedi life of no attachment even if he has unusual religious opinions. And the Jedi as a whole don’t think it is worthwhile to go to the trouble of freeing slaves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It goes to one of the scenes I wish hadn't been cut from Last Jedi. The "enemy islanders raid the settlement" lesson Luke tries to teach Rey in that scene is a great example of what is needed versus what the Jedi actually do. He tells Rey that a Jedi wouldn't act to stop a raid because it would cause problems down the line, and when she runs off to help anyways (it being a party and not a real danger) he actually approves of her choice because doing nothing helps nobody. When you have the power to act, you should. Worrying about what happens later should not mean ignoring what is happening now.

The Jedi were too busy helping a political exile appeal to the government to help stop the injustice sitting at the table serving them dinner with explosive tracking implants keeping them imprisoned.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Was the slaves having bomb implants mentioned in the movie? I don't remember it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

davidspackage posted:

Was the slaves having bomb implants mentioned in the movie? I don't remember it.

SHMI : All slaves have transmitters placed inside their bodies somewhere.
ANAKIN : I've been working on a scanner to try and locate them, but no luck.
SHMI : Any attempt to escape...
ANAKIN : ...and they blow you up...poof!

When they're weathering the sandstorm

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

davidspackage posted:

Really? It was one of Jake Lloyd's finest acting moments.

"...an' they blooow - yoouu - up. BOOM!"

EDIT: Beaten by a minute :-)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

SHMI : All slaves have transmitters placed inside their bodies somewhere.
ANAKIN : I've been working on a scanner to try and locate them, but no luck.
SHMI : Any attempt to escape...
ANAKIN : ...and they blow you up...poof!

When they're weathering the sandstorm

"Huh. Neat. If only there were some wandering wizards who could simply close their eyes and wave their hands and figure that sort of thing out. Or, failing that, if only we were travelling with queen who, once she gets her throne back, could buy every slave around here out of petty cash. Oh well, heigh ho. Say, pass the blue milk? In any event, back to the part where we're somehow contrived to let your son perform in an action-packed death race."

Yeah, the movies tried to show the Jedi as out-of-touch lotus eaters who were dangerously divorced from reality, but they just came off as assholes. All it would have taken was a few expository scenes between Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan.

QG "Padawan, the Jedi are dangerously detached. Of course, we should never act from emotions, especially anger, fear, hatred, or sadness. But we do have emotions, and they can be an important way to guide our actions.
OW: What do you mean, master?
QG: What should we do about Shmi?
OW: I wish we could help her, master, but we can't save everybody.
QG: And how do you feel about that?
OW: Sad. Guilty.
QG: You're right that we can't save everybody, padawan, but we can certainly try. And if feeling sad about the plight of a person standing right in front of you doesn't compel you to act, what will? If the Jedi aren't going to try to save people, why do The Jedi even exist?
OW: But Master Yoda says we can't interfere with people's choices and destinies.
QG: Do you believe Shmi chose to be a slave, padawan? Or that it is her fate, preordained and unchangable?
OW ....no, master, but....
QG: Padawan, once the Jedi were peacekeepers and mediators, living, breathing examples for sentients across the galaxy. Now? Now we spend so much time meditating and walling ourselves away that most think we're only legends and rumors. What does Master Yoda say about the only acceptable use of the Force?
OW: Master Yoda says that the Force is only for knowledge and defence, never attack.
QG: And what knowledge are we gaining locked away in our temples? What are we defending?
OW: I don't know, master.
QG: Nor should you, Padawan. But think about it. Meditate about it. Decide for yourself what a Jedi should be. Don't listen blindly to the council.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

TheCenturion posted:

Or, failing that, if only we were travelling with queen who, once she gets her throne back, could buy every slave around here out of petty cash.

FWIW in one of the canon Padme novels set after TPM, she dispatched her people to do exactly that. Shmi was mysteriously gone by the time they made it back. With both her and Watto (for some reason) nowhere to be found. Perhaps Watto went on a binge after Cliegg bought her freedom.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Teek posted:

FWIW in one of the canon Padme novels set after TPM, she dispatched her people to do exactly that. Shmi was mysteriously gone by the time they made it back. With both her and Watto (for some reason) nowhere to be found. Perhaps Watto went on a binge after Cliegg bought her freedom.

Which just screams 'trying to address the obvious plothole while being constrained by what happens in the next movie.'

Hell, Anakin himself apparently doesn't give his mother a second thought for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

chitoryu12 posted:

They even already did a live-action Hondo! You can see him at Disney!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-aoQqWCDmw

Jim Cummings gave Runas the Shamed in WoW similar inflections . It's a little weird hearing Hondo now, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbqUtnCWd8

(Runas the Shamed is an elf addicted to mana crystals and this was his final speech - its really well done)