Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Nidoking posted:

I hope nobody thought I'd forgotten about this LP. I've just been tied up trying to do something a bit special, but it hasn't come together yet, so I'm just going to move on and, if it ever gets made, stick it in the appropriate position in the playlist. For now, I'm just going to wrap up the loose ends in the Research Sector before moving on with the story. I feel like the Guided Imagery Therapy should be more profound than I found it, but maybe it needs to be experienced directly. However, I find the bottom of Central Research much more interesting, for numerous reasons.

Part 13: Dr. Yoshimi Tokui's Hypnotic Adventure Polsy Youtube Documents

Also, I'm not quite done with the latest DLC yet, but I think they've really got their fingers on the pulse of what we wanted from it. Now I'm a bit sad about how I've been allocating my Skill Points in this playthrough.

The bit where she says she's new to the FBC, but she's an experienced threshold researcher implies that there must be organisations outside of the FBC that do this as well, and the FBC has links to them.

Any other hints as to other FBC-style organisations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

From part 11: Parapsychology you mentioned a specific feeling that is often seen as supernatural, I thought I'd offer my own knowledge of the subject. Deja Vu is not as far as I know what you described but in fact your short term memory activating twice instead of once when making a memory which gives the sensation of experiencing things twice. I hope this helps.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Lord_Magmar posted:

From part 11: Parapsychology you mentioned a specific feeling that is often seen as supernatural, I thought I'd offer my own knowledge of the subject. Deja Vu is not as far as I know what you described but in fact your short term memory activating twice instead of once when making a memory which gives the sensation of experiencing things twice. I hope this helps.

Funnily enough, I got almost that exact comment on the video yesterday. Synchronicity!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Any other hints as to other FBC-style organisations?

I can't think of anything specific at the moment, but all of the incidents I remember from the game were within the U.S., aside from the Havana incident, which was at a U.S. embassy, and the Floppy Disk, which was brought in by CIA agents operating under other authority. The FBC can't possibly have jurisdiction outside the country, so it would make sense that other organizations with the same mission exist in other countries.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nidoking, will you be tackling the DLCs? I got both of them, and I beat the first one back when it came out. I'm not sure if I want to go through all of the second one after such a long layoff, so I'd love to watch decent coverage of it without some shrieking idiot with a green screen

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

Nidoking, will you be tackling the DLCs?

I will absolutely be doing all of that. I'm still working on the second one myself, at the moment, but I'm getting close to the end.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I started watching a play through on YouTube and decided to try it again and forgot that I generally played the base game in small chunks where I'd go through some rooms and hit 1 or 2 control points before calling it a night instead of playing for a long time. For some reason whether it's difficulty or atmosphere or my brain I couldn't really stand playing this game (which I liked!!) more than 30-60 minutes at a time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

I started watching a play through on YouTube and decided to try it again and forgot that I generally played the base game in small chunks where I'd go through some rooms and hit 1 or 2 control points before calling it a night instead of playing for a long time. For some reason whether it's difficulty or atmosphere or my brain I couldn't really stand playing this game (which I liked!!) more than 30-60 minutes at a time.

If it is difficulty, then they've added a lot of new assist features that look really good - everything from auto-aim to invulnerability and one-hit kills. I assume you've got the latest update, so if you haven't looked at the available options, it's definitely worth checking out.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

taiyoko posted:

Maybe I'm just going crazy then, I went and rewatched it in the video and it's definitely there. Though the opening theme being subtitled too would have been nice, at least once because I dunno if it's just their "fake kid voice" or what but I literally only understand the words "Threshold Kids" in it. (I could just have some kind of undiagnosed auditory processing issue or something because there are also times that I can be on the phone and just Not Understand what the other person is saying.)

It is probably because you subconsciously look at the bottom of the tv screen for the subtitles. I missed them at first for this reason.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I think the Bremen Basket could also be referencing Little Red Riding Hood with the end of that report, although it's clearly more openly referencing The Bremen Town Musicians.

With LRRH being "and everyone gets eaten".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Trying to keep on something of a schedule from here on out, I've got another video ready to go. We're pressing on with the story this time, returning to the Maintenance Sector for some Black Rock Prism. All of the Black Rock is just beyond the Atlas Chamber, which may have a purpose, but even after playing as much of the game as I have, I still don't know what it is. Reminds me a bit of Fez, though.

Part 14: The Atlas Polsy Youtube Documents

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

I am surprised they didn't quarantine whole area. After the clocks incident, I think, multiplying piece of paper wold demand immediate attention.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Are you sure the Atlas didn't change? I could swear it looks a lot more spread out when you approached it a second time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't quite remember if I made this comparison before but does the Oceanview motel remind anyone else of The Lost Room?

The Lost Room is a miniseries about a guy who gets a key that turns any door into a portal to a weird motel room. Turns out (Lost Room spoilers) that this motel room was excised from reality such that it and its contents never have existed. Regular objects taken out of it since that Event have basically become Objects of Power.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't quite remember if I made this comparison before but does the Oceanview motel remind anyone else of The Lost Room?

The Lost Room is a miniseries about a guy who gets a key that turns any door into a portal to a weird motel room. Turns out (Lost Room spoilers) that this motel room was excised from reality such that it and its contents never have existed. Regular objects taken out of it since that Event have basically become Objects of Power.

We don't talk about that show, drat you Syfy

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

One of the best parts of Control is getting information from many different sources and finding connections that bring pieces together to give you a deeper understanding of some of the events in the Bureau's past and present. Sometimes, it seems clear that the developers redacted portions of documents just to avoid having to put in specific names or numbers, or because no concrete details could possibly rival what players are likely to imagine if given the space to do so. But at other times, the redactions become obvious once you learn more, even if it's not always clear why certain things would be redacted. Granted, it takes time and attention to comb through the game in that much detail, so I understand why some people might not bother. But they're only playing part of the game, in my opinion. All of this is to say that while there will be a bit of excitement in this video, it will largely be gathering information and learning some very interesting things rather than making much progress. This is something that I decided I would do long before I actually started the LP, so I hope you'll all indulge me. After this, it will be almost entirely progress for a while.

Part 15: Neighbor of the Beast Polsy Youtube Documents

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I see no reason for you to rush ahead. The pace of your handling of the game is perfectly fine. While there a have been a few moments of frustration it's not becuase you went off the beaten path but rather that they have parts you van get to for no reason. Like seriously all the trouble you did to get to that ledge area and they could even put a chest there for you? There wasn't even really that much stroy telling there with the environment either it was just a ledge area with all the same equipment as the other ledge areas bizzar. I do like how you keep finding janitoral equipmnet in the oddest places though. Ahti clearly gets around.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

It's not quite the same as rescuing civilians but doesn't the medic you rescued down in clocks relocate to the shelter up in executive?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Executive certainly gets crowded, as we'll see in a few episodes. I don't recall seeing Wells specifically, but I don't think I've ever checked in the Safe Room after this point. I'll do that as part of my process of completely scouring the building for secrets during the part I like to call "Sidequest Hell". I'm looking forward to discovering a lot of new things during that part - I've already located a couple of documents I never knew existed, and I haven't even started yet.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Most of the world is watching an election wind down as I write this, and by the time I get around to checking for replies to this thread, we'll know which side is the plaintiff in the inevitable lawsuit over the results. So I want to get away from all that for a bit and go stare at rocks. To be fair, these are probably some of the most interesting rocks around. The Quarry Threshold is probably one of the biggest single, open areas in the game, so I really can't cover it all at this point. We'll be back a bit later to check all the nooks and crannies. We're just here for a single Black Rock Prism right now.

Part 16: The Quarry Polsy Youtube Documents

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Well with this night I am glad to have an entertaining distraction. Do the astral spikes also attack the Hiss?

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.

Darling Dimensional Research Memo posted:

Emily is an obvious choice, but who knows what will come out of the doorways we open. Perhaps it's better to keep her somewhere where the work is less unpredictable. But she won't like that.
And there's no way she won't notice a secret new research department. She's too sharp.

In regards to this, it seems to imply that Darling is keeping her out of it for the reason of either because of the danger of the project, or that she might not be able to deal with the "unpredictable" nature of it.
Also, I read it as Darling thinking Emily would not like the fact that she was not on the research team, not that she would not like the results/methods. And either way Emily would find out about it eventually, though it does not seem to imply how she would.

Also, here is a link to the earlier documents that has the memo from Salvador to Arish about the man(David) who made his way into the Foundation. Second document on that page.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

azsedcf posted:

In regards to this, it seems to imply that Darling is keeping her out of it for the reason of either because of the danger of the project, or that she might not be able to deal with the "unpredictable" nature of it.
Also, I read it as Darling thinking Emily would not like the fact that she was not on the research team, not that she would not like the results/methods. And either way Emily would find out about it eventually, though it does not seem to imply how she would.

I always saw that as Darling wanting to keep her out only because he considered it very dangerous, enough so that he expected it to potentially kill everyone involved if something went wrong. So he wanted her uninvolved so there would be someone to take over the department if he went down.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

Do the astral spikes also attack the Hiss?

Absolutely. Going to the Quarry after they've appeared is like a less convenient version of climbing from that one bonfire in Dark Souls to the dragon bridge over and over.

azsedcf posted:

Also, here is a link to the earlier documents that has the memo from Salvador to Arish about the man(David) who made his way into the Foundation. Second document on that page.

If anyone clicked the Documents link, this link was also there. I've added little things like that throughout when they're relevant.

The points about why Darling wanted to keep Emily away from Dimensional Research make sense. I may have been projecting. Maybe there will be more information later that clarifies his reasoning further - I keep thinking I may be drawing from information we don't have yet, but I can't think of anything specific that leads me to the conclusion. I certainly can't think of any immediate reason to believe that Emily would disapprove of a particular avenue for research on moral grounds.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're very close to our goal now. We have the Black Rock Prism that Marshall wanted, and she owes us a lot of information. But there are just too many things to do around the Oldest House to go straight there, don't you think? I'm sure Dylan won't mind waiting just a little longer while we do some sidequests.

Part 17: Golden Suit, Green Thumb Polsy Youtube Documents

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Was that weird Yellow Hue 49:11 a glitch or was that supposed to happen?

Is one of Langston's guards a robot or are they just loving with him?

I have more things to ask/talk about but I want to get those questions off my chest before I go to bed.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The yellow is in the game - I think it's just something odd with the lighting. The PS4 version doesn't have the fancy DirectX graphics from the PC version, I don't think. Probably the same sort of thing that causes signs to appear out of focus unless you stare at them for five minutes at just the right distance.

I don't think either of Langston's guards are non-human, but they either don't have senses of humor or choose not to display them on the job.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm still catching up on this LP, but I absolutely love the memo that explains the threshold kids videos. Specifically, that in this crazy place full of paranormal poo poo where crazy things happen every day and things get posessed on the regular, the super creepy puppet show isn't anything supernatural - it's just incredibly unsettling and creepy because the person who makes it is just genuinely that bad at it and nobody's cared enough or had the heart to tell them so.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 4, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure the person who made those videos was Bethany Harrington, head of Parapsychology. I almost wonder whether she had to deal with any paranatural children in the course of her work, which might have skewed her understanding of what children would be interested in. Then again, the actual real world where we live has produced such wonders as Cool Cat Saves the Kids and The Tommy Wi-Show, so maybe it's not that far from the way some otherwise mundane people really think.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, it's not really out of the realm of the possible, I mean, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulGXKULw_pk

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm going to be pretty much out of commission for the rest of the year as far as LP work goes, so I want to get this posted before things get hectic. This time, we're delving into the Panopticon, home to all of the Altered Items and Objects of Power that aren't elsewhere. There's a lot of neat stuff to see here, but I'm not ready to go out of my way to see it all just yet. I think the reason for that will be clear once we capture that Benicoff TV Langston asked us to deal with in the last episode.

Part 18: The Benicoff TV Polsy Youtube Documents

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mizuti is now the best character

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Remarkably enough, they do have a model number. An outdoor collection box without the drive up chute is usually model number 2273.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Mizuti is now the best character

I don't know who this is, but I can't disagree.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nidoking posted:

I was wondering which thread I made that post in

same

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nidoking posted:

Mizuti is pretty great. Just ask them and they'll tell you so. (they're a character in Baten Kaitos)

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Nidoking Ignoring side quests? Have you been affected by an altered item?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, looks like the FBC's press team is still active despite the bureau lockdown.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/study-finds-diplomats-in-cuba-likely-targeted-by-microwave-energy/ar-BB1bF6bm

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure that the Television and Levitation power are one giant reference to the 1940 superman TV show, what with the TV being confiscated from a man in Kansas who leapt over a building ('“Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.”).

It's why the Board talked about Superhero/Baby sitter.

SITB fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 6, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

Nidoking Ignoring side quests? Have you been affected by an altered item?

No, but it would be a bit out of my way to do them right now (like I did in my first playthrough, of course) compared to starting after the next episode. You'll see why.

SITB posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Television and Levitation power are one giant reference to the 1940 superman TV show, what with the TV being confiscated from a man in Kansas who leapt over a building ('“Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.”).

It's why the Board talked about Superhero/Baby sitter.

Hmmm. Maybe my joke-unredaction wasn't as far off the mark as I thought. But I took Babysitter to be a Board-ism for the TV itself, if that isn't what you meant.

EDIT: In fact, I'm so certain this is exactly what they intended that I went ahead and edited the document list to reflect this.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
phew i finally got passed the LP in my own playthrough so now i feel like i can post in the thread