Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

What's the mod that makes vassals not broke? Because mine always go bankrupt and implode fast.

Difficulty Bonus for Vassals. You'll need to add Protectorates to the list manually since the author forgot them. It still works in 2.7.* and to my knowledge should be fine in 2.8.* due to its subject matter, I haven't updated yet due to an ongoing game so you'll have to check. It should be a pretty quick check since you can just drop the mod into the game and find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Roobanguy posted:

i miss tiles.

I remember when the game came out, I posted a picture of AI building something like a farm on a 4 mineral tile, naturally making fun of it. Now I miss those times when the AI actually built something, anything :(

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Hi thread! I recently discovered stellaris in my steam library (as one does) and have now put in 40 hours in the last three weeks or so. Coming from ck2 and civ, I am extremely confused about everything, but so far guessing has kind of worked out ( like in ck2, my aim is mostly "don't die completely" rather than achieving some sort of specific goal, so working out is rather loosely defined). Any tips for things I should read up on because I'm unlikely to discover/figure it out for myself, and also DLC that are recommended?

So far I've learned that sector automation is the worst, and that I do not understand ship design, fleet composition or war very well. So i guess my next empire should be more militaristic so I'm forced to figure it out.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Complications posted:

Pfff, imagine being part of a federation. If you want a friendly AI buddy get yourself a vassal. With the right mod they keep their resource bonus, they're bound to help you in wars, and you're not taxed for having them. Furthermore, they aren't allowed to do diplomacy so they can't drag you into a war of their own. Mind, if somebody declares war on them you're a part of it, but AI take into account the combined power of overlords and vassals when doing so and if you're as strong as you ought to be it's not an issue.

With enough vassals you don't even need to send your own fleets to break an enemy, the vassal zerg will do it all themselves.

Vassals - get some today.

Get the right mods and you can make a type of federation that works exactly like the lord/vassals relationship but with federation perks as well. And you can subjugate more empires directly into the federation too!

(Federations Expanded, Viable Feudalism and Imperialism, Exalted Domination - Vassals and Tributaries, and Vassals Expanded and Reworked)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Phosphine posted:

So far I've learned that sector automation is the worst, and that I do not understand ship design, fleet composition or war very well.
Don't worry, no one truly does. There are tons of theories (which change and/or expire in patches) but until someone wastes dozens of hours in controlled testing you might just go with whatever. But the basics are to use kinetic against shields, energy against armor and don't use missiles if the enemy is slapping tons of point defense on their ships. No you can't tell what an enemy is randomly throwing on their ships without physically looking. Fallen empires and the various non-empire threats have fixed setups. For example mining drones are always using no shields and lasers (so armored focused ships with kinetics are the worst option).

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 4, 2020

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Mixing armour and shields, weapons against armour and shields and then having more ships than your enemy is usually enough. You can take out some space monsters earlier with designs that target their weaknesses as they usually are either all armour or all shields but that's not necessary. Doomstack taller than your opponent and you'll be fine in 99% of situations.

This is just general beginner advice. Obviously there is nuance to this but for someone who hasn't played for hundreds of hours its fine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
One thing I've always meant to test is whether you're better off with half your ships being armed for anti-shield or anti-armour, or with half the weapons on each ship being anti-shield or anti-armour.

Like, should I be making an all-railguns corvette design and an all-laser corvette design and building equal amounts of each, or should I be mixing the guns?

(all this assumes an enemy who has armour and shields in roughly equal amounts)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gort posted:

One thing I've always meant to test is whether you're better off with half your ships being armed for anti-shield or anti-armour, or with half the weapons on each ship being anti-shield or anti-armour.

Like, should I be making an all-railguns corvette design and an all-laser corvette design and building equal amounts of each, or should I be mixing the guns?

Corvettes: Two shields, one armor, afterburners until your evasion reaches 90% without them. Use two kinetic and one energy weapon (early game, this is two rails and one laser; late game this is two autocannons and one plasma launcher)

Mixing the guns is fine. There's no need to manage multiple classes of the same weight unless you're getting REALLY GODDAMN FANCY with realtime fleet control.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Gort posted:

I'm about the laziest person around, so I make one type of each ship (except titans). Corvettes I just do 1x kinetic and 2x energy (upgraded to autocannon + plasma as I get the techs, with possibly the creature versions as stepping stones). Give them an afterburner once it's researched, and then I set the combat computer to the +tracking version. I also turn on auto-upgrade components, so that as I research new stuff I don't have to go back in and manually update anything.

It's probably possible to get another 10-20% efficiency out of my fleets by making them more specialized, but it's so much simpler to just have one type and not worry about it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^ seconded. I've also done 2 energy 1 kinetic and it's fiiiine

time spent micromanaging a complex fleet structure is better spent managing your planets

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Potato Salad posted:

Mixing the guns is fine.

Sure, but is it optimal. It's not like having two designs of corvette is some impossible micromanagement nightmare.

I remember reading somewhere that ships decide their target based on the state of that target, so ships with anti-shield weapons prefer to attack shielded ships, while ships with anti-armour weapons prefer to attack ships without shields.

What I don't know is whether that means a ship with a mix will shoot at multiple targets, or if it'll focus on only one. If it's the former, mixing your guns is optimal. If it's the latter, making your ships one-trick-ponies is optimal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

What's the mod that makes vassals not broke? Because mine always go bankrupt and implode fast.

for difficulty in general i use Dynamic Difficulty to replace the vanilla difficulty settings since it can actually do things like "start at commodore, then scale up AI bonuses a bit every five years" unlike the default scaling difficulty, which is "start at ensign and reach your chosen difficulty in 2400". one of its side features is applying the AI bonuses to vassalized AIs; the reason your vassals implode is that they are losing the difficulty bonuses that their economy was built around.

for vassal features, i agree with black pants - exalted domination + vassals expanded and reworked is a good combo.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Running a mix of Kinetic/Energy is fine, I only mount enough kinetic weapons to erode shields, opting for Railguns on Medium/Large and Autocannons for Small (Autocannons also do bonus hull damage). For energy I go with Lasers until I have Plasma. Plasma gets a damage bonus to both armor and hulls so it's a no-brainer. Imo only bring enough kinetics to get the job done (chewing shields) and fill in the rest with plasma/protons.

Usually my ships will look like this (adjust shields/armor/hull to suit your needs):

Corvette: AC/Plas/Plas
Destroyer: RG/Plas/Plas/Plas
Destroyer (Picket): AC/AC/Flak/Flak/Guard
Cruiser: don't waste your alloys, wait for Battleships
Battleship: Lance/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton
Titan: Perdition/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton

That said, assuming your enemies aren't using Point Defenses, Missiles/Strike Craft are a solid pick as well. Autocannons can be subbed for Disruptors (Cloud Lightning if you want to use Large slots). Strike Craft can be subbed for Amoeba Flagella if you have it.

Corvette: Missile/AC
Destroyer: AC/AC/Flak/Flak/Guard
Cruiser (Torpedo): AC/Torp/Torp/Torp/AC/AC
Cruiser (Mini-Carrier): Torpedo/AC/AC/Strike/Flak/Guard/AC/AC
Battleship: Disrupt/Flak/Flak/Guard/Guard/Strike/Strike/Strike/Disrupt/Disrupt
Titan: Build it however, Titans don't really mix with Missile/Strike Craft fleets but their Perdition Beam is too good to pass up.
Juggernaut: Arc/Arc/Strike/Strike/Strike/Strike/Strike/Strike/Disrupt/Disrupt/Disrupt/Disrupt/Disrupt

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 4, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

And Tyler Too! posted:

Running a mix of Kinetic/Energy is fine, I only mount enough kinetic weapons to erode shields, opting for Railguns on Medium/Large and Autocannons for Small (Autocannons also do bonus hull damage). For energy I go with Lasers until I have Plasma. Plasma gets a damage bonus to both armor and hulls so it's a no-brainer. Imo only bring enough kinetics to get the job done (chewing shields) and fill in the rest with plasma/protons.

Usually my ships will look like this (adjust shields/armor/hull to suit your needs):

Corvette: AC/Plas/Plas
Destroyer: RG/Plas/Plas/Plas
Destroyer (Picket): AC/AC/Flak/Flak/Guard
Cruiser: don't waste your alloys, wait for Battleships
Battleship: Lance/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton
Titan: Perdition/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton/Proton

That said, assuming your enemies aren't using Point Defenses, Missiles/Strike Craft are a solid pick as well. Autocannons can be subbed for Disruptors (Cloud Lightning if you want to use Large slots). Strike Craft can be subbed for Amoeba Flagella if you have it.

Corvette: Missile/AC
Destroyer: AC/AC/Flak/Flak/Guard
Cruiser (Torpedo): AC/Torp/Torp/Torp/AC/AC
Cruiser (Mini-Carrier): Torpedo/AC/AC/Strike/Flak/Guard/AC/AC
Battleship: Disrupt/Flak/Flak/Guard/Guard/Strike/Strike/Strike/Disrupt/Disrupt
Titan: Build it however, Titans don't really mix with Missile/Strike Craft fleets but their Perdition Beam is too good to pass up.
Juggernaut: Arc/Arc/Strike/Strike/Strike/Strike/Strike/Strike/Disrupt/Disrupt/Disrupt/Disrupt/Disrupt

Don't use disruptors in fleets unless you're running ALL disruptors.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

This should be the thread title

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I DO wish there was a disruptor strike fighter, I recently ran a game where my fleets were 1 Titan, 13 gun battleships, 13 carrier battleships and goddamn do those fighters cut through swarms like a chainsaw

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Fwiw they're just there to fill the slots. Most of them are mounted to poo poo that's well outside their firing range cuz they share a ship section with missiles or a hangar.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 4, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potato Salad posted:

Disruptors + missiles/strike craft are also fine. You get better range at the cost of caring about armour, but you get to keep the ignoring shields. If you have disruptors + plasma or kinetic you're doing a silly thing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 4, 2020

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, I'm looking at all these vassal related mods and they're all either a couple versions out of date or haven't been updated in years :(

I wish there was a way to filter workshop items by version to only show things up to date.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Man, I'm looking at all these vassal related mods and they're all either a couple versions out of date or haven't been updated in years :(

they still worked just fine in 2.7, not sure about 2.8 as i'm taking a big break to give my large modlist time to update but none of the changes in the patch notes seemed like they would break these particular mods

Vassals Expanded and Reworked 2.7
Expanded Domination

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Sure, but is it optimal. It's not like having two designs of corvette is some impossible micromanagement nightmare.

I remember reading somewhere that ships decide their target based on the state of that target, so ships with anti-shield weapons prefer to attack shielded ships, while ships with anti-armour weapons prefer to attack ships without shields.

What I don't know is whether that means a ship with a mix will shoot at multiple targets, or if it'll focus on only one. If it's the former, mixing your guns is optimal. If it's the latter, making your ships one-trick-ponies is optimal.

Guns pick targets individually, supposedly.

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was a way to filter workshop items by version to only show things up to date.

The ones I wrote worked as far as 2.7, I was using all four of them.

Also I've been doing all disruptors lately and it's pretty fun.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 4, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gort posted:

Black Pants posted:

Guns pick targets individually, supposedly.

Cosmetically, guns pick their own targets. If this is actually happening in the maths behind the scenes, I don't know. But if we believe what the screen shows us:
-Mixing guns on the same ship is fine, empirically homogeneous fleets work no worse than mixed ones.
-The long range on spinal mounts/their alpha strike mechanic *works*, evasion don't seem to be an issue / they target big stuff correctly.
-Strike craft quickly hit a point of diminishing/zero returns, as (again, visually) their single-minded nature of chasing down missiles is ruinous if you expect dps from them. Empirically, strike craft deal maybe 1/3 - 1/4 dps as listed. Maybe lower.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New DD out and among other things, building slots no longer based on population but rather infrastructure (capital building tier + city district #.

Wasn't this the initial plan pre-Utopia, in fact?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

canepazzo posted:

New DD out and among other things, building slots no longer based on population but rather infrastructure (capital building tier + city district #.

Yes, it was.

Edit: Agreed that it is much better, tying to pops always seemed ridiculous although tbh I'm skeptical of how useful building slots are at all. Pop growth (to take advantage of the jobs buildings provide) and upkeep cost are already probably sufficient soft caps on buildings imo. But it does enforce a distinction between city-heavy and more "rural" worlds.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 5, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tying building slots to districts sounds way better than pop. Very good change. Do small planets have enough districts to unlock all buildings if it's a 1:1 ratio?

Combining alloy and consumer good production is... weird. And it will be even more difficult to specialize planets into either because it will be now be reliant on FRNG to roll up the factory upgrades and the 2-4 related rare resource techs. Engineering techs.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 5, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Poil posted:

Combining alloy and consumer good production is... weird. And it will be even more difficult to specialize planets into either because it will be now be reliant on FRNG to roll up the factory upgrades and the 2-4 related rare resource techs. Engineering techs.

Honestly I really like the addition of a "generalized industry" district because I always found it really hard to keep up with both consumer goods and alloy production without just devoting all my attention to precisely crafting building loadouts or playing catch-up constantly.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
More engineering techs? :negative: There are already too many. If they had to add +building slot techs, they should have been either in physics under computing or society under statecraft. But really they need to prune/consolidate the tech trees, especially engineering.

Wonder what they're going to do with strategic resources, if anything. Unless the factory/foundry upgrades that buff industrial districts consume a lot of motes, it seems like mote demand will be much lower. And tying metallurgist and artisan jobs together seems like it's going to lead to huge consumer goods surpluses?

Since you rarely need more than 1-2 cities on a planet for housing due to traditions/robots/possibly traits, building slots will probably be really scarce, too.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My first thought was, "But why?" and then someone pointed out to me that I'd overlooked the 'and now alloy forges and civilian industry buildings are planet-unique, and upgrading them adds jobs to the industrial districts' and I'm basically :psyduck: now.

Edit: you can control how many alloy/consumer goods jobs there are at least, so it probably won't lead to that massive a surplus. If you have an upgraded alloy foundry, each industrial district will provide 1 artisan and 3 metallurgist jobs. Or you can build civilian industries and have 3/3. Or 2/3. Or 3/1.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 5, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canepazzo posted:

Holy poo poo I care again

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Black Pants posted:

My first thought was, "But why?" and then someone pointed out to me that I'd overlooked the 'and now alloy forges and civilian industry buildings are planet-unique, and upgrading them adds jobs to the industrial districts' and I'm basically :psyduck: now.

Kinda hope there is more "buildings enhancing related districts" stuff now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

And building slots becoming rarer allows buildings to be more unique and powerful as well. Of course, it's entirely possible they'll fail to follow through on that, but we can probably expect modders to capitalize, at least.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like for a building to add a job to every one of a related district is incredibly powerful. It fully justifies buildings being rarer and also enhances their role as specialization.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

GunnerJ posted:

Kinda hope there is more "buildings enhancing related districts" stuff now.

The dev-replies later on in the thread adds on that they are doing the same kind of thing with the generator and farm enhancing buildings, making them add more jobs per district.

Also that they are in the process of figuring out appropriate ways to fine tune your alloy/CG output from your industrial districts, whether by greater impact of the civilian/military industry focus policy or by planet designation or whatever.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

canepazzo posted:

noooo, my utopian paradise planets where people just sleep on the farm/mine/power plant floor are being rendered obsolete

Gaia worlds don't need buildings to sleep in, they're perfect for all possible species.

E: Seriously, the idea that your spacefaring civilization is going to have scarcity issues is dumb. Minus the ones that have them because 'suffering builds character' or 'xenos can live but not well' which is better reflected by empire or planet specific policies. There's just no reason to have overpopulation be a thing.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 5, 2020

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder what Ecumenpolis worlds will look like now. It also seems that it might not be a 'you are silly not to take this' pick.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

I wonder what Ecumenpolis worlds will look like now. It also seems that it might not be a 'you are silly not to take this' pick.
Also you're more likely to get there organically. Build up cities and industrial districts, flip to full ecu when you run out of living space.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

E: Seriously, the idea that your spacefaring civilization is going to have scarcity issues is dumb. Minus the ones that have them because 'suffering builds character' or 'xenos can live but not well' which is better reflected by empire or planet specific policies. There's just no reason to have overpopulation be a thing.

I mean if we're trying to follow an extrapolation of realism, there's probably no economic/resource need to leave your solar system until you've rendered all the stuff orbiting your star into a full Dyson swarm.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Relevant Tangent posted:

noooo, my utopian paradise planets where people just sleep on the farm/mine/power plant floor are being rendered obsolete

Gaia worlds don't need buildings to sleep in, they're perfect for all possible species.

What about if your planet gets filled up by Nivlacs?

Actual question: am I weird that I always have my science ships research anomalies and projects immediately instead of waiting for the full system survey to be done?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This suggestion for the planet UI is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

prefect posted:

What about if your planet gets filled up by Nivlacs?

Actual question: am I weird that I always have my science ships research anomalies and projects immediately instead of waiting for the full system survey to be done?
For me I'll usually have some scientists kind of blasting into the unknown and others doing backfill. The forward scouts stop for nothing but the backfills will get the 1/2/3s as they appear