Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Electric Phantasm posted:

The thing that gets me is the sound quality of the VA. The voice acting I've heard so far doesn't sound like something they recorded through a tin can in someone's closet.

Granted the last time I've played through a quest mod with VA was when New Vegas was still a couple of years old so this might not be as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be.

There's some real drops in quality (Sickle and his little gang of super mutants springs immediately to mind the audio volumes are way lower than most, though they do a good enough impression of FO4/76 sounding supes

other things that stood out to me, Archon whose VA was fine but I don't know if he's supposed to be so...green? for a ghoul. it looks like the textures for his face are missing

but in general its pretty good and the maybe dozen SS2 npcs (think i read theres something like 40+ total) i enountered were mostly fine to great. whoever did the Stranger did a really good job, his character actually does feel like he could have come as real dlc really solid design work all around there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is there a FO4 sort of... standard mod guide ala Viva New Vegas? I know that guide's got its problems but it is also (comparatively) damned efficient

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What's the consensus on this one? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14997/?tab=description

Hasn't been updated in 4 years and is a "WIP", but I'm interested in perk TCs for this game

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Pretty sure Hot Diggity does it better?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does it also dog ziggity

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ugh, ran into another SS2 bug. The mod said I unlocked the martial/commercial/recreation plots, but they don't show up in the workshop at all.

Guessing I have some sort of mod conflict somewhere, but god drat is that going to be a pain to resolve. Even tried using the holotape to cheat unlock them, to no avail.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tried to play this again and discovered there's Halloween-specific dialogue in the intro sequence of the game, then some ways into the game went to sleep on a mattress outside and promptly died on waking - and autosaves only trigger before, not after, resting.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Out of curiosity does SS2 add a museum type thing to the mainland like SS1 was trying in Far Harbour?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tried to play SS2 and the quest just refuses to start. I had a guy with a pipboy show up at my settlement after I built the radio and he just refused to talk and followed me around constantly. This was on a brand new save.

Edit: looks like some mod conflicts now to figure out wtf it is.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 1, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

SS2 seems pretty stable for me but I got this immortal french bulldog that keeps following me around and getting into fights with NPCs. It was fun to sit in the ArcJet basement for awhile and watch Danse get into a down and dirty close combat skirmish with an immortal French bulldog.

The VA is, on the whole, very good. Did they get the PC VAs to reprise their roles for the mod or did they recycle existing assets?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They recycled existing, sometimes unused, assets. The writing covers a lot of that to make it sound natural, but there are some moments where they had to fudge it a bit.

All in all, still good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey dumb question, just reinstalled this game. How do I actually equip power armor?

I'm doing the Nuka-World DLC, just got the Overboss set. Every time I try to equip it, it says I must be in Power Armor. If I go to a Power Armor crafting bench, I can't equip the items in my inventory either, nor does Transfering them to the bench seem to "place" it in the world for me to step into it like the beginning of the game with the Minutemen quest either. I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but I don't know what :)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Do you have a working Power Armor Frame?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I guess I must not :thunk:

e; like what is a frame? I finally just found another suit out in the world and it doesn't have a frame on it?

Oh well, jokes on me because I don't even remember where I dumped the Overboss gear last night :downs:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 4, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sab669 posted:

e; like what is a frame? I finally just found another suit out in the world and it doesn't have a frame on it?

Oh well, jokes on me because I don't even remember where I dumped the Overboss gear last night :downs:

You hit "E" to enter the power armor, helps if you have a fusion core

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

Take all those pieces off, what's left afterwards is the frame.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Power Armour in F4 is not a regular armour you equip from your inventory, it's more like a vehicle sitting out in the worldspace that you have your character enter into by activating it. The armour pieces you are talking about are supposed to be put into the frame container's inventory to customize it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
F4 Power Armor is just like your regular armor, except the frame is the "body" wearing the parts.

And much like that sketchy "plug-in" mod you got from the Slab, the "body" requires something to be inserted before it works.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got the mod that lets me change out legendary effects, its nice cause now I actually want to hunt down legendary enemies instead of ignoring it all together cause I never get mods on guns I use. Throwing instigator on a sniper rifle feels like cheating though...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They need to keep real unique weapons. Getting rid of those made exploring in fallout four feel so empty

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Take all those pieces off, what's left afterwards is the frame.

Mygna posted:

Power Armour in F4 is not a regular armour you equip from your inventory, it's more like a vehicle sitting out in the worldspace that you have your character enter into by activating it. The armour pieces you are talking about are supposed to be put into the frame container's inventory to customize it.

Thanks. Yea I remembered it was vaguely like a "portable container" of sorts but I couldn't think of how to describe it / figure out what piece of the "puzzle" I was missing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mygna posted:

Remember, it's actually a funny shaped horse with custom horse armor! :pseudo:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

isndl posted:

Remember, it's actually a funny shaped horse with custom horse armor! :pseudo:

So what you're saying is I've been climbing in and out of the mechanical rear end in a top hat of a robot horse, sort of like the rhino in Ace Ventura 2?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Morality_Police posted:

So what you're saying is I've been climbing in and out of the mechanical rear end in a top hat of a robot horse, sort of like the rhino in Ace Ventura 2?

"Giddy Up in the Butt, Ercup."

FO4s PA changes still aren't as fun as FO3/NV, where long before you could *use* power armor, you could cheese at low level by following patrols around until someone died and you could loot the armor, then give it to your companion (Jericho was my choice) and keep following until you got to too dangerous an area or ran out of lootboxes BoS/Outcast patrollers.

<later>

"Why yes, we will teach such a sterling paragon how to use our most precious resource..."

<immediately whip out pristine stupid-rare high-end PA>

"Cool. Say, does this plasma grenade fit in your wallet?"

FO4 does have jetpacks, though, for full Space Marine cosplay action.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Haven't reinstalled since I fixed my computer, and Sim Settlements 2 has me interested.

Looking at options for a new experience, is there a consensus between Hot Diggity versus Be Exceptional?

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
I used hot diggity on my last playthrough.

It had some cool and interesting perks, I liked it.

It uses the old school fallout skill points, so you have to choose between bullet guns and laser guns as opposed to F4's handgun/rifle/big gun setup.

I'd say it's worth a try.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hm. I'm running into an error where it says my "loose files" aren't loading and "PRKF" wouldn't work. I've added bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 to Archive and set sResourceDataDirsFinal= to blank. A little checking says it's LevelUpMenuEx, the base for Hot Diggity--the problem goes away if I take it out of the load order. The internet's suggestion is I need to update the mod, but I'm already using the latest version. I guess Fallout 4 was updated recently enough that LevelUpMenuEx out of date with the runtime?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So is frost really just a "see how long you last" thing or is there an actual end game state for it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leal posted:

So is frost really just a "see how long you last" thing or is there an actual end game state for it?

There's a story if you find and follow the clues

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, whenever I try to install a mod to my game there seems to be a 50/50 chance that it just doesn't get added to the game. Like I tried to install the mechwarrior automatron part mod, and that doesn't work. Neither did the Think Tandy or revenge of brain part mods. meanwhile the mini-liberty prime and claptrap part mods did.

I just don't get it. I'm using MO2, downloading through the MM on Nexus, installing and activating, but its a crapshoot if things work. What the gently caress am I doing wrong?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Are you sure you have MO2 pointing at the right .ini file? I had some problems where that ended up being the cause.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

7c Nickel posted:

Are you sure you have MO2 pointing at the right .ini file? I had some problems where that ended up being the cause.

I have no idea. I can find the .ini/config for a mod easy enough if I need to move it, but I don't know where it is supposed to be or how to get MO2 to see it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

I have no idea. I can find the .ini/config for a mod easy enough if I need to move it, but I don't know where it is supposed to be or how to get MO2 to see it.

Sorry, I said that a bit backwards. Mod Organizer sets up it's own ini files inside it's folders. Did you set those up properly for accepting mods? Because if you just did it for the default Fallout 4 ini stuff doesn't work right.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

7c Nickel posted:

Sorry, I said that a bit backwards. Mod Organizer sets up it's own ini files inside it's folders. Did you set those up properly for accepting mods? Because if you just did it for the default Fallout 4 ini stuff doesn't work right.

Maybe? I don't really remember doing much other than the default when setting up MO2, but doing right click -> open in explorer lets me see there is an ini file in the folder in question, but no idea whether it should be there or elsewhere.

Sorry, not really technically literate about this stuff.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Just open up the MO version of Fallout4Custom.ini and make sure it has this bit.

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

7c Nickel posted:

Just open up the MO version of Fallout4Custom.ini and make sure it has this bit.

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Okay, found the Fallout 4 Custom.ini, currently all it has is
[Display]
iLocation X=0
iLocation Y=0

So I would just drop that in there?

This is... annoying. I knew about doing that in FO3/NV, and then later the mod loaders I used for those automatically invalidated stuff, so I has just assumed MO2 did as well. What a stupid mistake to make.

E: Seems to have worked, thanks.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just copy and past that line into it custom overrides the defaults

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I figured out what was wrong with my game--I'd moved MO2 to the same drive as my F4 and most but not all of the paths were correct and I had to fix that one broken path.

So now I'm in game and I've saved Preston and gang. Sim Settlements 2 is installed--what am I supposed to do to start it up? Also am I supposed to run it with the original Sim Settlements and/or Conqueror installed, or does it come with its own stuff that I'm supposed to use instead?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

marshmallow creep posted:

So I figured out what was wrong with my game--I'd moved MO2 to the same drive as my F4 and most but not all of the paths were correct and I had to fix that one broken path.

So now I'm in game and I've saved Preston and gang. Sim Settlements 2 is installed--what am I supposed to do to start it up? Also am I supposed to run it with the original Sim Settlements and/or Conqueror installed, or does it come with its own stuff that I'm supposed to use instead?

SS1 and all of it's add-ons are completely incompatible with SS2.

To start SS2 there's a magazine on the Sanctuary workbench that'll let you make the vanilla recruitment beacon, make it, then power it up and a special character should show up to get you on your way.

Just bear in mind there's still bugs in the main quest they're still trying to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hm. Missed that. What is the magazine called? Some things may still be broke on my end.