Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wait to unload / pickup only really works for feeder islands. You've got a centralized hub island that receives goods from all surrounding islands, you'd tell a ship to wait to load before heading off to Cape Trelawney (because a feeder ship might drop off the resources needed for the Cape Trelawney ship to travel fully laden). Same goes for wait to unload, feeder ships arriving at the island can wait to unload to ensure the stockpile is always maxed out, so when ships coming to pick up goods to take them to different regions arrive, they'll always leave with a fully loaded cargo hold.

Even made a janky little picture. Red ship waits to load, orange ships wait to unload. Means red ships always travel to new regions fully loaded, which means you need fewer ships (because 2 ships making the trip only carrying 20 goods can be made by 1 ship carrying 50). Orange ships take up pier spots to ensure storage is always maxed out so you have uninterrupted important trade routes to other regions. Would make designating piers for specific trade routes a pretty handy QoL addition. Or a max wait time, like Factorio trains have [leave when fully loaded, or max 10 minutes have passed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The way I think about it is the "optimal" ship would instantly load, travel, and instantly unload. Trying to over complicate things with other options isn't worth it to me a lot of the time. If the travel time of the ship is an issue you need a second ship soon anyway, and adding waits isn't going to improve the situation as you scale up. It likely won't harm it either.

Oil is an exception given its odd nature. I use waits for it. Early-mid game is also a bit different given you're more limited in influence and you maybe haven't scaled certain new world goods to "multiple ships full". From an optimization perspective, there should be a time and place for all options. But in terms of optimizing human time, I'm too lazy and the gain of setting waits isn't clear to me most of the time.

edit: After posting, maybe I'm recalling wrong how I use them in newer saves. I know I used to never use either, but I think I started using one of them and not the other. Just do what seems simple to you imo, Anno is a very flexible game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 3, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So apparently almost the entire Anno series is on 75% off sale on Steam today.

Gonna pick up 2205's DLC season pass for sure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up the season pass in the big sale last night and my main save, the Tlaloc Initiative, has rolled into the new sectors.

If you really, really love layout optimization puzzles, Orbit is the DLC for you. On the other hand, I've concluded that if you're not trying to wring every drop of expertise you can out of it, feel free to ignore your astronauts being unhappy. Key tech here, imo, is Animal Rights Policy: you can substitute rice for beef in luxury meals, letting you eliminate all those expensive, huge, awkwardly shaped cattle ranches and the soy farms that feed them. The cows moo no more within the Tlaloc Initiative, and the soybean blight has been eradicated.

Be warned, have a thriving arctic base before trying to develop the tundra. These people consume unholy amounts of fish and stimulants, which all have to be shipped in from the arctic.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Be warned, have a thriving arctic base before trying to develop the tundra. These people consume unholy amounts of fish and stimulants, which all have to be shipped in from the arctic.

Ideally, have two or 3 arctic bases to be quite honest. Your arctic researchers' Fish and Pills intake is modest compared to your Tundra researchers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Ideally, have two or 3 arctic bases to be quite honest. Your arctic researchers' Fish and Pills intake is modest compared to your Tundra researchers.

That's no joke. I completed all the base game's sector projects in this save, and I think my tundra settlement - I got up to building the high-security labs - is consuming more fish and pills than all of my arctic sectors combined.

It's a bit disappointing, though, that almost every building in the tundra is just a palette swap of a building from elsewhere. I think the only new building models I've seen are the natural gas driller, the biocatalyst factory, and the aerogel factory.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Key tech here, imo, is Animal Rights Policy: you can substitute rice for beef in luxury meals, letting you eliminate all those expensive, huge, awkwardly shaped cattle ranches and the soy farms that feed them.

Honestly the tier3? replacement in each tree is incredibly useful.
Also I always finish up my game with the Extra workforce capstone from Biotech.
Because it gives you +10 workforce per android in storage, per sector.

Lategame that can easily mean 5000-6000 workforce in each sector, for free, without any upkeep or maintenance.
It's completely viable to run a 100% autonomous moonbase, with no need to support citizens up there.
(Free, as in they'll cost no upkeep, but you'll have to scale up your android production enough to ship some out to other zones over the course of the game.
But since you're in the biotech tree anyhow, that means you'll be producing neuro-enhancers in the temperate regions as a byproduct of android production anyhow. :toot: )

On Anno 1800 news, I've been trying a new run, with Population Density smacked on.
Aka population and consumption is doubled. Meaning that farmers give 20 inhabitants per building. (W-40,A-60,E-80,I-100. S-240)
I just hit the first engineer unlock, and I've already got a population of 32,000. That's where I usually am with investors + world fair during the endgame period.

In one way, the increased population density really just means that you have more available space.
But at the same time it means that since I still haven't changed how my cities get built or set up, they now consume 2x the resources, and I'll likely have to convert the entire old world map just to supply crown falls.
(Even though I've only built up a small 'old town' in the river, and up by the lake, still haven't started on the grand engineer+investortown in the middle of the lowland plains.)

It + the attractiveness rebalance (Spice it up, nerfs museum collections, boosts ornaments.) I'm going to have a go at actually making pretty city parks and etc this time around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

Honestly the tier3? replacement in each tree is incredibly useful.
Also I always finish up my game with the Extra workforce capstone from Biotech.
Because it gives you +10 workforce per android in storage, per sector.

Lategame that can easily mean 5000-6000 workforce in each sector, for free, without any upkeep or maintenance.
It's completely viable to run a 100% autonomous moonbase, with no need to support citizens up there.
(Free, as in they'll cost no upkeep, but you'll have to scale up your android production enough to ship some out to other zones over the course of the game.
But since you're in the biotech tree anyhow, that means you'll be producing neuro-enhancers in the temperate regions as a byproduct of android production anyhow. :toot: )

At the moment I've got for more passive bonuses: +20% production to agriculture and energy, beef substitution, and +10% heavy industry production.

I think if I rejigger things I may try to pick up the energy capstone for every house to produce energy. Power is still an irritating little mechanic.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

That awkward moment when you realize that the way promoting residences work in Anno games and how you keep pushing the city out with new houses to replace the promoted ones is basically uncritical game-play mandated gentrification as a game mechanic.

I always felt like, say, an executive tower block must mean one executive in the penthouse, a bunch of mid tier people in the apartments with balconies and the poors in lovely studio flats at the bottom.

Otherwise the city population would be like 20,000 suits and 200 guys who do all the actual work.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I picked mercier, gasparov, and von malching for my ai bros this time around. Malching is PISSY about how fast I am hoovering up all of the islands, but respects my propaganda. I'm also doing quests for him so he maybe won't declare war on me. I have ramped things up pretty quickly and am making steel beams pretty handily now.

The question is this: how will my new world and trelawney look? He is more aggressive in expansion than mercier and gasparov, but how does he stand in regards to O'Mara? I have a sneaking suspicion that he is going to be all over in the new world. I want to get a couple of the big islands in trelawney for that sweet oil and farm space.

I'm very confident in my ability to blow him to hell if/when he declares war on me. I can pay the iron price for his islands.

Anno is a lot more fun than American politics.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

vandalism posted:

I picked mercier, gasparov, and von malching for my ai bros this time around. Malching is PISSY about how fast I am hoovering up all of the islands, but respects my propaganda. I'm also doing quests for him so he maybe won't declare war on me. I have ramped things up pretty quickly and am making steel beams pretty handily now.

The question is this: how will my new world and trelawney look? He is more aggressive in expansion than mercier and gasparov, but how does he stand in regards to O'Mara? I have a sneaking suspicion that he is going to be all over in the new world. I want to get a couple of the big islands in trelawney for that sweet oil and farm space.

I'm very confident in my ability to blow him to hell if/when he declares war on me. I can pay the iron price for his islands.

Anno is a lot more fun than American politics.

If you're not in the New World yet you better go soon. Trawleney waits for the player to complete the quest I think.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

physeter posted:

If you're not in the New World yet you better go soon. Trawleney waits for the player to complete the quest I think.

Yeah, I'm going to make that a priority. I just unlocked my first artisan and will be sending out my ship as soon as I get on today. I have about 5 or so old world islands and am gearing up on my steel production to expand further. I'm curious about what his new world presence is. I've used this map seed before and I know that i can succeed with about 2 or 3 islands... the issue is going to be that he wants the same islands i want. The bastard sailed all the way across the map to claim my red pepper island and I was pissed, so I reloaded from about 10 minutes before that to outplay him. He's more fierce than O'Mara, i think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All of a sudden the Greentide Archipelago project, going from island to island to activate reactors with increasingly arduous requirements, made sense to me when I realized that it's basically a city optimization challenge. You have a fair amount of land to work with across the sector, but it's divided across tons of mostly very small islands, and the mountain and coast building slots are mostly on non-reactor islands. The idea being that you need to concentrate your population and services on the reactor islands while offloading the resource production to the other islands, and preferably import as much as you can from other sectors.

I'm currently on the 100k investors island, and this is taking some doing and requiring expansion of settlements in other sectors to provide the skyrocketing requirements of Vivienne and her pals. Given the limited room, I'm considering building a corporate headquarters here simply for the services, cost be damned.

Fun little challenge to be sure, but if anyone's new to the game good Lord I would not recommend starting here unless you want a challenge.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is that one of the starting options?

I remember getting around to that project pretty late into my save, I figured I'd just go around snapping up all the islands since I figured I'd need the space, only to really quickly run into pricing walls. I think I hit points where I literally couldn't buy more islands without ranking up so I could have a bigger money cap.

Definitely could see how it could be tough as an early/main temperate base.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

They changed it so you can start in any temperate zone in 2205 now. Which, yes, includes the Nick Papadopadopadopalous one where you rebuild a prototype trade base for extra global trade routes.

I would not recommend that one for obvious reasons of "oh god why did I start on these tiny islands?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

They changed it so you can start in any temperate zone in 2205 now. Which, yes, includes the Nick Papadopadopadopalous one where you rebuild a prototype trade base for extra global trade routes.

I would not recommend that one for obvious reasons of "oh god why did I start on these tiny islands?"

Yep, Greentide is even worse in that regard. As it is, I'm enjoying the Greentide project. The hard part is optimizing your city layouts, but the bulk of the work is expanding the rest of your empire to support another 100k investors.

Edit: In case anyone picked up 2205 in the sale, my recommendations for starting sectors in order of priority:

Temperate

1. Walbruk Basin. Power generation is a motherfucker in the early game, and the project here helps tremendously with that while still giving you plenty of land to work with.

2. Wildwater Bay. Most of this zone is one huge island, giving you tons of land to build to your heart's content. You won't get any benefit from the project for a while, but it will be helpful when it does come online.

3. Viridian Coves. About as much land as Wildwater, but the project here is purely cosmetic.

4. Cape Ambar. The project here is useful, but it has the smallest landmass yet and it's very spread out.

5. Madrigal Islands (DLC). Do you like tiny islands and a project meant to be a challenge for experienced players that offers a highly questionable reward? Good challenge for later in the game if you want that.

6. Greentide Archipelago (DLC). Even more, even tinier islands than Madrigal, what fun! Very much meant to be an escalating challenge in city optimization later in the game.

Arctic

1. Akia Floes. Free logistics isn't as helpful as the power in Walbruk Basin but it's still nice, and there's enough room here to get you comfortably to the moon.

2. Ikkuma Glacier. I find I use more petrochemicals than the other rare resources, so the sector project is here and it offers a lot of land to work with.

3. Saavik Province (DLC). If you urgently need more arctic land, here you are. Lots and lots of land, and the sector project gives you huge zones of warmth to build more houses in.

4. Kinngait Protectorate. Has the most water slots of the arctic if that's what you need, but the project is purely cosmetic.

Moon

1. Novikov Crater. Free workforce for the sector project! Yes please! That's rather urgent on the moon.

2. Iwamoto Crater. The magnetite is eh, but there's a load of cliff slots here (if at the cost of potentially squeezing you on space).

3. Mare Relictum. If you need a lot of open land on the moon, I guess...?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 5, 2020

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Welcome to my Crown Falls. I'm about out of steam on this playthrough, but thought I would share.

The approach that visitors see from the waterline. This is 40k+ investor city. I have other investor colonies on other islands, but Crown Falls is obviously the largest by far.

This corner of the city has the zoo. This zoo has every animal (not just the sets), with the exception of the domestic animals and the unaffiliated birds. The birds have their own Aviary in another part of this city.

One of the main roads. I had hoped to make this Crown Falls entirely gas powered, but some oil is needed for the outlying farming villages and industrial areas. But it doesn't have to look terrible.

The concert hall at the Crown Falls Zoo overlooks the bay.

On the other side of the landmass are the piers of Crown Falls, where the actual work gets done.

Directly behind the piers is Tinkertown, a walled neighborhood of engineers. Nearly all of the engineers live here.

By design, Tinkertown is very industrial and claustrophobic. I tried very hard to build this map as a city of neighborhoods and to reject the clump of decreasing-status city style that's become the standard in the game. All the watches, spectacles and jewelry in my little empire are made right here. There are zero production buildings for those items anywhere else.

Keeping on with the neighborhood theme, these are the shipyards, backed by a worker neighborhood. By leaving gaps between the houses and building little yards for them, I get what looks a bit like a little seaside town.

The Palace is entirely surrounded by the Botanical Gardens, which serve as the palace grounds.

Overhead shot of the Palace and gardens. This Botanical Gardens is a complete set, with some extras. Some exhibits and the concert are inside the Palace walls.

I found this guy just behind the main Palace building when I was running around in 1st person mode. If you go back out to overhead view, he vanishes! Might be a holiday quest that was never finished, or is on the way...

physeter fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 6, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
poo poo, how many hours is that? It's great. Also: do you produce anything in crown falls, or is everything shipped over? Kudos!

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Popoto posted:

poo poo, how many hours is that? It's great. Also: do you produce anything in crown falls, or is everything shipped over? Kudos!

Alot of hours. Much is made here, because it is really not efficient to ship investor product into an investor city of this size, the consumption rate being what it is. Because Crown Falls has so much iron, you're basically crazy to try and supply bicycles from offshore. I didn't think anyone would care, but here's a shot of my bicycle manufactory, which effortlessly consumes every scrap of iron not just on Crown Falls but on the entire Trawleney map, and which makes the vast majority of the bicycles for the empire:

And here's an overhead of how I try to make my investor residences. Most have interior handmade gardens and plaza. If I collapsed these and got rid of buildings that investors don't need, it'd probably be a 60k city. But gently caress that.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm always a little envious of those who build cities that actually look nice, but can't bring myself to give up on my precious 4x2 house blocks and slapdash placement.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Eschatos posted:

I'm always a little envious of those who build cities that actually look nice, but can't bring myself to give up on my precious 4x2 house blocks and slapdash placement.

:same:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I religiously consult the giant worlds fair city map on the wiki and only use the map seed that can support said configuration. If i don't do this I can't play the game. Maybe it's OCD... hmm.

I keep telling myself im gonna start on some random seed and build to the contours of the rivers and enjoy myself... then I go back to seed 16 and plop down a soulless grid of slums. Meh.

I heard that people are encountering a bug where the AI has settled Enbesa before the player starts the dlc expedition. I hope they are fixing this in the upcoming dlc addition and patch incoming on the 11th.

City lights looks really good for nice cosmetic stuff.

Also, I read that playing the game with steam and ubisoft connect or whatever in offline mode increases game performance. I tried that last night and will probably continue playing like that.

The above city is beautiful, by the way! Awesome work.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but another good source of income is fencing gold for the pirates.
If you have a trade agreement with them they'll eventually start selling gold for 2.770. They buffer up to 150, and seem to resupply at 4/min.
Nate will buy gold for 4.432, meaning you make a profit of 2.162 per unit. If you assign a frigate to a trade route between the pirates and Nate it seems to align nicely with the pirates being back at 150 pretty much exactly when the frigate returns.
If you manage to make the round-trip without the pirates maxing their buffer so you get to buy all they can supply that means a profit of $17.096/min for "free", as long as you have a few hundred k for seed capital to buy the first load.

2.162 per unit, times 4 units/min, times 2 pirates - 200 for 2x frigate upkeep.

And then you can assign a Drew Durnill to the frigates for 15% off the gold price on top of that for $19.820/min.

A drop in the bucket when you're swimming in investors, but very nice when expanding.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

physeter posted:

Welcome to my Crown Falls. I'm about out of steam on this playthrough, but thought I would share.

Wow this looks fantastic, thanks for sharing! Think I would've run out of steam well before that point, but kudos to you for sticking with it - it's seriously impressive.

Do you normally play with the day/night cycle on?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Caconym posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but another good source of income is fencing gold for the pirates.
If you have a trade agreement with them they'll eventually start selling gold for 2.770. They buffer up to 150, and seem to resupply at 4/min.
Nate will buy gold for 4.432, meaning you make a profit of 2.162 per unit. If you assign a frigate to a trade route between the pirates and Nate it seems to align nicely with the pirates being back at 150 pretty much exactly when the frigate returns.
If you manage to make the round-trip without the pirates maxing their buffer so you get to buy all they can supply that means a profit of $17.096/min for "free", as long as you have a few hundred k for seed capital to buy the first load.

2.162 per unit, times 4 units/min, times 2 pirates - 200 for 2x frigate upkeep.

And then you can assign a Drew Durnill to the frigates for 15% off the gold price on top of that for $19.820/min.

A drop in the bucket when you're swimming in investors, but very nice when expanding.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Thought I'd start a new game with actual victory conditions. Then looked at them and realized that I basically meet or crush all of them before I lose steam if I ever get going.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

webmeister posted:

Do you normally play with the day/night cycle on?

Thanks. I do yeah. When they added it in it was sort of not very paid attention to, which I think is a shame. The light placement is really gorgeous on a lot of the buildings, and with the cycle enabled you get some different activity around pubs and such.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I showed up to enbesa in my new game and every free island was colonized. gently caress.

Its a known bug I guess and I think that the patch next week will fix it but it sucks. Not sure how they can un-colonize my poo poo.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Am I insane, or does the Inuit Trading Post no longer sell any production improving items? It seems to only be selling museum or zoo items.

Edit: Nevermind. Checked back an hour later and now he sells nothing but production improving items.

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 8, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

vandalism posted:

I showed up to enbesa in my new game and every free island was colonized. gently caress.

Its a known bug I guess and I think that the patch next week will fix it but it sucks. Not sure how they can un-colonize my poo poo.

that sucks. time to turn to gunboat diplomacy!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Popoto posted:

that sucks. time to turn to gunboat diplomacy!

Churning out battlecruisers currently!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Continuing to work on the Greentide Archipelago in Anno 2205. This island's challenge remains 100,000 investors on this one little island. Currently sitting at an even 40,000.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I'm playing some 2070 as a short break from 1800 and I think I've realized why 1800 clicked with me while 2070, the first Anno I tried, did not. 1800's labor system, where buildings require appropriate laborers to function, makes more intuitive sense than the citizens being mostly a tax base and number that buildings are gated behind. I also prefer the ability to build structures anywhere in 1800 rather than being restricted to a radius from a warehouse. While the end result of both sets of mechanics produces similar city layouts, the 2070 way (which is closer to older Anno games it seems) was harder for me to understand in the past.

also the UI in 1800 has spoiled me. Regardless of the bells and whistles aesthetics I'm just astounded that 2070 doesn't tell you the rate of production for resources, that I have to look it up in a wiki. I'd understand if it was a 90s game that expected you to reference a physical manual but I thought we got past that poo poo sooner than when 2070 came out.

edit: this post sounds more negative than how I actually feel. 2070 does have a cool style of its own and I dig the eco-disaster theme, and I like the campaign much more than the 1800 campaign.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 9, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Danimo posted:

also the UI in 1800 has spoiled me. Regardless of the bells and whistles aesthetics I'm just astounded that 2070 doesn't tell you the rate of production for resources, that I have to look it up in a wiki. I'd understand if it was a 90s game that expected you to reference a physical manual but I thought we got past that poo poo sooner than when 2070 came out.

You say that, but the designers disagree.
It took some pushback from the fanbase before the devs conceded and slipped in the statistics view as a patch for 1800. It wasn't present ingame at launch.
(There are statistics buildings in 2070 however, but amusingly they give a lot of information about everything.... except production/consumption t/min of various things.)

Also mentioning the warehouse radius from 2070, interestingly the game also has freebuild anywhere on an island.... provided you have the tech monument.
I cannot remember if it only provided it on the island it was built on, or if it just pushed it onto all your islands, however.

But yeah, 2205 very much mellowed some of the features in the series, and while 1800 tried to resist some of them (statistics view.) they very much ended up becoming expected QoL features in the series.

Hopefully the devs will have the sense to have statistics in place on day 1 in the next anno. (And also Coop, god, it took them like a year to patch actual coop instead of just multiplayer into the game.)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think by production ratios they meant the whole "1 minute for hops fields, 30 seconds for malt roaster, 1 minute for brewery" information as well, which iirc wasn't in earlier games either.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah yeah, that too.
(Though I really wish they'd give them up in X/min, as opposed to mm:ss/ton. aka 0.66 / min, instead of 1:30. It takes me a second to convert things whenever they stray away from 0:15, 0:30 and 1:00.)

I keep forgetting that 2205 didn't have that, but instead had those instantly updating popups whenever you slapped something down.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
So what was the intended way to play without that information to hand? Did they expect players to time production manually and make their own reference documents? Where you just supposed to play it by ear and keep adding buildings to your production chains until you saw the warehouse stock stabilise?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

ZeusJupitar posted:

So what was the intended way to play without that information to hand? Did they expect players to time production manually and make their own reference documents? Where you just supposed to play it by ear and keep adding buildings to your production chains until you saw the warehouse stock stabilise?

Excellent question.
I have the suspicion that it was one of those things they never presented due to lack of UI/UX development and consideration in the early games. (and possibly having that sort of stuff in the manual for quick reference.)
And then the devs kind of internalized it as part of the challenge after 1.5 decades+ of it being the norm.

Then the pushback against the 'simplification' in 2205 emboldened them in that position.
And the immediate demand for it once 1800 rolled out from the fanbase showed that oh whoops, turns out the majority of players actually liked being able to quickly and easily see production levels.

It's something I've quite wondered about for ages, and it seems like the kneejerk reaction to 2205 at release made the devs learn the wrong lessons from it.
Though thankfully 1800s success gave them enough development time to implement them properly. And I hope they'll just keep on QoL-polishing it up in future releases.

It's impossible to say though unless one of the devs speaks out on the internal stance and etc.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

ZeusJupitar posted:

I know this is going to sound weird, but that is actually some of the appeal for me. I'm OG gamer, early PC games meant physical notepads and graph paper. As crazy as it sounds, this stuff adds to the "mystery" of figuring out how Anno works, and then making it work successfully and feeling good about accomplishing that, even if it was mostly going on the fan wiki, or sketching out giant chocolate/plantain factory installations while I'm sitting in zoom meetings. I'll admit that I'm a pretty narrow slice of the gaming market though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Maybe not so narrow. Narrow among those that discuss video games on the internet, probably.