Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's been a while since I've played them, but most of the Skyrim civil war quests were small scale operations. Each hold ended on a fort raid that was you and 4 respawning dudes vs 4 respawning dudes or whatever, but the quests prior were smaller targets.

I can't remember them all, but you had to intercept a stormcloak courier to obtain and forge documents, blackmail the Riften steward, raid a stormcloak caravan, and bust some prisoners out.

I imagine if the civil war was even remotely finished, there'd have been more stuff like that.

There was also the race to excavate the lost crown of the High Kings of Skyrim.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's been a while since I've played them, but most of the Skyrim civil war quests were small scale operations. Each hold ended on a fort raid that was you and 4 respawning dudes vs 4 respawning dudes or whatever, but the quests prior were smaller targets.

I can't remember them all, but you had to intercept a stormcloak courier to obtain and forge documents, blackmail the Riften steward, raid a stormcloak caravan, and bust some prisoners out.

I imagine if the civil war was even remotely finished, there'd have been more stuff like that.

So if I remember correctly, each of those missions was just like a one-off combat encounter. I'm envisioning a questline that leads up to each mission, with cool dungeons/areas to go through. For example you have to figure out where the courier is going to be before you can catch him. I do remember liking a prison escape quest, although I don't recall if it was a civil war one or the one for the kid from that family in Whiterun.

Maybe I actually just want to play a different game than a TES game. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ot would be fun to do small-scale missions on a battlefield or with a battlefield as a backdrop

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I agree Bethesda should stop trying it (no one is playing their games for that) but has any non-RTS ever done big full-scale battles well? Even in a newer game like AC Odyssey where having more than thirty enemies onscreen at once didn't completely melt the engine they were easily the worst part.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree Bethesda should stop trying it (no one is playing their games for that) but has any non-RTS ever done big full-scale battles well? Even in a newer game like AC Odyssey where having more than thirty enemies onscreen at once didn't completely melt the engine they were easily the worst part.

mount and blade

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Wolfsheim posted:

Dynasty warriors?

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Dynasty warriors?

I’d be happy with a TES game where I could Lu Bu my way through a pack of Thalmor.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Earth Defense Force but all the giant ants are Altmer

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I would purchase TES Adventures: Alessian Warriors

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Some more news regarding Starfield from Todd the man himself, including a 1 hour interview with him :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/11/03/bethesda-reveals-first-new-starfield-info-in-a-long-while/

Some snippets :

There will be a huge overhaul of the central Creation Engine, the thing that powers most existing Bethesda RPGs. Howard says that it will be a larger jump than it was moving from Morrowind to Oblivion....

....Starfield will be completely single player.

Both Starfield and ES6 are using procedural generation for the map, which in this case is not about randomly generated terrain, but more about scale. Promises to be “much larger” than the Fallout 76 map, which is itself 4x Skyrim’s size. Cities, specifically, are mentioned as being much larger than past games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Procédure génération sounds awful to me, but larger cities would be fantastic, it's so hard going back to skyrim cities after seeing novigrad. Hopefully they don't also make half of the quests randomly generated.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oui, that would be dommage.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I wouldn't mind procedurally generated NPCs walking around like guards and random townfolk though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It'd be nice for the population density but I don't wanna have to wade through a pool of no name NPC's when I'm trying to find someone to give me some quests or lore or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd be 1000% fine with a poo poo ton of gameplay mods added in to Daggerfall Unity to tick all these boxes.

We need Super Daggerfall. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It'd be nice for the population density but I don't wanna have to wade through a pool of no name NPC's when I'm trying to find someone to give me some quests or lore or something.
*plays voiced monologue from a hundred procedurally generated Nazeems as the player walks within social distance.*

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 4, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

*plays voiced monologue from a hundred procedurally generated Nazeems as the player walks within social distance.*

Okay I'm on board

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Poil posted:

A thousand Cloud Districts that we never go to...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Some more news regarding Starfield from Todd the man himself, including a 1 hour interview with him :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/11/03/bethesda-reveals-first-new-starfield-info-in-a-long-while/

Some snippets :

There will be a huge overhaul of the central Creation Engine, the thing that powers most existing Bethesda RPGs. Howard says that it will be a larger jump than it was moving from Morrowind to Oblivion....

....Starfield will be completely single player.

Both Starfield and ES6 are using procedural generation for the map, which in this case is not about randomly generated terrain, but more about scale. Promises to be “much larger” than the Fallout 76 map, which is itself 4x Skyrim’s size. Cities, specifically, are mentioned as being much larger than past games.

But still only three or four voice actors for 90% of the NPCs. And said NPCs will still have potato faces. And 90% of the quests will be boring radiant quests.

I am also not sold on game worlds being huge just for the sake of being huge. Fallout 76 is a chore to travel around on foot and you just fast travel everywhere. Fast traveling costs money which for new players that cost can add up quick. It wouldn't be so bad if there were mounts/vehicles or even a reduced cost but slower taxi service (think flight paths from World of Warcraft). Though mounts were so bad in Skyrim that I never used them except for the ghost skeleton horse due to it being infinitely summonable.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Just started playing Oblivion again with that mod that turns levelling into the traditional XP system. And loving hell that's so much better than vanilla, at least with OOO and MOO installed. The first time I've ever felt like I wanted to dungeon crawl.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Starfield is just going to be a sci-fi reskin of Daggerfall

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

whydirt posted:

Hopefully.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

whydirt posted:

I'm all set then :toot:

gently caress, I love Daggerfall. As soon as I'm done this project I'm working on, I'mma try and beat it, finally.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just started playing Oblivion again with that mod that turns levelling into the traditional XP system. And loving hell that's so much better than vanilla, at least with OOO and MOO installed. The first time I've ever felt like I wanted to dungeon crawl.

*spends 100 hours swinging a sword and become an archmage instead*
???

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MH Knights posted:

But still only three or four voice actors for 90% of the NPCs. And said NPCs will still have potato faces. And 90% of the quests will be boring radiant quests.

Do you...like Bethesda games

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

first they got rid of climbing, then levitation, so my prediction for starfield is that it won't have jumping

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

*spends 100 hours swinging a sword and become an archmage instead*
???

Yeah it's good. I can be an orc warrior and not have to do stupid poo poo like constantly cast cantrips or brew thousands of bread smoothies before my meat shakes are ready.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah it's good. I can be an orc warrior and not have to do stupid poo poo like constantly cast cantrips or brew thousands of bread smoothies before my meat shakes are ready.

Just use the console commands

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope they keep the sallout four style companions and the mod system for guns and change nearly everything else. I had completely forgotten how bad they hosed up perks and skills in that game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I really liked the weapon modding in Fallout 4. I can't see how it would be applicable in Elder Scrolls, but I could see how you could still work with armour customization.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I really liked the weapon modding in Fallout 4. I can't see how it would be applicable in Elder Scrolls, but I could see how you could still work with armour customization.

I could see it as a sort of refinement of the enchanting system. Make different enchantment orbs that you can slot into weapons like materia.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Just like the melee weapon slots in Fallout 4
[Hilt] - [Blade] - [Enchantment] - [Legendary/Unique]

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

todd howard came to my house and forced me at gunpoint to join the mages college when i was playing my orc warrior character

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You too? I thought it was just me, whose gonna put a stop to this monster.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Why when I can use a mod?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why when I can use a mod?

Why walk when you can ride?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You lack honor.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Console commands are canon.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
console commands are the caveman's fire to the civilized personal .esm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Anybody here a Pillars of Eternity fan? dunno if I should ask this in POE2 thread or here but it's more about TES, I think.

I get the feeling the Huana are the favored faction on this forum. I also get the feeling many here hate the Stormcloaks. Both faction's main argument is self-determination. Only the Huana have abhorrent practices far beyond the discrimination we see under the Stormcloaks. The caste system and support for slavery is far and away more heinous than anything the Stormcloaks get up to.

Is there anybody here who supports one and not the other? Any reason why?