Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Metal Gear Rising was a better Devil May Cry game than that thing imh(a)o

I mean, Metal Gear Rising also loving ruleSOFNATUUUUURE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Itusno worked a bit on DmC so he's gonna defend it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't think MGR was a good DMC-like because it's a whole different philosophy to action games BUT I will say that Jetstream Sam's gameplay would be a fantastic approach to doing a DMC-like.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Itsuno himself said he liked it, but Langdon said he was ready to leave Capcom because of it. We have conflicting accounts and I’m sure Itsuno isn’t really able to just get out there and poo poo on it if he wants.

I still choose to read Dr. Faust as a deliberate dig at the reboot.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Itsuno himself said he liked it, but Langdon said he was ready to leave Capcom because of it. We have conflicting accounts and I’m sure Itsuno isn’t really able to just get out there and poo poo on it if he wants.

I still choose to read Dr. Faust as a deliberate dig at the reboot.

"Westernizing" the franchise to make roi number go up was definitely a Faustian bargain, checks out.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
DmCDE is hella solid and Vergil in that one has absurd combo potential with Doppelganger DT so I'm excited to see how far folks can push it in 5. Nothing like combo videos taking it up a mile into the sky because the Doppelganger combos get so wild.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Metal Gear Rising was a better Devil May Cry game than that thing imh(a)o

Metal Gear Rising is the best Metal Gear game and it's not even close. It's probably my second most played DMC game :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After all of the patches and the special edition rebalanced a ton of stuff I actually think that DmC is mechanically a pretty fun game. The angel/demon grappling hook stuff can get very stupid as you climb miles into the sky, and the very clever and useful way the game uses the glint of your weapon to indicate the timing for your combo has shifted is something I wish all the other games had and I don’t understand why they don’t. I genuinely found my DmC Dante Must Die playthrough fun and challenging (remember this is without all the colorshield BS)

I liked the giant baby and FOX news bossfights, but I personally find “chaotic floating rocks” to be dogshit-tier level design. The levels have no rhyme or reason or internal logic, you can just put whatever you want wherever you want, and so the praise it gets for level design is baffling.

Their take on Virgil was actually so good that it continues to inform “real Virgil” to this day and to his benefit.

That said, and this isn’t controversial, DmC has maybe the worst writing in a game I’ve ever played, their fundamental misunderstanding of what makes Dante cool & likable is basically legendary, and the Sniper Rifle Abortion is literally offensive. I’m one of the biggest apologists for bad video game writing on Earth, but this scene is without question to stupidest and most disgusting and joyless thing ever recorded for a video game and the people responsible should be ashamed, it’s really that stupid. Not to mention the rest of the story, which also sucks my wet rear end, but seriously God-in-Heaven, there were so many people involved in the SRA and it still somehow made the final cut of the game, absolutely unreal.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 4, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

As someone who skipped DmC, the what

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Artelier posted:

As someone who skipped DmC, the what

This cutscene. Skip to 2 minutes in, you'll miss nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TUB9GM45t0

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

only on mission 3 but I am still having one hell of a hard time with the controls. maybe they'll make more sense later as muscle memory sets in & mechanics unlock

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This cutscene. Skip to 2 minutes in, you'll miss nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TUB9GM45t0

Better vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL29x7Reh8

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

So, I'll probably be in the minority for this, but I loving HATE that the devs keep giving Vergil the Beowulf and Force Edge as 'alternate' weapons. I mean, I get it, you don't want people to get bored of the Yamato, and props for them making the Force Edge a replica 'this time', but for gently caress's sake, Vergil used the Beowulf all of ONCE in the game he actually had it in, then lost it to Dante and never looked back. He shouldn't have had it in 4 SE, and him having it for no reason aside from 'it's one of his weapons' is just as stupid here as it was there. If you wanted to give him a similar moveset, give him a replica inspired by Nelo Angelo's 'barehanded' style they gave him in DMC3SE, if anything.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
They could give him a big heavy sword that also lets him do quick punches and kicks to make him more like Nelo Angelo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Vergil lost Beowulf more to random circumstances and Arkham meddling than to Dante, he just found it. I think at this point it's just more of "okay he had these so we'll give him these again".

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

lol this is almost as good as that bit in Dante's Inferno where you fight giant topless Cleopatra who spits out unbaptized babies with knives for arms from her nipples

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Magil of Shadow posted:

So, I'll probably be in the minority for this, but I loving HATE that the devs keep giving Vergil the Beowulf and Force Edge as 'alternate' weapons. I mean, I get it, you don't want people to get bored of the Yamato, and props for them making the Force Edge a replica 'this time', but for gently caress's sake, Vergil used the Beowulf all of ONCE in the game he actually had it in, then lost it to Dante and never looked back. He shouldn't have had it in 4 SE, and him having it for no reason aside from 'it's one of his weapons' is just as stupid here as it was there. If you wanted to give him a similar moveset, give him a replica inspired by Nelo Angelo's 'barehanded' style they gave him in DMC3SE, if anything.

Agreed. Pretty lazy to not think of something new but can't do anything about it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dispute this because Beowulf is the coolest of the gauntlets and looks rad as hell, especially when you do heavy hits and it does the roaring

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I dispute this because Beowulf is the coolest of the gauntlets and looks rad as hell, especially when you do heavy hits and it does the roaring

:hmmyes:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The gauntlets were all kind of lame up until Balrog, which is probably Dante's best weapon in 5. It would have been cool to get some new Vergil weapon but considering his fists are now significantly different from the ones Dante has in the same game, I think it helps him.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The perfect thing about DmC for me is how Ninja Theory writers kept talking about how Trish and Lady were bad female characters and sexist representations and they were going to do so much better, and then they introduced a character with impossible cleavage who wilts like a flower without a man around and hides behind a garbage can while the big boys fight

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lmaoing at tameem Twitter exiling himself after he put his Twitter @ in the credits

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tameem going out of his way to tell the fans that Dante was actually a gay cowboy and not “cool” and then remaking Dante to look like himself and then everyone universally hating new Dante and then good original Dante getting a super powerful cowboy hat in the next game is one of the greatest karmic retributions in the history of gaming.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bust Rodd posted:

Tameem going out of his way to tell the fans that Dante was actually a gay cowboy and not “cool” and then remaking Dante to look like himself and then everyone universally hating new Dante and then good original Dante getting a super powerful cowboy hat in the next game is one of the greatest karmic retributions in the history of gaming.

Tameem is a piece of poo poo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who do we credit Hellblade for? What was his input into that game? I hope he doesn't redeem himself, depriving me of my grudge.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/i/status/1309396733311545347

lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wow the footage of Vergil is really making me want to play this game again. Also the PS5 footage looks a lot better, is it literally just the exact same game in 4K? I mean it was a good looking game anyway

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I believe all they've announced is that it's the same game with visual improvements and Virgil. Maybe the pre-order DLC is thrown in too?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Ray tracing adds a few improvements to lighting and reflections, but the rest is all just increased resolution and probably higher PC settings.

The reason why it's bizarre they're not releasing it on PC is that this Special Edition really doesn't have a *ton* more than the normal game outside of Vergil... like Turbo, the Legendary Dark Knight Mode and... that's it, I think? And the Ray Tracing effects should absolutely be doable on upcoming graphic cards.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ugh yeah, there's only an entirely new character with new weapons and movesets, a whole new difficulty mode, turbo mode, improved framerates, improved resolution and raytracing. SMH Capcom :rolleyes:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Improved resolution and framerates aren't really a factor on PC, lol, and the new character is also DLC on the older versions. So they really are just... refusing to release a patch to add Ray Tracing and DLC with the new difficulty modes on PC.

They aren't even releasing it as a separate SKU with an upgrade path which... honestly could have made them more money than just releasing a Vergil DLC? As they'd have more of an excuse to bump up the price.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gotta have that launch day game sitting on the shelf next to that shiny new ps5.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

idk what any of that poo poo is I just move my hdmi cable from my work latoptop to my ps4 push button and play game

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
an entirely new character with new weapons and movesets: that modelling and animation was mostly already in the game for as shown by the PC mod

a whole new difficulty mode: that was just adding a bunch of spawn points

turbo mode: a slider they turned up, already a PC mod

improved framerates, improved resolution: it's on better hardware, so also a slider they turned up, already on PC

raytracing: drops the framerate to 30fps so really is anyone gonna turn it on for more than 30 seconds? This is the one thing that really should be on PC where it might run at 60fps

It's great that a lot of the stuff will be there for console folks, but with how awesome base DMC5 is I was hoping for more actual new stuff instead of what feels like something some interns put together after browsing nexusmods with some help from a Sony engineer. Like I'd argue the free bloody palace patch added more to the game. The good news about it though is it means Itsuno is buried in Dragons Dogma 2 so it won't be too long before we get that awesome game and then he's on to DMC6 riiight??

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Also everything they added was in 4 already and that had 2 extra characters on top of Vergil.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Legendary Dark Knight mode is amazing and it sucks that PC players aren't getting it for a while

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

do any of nero's arms act like royal guard, with the counters and perfect-guarding? that was my jam back in the DMC3 days. Been trying the arms I have so far against the guys that super-armor run at you after getting knocked down; so far I'm 0 for 4 on countering that, so I'm guessing not :v:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I believe just regular old attacks can parry those guys if you hit it at the right time.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
He has two options that give you a lot of i-frames at the cost of a resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

do any of nero's arms act like royal guard, with the counters and perfect-guarding? that was my jam back in the DMC3 days. Been trying the arms I have so far against the guys that super-armor run at you after getting knocked down; so far I'm 0 for 4 on countering that, so I'm guessing not :v:

Just like in DMC3 clashing is good and strong and is your friend.
You can also use the Buster arm to grab those guys out of their hyper armor.
Additionally Nero also has DT Activation like defensive ability, with his Break Away, but that's extremely costly for anything that isn't a boss grab.