Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
My go to was always cheap khaki/lightweight suit pants that I'd get 3/$10 at Goodwill because they were heavy enough to keep grease off my legs but light enough that if I got them soaked in the dish pit/cleaning/taking out trash in the rain they'd dry pretty quickly. I'm too cheap to spring for real chef's pants.

Never wear jeans in an actual kitchen unless you hate yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mithross posted:

I heartily recommend not wearing jeans in a kitchen, get chef pants. They are essentially breathable pajama pants that look like slacks, considerably cooler and more comfortable. Happy Chef (they have their own website and also recently started selling on amazon) has "classic baggy" pants that are the only pants I will wear in a kitchen, they last decently, don't cost too much, and are comfortable as gently caress. Any cheaper jeans are likely to be hot, uncomfortable, or both.

Absolutely this. Jeans are thick cotton, which means when they get wet from a spill, or dishwashing, or just sweat they stay wet forever. Get something that breathes and will dry faster than 'maybe by end of shift'.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I wear nursing scrubs for pants, they're great.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a fan of army surplus store cargo pants personally. The pockets are massive, and they can take like, 5 separate beatings basically. Very excellent and durable. And about $30 as well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm a fan of army surplus store cargo pants personally. The pockets are massive, and they can take like, 5 separate beatings basically. Very excellent and durable. And about $30 as well.

This past September I celebrated my 17th anniversary with my husband. We both had to work on the exact day, but took the 2 subsequent days off to celebrate. I wore a pair of cut-off BDU camo's to work that day, and while husband and I were getting lit and looking at pics and reminiscing that evening, I realized they were the same loving shorts I was wearing the day we met. And I'd had them a while before I cut 'em into shorts.

Yeah, I'd say "durable" is an understatement --- 20 or so years is a good lifetime out of pants that cost me $7 at the thrift store. And mmmm, yes, the pockets, I can keep my keys, smokes, lighter, wallet, phone, notepad, and 462 Sharpies on me without worrying about anyone getting sticky fingers where we hang up coats and such at work, no matter how sketch the employees are.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 5, 2020

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Wish my joint wasn't so uniformy. Its a small fast casual in a big restaurant group. Everyone but our chef has to wear jeans, blue jeans specifically. For the most part I don't mind them but it'd be cool to not have to always show up in blue jeans!! At least Im getting health insurance!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trollipop posted:

Wish my joint wasn't so uniformy. Its a small fast casual in a big restaurant group. Everyone but our chef has to wear jeans, blue jeans specifically. For the most part I don't mind them but it'd be cool to not have to always show up in blue jeans!! At least Im getting health insurance!

Front or back? If you're front of house complaining about being forced to wear blue jeans is the lamest uniform complaint I've ever heard, if you're back of house that's seriously hosed up.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I'd say "durable" is an understatement --- 20 or so years is a good lifetime out of pants that cost me $7 at the thrift store. And mmmm, yes, the pockets, I can keep my keys, smokes, lighter, wallet, phone, notepad, and 462 Sharpies on me without worrying about anyone getting sticky fingers where we hang up coats and such at work, no matter how sketch the employees are.

And that's just one leg pocket! I can fit a 16oz cup plus like, 5 Mio things, and a lotion and my meds for the day in one leg pocket.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Manuel Calavera posted:

And that's just one leg pocket! I can fit a 16oz cup plus like, 5 Mio things, and a lotion and my meds for the day in one leg pocket.

I feel bad that so many women's pants have fake pockets while I'm over here with the ability to stuff DVDs in my dress pants.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I wear nursing scrubs for pants, they're great.

Nursing scrubs are basically chef pants.

Part of the chef pants design of "loose and elastic band" is for safety, if you spill hot oil or liquid onto jeans you're gonna lose some layers of skin, in chef pants you can step out of them in a second

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quabzor posted:

I feel bad that so many women's pants have fake pockets while I'm over here with the ability to stuff DVDs in my dress pants.

That is one reason I'm not really feeling dresses, lol. I have some skirts with pockets. But I refuse to give up my pockets I got used to, that can hold my large phone.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Speaking of dresses...

Today I get to enjoy one of my favorite guilty pleasures: getting dressed for picking up my check when I have the day off. Working, I usually wear the same two pairs of schlubby pants or shorts, and a t-shirt. No makeup, no jewelry, hair tied back and stuffed under a hat. Kitchen shoes which are kinda ugly to begin with, and they're caked in all the creases with dredge/flour. And honestly, that's pretty much my "uniform" on my days off, too (minus the shoes), unless I'm going out somewhere special.

So I get totally dressed up because I'm just going in to pick up my check --- skirt, sexy boots, makeup, get my hair looking nice, funky earrings. It's just too much fun to walk in thru the employee entrance and have someone rush up to say, "Uh, can I help y--- Oh! It's you JD! Didn't recognize you!" and revel as everybody puts their head on a swivel and drowns me in compliments.

I'm not a vain person, and as a 46 year old semi-homeless woman who shops at Goodwill I know I'm no fashion model, but dang do I love doing this. Checks come in around 11, so I'm about to go make myself look all purty and enjoy feeling like a million bucks while I pick up my 650 bucks.

EDIT: Mission accomplished. Not only got one of these from 2 new hires (in a good way):

...but apparently I pulled 6 hours of OT, so I was all "holy paycheck, Batman!" Everything's coming up JD today.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 6, 2020

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone have experience using Chefs Warehouse to order for home? I still have my contacts with the group that used to do orders for me when i was working at different places, so was gonna contact them to see if they would let me access the wider catalogue that isn't available on the shop@home catalogue. Just want to stock for myself and my friends households before the next lockdown/stock issues.

In fact i never understood where they were making money, since most order i would make would only have delivery and fuel surcharge, but no transaction costs or monthly fee. Other than having your business account approved for credit and financial reasons, i never encountered any other costs.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Speaking of dresses...

Today I get to enjoy one of my favorite guilty pleasures: getting dressed for picking up my check when I have the day off. Working, I usually wear the same two pairs of schlubby pants or shorts, and a t-shirt. No makeup, no jewelry, hair tied back and stuffed under a hat. Kitchen shoes which are kinda ugly to begin with, and they're caked in all the creases with dredge/flour. And honestly, that's pretty much my "uniform" on my days off, too (minus the shoes), unless I'm going out somewhere special.

So I get totally dressed up because I'm just going in to pick up my check --- skirt, sexy boots, makeup, get my hair looking nice, funky earrings. It's just too much fun to walk in thru the employee entrance and have someone rush up to say, "Uh, can I help y--- Oh! It's you JD! Didn't recognize you!" and revel as everybody puts their head on a swivel and drowns me in compliments.

I'm not a vain person, and as a 46 year old semi-homeless woman who shops at Goodwill I know I'm no fashion model, but dang do I love doing this. Checks come in around 11, so I'm about to go make myself look all purty and enjoy feeling like a million bucks while I pick up my 650 bucks.

EDIT: Mission accomplished. Not only got one of these from 2 new hires (in a good way):

...but apparently I pulled 6 hours of OT, so I was all "holy paycheck, Batman!" Everything's coming up JD today.

In this industry I too thrive on the little things. Rock on fellow wage slave!

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Got my raise for busting rear end all pandemic Wednesday, a whopping quarter "cause covid and blah blah" lol. Caaaaaaaaaalled it! :krad:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm starting to come around to drowning in my own lung fluid

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Cook called out on Monday before I got in. Didn't have a personal emergency. Did not have a family emergency. Did not have a transportation emergency. Said he had a national emergency. Ask your questions here, I will forward them on the next shift.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The Hangover So Bad it Made the News.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

is this cook a foreign national?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He plays for the DC baseball team's farm team and just got called up to the majors.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Ask him what happened to the hot dogs?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Thomamelas posted:

Ask him what happened to the hot dogs?

Did the app break? :ohdear:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

An actual conversation just now:

Mr Dempsey: So tomorrow, around noon, I have to [run some insignificant errand].

Me: Cool, around noon tomorrow I'll be drenched in sweat and fry oil and contemplating my life decisions.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oof, I just found a new job and apparently they're gonna ban indoor dining/gathering again in Washington state for a month. Financially I'm fine for at least another couple months though I've tapped out unemployment about a month ago, but man I was looking forward to working again.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Republicans posted:

Oof, I just found a new job and apparently they're gonna ban indoor dining/gathering again in Washington state for a month. Financially I'm fine for at least another couple months though I've tapped out unemployment about a month ago, but man I was looking forward to working again.

Feel you dude, I was looking for work for ages, and landed a unicorn job with good pay, dinner service only, crazy cool menu.

I got the job that first week in March :/ And since I was only pulling a few short shifts week to start, they were paying me under the table, 'cause I get how it is --- no one wants to deal with IRS poo poo and forms if a cook's gonna wash out in a few days. So I couldn't apply for unemployment or RERF or anything.

Got a new hire who's only been with us since Monday, and I had to train her on fry today. She knocked that poo poo outta the park, like I only had to show her things once and she had it, kept up with the pace, kept the station obscenely clean. She was doing so well my boss felt confident enough to let her handle fry while I went next door to use our sister store's meat slicer for a couple hours.

End of the day, boss comes in and tells the lead he needs to cut either me or her. I'd already planned on staying until close, but she pipes up "I want to learn how to close, I'll stay!" :stare:

To cap it off, boss says "has KM told you about Friday?" I wince, wondering what fresh hell awaits me, is it another 48 chicken biscuit order that has to come out before we even open, so I have to come in an hour early? (this has been happening a lot recently).
"Nooo..."
"Well she seems to have a handle on fry, so I'm thinking about giving you Friday off."
"You... you just keep thinking that, boss!"

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Maaan, I quit being a kitchen manager right before the pandemic hit Canada to manage a fast food place in the Arctic in a grocery store. So I fell in an essential worker platform in a place where we’ve only had a single case.

But my contract ends in a year (this job is soul destroying) and my heart wants to go back into restaurant work when I leave the Arctic. But I like money.

I want to just be a line cook for a few years to relax, but I don’t know what the scene will look like. It’s terrifying to plan. I hope everyone else is safe and not worrying about their future every night.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

virinvictus posted:

I want to just be a line cook for a few years to relax, but I don’t know what the scene will look like.
There won't be much relaxing while on the clock, for starters

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

FFT posted:

There won't be much relaxing while on the clock, for starters

Lol, not what I meant but definitely brought a smile to my face. Most restaurants back home had let go of all kitchen management and are running kitchens with three bodies when eight used to suffice. With the expectations of a second Ontario shutdown, most of the owners don’t know if they’ll be here next year is more my worries.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There really wont be independent restaurants for much longer. Were at the point where any bail out is just going to be spent by large restaurant groups expanding their portfolios.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There really wont be independent restaurants for much longer. Were at the point where any bail out is just going to be spent by large restaurant groups expanding their portfolios.

Eh, the restaurant industry also has the potential to bounce back rather quickly if and when things return to some semblance of normal (COVID, employment, and consumer spending). There are always hospitality folks looking for work, both FOH and BOH. Similarly, there will also be plenty of people who think owning a restaurant will be a fun and interesting way to invest some money, impress their friends, etc. And hey, it was a depressed market, there could never be a better time to get into it! Right?

(Full disclosure: I'm in the early stages of planning a bar with a couple friends. Zero interest in dealing with food, my preference is a pad and power hookups for 1-3 food trucks. Maybe I'm the idiot.)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Read what I wrote again.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shooting Blanks posted:

(Full disclosure: I'm in the early stages of planning a bar with a couple friends. Zero interest in dealing with food, my preference is a pad and power hookups for 1-3 food trucks. Maybe I'm the idiot.)
Solid concept, and I've worked at a brewery taproom where we communicated with the local food trucks to have one scheduled to be out front most of our operating days so it can work, but current food trucks are unlikely to survive this without community engagement and/or delivery service collaboration and/or enough passion project money to weather through.

Anyway, from experience, my recommendation would be to work with the food trucks on scheduling first--so you know which ones will show up and when--then have rotating drink specials that explicitly complement what they offer. And unless you're pushing significantly past 50+ seats stick to one food truck per night because the competition over a semi-captive audience can get pretty hosed up unless you're deliberately scheduling an entree/appetizer truck and a dessert truck.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FFT posted:

Solid concept, and I've worked at a brewery taproom where we communicated with the local food trucks to have one scheduled to be out front most of our operating days so it can work, but current food trucks are unlikely to survive this without community engagement and/or delivery service collaboration and/or enough passion project money to weather through.

Anyway, from experience, my recommendation would be to work with the food trucks on scheduling first--so you know which ones will show up and when--then have rotating drink specials that explicitly complement what they offer. And unless you're pushing significantly past 50+ seats stick to one food truck per night because the competition over a semi-captive audience can get pretty hosed up unless you're deliberately scheduling an entree/appetizer truck and a dessert truck.

It's still early stages right now, and the food truck capacity is absolutely going to depend on the seating capacity. Rotating is key, and reliability is key. But until there's a light at the end of the tunnel, this is all moot - I've said since day 1, shutting down bars and restaurants isn't a problem provided there's a plan and financial assistance. It's the whiplash back and forth that's killing everyone as much or more than anyone else.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

How to Get the Kitchen's Annoying Pop Radio Station Changed to Another Channel, in 3 Easy Steps:

1. Be a woman on fry
2. Alicia Key's "Girl on Fire" comes on for the 45th time that day
3. Start tunelessly belting out "THIS GIRL IS ON FRYYYYYER" every time it comes on

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Speaking of kitchen music, does this take anyone else back?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
gently caress yea.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Today a server accidentally put in a ticket for “horny mustard”. Being bored I lovingly made a dick and balls out of foil and rested it gently in a cup of mustard.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
should have made two cups of mustard and put a spot of ketchup in the center of each.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I would also have accepted stick figures doggy style drawn in mustard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Welp In about two hours (one hour into my closing shift) the local government is going to announce new covid procedures (I’m guessing a 28 day lockdown) because our cases are violently spiking.