Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yeah I know but you should not know more about polls than a "politics reporter" by just knowing that there are such things as aggregates ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm pretty sure that many reporters tend to know these things, they just don't bother reporting them because they don't think the public cares/is smart enough to understand

this is my impression from talking about Politics Understanders, at least

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Journalists are morons for the most part. Good to have on your team in trivial pursuit and pub quizzes, but little else. Maybe if you need to spell a word correctly in a hurry. Relying on them to interpret policy, politics, cultural events or anything requiring an answer more complex than ‘I wonder what both sides think?’ is silly.

They’re also overworked with deadlines, decreasing margins and whatnot, but who isn’t these days. Certainly no excuse for the completely ridiculous way news is being covered in the major danish newspapers. Don’t get me started on the more international news sources either. NY times, guardian. Good lord. It’s dumbshits writing to imbeciles all the way up and all the way down.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Journalists are morons for the most part. Good to have on your team in trivial pursuit and pub quizzes, but little else. Maybe if you need to spell a word correctly in a hurry. Relying on them to interpret policy, politics, cultural events or anything requiring an answer more complex than ‘I wonder what both sides think?’ is silly.

They’re also overworked with deadlines, decreasing margins and whatnot, but who isn’t these days. Certainly no excuse for the completely ridiculous way news is being covered in the major danish newspapers. Don’t get me started on the more international news sources either. NY times, guardian. Good lord. It’s dumbshits writing to imbeciles all the way up and all the way down.

A good summary I heard one time is that everyone reads magazines like Newsweek and Times for insights in other countries and communities, while universally thinking that the articles they write that happens to be about your specific country/community is way off and badly interpreted. But somehow you still assume that the rest of the magazine is better.

E: to drive the point home, just checked Aftonbladet and their main article on the election right now is that Trafalgar group, a pollster so bad they had to pretend that their tabs were sabotaged after publishing them and getting laughed at, is predicting a Trump win. None of that is mentioned in the article. Yes, that's the big picture article that will really make you understand the US election. Great job.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 3, 2020

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

However, whenever there was assessed to be a higher risk of an attack, they’d upgrade to military protection, stationing fresh-faced teenagers with rifles around the street. This happened basically every time Vermund, Paludan or their ilk pulled a media stunt, and I think at the time I lived there, it averaged out to military guard every other day.

I work near there and would often buy coffee on that street (or did until eternal covid WFH), and I think over the last few years it's almost always been military protection. Pretty odd seeing stationed military guards in Copenhagen - but you are right that the mild inconvenience is worth it to make a minority community feel safe.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

International news are also pretty much all written in New York (AP), London (Reuters), and Paris (AFP), then (oftentimes poorly) translated in local newspapers. The job is literally just to copy someone else's homework for a lot of journalists.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I would argue that it's just another manifestation of Sturgeon's Law: 95% of everything is poo poo, therefore 95% of news is poo poo.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

The journalist profession exists solely as a place for rich families to dump kids who refuse to take law or finance in school.

Which is why even the grimiest, leftist, investigative journalist will have a wiki page about how after school he got a job at a mid sized newspaper that his uncle happened to be chief editor of etc.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Polls receive too much attention. I want to hear about issues, the canidates and what regular people think about all of this." Bob the farmer loves Trump but the maid Rita does not" is a valid news story, at least no less a valid story than loving Polls. Countries that ban polls in the last weeks before the election have the rigth idea

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Nenonen posted:

Everyone seems to love abbreviations. What's SAAB, ABB, IKEA..? ABLOY is the most ridiculous one, all it stands for is Aktionbolaget Lås/Lukko Osakeyhtiö so two fifths of the name is redundant already. I think I prefer syllable combo names, like Valmet (Valtion Metallitehtaat) or Kemira (Kemikaalit-Mineraalit-Ravinteet or chemicals, minerals, nutrients).

Where I grew up, there used to be a hardware store called FA TA MA LA

FArve
TApet
MAling
LAk

(colour, wallpaper, paint, lacquer/varnish)

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

lilljonas posted:

I've seen a lot of mentioning of polling errors in 2016 in Swedish media, but nobody mentioning that polling methods have evolved since then. They also forget about 2018, where polling was pretty dead on after said adjustments. They also forget to mention that Biden would still win according to the latest polling with the same pro-Trump polling errors of 2016. All these things are important factors in gauging the likelyhood of the election, and I have yet so see Swedish media understanding them.

These are issues that I feel like having a pretty decent insight in by just reading SA and following the general discourse on polls on like, basic polling nerd youtube channels. While paid reporters are still doing god awful "I walked down a street in Florida and gee whizz there are signs from both candidates!" reports.
:allears:

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Norway is announcing new covid stuff this week. Seems like Sweden is also really in the shitter according to yesterday's news. No one understands what Denmark says + their other scandals right now. May I say that this week sucks?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

abske_fides posted:

Norway is announcing new covid stuff this week. Seems like Sweden is also really in the shitter according to yesterday's news. No one understands what Denmark says + their other scandals right now. May I say that this week sucks?

Next week is going to be worse.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

Baudolino posted:

Polls receive too much attention. I want to hear about issues, the canidates and what regular people think about all of this." Bob the farmer loves Trump but the maid Rita does not" is a valid news story, at least no less a valid story than loving Polls. Countries that ban polls in the last weeks before the election have the rigth idea

See Thomas Seltzer's (Yes, Happy Tom from Turbonegro) documentary series "UXA" on NRK. He's an American citizen but have lived most of his life in Norway and travels back to the US before the election (it's taped just before COVID) and visits his extended family and travels around looking at the empires downfall. Actually really good with pretty correct analysis in my opinion.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Journalist are junk people that often lack basic analysis and knowledge of the things they write, but they think they are the bees knees because they are journalist. They always know better than the plebians.

gently caress em. Too bad they are needed.

Krönikörer on the other hand, rich kids with bad opinions and a newspaper to back em, throwing poo at each other and acting like their hosed up bubble world is the real one.
To the gallows with em.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

lilljonas posted:

I've seen a lot of mentioning of polling errors in 2016 in Swedish media, but nobody mentioning that polling methods have evolved since then.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/04/931083534/6-takeaways-from-election-night-2020 posted:

6. The polls were wrong ... again

After all is said and done with this election, there is going to be a reckoning over polls.

After 2016, when polls in key states underestimated Trump's support, pollsters said they had adjusted. But, it appears, while polls in some places were right, lots were off and misleading.

Biden appeared to have slim but consistent leads heading into Election Day, and many of those dissipated. Ohio, Iowa, Florida, Texas were all polling very close for months, and wound up not close at all. And, unlike 2016, this year even the national polls appear to have been far off.

lol

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm loving getting owned by americans rednecks today, yes, but I stand by that still doesn't make yard sign journalism good. Lot's of Swedish reporters also not understanding uncounted votes, which I got confirmed by all my colleagues who thought Trump had been reelected this morning due to what they heard on the news.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

abske_fides posted:

Uppsala region had the most hilarious covid countermeasure ratchet a couple days back: you're not allowed to sit in groups >8 in restaurants. That's it, that's the rule.

Note that you're already not supposed to dine in with people who don't belong to your household, but that's ignored everywhere also.

I've not seen any actual enforcement anywhere in the loving country, and everyone is doing precisely fuckall unless confronted. There's been some noise about making masks available in public transport, but again, only a suggestion.

We're going to be on this fucktrain until there's a vaccine.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Some of you are at least. Some are getting off early.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonHair posted:

Some of you are at least. Some are getting off early.
Don't loving remind me :/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sorry, I know it's tasteless..

On the other hand, mocking Swedes for being dumb is an important part of Danish culture.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

lilljonas posted:

I'm loving getting owned by americans rednecks today, yes, but I stand by that still doesn't make yard sign journalism good.

I'm going to stop making GBS threads on you now, but putting boots on the ground and talking to people, you know, actually reporting on things, is probably the least lovely thing journalists do, so I don't get why it upsets you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Working from the assumption that it works, it still has to be deployed. I’ve seen figures of two years after the vaccine is developed before everyone is vaccinated. Note that if it just makes COVID a less lovely experience, but doesn’t prevent you from becoming infectious, we might end up in a situation where people who are vaccinated have to be told to remain locked down for the benefit of others.

thotsky posted:

I'm going to stop making GBS threads on you now, but putting boots on the ground and talking to people, you know, actually reporting on things, is probably the least lovely thing journalists do, so I don't get why it upsets you.
In fairness, the people they talk to a literally always some member of the local republican leadership pretending to be an average Joe.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BonHair posted:

Sorry, I know it's tasteless..

On the other hand, mocking Swedes for being dumb is an important part of Danish culture.

You realise Danes were planning their weddings in Sweden to get around restrictions, right? Where do you think they'll be going afterwards? Also most of the government is in quarantine right now because they won't adhere to their own rules.

Here's a video of two infected MPs in a room full of other maskless MPs failing to keep distance:

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/professor-om-coronasmittede-politikere-det-sender-et-meget-uheldigt-signal

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

You realise Danes were planning their weddings in Sweden to get around restrictions, right? Where do you think they'll be going afterwards? Also most of the government is in quarantine right now because they won't adhere to their own rules.

Here's a video of two infected MPs in a room full of other maskless MPs failing to keep distance:

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/professor-om-coronasmittede-politikere-det-sender-et-meget-uheldigt-signal
Those are West Swedes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Off-brand brits.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Off-brand brits.

ICA Basic Brits

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

teen witch posted:

ICA Basic Brits

Denmark: Not just the country of Netto, but very much the Netto of countries

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

:hmmyes:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Groda posted:

I don't think Mærsk owns Netto anymore, though. :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Real classy, TV2.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

It's projection for the most part. We're pretty dumb over here as well. But I think Denmark handled covid better than Sweden so far, idiot politicians notwithstanding.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

the funniest thing about the mink debacle is all those people who mocked China for their wet markets. Turns out we have the exact same thing, we just call it a farm instead of a market.

Hopefully this kills off the Danish fur industry for good.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 4, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I never even considered that, not even while remembering swine flu. But it seems like the latest decision is to kill all the drat mink now, which is good. I hope it doesn't get to start up again, that way some small good is coming out this year.

Anecdote: I work in Banedanmark, and a few weeks ago we got a message on the intranet that some of our people were being sent to oversee the slaughter. It's kinda weird, but it makes sense to have some sort of government official oversee that they actually do it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

I never even considered that, not even while remembering swine flu. But it seems like the latest decision is to kill all the drat mink now, which is good. I hope it doesn't get to start up again, that way some small good is coming out this year.
Yeah, this is the perfect opportunity to end it for good. By the time the pandemic is over the status quo is gonna be no mink farms, so it should be easier than ever.

BonHair posted:

Anecdote: I work in Banedanmark, and a few weeks ago we got a message on the intranet that some of our people were being sent to oversee the slaughter. It's kinda weird, but it makes sense to have some sort of government official oversee that they actually do it.
You know who else recruited the railways to carry out a genocide?? :minkholocaust:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I'm a biologist and have dissected a few farm mink. Something like 60 or 70% of them have terrible urinary tract infections (which is also their biggest source of mortality) due to being cooped up in small cages in close quarters. The infected bladders were 4 or 5 times the size of a healthy one, inflamed and balloon-like. I've seen a lot of nasty stuff inside animals but those really stuck with me. No way for an animal to live.

There's also not a single spot in Denmark that does not have wild American mink due to escapees from the farms.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 4, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, this is the perfect opportunity to end it for good. By the time the pandemic is over the status quo is gonna be no mink farms, so it should be easier than ever.

Let's hope they don't double down and start over by importing twice the number.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

I don't think Mærsk owns Netto anymore, though. :v:

Correct - Salling Group owns it now. It was initially a joint-venture between Mærsk and Salling Group but they've since parted ways.

As for the whole mink and Covid situation - it's weird watching society and the political discourse polarize even more than it was already. The mounting 'anti-covid-containment' (not sure what to call it) sentiment is something I've never seen before. Even the immigration and EU discourse developed over decades into what they are now. But this pandemic has caused new lines of division and hostility to form in no time. I think our government and health authorities have failed in this regard more than anywhere else.

Government has been more populist than ever and refused to take an honest stance - instead trying to straddle "we're doing awesome - we can normalize - this is not dangerous" and "we need full control - restrictions will happen when we say so - it's too dangerous to waste time explaining". This schizophrenic take on the virus where it's harmless enough that we don't really need to enact anything unpleasant but also an existential threat to our society that makes it redundant to qualify any restrictions or policies, has created very fertile soil for conspiracy theories and a weirdly confused political opposition stoking the flames of ignorance (because they're mostly incredibly ignorant and kept so by the government).

Health authorities are making things worse by still treating this like a flu and coming off as childishly upset that they don't have same central role as FHI in Sweden. And alongside the government they're refusing to actually formulate their strategy for dealing with this beyond "avoid people getting sick while not interfering with anything and not bothering anyone". For some reasons restaurants and bars are expected to carry the full weight of trying to reduce transmission risk, while everything else is just guidelines and voluntaryism.

Wave two has been a lot of intervention theatre so far. Masks have been the magic wand which can create the illusion of decisive action, all the while saying it's just a marginal additional layer of intervention on the existing guidelines and rules. Contact-tracing is a mess. Much of the population don't really believe it's serious any more or have decided to accept the make-believe reality of exceptionalist containment efficiency. And this is not just the nutcases - it's becoming mainstream to consider this a flu and to believe we have draconian restrictions in place.

Sorry for the rambling rant - I'm just frustrated that wave 2 bad time areapproaching fast and our media plus health authorities are actively preventing a timely response. Talking to people is useless - either they've joined in on the conspiracies or they think we're doing fantastic. Those are the camps now it seems: "We're doing great!", "It's just a flu, stop this charade!" and "Have you heard about the great reset?". I don't know what they think the great reset is - and I don't really want to dive down that rabbit hole. Urgh. Can't we just lockdown and get this under control like sane people - then reopen and keep it under control without crazy optimism and stupid impatience putting us back to square one? No, that would be a nuisance, so who cares if it actually works. Only evil totalitarian asian regimes do such things. We're enlightened scandinavians and we can handle this without anyone having to sacrifice anything. I'm not looking forward to the small scale riots and civil disobedience that will accompany the inevitable lockdown and make it last longer.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Full agree. I'm glad I at least convinced my septuagenarian father with COPD and a relatively recent blood clot in the brain that he shouldn't go to the gym right now. This poo poo is just getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

BonHair posted:

It's projection for the most part. We're pretty dumb over here as well. But I think Denmark handled covid better than Sweden so far, idiot politicians notwithstanding.

*Denmark invents new Covid and releases it into the wild*

:v: