Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This reminds me of an utter bimbo at my old work who said she wouldn't claim unemployment benefit if she lost her job because it would damage her pride.

Came out with some right pearls that one "i don't drink, i dont smoke, all i have is my nails" is one me and the wife still laugh at.

I have a mate who's like that as well, but a lot of that is because the very act of applying for benefits is designed to be as dehumanising as possible. They sanctioned him once for not attending a mandatory "back-to-work" course... because he was doing three job interviews that day, for jobs they insisted he applied for even though he was completely unsuited to them and had no chance of ever getting. And this was pre-2010, I can't even imagine how much worse it must be nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Noxville posted:

They’ll just blame the Left.

Some will, but if we're just going to go full nothing matters everything terrible forever I'll go lay down in the road and get it over with.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, remember I was talking about a podcast for people to walk to? Well I've been working on it for the last week and frankly I can't make it work.
Could you do something like the museum guide things? I don't know if there's an app that'll play a blurb when the phone-haver gets to a specific location?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

drat right it's prohibited :colbert:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/labtowin/status/1323960917978189826

Keir

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It might be easier to do (one day, after lockdown) if you were walking it with a friend who didn't know the walk and could ask you questions and you could answer them as you walked, sort of "Hey Twisto, what's that interesting looking building there?" "Well, my friend, that is the former watering hole of young Joe Stalin, where he conversed after a few bevvies with a crap bell maker and formed his first views on how to run a dictatorship."

Yeah, that was the sort of thing I had in mind at first, in fact specifically the Knowledge Fight style where I'm the knowledgeable straight man and someone funnier than me can react to and riff on the stuff that comes up. In fact that was the inspiration behind filming it/Google Earthing it, to make that format easier - the problem that instantly comes up is that then makes it even less use for walking because it'll inevitably derail even further.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

He should take face lessons, like Thatcher took voice and hair lessons. Looking permanently shocked, surprised and about to burst into tears doesn't do it for me.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Is that an actual quote? Will we send in the SAS if we deem the elections unfair?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

This is exactly it. He had almost nothing to offer poc and went right at the racist white vote instead, and this is what happens. I mean we’ve seen in this thread now he’s told union men to gently caress off and told minorities to go vote for trump.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Unpopular but true opinion: it’s not a tank unless it contains a crew water boiler as part of the procurement specification
otherwise its just a sparkling self propelled gun

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Could you do something like the museum guide things? I don't know if there's an app that'll play a blurb when the phone-haver gets to a specific location?

That was another idea I had, but the only apps available aren't really suitable for either technical or privacy reasons.

In *theory* it's not a hard app to write. If lockdown really lasts maybe it's time to start teaching myself how to code for mobiles, lol.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, that was the sort of thing I had in mind at first, in fact specifically the Knowledge Fight style where I'm the knowledgeable straight man and someone funnier than me can react to and riff on the stuff that comes up. In fact that was the inspiration behind filming it/Google Earthing it, to make that format easier - the problem that instantly comes up is that then makes it even less use for walking because it'll inevitably derail even further.

That's what the edit suite is for :)
They do quite a few history and pseudo-history documentaries like that it works quite well.
Presumably you could identify a few places of interest in advance and prompt your co-walker at the relevant juncture with a sharp nudge of the elbow!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

so upset that joe biden lost i have stabbed myself in the eye with my poppy pin on accident

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh also today I saw a guy riding a very wide motorbike slightly louder than a learjet wearing an old 1970's bike helmet and hells angels jacket so I choose to believe twisto is on holiday in middlesbrough.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

That's not gonna give it to ya

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He should take face lessons, like Thatcher took voice and hair lessons. Looking permanently shocked, surprised and about to burst into tears doesn't do it for me.

My theory is it is the expression of someone who is terrified of being seen to commit to any one expression

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, remember I was talking about a podcast for people to walk to? Well I've been working on it for the last week and frankly I can't make it work.

Quite apart from my utter hatred for the sound of my own voice after the first 30 seconds of editing and feeling like far too much of a tit to video the walk for proper timing (and then struggling to get Google Earth to produce a walking-pace video), it just ended up being way too much work - in all it I gave it up after 20 hours of work for a one-hour walk, and that's on a subject and area I know like the back of my hand (Whitechapel/Mile End Road) so required only minimal research and fact-checking, and without actually recording and editing.

More importantly, I'm just not happy with the final result. I had to cut out loads of interesting stuff in order to keep the flow, but also had to fill in stuff out of order for the more boring bits. I also really struggled with the right tone when editing it down, although that's more to do with a history that includes racist murders, crap bell makers and Joseph Stalin within a hundred yards of each other. That one at least is a function of my own brain - I *could* have made it flow better had I stuck to just the heavy political stuff, or just the fluff, but both interest me equally and to be honest the fact you can talk about the Elephant Man and the planning of the Russian Revolution *on the same corner* is part of what makes the area quite so much fun - but I could easily talk for half an hour about both, but the corner you're on has nothing to actually look at to tie either thing to it. I was also weirdly aware that I was trying to right something that wasn't just for random Goons who would be okay with the politics and dick jokes, and the more formal tone I use on my blog which my RL friends and colleagues read, and ended up mostly on the second, but which makes it all a bit too dry for my tastes.

With the timing and flow: I reckon it's OK to have some dead time, especially if you have it in a chapter or section format where people can just skip to the next location when they get there. People walk at different paces and also listen at different paces - maybe you want to replay something because a bus went past and you didn't hear, maybe you want to skip a bit because it looks like rain and you'd better get on. When I've taken museum audio tours the worst ones are the ones that drone on well beyond what I actually care to listen to but also you have to listen all the way through the boring bits to get to the next good bit. If I'm interested in something I'm alright to spend some extra time looking at it without the audio as long as I can pick up the narration again when I get to the next bit. You can explicitly build that in - "When you're done looking around the scene of the 'orrible murder, turn right at the piss streaked wall and play the next chapter to hear about the time Stalin had a fistfight with an elephant. Or if you want to hear the full coroner's report complete with a word for Italians that you definitely shouldn't use any more, listen to the bonus chapter now.""

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Oh also today I saw a guy riding a very wide motorbike slightly louder than a learjet wearing an old 1970's bike helmet and hells angels jacket so I choose to believe twisto is on holiday in middlesbrough.

I ride a very narrow motorbike which is only moderately loud (as in it's theoretically street legal, but street legal in that Italian "calm down pussycat, of course it's legal" way), and wear only the finest Dainese riding gear as befits a member of the Desmodromic Brotherhood.

(This did mean when I was in the States on a massive Harley I looked almost comedically overdressed, and there was a little bit of sniggering about my choice of all-season gear from the rest of the group as we cruised through California and Arizona until we went into the mountains of Utah where it was still snowing and all I needed to do at the rest stop was do up a couple of zips and change gloves while everyone else was putting on five layers of (non-waterproof, non-motorcycle) clothes over their RIDE OR DIE bullshit kit)

Also gently caress you for even suggesting I'd be in Middlesbrough at anything other than gunpoint.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

With the timing and flow: I reckon it's OK to have some dead time, especially if you have it in a chapter or section format where people can just skip to the next location when they get there. People walk at different paces and also listen at different paces - maybe you want to replay something because a bus went past and you didn't hear, maybe you want to skip a bit because it looks like rain and you'd better get on. When I've taken museum audio tours the worst ones are the ones that drone on well beyond what I actually care to listen to but also you have to listen all the way through the boring bits to get to the next good bit. If I'm interested in something I'm alright to spend some extra time looking at it without the audio as long as I can pick up the narration again when I get to the next bit. You can explicitly build that in - "When you're done looking around the scene of the 'orrible murder, turn right at the piss streaked wall and play the next chapter to hear about the time Stalin had a fistfight with an elephant. Or if you want to hear the full coroner's report complete with a word for Italians that you definitely shouldn't use any more, listen to the bonus chapter now.""

That's actually a really good idea. I've been thinking podcast, and so one monolithic file, but there's no reason at all why I couldn't do it more like an audiobook broken into chapters, and just say "okay you can skip to the next track now if you want to move on, or you can stand here while I tell you about Princess Margaret and the Kray Twins", or "I'm just going to burble on a bit about Billy Ocean as we walk down here, feel free to skip and pause" or even a CYOA-style "If you want to hear about the Russian Revolution, go to Chapter 4, or if you'd rather hear about the history of the underground lines around here, go to Chapter 5, or listen to both and wander up and down the market for a bit". As long as I make sure the intro and outro is nice and clear about where I'm talking about, it could still work (I'm trying - for personal preference - to keep it to something controllable and understandable without taking your phone out).

You sod, I thought I'd come up with a perfectly honourable reason to abandon the idea, and you've given me both a solution and also far more bloody work.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's actually a really good idea. I've been thinking podcast, and so one monolithic file, but there's no reason at all why I couldn't do it more like an audiobook broken into chapters, and just say "okay you can skip to the next track now if you want to move on, or you can stand here while I tell you about Princess Margaret and the Kray Twins", or "I'm just going to burble on a bit about Billy Ocean as we walk down here, feel free to skip and pause" or even a CYOA-style "If you want to hear about the Russian Revolution, go to Chapter 4, or if you'd rather hear about the history of the underground lines around here, go to Chapter 5, or listen to both and wander up and down the market for a bit". As long as I make sure the intro and outro is nice and clear about where I'm talking about, it could still work (I'm trying - for personal preference - to keep it to something controllable and understandable without taking your phone out).

You sod, I thought I'd come up with a perfectly honourable reason to abandon the idea, and you've given me both a solution and also far more bloody work.

You could do it in pieces then: do an outline of the main bits then gradually infill as 'updates' to the app.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Probably an annoying way of doing it, but have geolocation tags so you can open the app, and see if there are any nearby locations that have audio files associated with them. When you're close enough to the location a button is added to the sidebar for that talk.

And as you say, you can then choose to keep listening or play a different speech for somewhere else nearby.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sorry to hear it! It sounds like a fun project though. I don't anticipate visiting London in the foreseeable future, but wandering around Google maps for a bit and learning about the sordid dealings of the great and good seems like a nice afternoon.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

big scary monsters posted:

Sorry to hear it! It sounds like a fun project though. I don't anticipate visiting London in the foreseeable future, but wandering around Google maps for a bit and learning about the sordid dealings of the great and good seems like a nice afternoon.

I would 100% roam around London to twisto's narration.

e: once the plague is over in 2055.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
My power has been out since this morning. I am playing catch up. Pennsylvania is the key upcoming result? Do you know when this will be?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jippa posted:

My power has been out since this morning. I am playing catch up. Pennsylvania is the key upcoming result? Do you know when this will be?
Wisconsin is looking like the most likely result to confirm Biden's win - he doesn't need Pennsylvania to win if Wisconsin is confirmed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Flayer posted:

Wisconsin is looking like the most likely result to confirm Biden's win - he doesn't need Pennsylvania to win if Wisconsin is confirmed.

Cheers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1324006491515441154?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Better image than

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Drone_Fragger posted:

Not entirely sure that you interpreting “police psychologically torture foreigner into false confession” as a slam dunk take of “Amanda Knox tried to frame a guy” is a good take to have.

I'm not defending the Italian Polices actions or even there version of events. What I am critical of is how Amanda Knox offered up an innocent man to save her own skin.
History is full of instances of people being wrongfully arrested for crimes they didn't do (like the Birmingham Six or the Guildford Four.) And they didn't try to stitch someone e else up.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324007806694023169

Lol

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Even if you don’t see much difference between Biden and Trump don’t you want to see Trump lose just to witness his meltdown?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

he can’t help the fact that he has resting rich face

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

therattle posted:

Even if you don’t see much difference between Biden and Trump don’t you want to see Trump lose just to witness his meltdown?

On the other hand resulting meltdown could also trigger race war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

therattle posted:

That is certainly one of the main motivating factors.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

I'm not defending the Italian Polices actions or even there version of events. What I am critical of is how Amanda Knox offered up an innocent man to save her own skin.
History is full of instances of people being wrongfully arrested for crimes they didn't do (like the Birmingham Six or the Guildford Four.) And they didn't try to stitch someone e else up.
You can't really hold people accountable for things they said under torture though, that's a basic principle of justice (that gets ignored whenever it's inconvenient). In the case of the Guildford Four they confessed to their own and the other three's involvement under illegal interrogation, but the blame for that falls on the police.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Cool cool, now lets see how that ideology holds up when you're in a foreign jail with 6 cops punching you in the face.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol the state ofthis country

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1324019870594408449?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

otherwise its just a sparkling self propelled gun

This comic annoys me coz the dem guy has an inconsistently drawn nose

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Communist Thoughts posted:

This comic annoys me coz the dem guy has an inconsistently drawn nose

Isn’t it only different in panel two where his eyes are shut and his head is tilted further in this direction?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

seems like a pretty good day to release something like this while all the usual talking heads are desperately trying to remember which one's Wisconsin and which is Minnesota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
only 38 mps voted against second lockdown