Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Trump's lead in Georgia is down to 87,000 votes. Estimated 383,651 left count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

Why?

All her numbers are insane.

Pete probably knows its his job to stop her be he doesn't stand a chance.

You're forgetting that this forum purity tests everyone to death :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It is pretty tiring that people keep trying to use the "Biden didn't offer ANYTHING" argument when that is provably untrue. You can argue he didn't get the message out there or wasn't believable enough but Biden's healthcare plan had more detail than anything Trump has offered in the past four years and was a center part of the debates.

there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here. When people say "you need to offer people something to win their votes" they don't mean that people will vote for whichever candidate whose mediocre at best healthcare plan has more pages. they mean that people are excited by candidates who say "I will get you free healthcare, I will give you clean water, I will fix your infrastructure"
because ultimately trump's empty promises that he pulls out of nowhere and obviously doesn't intend to follow up on are still more exciting to people than "I promise to create a committee to examine the possibility of maybe giving a low-interest loan to people who have owned a small business for 5 years and make under $40k a year and hire 10 employees or less if it's a tuesday and Mars is in line with Jupiter "

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Someone posted that there was a county in Penn that wasn't counting mail ins because they'd be hard to "uncount" if it went to court. Which county was this and was that total bullshit?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Lemming posted:

Ok, then you can look at all the referendums that vastly outpaced Biden's vote share that did things like raise the minimum wage and legalize weed

Just because 60% vote for min wage and 60% vote for legal weed does mean it's the same 60%. If you put every progressive issue in a ballot and they all individually win, that doesn't mean that a candidate with that exact combination of policies would win, because the people who voted yes on one might vote no on the other and looking at single-issue polling doesn't tell you anything about the weighted importance of those issues relative to one another.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I don't see what stops democratic candidates from campaigning on the positive things they want to do for people and are enthusiastic about the chance to enact? Like what is hard about every chance you get telling people how good healthcare could be, how people could just go to the hospital and get checked out if there's anything wrong with them, no stress about bills, no nothing, it's just there, it works, imagine taking your kids there, imagine taking your parents there, loving connect with people?

Yes politics needs a positive message, people want to feel positive about poo poo, that's how leadership is supposed to work, isn't it? That's why we have leaders isn't it? That's what they're supposed to be for to get people fired up about doing poo poo?

A large issue there is once again voter demographic.

If the Democrats promise to do something and are unable to do it, they will be marked as failures and inept and incompetent. If they make promises and break them it gets remembered for years.

If the Republicans do it their voters don't care as long as they get enough red meat to go gently caress You.

This does NOT mean I think the Democrats shouldn't do that but it isn't as simple as it sounds. There needs to be at least some plausibility and actual plans. Obama was a wet fart but the ACA *was* a positive step for a lot of people. Sanders spoke of high-minded stuff but he also has genuine plans and policy even if they were pretty implausibly optimistic. (And even then people called him too policy-focused because lol.) You can't just say good things and then not back them up and while a good portion of that is on the Democrats it's worth noting that the current makeup of the government makes it nearly impossible to succeed even if they wanted to, and the Democrats absolutely bear the brunt of that failure.

This does not mean "oh those poor Democrats treated so unfairly" but that the "run the Republican playbook" stuff only works if your party is unified and completely willing to ignore broken promises and objectively worse situations as long as they feel good, and at least a significant minority of Democratic voters don't feel that way and will hold Democrats to their failures. (As they absolutely should.)

Augus posted:

there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here. When people say "you need to offer people something to win their votes" they don't mean that people will vote for whichever candidate whose mediocre at best healthcare plan has more pages. they mean that people are excited by candidates who say "I will get you free healthcare, I will give you clean water, I will fix your infrastructure"
because ultimately trump's empty promises that he pulls out of nowhere and obviously doesn't intend to follow up on are still more exciting to people than "I promise to create a committee to examine the possibility of maybe giving a low-interest loan to people who have owned a small business for 5 years and make under $40k a year and hire 10 employees or less if it's a tuesday and Mars is in line with Jupiter "

Right, and the assumption here seems to be "and Democratic voters will be absolutely okay if they fail at that" which I don't think is true.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Byzantine posted:

Totally. Biden sits behind the big desk going blblblblblb, the GOP takes over the Congress in 2022, then any progressive momentum in 2024 gets shot down by either Biden re-election or Harris coronation, and either of them lose to the Republican because the anti-Trump 'coalition' vanishes once Trump's gone.

How does the meteor that falls directly onto the white house flagpole on Decembruary 93rd, 2020 factor into this prediction?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

OwlFancier posted:

I don't see what stops democratic candidates from campaigning on the positive things they want to do for people and are enthusiastic about the chance to enact? Like what is hard about every chance you get telling people how good healthcare could be, how people could just go to the hospital and get checked out if there's anything wrong with them, no stress about bills, no nothing, it's just there, it works, imagine taking your kids there, imagine taking your parents there, loving connect with people?

Yes politics needs a positive message, people want to feel positive about poo poo, that's how leadership is supposed to work, isn't it? That's why we have leaders isn't it? That's what they're supposed to be for to get people fired up about doing poo poo?

They could, but they aren't because they're too convinced that if they find the right sort of triangulation that will bring the votes and the primary voters vote for people with the charisma of a stump. And this isn't a "Bernie would have won" thing either. I voted Bernie in the primary and hate Biden, but I frequently had people I know tell me that he came off like an angry grandpa.

I think this is also a huge problem with left-leaning media as well. My perception is that Fox news, as an example, is just more positive in general when they're not attacking Democrats and the left.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ImpAtom posted:

If the Democrats promise to do something and are unable to do it, they will be marked as failures and inept and incompetent. If they make promises and break them it gets remembered for years.

If the Republicans do it their voters don't care as long as they get enough red meat to go gently caress You.
Have you ever heard of the Tea Party? Did you follow Trump's 2016 campaign, like, at all? Do you have any explanation for why Jeb Bush isn't president right now beyond "not enough red meat?"

ImpAtom posted:

This does NOT mean I think the Democrats shouldn't do that but it isn't as simple as it sounds. There needs to be at least some plausibility and actual plans. Obama was a wet fart but the ACA *was* a positive step for a lot of people. Sanders spoke of high-minded stuff but he also has genuine plans and policy even if they were pretty implausibly optimistic. (And even then people called him too policy-focused because lol.)
No. Sit down, Elizabeth. No one gives a drat about "plans."

FDR did not get people to vote for him by standing at a pulpit and reading a three-inch-thick document called The New Deal. This preoccupation with "detailed plans" was crafted by media strategists and is taking up storage space in your head, rent-free.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 4, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thom12255 posted:

Progressive policies always poll well - Progressive Candidates absolutely don't lol.

The other thing is that sometimes people support things like this at a high level, but once you start discussing specifics, there’s disagreement over certain aspects and it’s hard to get everybody on board.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

We do, 22 will be the first election on the new maps

oh phew. almost gave me a heart attack there. cause 2022 is indeed more than likely gonna be a bloodbath for dems

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

My called shot is that Cory Booker is on the ballot in 2024 in the DNC’s attempt to recreate Obama.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Coredump posted:

How did that effect the needle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A large issue there is once again voter demographic.

This does NOT mean I think the Democrats shouldn't do that but it isn't as simple as it sounds. There needs to be at least some plausibility and actual plans. Obama was a wet fart but the ACA *was* a positive step for a lot of people. Sanders spoke of high-minded stuff but he also has genuine plans and policy even if they were pretty implausibly optimistic. (And even then people called him too policy-focused because lol.) You can't just say good things and then not back them up and while a good portion of that is on the Democrats it's worth noting that the current makeup of the government makes it nearly impossible to succeed even if they wanted to, and the Democrats absolutely bear the brunt of that failure.

This does not mean "oh those poor Democrats treated so unfairly" but that the "run the Republican playbook" stuff only works if your party is unified and completely willing to ignore broken promises and objectively worse situations as long as they feel good, and at least a significant minority of Democratic voters don't feel that way and will hold Democrats to their failures. (As they absolutely should.)

Right, and the assumption here seems to be "and Democratic voters will be absolutely okay if they fail at that" which I don't think is true.

If the party can't even pick one issue to campaign on enthusiastically and get done in a way that actually helps people unambiguously then... what even is the point in them? It doesn't have to be everything, but if they campaign on something and get it done that is how you build credibility. If they have so little credibility isn't that just a result of decades of terrible lack of delivery?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Coredump posted:

I like those odds

https://mobile.twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1324039323335929858

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

spunkshui posted:

Why?

All her numbers are insane.

Pete probably knows its his job to stop her be he doesn't stand a chance.

Just an opinion but she will have the Dem ticket in 2024. If progressives gain a lot of seats in 2022 then she'll stay progressive. If they don't gain any seats or lose some the party will take it as the country is still not ready for going that far left and will start moving her more moderate.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The needle was turned off at 6am. RIP the needle.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I know this is probably a joke but it's actually 64% Biden right now lmao

e: oh they turned it off? that's hilarious

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Bashez posted:

Someone posted that there was a county in Penn that wasn't counting mail ins because they'd be hard to "uncount" if it went to court. Which county was this and was that total bullshit?

Lancaster county, it’s full of chuds and Amish which are also pretty chudish

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

raminasi posted:

Does anybody have a quick summary of why the blue shift that turned 2018 into a belated landslide won't be happening with the House this year?

My impression: Because we did so well in 2018 there are many more very vulnerable Democratic house seats in overall R districts, and very few vulnerable Republican house seats relative to in 2018. Combine w/ high turnout from republicans as well this year relative to 2018 and I think it’s not that surprising - it seems very hard to get that much above the high watermark set two years ago. But I guess there are still a lot of uncalled races so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

So as long as everyone's throwing around conjecture during this state of limbo...

What's next in 2024? How hosed are we?

Do something local to get involved in your community and improve lives on that level and let national politics go for a while, imo. Nobody knows what will happen.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

raminasi posted:

Does anybody have a quick summary of why the blue shift that turned 2018 into a belated landslide won't be happening with the House this year?

House Democrats spent the last two years balking at doing anything of significance, passed nearly all of Trump's requested budgets and appointees, speedran the narrowest impeachment possible, and then told anyone who criticized them or complained that we have to vote extra hard this year and bmaybe if we're lucky some stuff might change.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

OwlFancier posted:

If the party can't even pick one issue to campaign on enthusiastically and get done in a way that actually helps people unambiguously then... what even is the point in them? It doesn't have to be everything, but if they campaign on something and get it done that is how you build credibility. If they have so little credibility isn't that just a result of decades of terrible lack of delivery?

You can't campaign on a single issue because there are 50 states and they don't all care about all the issues. The Republicans get a free pass on this because 40% of the voters are "no to literally every good thing", but for Dems the voters can be "yes to one good thing, no to the rest" or "yes to everything but abortion, and if you say anything about abortion I'll vote for the republican" and there's sometimes no way to thread the needle there in a way that counts to 50%

Mat Cauthon posted:

House Democrats spent the last two years balking at doing anything of significance, passed nearly all of Trump's requested budgets and appointees, speedran the narrowest impeachment possible, and then told anyone who criticized them or complained that we have to vote extra hard this year and bmaybe if we're lucky some stuff might change.

They passed a bunch of good poo poo, including voter re-enfranchisement, unemployment extension, and emergency universal income checks, but turns out you actually need the senate to pass laws.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Bashez posted:

Amish county that Trump led by like 20 points.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Failboattootoot posted:

Policy is meaningless. 75% of people can want m4a but at least 25 of that 75% is qanon poisoned and isn't going to vote dem no matter what.

Yes, and? 75% handily beats 25%.

Augus posted:

It's this, yes. We'll never know though because the dems refuse to run an actual progressive politician.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Machine posted:

it's worth pointing out that amish generally don't vote, as part of the whole theology of remaining separated from the world. likewise, amish generally don't seek political office

if they DID vote in large numbers, they would probably lean R being religious conservatives. but even 20% turnout among amish would be shockingly high

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

raminasi posted:

Some initial impressions:

-There actually was a small GOP wave to mirror the blue wave. Turnout was really high on both sides, the polls were really loving wrong.
-Dem leadership has been fairly lovely, partly because they were relying on those polls as correct and weren't investing in the right races and places. Not the House, but two big examples are the huge amounts of money poured into Senate races that Dems thought were contestable but they ended up losing in a landslide. McGrath in Kentucky got I think $60mil, mostly outside donations, and lost by loving 20 points to Mitch McConnell. Harrison raised like $100mil and lost by 15 points to Lindsey Graham in SC.

Really there are a lot of similiarities with 2016, except Biden did slightly better than Clinton. The polls were wrong, Dems were overconfident and invested time and money in the wrong places. There was a surge in voting on both sides, not just Dems.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Secret Machine posted:

I was hoping it was bumfuck nowhere holding like 20 ballots but that's actually big, yeeesh.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

raminasi posted:

Pelosi is one of the worst public communicators in history.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I blame the media really. The house was giving speeches almost every day about the pile of legislation being held up by the senate, but you wouldn't know it based on our trash media.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Any place to get an update on the AZ count? NYT hasn't really updated the count for a couple of hours.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BougieBitch posted:

Just because 60% vote for min wage and 60% vote for legal weed does mean it's the same 60%. If you put every progressive issue in a ballot and they all individually win, that doesn't mean that a candidate with that exact combination of policies would win, because the people who voted yes on one might vote no on the other and looking at single-issue polling doesn't tell you anything about the weighted importance of those issues relative to one another.

Yeah that's why it's a better idea to run a centrist dipshit who believes in none of the policies and vastly underperforms oh whoops lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you ever heard of the Tea Party? Did you follow Trump's 2016 campaign, like, at all? Do you have any explanation for why Jeb Bush isn't president right now beyond "not enough red meat?"

No. Sit down, Elizabeth. No one gives a drat about "plans."

FDR did not get people to vote for him by standing at a pulpit and reading a three-inch-thick document called The New Deal. This preoccupation with "detailed plans" was crafted by media strategists and is taking up storage space in your head, rent-free.

FDR didn't exist in the era where massive social media companies have unprecedented control over the American psyche and have proven to be able to craft completely alternate realities.

OwlFancier posted:

"Get it done" involves having the ability to actually do things. It turns out that if one third of the government dedicates itself entirely to obstructing everything a party does that is pretty hard. This does not mean trying is bad but the argument of "why don't they just do the good things" is that at least one party has figured out that obstructing literally everything is an entirely effective and valid tactic.

You can argue they should be louder about it (and I agree) but being louder about it still involves being able to get the message through the modern mess of discourse and even provenly political junkies like people on these threads often miss things because Trump decided to fart on a prime minister that day and one gets more ratings than the other.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Small White Dragon posted:

The other thing is that sometimes people support things like this at a high level, but once you start discussing specifics, there’s disagreement over certain aspects and it’s hard to get everybody on board.

Isn't there also a not-insignificant chunk of white people who are very supportive of strong social safety nets and the like on the condition that only white people benefit from it?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Just Chamber posted:

Hopefully this will wake some people up into not viewing a group of people (in this case Hispanics) as a monolith and realise that actually there's a proportion of humans of any color that a racist cocky bigot like trump just appeals to. In a way its good for future dem campaigns because they now know they have to work hard on these communities rather than assume they all think the same and will vote blue.

As long as Dem leadership is the way it is, it seems like it'll be a struggle for that to happen. They need to fix their poo poo and fix it soon.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Coredump posted:

If my napkin math is right (and those numbers are accurate), that means Biden needs about 65-70% of those outstanding votes to swing in his favor. I guess it's not impossible with how other mail-in votes have been trending, but it's still frustratingly close.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BougieBitch posted:

You can't campaign on a single issue because there are 50 states and they don't all care about all the issues. The Republicans get a free pass on this because 40% of the voters are "no to literally every good thing", but for Dems the voters can be "yes to one good thing, no to the rest" or "yes to everything but abortion, and if you say anything about abortion I'll vote for the republican" and there's sometimes no way to thread the needle there in a way that counts to 50%

You say that, but Republicans do a good job campaigning on ending abortion and that gets them a ton of votes nationwide

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Does that include the ranked choice stuff?

Should.

Politico says there are more votes than NYT
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-maine.html

and there's less of a gap, but I don't know...

Looks like 65% mail in for maine

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

LorneReams posted:

I have been. It's not working. I pushed and got an extremely progressive candidate elected in a special election. He won by like 12 votes. I then pushed and got a slate of 4 progressive candidates running for this cycle. I spent hundreds of hours phone banking and chatting up people, marketing fliers with policy positions that seem like common loving sense, and the result was they all lost by hundreds of votes. Every single one of them. I consider my local area to be mostly progressive, and you get that when you talk to people. The things they want are aligned closely with progressive goals and ideals. Then the area goes 49% for Trump and I feel like I'm living on another loving planet.

Same. Everything I've worked for locally has gotten completely blown the gently caress out in the most favorable environment for progressive change that I've ever seen. We picked a marine who trained death squads in Panama over progressive alternatives championing MfA, killed ranked choice voting, picked a "actually, we should murder more coloreds" guy for sheriff... I'm done with voters forever, I'm redirecting all my work to mutual aid and a couple interest groups for affordable housing and green initiatives.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BougieBitch posted:

many people want to make more money and also hate, e.g, abortion. you're correct that these outcomes give insight but nothing concrete.