Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

OGS-Remix posted:

Everyone who wants to replace Jimmy G needs to seriously consider who is better. Looking at the list of starting QBs, there's fewer then like 6 I'd take over healthy Jimmy G. If you want to draft better, that's fine but the 49ers aren't going to pick high enough. So what are you going to do?

Here's my list of QBs I'd take over Jimmy G in no particular order:

Patrick Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Aaron Rodgers - Maybe
Dak Prescott - Maybe

Tua Tagovailoa - Potential

What on earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’m laughing at that list but it’s worth noting that Jimmy was really only 100% for a single game this year so I am not sure how you evaluate that aside from being concerned about his reliability.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

OGS-Remix posted:

Everyone who wants to replace Jimmy G needs to seriously consider who is better. Looking at the list of starting QBs, there's fewer then like 6 I'd take over healthy Jimmy G. If you want to draft better, that's fine but the 49ers aren't going to pick high enough. So what are you going to do?

Patrick Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Aaron Rodgers - Maybe
Dak Prescott - Maybe

I feel like I am taking crazy pills when sports media or others constantly act like Garoppolo is above average in the ~ QB10-15 range. Putting him at QB ~8 seems insane. He is probably closer to QB20, with little ability to stage a comeback if they fall behind, he is a game manager who throws 10 random interceptions a year with no pressure on him to a defensive back that is just standing by himself or into triple coverage (on top of normal turnovers when DBs make good plays etc). He is Foles tier at best and the only thing making him look better than garbage is significantly above average offensive play calling and coaching for his whole career. The 49ers win when Garoppolo does not need to do anything and lose if they do need him to do something (though I guess that could be axiomatic because if they don't need him to do anything by default he is winning).

I am finding it hard to make a list of starting QBs that are objectively worse than him, since most of the ones like Darnold have a terrible team, but it is not a long list without going into QBs that are backups that have ended up starting. Maybe Darnold, Haskins, Trubs? I would have him in the same grouping as Lock, Foles, bad Minshew etc. Put Stafford on the 49ers and they won the SB last year and win 2 more games a season.

He is an inverse Alex Smith, where Smith might have been above average and looked terrible for the first half of his career due to bad coaching, Garoppolo is probably below average but looks better due to good coaching.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 4, 2020

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh boy

https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1324029139783872512

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
the 49ers really need to look into snapping up all that aztec gold they frittered away

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Spoeank posted:

lol delete this

Kyler, Tanny, Herbz, Stafford, Burrow, at least all get a seat at the table

Keith Atherton posted:

:lol: Kyler Murray and Justin Herbert show promise far beyond Garrapalo’s known limitations

Oh yeah Kyler is definitely better. I dunno why I forgot about him. Tannehill leans on the run game just as much as Jimmy. I haven't watched Herbert too much tbh but sure, put him up there too.

Stafford and Burrow have suffered under bad coaching/bad rest of the team; it's fair to say they would do better under Shanahan.

Even putting everyone else listed as an improvement, it would be difficult to get any of them on the team.

There are a lot of valid reasons to get rid of Jimmy, but I want to know who the upgrade is.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

OGS-Remix posted:

Patrick Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Aaron Rodgers - Maybe
Dak Prescott - Maybe

Now this is a hot take

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe someone would pick Jimmy G over noted top 10 quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Peachfart posted:

Now this is a hot take

The content I crave

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jimmy G is firmly in the tier of PA Boot system guys along with Goff, Tannehill and Cousins. You wouldn't dump him unless you have someone better and he runs the system well, but if a guy like Dak was in reach you would dump him in an instant.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Cmon you guys. Tannehill is good. Don't slander him like that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Seasons gone from gloom to maximum hilarity now. Can't help but laugh at the fire spreading from dumpster to dumpster.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Since I don't feel like being productive working, here are a few broad QB tiers:

QBs I feel comfortable saying are better than Garoppolo:
Murray
Wilson
Prescott
Mahomes
Josh Allen
Jackson
Watson
Tannehill
Brady
Ryan
Rodgers
Burrow
Roethlisberger
Brees
Herbert
Stafford

Likely better, but debatable:
Carr
Mayfield
Goff
Minshew
Wentz
Fitzpatrick

Garoppolo tier (loosely in rank order):
Cousins
Rivers
Bridgewater
Mullens
Garoppolo
Kyle Allen
Lock
Foles
Jones

Likely worse than Garoppolo:
Newton
Trubs
Darnold
Haskins

It feels like there is such a big tier drop off from "decent" QBs to not, that even if he was generously ranked QB 18 or whatever he would be closer to QB 25 in performance than QB15.

I did not realize I was so opinionated about Garoppolo until it was time to start typing about him.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 4, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maybe the PED Moore pissed hot for was Dexamethasone...

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe the PED Moore pissed hot for was Dexamethasone...

Moving from DE to DT due to steroid bloat

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pain of Mind posted:

Since I don't feel like being productive working, here are a few broad QB tiers:

Murray
Wilson
Prescott
Mahomes
Josh Allen
Jackson
Watson
Tannehill
Brady
Ryan
Rodgers
Burrow
Roethlisberger
Brees
Herbert
Stafford

Carr
Mayfield
Goff
Minshew
Wentz
Fitzpatrick

Cousins
Rivers
Bridgewater
Mullens
Garoppolo
Kyle Allen
Lock
Foles
Jones

Newton
Trubs
Darnold
Haskins

It feels like there is such a big tier drop off from "decent" QBs to not, that even if he was generously ranked QB 18 or whatever he would be closer to QB 25 in performance than QB15.

I did not realize I was so opinionated about Garoppolo until it was time to start typing about him.

I'd say it's a good list, but Wentz has been flat out awful this year (which seems to be a continuation of the end of last year), and it looks like Minshew mania is ending (sadly) as he's not making the step forward that he should be. I'd easily rank them as "likely worse."

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think Garoppolo belongs in the debatable tier instead of the Garoppolo tier.

Either way he's entirely mediocre, can't stay healthy, and they should dump him in an instant if there's anyone in FA or the draft they think is better.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pain of Mind posted:

Murray
Wilson
Prescott
Mahomes
Josh Allen
Jackson
Watson
Tannehill
Brady
Ryan
Rodgers
Burrow
Roethlisberger
Brees
Herbert
Stafford

Carr
Mayfield
Goff
Minshew
Wentz
Fitzpatrick

Cousins
Rivers
Bridgewater
Mullens
Garoppolo
Kyle Allen
Lock
Foles
Jones

Newton
Trubs
Darnold
Haskins

Poor Cam has covid brain I'm bummed to see him put in that tier

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

seiferguy posted:

I'd say it's a good list, but Wentz has been flat out awful this year (which seems to be a continuation of the end of last year), and it looks like Minshew mania is ending (sadly) as he's not making the step forward that he should be. I'd easily rank them as "likely worse."

Yeah and I'd flip Bridgewater up (he could easily have done what Garropolo did last year in the same situation). Maybe cousins too. Jimmy is just acceptable but has The Look.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Goff, Cousins, Garoppalo are all the same tier of poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

half cocaine posted:

I’m fine with that except clearly they aren’t poo poo, they’re just fine. You can make a super bowl with 2/3 at least so

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
While you definitely want to upgrade at QB, the conversation started as "will he be cut after this season". So it's not so much about who is better as it is "do you want to pay $26m+ for Garoppalo" as opposed to either less for another established QB or fight hard to try and land a potential up and comer. I don't see anyone top notch coming out with the exception that Dak doesn't get franchised and makes a full recovery.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Put Darnold on a better team with a mediocre coach and he'll be elite.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Didn't they get rid of this dude? Or was that Pettis?

Pain of Mind posted:

What QBs are available next year? No idea how cap space looks, but if the 49ers could replace Garoppolo with Prescott they would be quite good! Assuming they don't all get hurt again.

I would recommend going through the draft. Maybe targeting Justin Fields or Trey Lance maybe? You could also check out guys like Kyle Trask, Zach Wilson or Mac Jones although I don't like them that much. I don't think there will be as many quarterback needy teams this year so one of those guys might be available without moving up.

To me, the Jimmy thing is basically over. He's only a fraction better than the other two quarterbacks on the roster and sometimes he's worse. It's time to get the most out of this roster and this offense imo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Garoppolo reminds me of Joe Flacco. You know, that guy who won a super bowl (against the niners!) but then showed season after season afterward that actually he was just a basic, NFL replacement-tier competent who could certainly occasionally put together a great game, but who could absolutely not ever carry the team and definitely needed top-notch play calling, protection, and weapons in order to do well.

Of course all of this is academic, because what the Niners need to win is for their RBs, Kittle, and monstrous DL to be healthy. Joe Flacco, even today, could win another superbowl with that team and that coach. I don't care if Jimmy G stays in for the next six years, that gives the niners multiple years of good shots at a title. I'd be delighted to get someone really good in there! But we don't actually need it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Leperflesh posted:

Garoppolo reminds me of Joe Flacco. You know, that guy who won a super bowl (against the niners!) but then showed season after season afterward that actually he was just a basic, NFL replacement-tier competent who could certainly occasionally put together a great game, but who could absolutely not ever carry the team and definitely needed top-notch play calling, protection, and weapons in order to do well.

Of course all of this is academic, because what the Niners need to win is for their RBs, Kittle, and monstrous DL to be healthy. Joe Flacco, even today, could win another superbowl with that team and that coach. I don't care if Jimmy G stays in for the next six years, that gives the niners multiple years of good shots at a title. I'd be delighted to get someone really good in there! But we don't actually need it.

The real question is can you get someone else in there who is good enough for less money, so you can keep those necessary elements of the team around him

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

half cocaine posted:

I do mentally bin Goff, Cousins, and Garoppolo together in that they can look all-pro one game and then look like they have never played football before and drank a 5th of vodka 2 minutes before the game started. The reason why I put Goff higher is that I feel he has a little more fun slinging ability. Watching 49er games it seems like Garoppolo pads his stats early in the game or with a reasonable lead, but then when he is under pressure to win the game through passing he falls apart. I knew the super bowl was over last year the second the 49ers fell behind because Garoppolo seems to get panicked and get worse in situations where the 49ers need his arm to win the game, and not their ground game or defense.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
As someone who helped kick off this season's Jimmy panic here, I'd still call him passable and rank him around the middle of the league, which as noted is usually fine to keep the team competitive when our actual star players are available.

The broader problem is that there's almost zero free-agency market for even passable QBs; they're all locked up on other teams, and the draft is the only real option.

Also, I know Daniel Jones is still very young and on a significantly worse team, but he's unquestionably on a lower tier than Jimmy, c'mon.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

The real question is can you get someone else in there who is good enough for less money, so you can keep those necessary elements of the team around him

Just double checked I didn't even realize that (as of right now) his $26.9m is 11th among QBs. That will definitely drop a few spots as others get paid, so... maybe keeping him on is not that crazy?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mods change my name to aaron rodgers - maybe

Not really but if you see this and actually do want to change my name please change it to "breddy tidgewater" and give me a panthers Spurdo Spar av

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

DariusLikewise posted:

Jimmy G is firmly in the tier of PA Boot system guys along with Goff, Tannehill and Cousins. You wouldn't dump him unless you have someone better and he runs the system well, but if a guy like Dak was in reach you would dump him in an instant.

Jesus, putting them all on a list together really establishes the cabin in the mountains they all share on the Top QB list together.

"Hows the moose, Kirk?
"About top 16, Ryan."

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/1324148129587896321?s=20

Just concede the game, 49ers.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Doesn’t Green Bay have some position where everyone is dead, too?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oh lmao bourne was the guy that actually had covid. this game is going to be sick

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

hifi posted:

oh lmao bourne was the guy that actually had covid. this game is going to be sick

Is it too late to opt out of the season? This is going to be the worst game out of all the Thursday night games so far this season. Except maybe the one which was actually cancelled due to Covid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well that's that.

poo poo, we can even pull a fan out of the stands to suit up this season.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

mllaneza posted:

poo poo, we can even pull a fan out of the stands to suit up this season.

Cowboys vs Niners, only fans. I will watch this.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Lifespan posted:

Hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Lifespan posted:

question do players who are quarterbacks who are also on the IR with a high ankle sprain participate in the only fans