Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gaj70 posted:

Relatedly, what should I select for a (virtual cloud) headless server? 2 cores and a bunch of memory?

(we tried hosting it ourselves in the main game client, but the lag was horrible)

No idea, but try this first before paying for a server:

https://factorio.zone/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Is this a goon-run thing or something? It would be nice if me and my brother could use this to game together lag-free (or at least with less lag).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I haven't built a megabase and only had 4 players on it at most, but I run fine on Hetzner's smallest VPS, which is 1 core and 2GB memory.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the factorio server client is very lightweight. If you're experiencing lag I can only assume its connection related unless you happen to both have 2007 era potato computers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

M_Gargantua posted:

server client

The way colloquial computer vocabulary has evolved makes me uncomfortable.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I ascribe no specific technical knowledge to my vocabulary the moment you leave my area of professional expertise.

There is probably a better term for the software instance that connects all the player clients regardless of its its run on a server.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

M_Gargantua posted:

I ascribe no specific technical knowledge to my vocabulary the moment you leave my area of professional expertise.

There is probably a better term for the software instance that connects all the player clients regardless of its its run on a server.

You didn't do anything wrong. You're using the language as it's come to be used.

The technical jargon term for the program that everyone can connect to is "server".

"Server" as a term for a dedicated computer that runs server applications led to the increasingly common term you used "server client" to refer to something you install on a "server". It's no worse than saying "irregardless" it only annoys pedants.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Solarflare posted:

Is this a goon-run thing or something? It would be nice if me and my brother could use this to game together lag-free (or at least with less lag).

No, it's from a poster on the official Factorio forums.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
We've been playing the Space Exploration overhaul mod, that might explain it then. We've tried both of us hosting. Might just be my internet, not sure.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I hosted that K2+SE+70 other mods modpack I mentioned earlier just fine with one other person. There's too much poo poo tho so we went our separate ways in single player. Only 188 hours of Factorio in the past 2 weeks... granted a lot of that is afk with a 1 year old running around.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Goddamn this took way too long and I found another edge case where something maybe doesn't work and I think I have to rebuild it and stop "patching" my circuits. Ah well, it just took like 2 evenings and the throughput is poo poo. Why is it poo poo? Because the station became to small. Why is there so little space? I didn't want to redo the entry from the stacker when I started. I mean come on, how complicated can it be to unload 7 different things at one train station?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

:barf: why on earth would you do it like that. talk about grossly over-engineered. you'd be better off having 4 separate small stops and the train unloads two colours at a time (one to each side). belt balance to get a fully saturated belt and then splice it with another so there's a colour on each side. repeat for the other 3 stations (one would only offload to one side). you could fit them all within that diamond shape just to the west, then just have it feed into your labs from the west. oh you're purposefully trying to offload 7 things on a station as a challenge. my bad.

or just use logistic bots. those filter grabbers with a mishmash of everything on the belt is awful. or is it a total mess because you're using the logistic network to call in trains when the stock of whatever research is low? i feel repulsed and also dizzy from trying to figure out why you're making it way more complicated than it needs to be. or am i missing something

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Qubee posted:

:barf: why on earth would you do it like that. talk about grossly over-engineered. you'd be better off having 4 separate small stops and the train unloads two colours at a time (one to each side). belt balance to get a fully saturated belt and then splice it with another so there's a colour on each side. repeat for the other 3 stations (one would only offload to one side). you could fit them all within that diamond shape just to the west, then just have it feed into your labs from the west. oh you're purposefully trying to offload 7 things on a station as a challenge. my bad.

or just use logistic bots. those filter grabbers with a mishmash of everything on the belt is awful. or is it a total mess because you're using the logistic network to call in trains when the stock of whatever research is low? i feel repulsed and also dizzy from trying to figure out why you're making it way more complicated than it needs to be. or am i missing something

Nice meltdown. :) (Embrace the spaghetti!)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Because its cool and you can

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Shameful presence of grass and filthy dirt though, get on paving that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I love the colorful spaghetti

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

LTN is great, but I'm learning to love TSM (Train Supply Manager) more than LTN because...

Agree with most of what you said, but I found LTN to be way more powerful, flexible, and easier to set up than TSM. LTN feels like you are managing a train network as a whole from the top, while TSM feels like you are piecing together a bunch of independent automated routes into a train network. TSM definitely has some pros like you mentioned, but I really prefer LTNs reporting and features and interface. I only moved away from LTN in my most recent game because LTN and some other mods were hammering my ups, and apparently TSM is way easier on ups.

Not meant to be too harsh of a criticism of TSM, it's pretty good and I could see why some would prefer it. But if you are getting hardcore into trains and don't anticipate ups concerns, I'd suggest you give LTN a try. It's really great, and I miss it.

RVT fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 6, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RVT posted:

Agree with most of what you said, but I found LTN to be way more powerful, flexible, and easier to set up than TSM. LTN feels like you are managing a train network as a whole from the top, while TSM feels like you are piecing together a bunch of independent automated routes into a train network. TSM definitely has some pros like you mentioned, but I really prefer LTNs reporting and features and interface. I only moved away from LTN in my most recent game because LTN and some other mods were hammering my ups, and apparently TSM is way easier on ups.

That's fair. LTN is simpler in some ways, just need a big pool of trains available to handle requests and let it go. Learning to get the proper number of trains in the request queue for each station, and getting fuel out to all the depot's if you have a bunch scattered around is just a different set of things you have to do.

Another minor downside of LTN is the fixed 'size' of trains. In order for LTN to share the train pool they all need to be the same configuration, whereas with TSM since the trains are dedicated to a resource, they can be different (like 1-1 science trains, and big ore trains).

I've certainly got nothing against LTN, I've used it a lot.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

RabbitWizard posted:

Goddamn this took way too long and I found another edge case where something maybe doesn't work and I think I have to rebuild it and stop "patching" my circuits. Ah well, it just took like 2 evenings and the throughput is poo poo. Why is it poo poo? Because the station became to small. Why is there so little space? I didn't want to redo the entry from the stacker when I started. I mean come on, how complicated can it be to unload 7 different things at one train station?

You absolutely beautiful madman

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ikanreed posted:

The way colloquial computer vocabulary has evolved makes me uncomfortable.

At least companies are finally getting around to removing references to "master" and "slave" in their products.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For anyone that has played the Space Exploration mod, does it add a lot of difficulty to the game? Would you recommend it? Is it pretty much just vanilla but with space exploration and stuff?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Qubee posted:

For anyone that has played the Space Exploration mod, does it add a lot of difficulty to the game? Would you recommend it? Is it pretty much just vanilla but with space exploration and stuff?

The pre-space game gets a bit more complicated because it makes AAI Industries a mandatory dependency, and it makes oil patches finite.
You also have a few more threats. Biters don't get nastier but you have periodic meteor strikes and coronal mass ejections that can damage your base. They're mostly an annoyance that you can avoid by building meteor defence and planetary shields.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I played Krastorio + Space Exploration and kinda burned out just from the Krastorio stuff before I really got into the space exploration bits. YMMV, of course, everyone has their own tolerance for how much factorio they can handle in one stretch.

How complex is AAI compared to vanilla? If it's only a small step then that might be better, you'd get into the space exploration stuff more around midgame instead of it feeling like the endgame of a different complicated mod.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I definitely want to do a Krastorio run but I tried it once and was absolutely overwhelmed at the sheer scale of it. Maybe down the line I'll try and give it another shot.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Jabor posted:

I played Krastorio + Space Exploration and kinda burned out just from the Krastorio stuff before I really got into the space exploration bits. YMMV, of course, everyone has their own tolerance for how much factorio they can handle in one stretch.

How complex is AAI compared to vanilla? If it's only a small step then that might be better, you'd get into the space exploration stuff more around midgame instead of it feeling like the endgame of a different complicated mod.

AAI is not that much more complicated. It makes glass a little more prominent, I think it also makes base ore smelting 1:1.

I am in the middle of a space exploration game and it is quite complex.

- The space science trees are... large. There are like 5 kinds of space science, some with several "levels". These kinds of science, and most of their prerequisites, can only be based in space; which means they can only be built on space scaffolds; which means you need to build every block you put something on, like seablock.
- There's now actually a couple different levels of being in space; there's your local system, and then getting to interstellar travel to get to other systems and deep space or something? I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm 99% sure that some of the later space sciences can actually only be constructed outside your local system. You can also make spaceships that you fly around somehow which might or might not be important for interstellar travel
- There's a bunch of resources that aren't present on Nauvis, the starting planet. You have to go to other planets or to asteroid belts to mine them. This and your orbital construction outposts are kinda challenging to build because, like a normal map setup where you have to go super-far to get resources but even more so, you physically can't send power to those outposts from a central station (until some later game tech, anyway). So you have to decide whether to go all solar there, or build little power plants which might or might not be complicated by there not being water or coal or oil on that planet, etc etc
- There's a couple really annoying limitations on how you transport things in space. You have "delivery cannons", which are pretty much what they sound like, but which can only send a subset (and a particularly weird subset at that) of the items in the game. They can send most basic resources; some random high-throughput things like low density structures and heatshields; and barrels of some intermediate fluids; but they can't send, for instance, any kind of circuit. So if you're supplying a space mall, you probably want to have both a delivery cannon battery and an automatically controlled cargo rocket silo or two.
- This is enhanced by (at least default) beacons not being placeable in space and space assemblers not taking prod modules. So you really really really want to do just the bare minimum of construction actually in space, and have a robust logistic system from ground to orbit

That last item is definitely in the category of "this seems more obnoxious than fun", and the mod does contain a couple more items in this category:

- Logistics bot swarms have a chance to crash. That crash has a chance to do damage in a radius around where it crashed. You can reduce the chance do do damage with some midgame infinite research, but you can't reduce the chance to crash. Different planets/surfaces have different multipliers on the chance to crash, to give you incentives to build different ways I guess. But my problem with it is that there's two phases to the game:
1. I don't have bots/brought an inventory load to help me build an outpost , and therefore don't care if they crash
2. I have automated crafting bots/added them to the passel of random poo poo I send to the base, and therefore don't care if they crash

- Sometimes meteors spawn at a random place. They crash into the ground and damage stuff around them. Because the damage happens quickly, the damage notification fades away. You can build machines that prevent them, but they take ammo and have limited radius and ones that protect the whole surface sometimes charge really slowly. This means that there are also two phases here:
1. I don't have bot coverage. A loving meteor landed somewhere and gave me a damage notification that disappeared instantly. I have no idea where it happened and I won't find out until I'm diagnosing some lack of supply and trace it back to some blown up belts from the meteor 5 minutes later. gently caress
2. I have bot coverage and they just fix it, who cares

- There are these coronal mass ejections. They're rare, but when they spawn they're a giant energy beam from the sky that random-walks around, destroying whatever it touches. You can nominally build something that prevents this, but it requires as much energy input to prevent it as the CME delivers, and that's usually hundreds of GJ. Good luck! Bots automatically repairing things aren't that effective either unless you have really robust power networks because it might isolate big sections of base from power. I turned their frequency way down.

- If a building has more than one beacon affecting it, it stops working
- You have to have life support and a specific kind of power armor to survive in space. This is again either a "guess I can't do that then" or just plain trivial.
- For some reason health regen is heavily nerfed and you can only reasonably regain health from medpacks, which have to be crafted in the early game from fish. Also personal shields are a mid game tech that you can only get from space-based research; replacing them are these "active armor" things that are just straight worse. Hope you like clicking on fish until you get tanks
- You need space variants of belts and pipes to build them in, well, space. Space underground pipes are really expensive, like 10 pipes for 6 span, but there are also these like 15-long pipes for 10 base pipes that you're supposed to use that don't do side connection? It's kind of pointlessly complex.

So basically, it's complex in some good ways and complex in some bad ways and has some random pointless seeming limitations but man it's really cool to be building a solar-system spanning factory, so it's kind of up to you whether you find it worth it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm still very confused about how to use LTN. Does LTN commandeer random trains and boss them around? Or do I need to somehow order my trains to become part of the logistic train network?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
I've also been playing a space exploration game, and I'm almost ready to start building a satellite rocket at like 50+ hours into the save (just because I am a relatively new player)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm about 50 hours into my K2+SE game and loving it so far. Mostly agree with Phobeste, but a lot of the annoyances are disablable via settings. I've made it to space and am 2 of the new resources away from collecting them all, so I'm established on 3 other planets as well. I've just now completed the first level of one of the 5 space sciences mentioned. I spent 2 hours last night putting together the puzzle of material science 1 on my space platform... it was awesome. I'll be able to post some pics a little later but all in all it's been an awesome experience. I just have to decide now if I want to commit to the finish. It's probably going to be another 200 hours of puzzles...

edit: I've also edited some stuff on my end to smooth out the experience a little, like allowing beacons in space.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 6, 2020

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

nrook posted:

I'm still very confused about how to use LTN. Does LTN commandeer random trains and boss them around? Or do I need to somehow order my trains to become part of the logistic train network?

if you send a train to a supply depot it will become part of the logistic network

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

nrook posted:

LTN requires you to set up a Depot stop for each train on the network. You end up with basically a huge stacker of LTN stops all chained together with green/red wire and set to have the "Depot" signal.
Next you set up "Supply" stations, which are basically exporters--let's say you're mass-producing Green Circuits, for example, and stuffing them all in chests around a train stop. Wire all those chests to the stop's input, and use a Constant Combinator to add the Supply Threshold data to it, so it knows to let the system know when it has, say, 10k Green Circuits ready.
Then you set up "Request" stations, which are basically importers--let's use the Green Circuit example. You have chests set up to pull out of a train car at this Request station, and use the Constant Combinator to connect all the chests, but this time set the Request Threshold to whatever you want the minimum delivery size to be, and ALSO set a Green Circuit signal to a negative amount equal to the maximum number of Green Circuits you want at the station.
That sounds complicated at first, but what it means is: Let's say you set the negative Green Circuits to 100k. LTN is going to keep sending trainloads of Green Circuits to that stop until the amount in the chests equals that negative amount--its goal is to get the Green Circuit signal to be positive at a Request stop.
You can have different size trains there (3 cars, 4 cars, whatever) and each Depot stop will read the type of train there and then you can set up your Supply/Request stations specify a certain train size, and LTN will send out what is necessary.
There are lots of little fiddly bits you can customize with it.

The downside is that your Depot area kind of becomes your refueling station, because LTN doesn't have a refueling thing the way TSM does!

Edit: Yes, what the poster above me said. You can send existing trains you have to any LTN Depot stop, and they will automatically become part of the LTN network.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Qubee posted:

:barf: why on earth would you do it like that.
The basic idea was putting all science on one belt and using filter inserters to sort it. I read the contents of one belt piece and had the inserters choose a color that wasn't present on the belt, but in the chests for a more even distribution. It stopped working when there was only one color left, because of my circuit logic the inserters sometimes didn't switch to the remaining color :(

Now I made it efficient and boring with bots.

It took me a shameful amount of time to figure out that everything, anything and each is really useful for logic. Now I don't need 7 decider combinators for most things related to science.

M_Gargantua posted:

Shameful presence of grass and filthy dirt though, get on paving that.

There's a mod called Dectorio which allows me to do that without everything being gray, I'll get on that in a while :)

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I keep having to completely redo my smelting and automation almost from scratch every time I tech up significantly. Is there a guide or video on how to set everything up such that it's pretty and straightforward? I'm about 13 hours in with one train and the black military lab beaker. My automation grid is a complete mess.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Nilaus does a pretty good series on YouTube for learning the basics.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

the tingler posted:

I keep having to completely redo my smelting and automation almost from scratch every time I tech up significantly. Is there a guide or video on how to set everything up such that it's pretty and straightforward? I'm about 13 hours in with one train and the black military lab beaker. My automation grid is a complete mess.

Nilaus is great, but he broke my brain and now I get upset if things aren't neat and scalable.

It sounds like you need to look into a main bus. You shouldn't need to tear down with a main bus. Just add to it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Katherine of Sky, Aavak and Quill are all good youtubes to watch.

the tingler posted:

The main thing that helps is to give yourself more space than you think you need. Makes it a lot easier to add on or snake extra belts through.

When I play, I try to never tear anything down and always add more. Inefficient lines are more productive than nothing and raw materials are essentially infinite.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
48 Stone Furnaces = 24 Steel Furances = 24 Electric Furnaces = 1 Yellow Belt of ore (half for brick)

Steel furnaces are twice as efficient both in terms of space and coal usage over stone furances, and electric furnaces sacrifice space for slightly improved efficiency and the ability to run without a coal supply.

There is very little reason to ever go back and upgrade furnace setups. Stone furnaces to steel takes a huge upfront cost in steel to save a tiny amount of coal in comparison, so there is no point in doing it until you're rolling in steel anyway, and ripping up smelting to replace with an all electric setup isn't worth it unless you really can't get coal to your base.

Here are three commonly accepted layouts for efficient ways to get a yellow belt at each of the tech levels:

The reason to consider going with two 24 column of stone furnaces rather than a single long 48 is for the ease the eventual upgrading to steel furnaces.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Started a new game, feels good to be back after I-don't-know-how-many-years since I last properly played. I forgot how difficult biters are to deal with at the start, but then I remembered to clear nests in my pollution cloud every now and then and it's given me some respite. Gotta start pumping out walls and turrets though because I hate when they break through and mess stuff up.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

The reason to consider going with two 24 column of stone furnaces rather than a single long 48 is for the ease the eventual upgrading to steel furnaces.

But if you do 48, you can upgrade it to red belts at the same time as the upgrade to steel furnaces

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you use the heathen Side Inserters you can set up your stone/steel furnace lines to have space to fit electric furnaces later without ripping up all your belts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Regarding youtube, there is also Xterminator. I like his Base Tour videos where he is showing megabases other people built.

The colors in Dectorio are really bright (and there is no white floor) so I'm not sure I'll continue painting my base.

Also, the shape of the cells is annoying in every regard and maybe wasn't the best idea. Every copypaste has to happen in chunks. Yes, I know about blueprints but it is still a pain.