Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

0 rows returned posted:

words that are normally used to describe good games

Saying a game is bad purely because it is flawed or due to a lack of personal enjoyment is lame. It's a stigma that has hung over gaming since its inception and it's a good thing to be wary of that when describing a game to someone imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Morpheus posted:

loving hate it when protagonists listen to literally anything the villain has to say.

"Oh ho but before you defeat me, wouldn't you like to know who is going to betray you?"

The correct answer should be "Why the hell would I listen to you, gently caress off."

But lazy writing often doesn't have that.

I feel like I’ve seen it work a few times but usually it’s either something the hero already suspects deep down or that the villain is the kind of character who wouldn’t lie or at the very least wouldn’t knowingly make a false statement.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

CJacobs posted:

Saying a game is bad purely because it is flawed or due to a lack of personal enjoyment is lame. It's a stigma that has hung over gaming since its inception and it's a good thing to be wary of that when describing a game to someone imo.

The exception to this is of course GTA V.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The exception to this is of course the game I don't like

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started playing Teardown which is pretty fun but they really need to add controller support. Also a better/actual tutorial.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

CJacobs posted:

i dont know about you but if i asked somebody their opinion on a game i was thinking of playing and their response was "i didnt like it" or "it was actively a slog and not enjoyable" i would follow up with asking for specifics, which usually people are willing to give

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Playing Pathologic was actively painful to me and I wasn't able to finish it, but I loved it

it's like not every movie has to be a comedy

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ruffian Price posted:

Playing Pathologic was actively painful to me and I wasn't able to finish it, but I loved it

it's like not every movie has to be a comedy

Yup, a game like Pathologic or Deadly Premonition are experiences and everyone should check them out but they're both not fun to play.

Something like one of the Dynasty Warriors games are not even good by any way of looking at it but they're fun, dumb games that give you that dopamine rush. Something being good doesn't automatically make it fun while something being bad or average can still be fun or enjoyable just because it hits you in the right way.

0 rows returned posted:

i dont know about you but if i asked somebody their opinion on a game i was thinking of playing and their response was "i didnt like it" or "it was actively a slog and not enjoyable" i would follow up with asking for specifics, which usually people are willing to give

I can without a doubt say that GTAV is a well designed game that had a lot of effort put into making it but the story is a miserable experience and I found the game world to be empty and not fun to play about in which is a massive loving failure of an open-world game. It's a better designed game than Sleeping Dogs for example but Sleeping Dogs is a far more enjoyable and entertaining game in the same genre.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any pork bun game is inherently superior to any non pork bun game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Somebody list all the games that feature pork buns for me please, we need to assess this statement

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somebody list all the games that feature pork buns for me please, we need to assess this statement

Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2
Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I played Human Revolution to sort of get an in-advance prep for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and hoo boy was that the wrong and a half reason to play it . Not only is everything different, UI-wise, it's different in such a way that is pissing me the hell off on its own.

It just feels like practically everything I'm doing is something entirely different (and thus, untrained to the player), leading to a lot of going on youtube to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do next.

And they still haven't figured out the "keep things dark and use a light to guide the player's eye to were they should go" idiom.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Nov 4, 2020

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been playing this Skyrim total conversion mod called Enderal and it's pretty interesting so far, but the gameplay is still just Skyrim which wasn't great 9 years ago.

It's like Skyrim took a single semester abroad and started speaking with an affected Piranha Bytes accent

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Invisible War stands as one of those games that will never be vindicated since looking back it's still boring and broken. Human Revolution, despite it's laundry-list of niggles like the crummy ending and the XP system that only heavily favour stealth, stands up as a worthy game that doesnt leave PC or console out in the cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZyXnmsiA4

Invisible War was a ton of fun and I like it a lot despite its numerous flaws and hilariously obvious bugs. I know it would never happen but I would be thrilled with a modern remake that fixed the issues and added a few areas and stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gort posted:

Yeah, agreed. There were other things like how the levels were tiny boxes due to console memory limitations which the original Deus Ex didn't have to worry about, and the universal ammo system which meant that firing your rocket launcher ate all your pistol ammo.
Universal ammo was great. No more finding a million different ammo types that you can't use while running out of the ones you need because now every ammo pickup is the right kind. It was an excellent change and they should have stuck with it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Invisible War stands as one of those games that will never be vindicated since looking back it's still boring and broken. Human Revolution, despite it's laundry-list of niggles like the crummy ending and the XP system that only heavily favour stealth, stands up as a worthy game that doesnt leave PC or console out in the cold.
Invisible War, aside from the frequent loading screens, is a far better game than Human Revolution. HR is a game that constantly encourages you to do boring, pointless busy-work (like hacking every computer you find to make sure you get all the xp you need to unlock the fun abilities) and makes the coolest options the least practical (like all the big guns that, along with their ammo, take up way too much space to actually be usable, or the grenades that are so rare that you'll always feel like using one is a waste). HR is fun and I have finished it twice, but IW is way better.

Testekill posted:

Yup, a game like Pathologic or Deadly Premonition are experiences and everyone should check them out but they're both not fun to play.

Something like one of the Dynasty Warriors games are not even good by any way of looking at it but they're fun, dumb games that give you that dopamine rush. Something being good doesn't automatically make it fun while something being bad or average can still be fun or enjoyable just because it hits you in the right way.

I can without a doubt say that GTAV is a well designed game that had a lot of effort put into making it but the story is a miserable experience and I found the game world to be empty and not fun to play about in which is a massive loving failure of an open-world game. It's a better designed game than Sleeping Dogs for example but Sleeping Dogs is a far more enjoyable and entertaining game in the same genre.
OK, your first paragraph makes some sense since it's possible for a game, like any piece of media, to be good for reasons other than being fun. But totally excluding fun from any measure of whether a game is good or not is utterly insane. A fun game is a good game because that's what it's trying to be and what people want from it. And your last point, that somehow "a massive loving failure of an open-world game" that's "a miserable experience" and "not fun to play" is somehow better-designed than "a far more enjoyable and entertaining game in the same genre" is just complete nonsense. Literal nonsense. What you're saying doesn't make sense.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sleeping Dogs. There needs to be a team up between Pork Bun Guy and Merchant from Resident Evil 4.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Testekill posted:

If GTAV was well designed it would be fun and wouldn't actively have a dozen odd mechanics that make every little individual parcel of fun significantly less fun while you're attempting to play it. It's certainly a large budget game that shows off how expensive it was like any big budget production in any medium, but that does not inherently mean it is well designed.

GTAV is a game that sells its self on its big expensive budget and marketing, but the mechanics are really kind of lovely once you get into the game. We could say it was for the sake of realism or whatever else but that doesn't really excuse, for example, the fact that the on foot controls handle like an inflatable bozo the clown mounted on a segway and things as basic as trying to navigate the world can be hilariously frustrating when your character will bumble and stumble into everything instead of interacting with it as they're supposed to leading to overly long animations of them flailing about. Or how easy it is to accidentally punch people or vehicles instead of interacting with them in other ways because every command is bound up in the same small number of context sensitive actions, something that had been parodied to hell and back by Saints Row 3 and yet developers keep doing it and it sucks.

But driving doesn't feel especially good either, your vehicles manage to feel simultaneously too heavy and too loose, it's like you're piloting baron god drat harkonnen around; traction doesn't mean poo poo have fun sliding and flipping like a plastic bag in the breeze over the most mild of things. Not to mention the spectacular inconsistency in what does and does not break so tiny foot-high barricades and spindly little trees become the most dangerous obstacles in the game, able to thwart even the deadliest of tanks. But to compound that, they still haven't figured out a way to make the cops in the game not suck.

In fact, the AI is generally just garbage - but the police in general are especially bad about this because all of the budget went into making the world so big and expansive and none of it went in to making sure their AI could actually navigate it so you routinely wind up with car pileups that just kind of occur, and since the cops can't navigate streets and highways worth a drat without crashing into one another they'll just teleport ten feet in front of you with a full roadblock. And this poo poo doesn't just happen if you get buck wild and max out your stars, it'll happen if you accidentally punch an old lady trying to get into your own car. And, similarly, they didn't design the combat AI for poo poo so every cop in the game is just an aimbot. Driving a bulletproof car with only one tiny window hole for exposure? No problem, every cop in the country can MLG pro-scope through it from half the city away with their handguns, flawlessly. It turns the NPC enemies into the weirdest thing where in the vast majority of situations they're beyond incompetent because they can't stop three stooging over one another to actually function, but give them three seconds to realize they have programming and they'll flip out and headshot you from across the county.

Furthermore the game uses a hilariously outdated and archaic mission checkpoint system that frequently forces you to repeat massive chunks of the game for minute failure that frequently isn't even your fault - such as the game spawning your car upside down causing it to explode - and has several missions with just beyond awful objectives like running through the desert for half an hour.

And that's just poo poo off the top of my head, without getting into GTAOnline's issues and the bullshit Rockstar as a company do that impacted this game

CJacobs posted:

Am I allowed to say GTAV is a bad game yet?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What metrics make a game 'bad' if not 'I didn't like it'? Like sure it's subjective, but so are value judgements like 'good' and 'bad'.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Godzilla Unleashed is a shallow, counterintuitive game that I like anyway because its a bunch of dumb fun.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think the problem people have is that they cannot accept that a game they like is bad and that it doesn't invalidate them liking it. For example Hellpoint is a janky, buggy, messy game of a soulslike, but because the exploration is suprisingly well put together I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Or hey, i recently went back to try playing and finishing hover and its not a great game but the movement has been fun enough that i don't mind.

Just like what you like and be aware of its flaws.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Man the ending of mirror's edge catalyst is awful

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know I'm way late on this but I just now got a Switch so I could play Fortnite with my nephews and I also picked up Breath of the Wild.

The durability mechanic really sucks. Do you at any point get a weapon that lasts for more than 2 fights? I ended up breaking like 4 weapons fighting the Lynel to get some shock arrows. You don't get excited to pick up any new weapon because as cool as it seems it's going to break in 30 seconds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yes you get more durable weapons later, but they're all disposable. Weapons are as much a part of living off the land as everything else in the game. You're also not supposed to fight that lynel, but no one, myself included, picked up on that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well there's one sword that's reusable. But it's got its own mechanics going on

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

ilmucche posted:

Man the ending of mirror's edge catalyst is awful

All of Mirrors Edge’s story is bad. Wasn’t the big reveal for the first game that the cops were making like, parkour cops and that was really bad or something?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I know I'm way late on this but I just now got a Switch so I could play Fortnite with my nephews and I also picked up Breath of the Wild.

The durability mechanic really sucks. Do you at any point get a weapon that lasts for more than 2 fights? I ended up breaking like 4 weapons fighting the Lynel to get some shock arrows. You don't get excited to pick up any new weapon because as cool as it seems it's going to break in 30 seconds.

One of my biggest steps in learning to like that game was to start thinking of weapons more like ammunition. I still don't love the durability aspect, but it's playable.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

One of my biggest steps in learning to like that game was to start thinking of weapons more like ammunition. I still don't love the durability aspect, but it's playable.

That really highlights how dumb they are as loot in a Zelda game, though. If I completed a dungeon and opened the big chest at the end and got a bunch of bullets, I'd be like uhh wtf

Also typically when you empty your gun in a game, you don't have to pause the game, open a menu, and select the next magazine of ammo you want to load.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

moosecow333 posted:

All of Mirrors Edge’s story is bad. Wasn’t the big reveal for the first game that the cops were making like, parkour cops and that was really bad or something?

Nah, those are just an ancillary plot point in an otherwise limp murder mystery/frame job plot that pretty much boils down to "the bad guys did it".

The first game's problem is that they neither stripped down the story to absolute barest basics in service of the gameplay nor did they take any risks whatsoever in fleshing things out. So runners exist in service of a nebulous fight for a nondescript freedom, contrary to the game's equally vaguely fascist antagonists, 90% of which happens just off-screen.

I genuinely have no memory of what the plot of Catalyst actually is, and I say that having otherwise liked it better than the first game by a fair margin. (And despite it also feeling unfinished.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Triarii posted:

That really highlights how dumb they are as loot in a Zelda game, though. If I completed a dungeon and opened the big chest at the end and got a bunch of bullets, I'd be like uhh wtf

Also typically when you empty your gun in a game, you don't have to pause the game, open a menu, and select the next magazine of ammo you want to load.

You can select your weapons with uh the d pad I think

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of Breath of the Wild, a little thing dragging it down is how subtle the rain effect is unless it's a thunderstorm.

I can't remember how many times I was climbing a mountain and started slipping despite it looking like a sunny day. Oh upon closer inspection the flatter surfaces are shimmering a tiny bit, guess I should have seen that.

Matter of fact, Im kind of annoyed how weak weather effects are in games in general. Have you ever walked outside in a storm? It's intense. In pretty much every game it's just small specks on the screen and it usually doesn't even get dark. Most times the sun is still shining.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

John Murdoch posted:

I genuinely have no memory of what the plot of Catalyst actually is, and I say that having otherwise liked it better than the first game by a fair margin. (And despite it also feeling unfinished.)

The bad guys are trying to deploy a new technology that will literally let them mind control the population to Buy More Product, which felt a bit over the top. But given the opportunity it's also something literally every corporation would do so.

The personal side of the plot - including the end! - fared a little bit better, IMHO. Turns out Evil Steve Jobs adopted Faith's presumed dead sister and she bought into his corporate fascism, but when she has the opportunity she murders the gently caress out of him and takes control of the company. That being said, the entire story is a little hard to believe because she was apparently well known as the adopted daughter of the tech/security magnate of the City but somehow Faith had never even, like, seen a picture of her on a screen somewhere? I don't know why I'm spoiling all that, don't play Catalyst for the plotline lol.

The explanation of why faith got her arm tattoo was pointless, stupid, and nonsensical.

The actual thing dragging the game down were the horrible loving load times. I love to fail a 30 second trial only to have to experience a 10 second load time.

Boxman has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Nov 5, 2020

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Things that stand out as kind of sucking on Forza 7 within half an hour of playing it.

- Racing games like Forza really don't need to be any more complicated than Gran Turismo was 23 years ago. There are cars and events, you buy car, you win events, you get money, you get faster cars and so on and on. Don't give me an unskippable cutscene in a loving driving game harping on about how the Forza drivers cup will give me driving immortality if I'm a cool enough driver and dump me in a race on a track and car I don't know.
- I can't use buttons on the keyboard along with my wheel, the game will only accept inputs from one or the other and I can't think of another game off the top of my head that won't let me do this very very simple thing.
- You can have ABS and Traction Control On or Off. Doesn't matter what car you're in. Surely the presence or absence of driving aids are a major factor in a car's performance and characteristics? I've played racing games before where you can tell the game that you want TCS/ABS if the car has it irl, seems like a pretty basic feature.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boxman posted:

The explanation of why faith got her arm tattoo was pointless, stupid, and nonsensical.

She cleared a lot of secret mission objectives, right?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Huh, I restarted the first race in Forza 7 and it makes you watch the dumb unskippable cutscene again. How does this happen in 2017.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of Breath of the Wild, a little thing dragging it down is how subtle the rain effect is unless it's a thunderstorm.

I can't remember how many times I was climbing a mountain and started slipping despite it looking like a sunny day. Oh upon closer inspection the flatter surfaces are shimmering a tiny bit, guess I should have seen that.

Matter of fact, Im kind of annoyed how weak weather effects are in games in general. Have you ever walked outside in a storm? It's intense. In pretty much every game it's just small specks on the screen and it usually doesn't even get dark. Most times the sun is still shining.

Good rain seems pretty rare in video games, but at least there's decent snow effects sometimes.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
That new game Teardown has really good rain and weather effects, specifically the lightning strikes are phenomenal and literally awesome.

Thing draging games down: nobody has recorded new lightning strike/thunder foley sounds for 30 years and all games use the same ones

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress you I never noticed and now it's gonna be the only thing I notice.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress you I never noticed and now it's gonna be the only thing I notice.

Thats like when my cousin pointed out that in the NES Mario the clouds and bushes are the same sprite, just different colors.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm sure a million people have complained about it already, but wasps are really lame in Animal Crossing.

Also just let me access my materials when I'm crafting in my house, and let me craft more than one thing at once, and let me craft something without having to craft its components first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Triarii posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You can select your weapons with uh the d pad I think

Yeah, the game's not useful about informing you, but there's good contextual quick weapon swapping for both melee and bow & arrow once you get used to it. And to reiterate, I don't love the durability mechanic, it's more that mindset making it playable enough to enjoy a lot of the game compared to the "I might break this weapon, I'll just run away from all combat" mindset I struggled with in my first playthroughs.