Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They do air near misses though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LETS GO BIG SHOTTY LEE

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

big johnson

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lee Johnson showing that break dancing isn't easy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you can't say "motherfucker" on youtube

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Alaois posted:

Is that what he said? That would be preferable to what I assume he said.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Alaois posted:

don't worry, nobody's listening anyway

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

Is that what he said? That would be preferable to what I assume he said.

he pretty clearly said "I'm not like these other motherfuckers here"

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

are punches legal or not?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I love that Lee does the fingergun like Kenny does when he's going for a V-Trigger.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

POUNCE TRIGGER

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

pounce knee is swank

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

oh but seriously I posted:

are punches legal or not?

"no"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.amazon.com/Folat-65141-Colourful-Serpentine-Streamer/dp/B07HLXD9WZ

think it might be these. 9 dollars :chanpop:

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I really appreciate what Dark has turned into. It's such a cozy, chill watch. Very relaxing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Darkthoughts

Trying to drown out the world. Time for wrestling.

Anthony Ogogo back on commentary. I do enjoy his cadence.

1) Bshp King vs Darby Allin. Darby going for a David vs Goliath match. King plays his role well. King has skills, but I think he would need some seasoning before being ready for prime time. Okay match, but not notable.

2) Leyla Hirsch and Elayna Black vs Brandi Rhodes and Red Velvet. Interesting that this must have been recorded before the Hirsch / Deeb match. Red Velvet has some really solid confidence here, which I like. Elayna Black's elevated corner knee strike is a very decent move. Hirsch has such great strikes. This is a pretty good short tag match. Red Velvet held her own for her team and Brandi didn’t look bad coming in as the superstar at the end. Good match, kind of wanted Red Velvet to get the pin.

3) Jurassic Express vs Danny Limelight and KC Navarro. Continue to be a big Danny Limelight fan. KC Navarro has a good pretty-boy look. Limelight and Jungle Boy have good chemistry, wouldn't mind seeing the two of them go one on one. Navarro is a pretty good comedy bumper. The match is a bit scrappy. Love the Jurassic Express delayed senton. Okay match, want to see more of Danny Limelight

4) Frankie Kazarian vs Ryzin. Ryzin always strikes me as a guy who is very much there to enhance rather than there as a prospect. He's good, but he's trying to make other people look good. Excalibur and Taz cracking themselves up with the Terra Ryzin joke was fun. Frankie Kazarian remains one of the secret weapons of AEW. Deeply skillful, can have a good match with anyone.

Kaz interview post-match. And we get TH2 out to beat him up. Nice little story being built here. I dig it.

5) Dave Dutra vs Ricky Starks. I'm pretty sure I fought this guy in Skyrim a couple of times. Starks continues to look great. Ricky flirting with MJF's former campaign manager was fun. Dutra clearly has some skills but isn't given a chance to show them. Smooth, easy win from Starks.

6) Sean Maluta and Alex Chamberlain versus Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman. Chamberlain is really staggeringly generic. Garrison as always is a good athletic 80s style big guy. I'd put him above Pillman, who is certainly not bad but feels like he has a ceiling. While he's the smallest guy in the match, I'm impressed by Maluta's strikes here, but he needs to string things together more smoothly. The spot where Pillman ducks out of the corner and Maluta lands with nobody home and looks from side to side while cursing was fun.

No time to celebrate for Garrison and Pillman as Archer comes out to murder everyone. And we get to hear how horny Jake Roberts is for Lance Archer. Love them keeping the heat on Eddie Kingston vs Archer like this. Is this the first Dylan Thomas promo in AEW?

7) Aaron Solow and Angel Fashion vs The Acclaim. Very fond of Fashion and Solow's look as a team. OK, they fixed the Caster bit and gave him a beat. Suddenly it works. I'm presuming Caster and Bowens are a heel team, and they're really good fun to watch. Caster is no slouch, and Bowens is just simply good at everything. As an absolute sidebar I'm absolutely down with AEW having more prominent LGBT talent like Bowens. Fashion carries the brunt of this from his side and does a decent job, but I still want to see more of Solow. His hot tag towards the end was really good, lots of passion. The Cazadora Cutter from The Acclaim was great.

8) Alan Angels vs VSK. Hopefully we see more of VSK here. Love that 5 gets the full entourage treatment. Nice chain sequence between 5 and VSK at the start. I continue to love how explosive Alan Angels is for someone of smaller frame. I think he and Darby Allin could probably have a superb match. Really pretty snug uppercut from 5. The Uranage type move on the apron looked really good too. Enjoyable match.

Is Peter Avalon doing a The Continental gimmick? Love it. I love that the fake champagne is always, always water. This was fun.

9) Butcher and the Blade versus Jersey Muscle. Oh hey, do you know what happens to muscle if a butcher cuts it with a blade? Butcher and Blade do the needful and just obliterate their opponents. I like the sight of heel Allie in fell effect again. She's got the stylings of it now much better than she did before. This is rightfully over pretty quickly. Jersey Muscle are cooked.

Natural Nightmares out to continue their feud. Cool.

10) D3 vs Will Hobbs. D3 in his Rome hat, continuing to look like a guy selling MDMA from his Vespa. Hobbs looking great as usual. The running corner slams are superb. Not so much a match as a mugging, but a lot of fun.

I have to say, I'm really not that interested in the Allin & Hobbs vs Cage and Starks match. They keep pushing it in the exact same way week after week.

11) Baron Black and Nick Comoroto vs Uno and Grayson. Nick Comoroto is definitely from an Asterix cartoon. Very good fun competitor. Favourite thing about Uno and Grayson coming out with the full Dark Order is Anna Jay giving Stu the side-eye. I like Comoroto reaching out to try and swipe Grayson almost casually like a cat. Grayson's delayed senton on the ropes is just ridiculous. Baron Black is pretty good, but the standout on the enhancement side is still Comoroto, who has distinct skills and a look that just draws the eye. I liked the image of Comoroto and Black setting up double teams but not having the cohesion to land them just yet. Enjoyed this match.

12) The Captain Shawn Dean, Cesar Bononi, and Fuego Del Sol versus 3, 10, and Colt Cabana. I see we have the tag randomiser on today. I want a Silver / Bononi singles match. Muscle baby with the taunts early. Love it. Fuego goes again for the Tornado DDT and misses. Cody will be mad. Shawn Dean is really impressive. Now that 10 has found his feet, he's a pretty decent power guy, but all eyes were on Silver in this match.

13) Lei'd Tapa vs KiLynn King. Tapa has a good intimidating ring presence. Every week King looks better in the ring. This is a dynamic power match from the start. Tapa needs to tighten up a bit but she and King are both throwing bombs with their strikes. The match lacks a little direction. Good looking frog splash gets King her first win. Nice to see some people graduate with their first wins tonight.

14) Chaos Project vs Private Party. Snakem'n and Pointm'n out in coordinated gear. Kassidy was the weak link in Private Party before now, but he's smooth and skilled here. As always, Luther benefits from being in a tag, and Serpentico is a really fun veteran. Absolutely loved Serpentico's weaponised streamers. This is a surprisingly competitive match, lots of fun back and forth action. Quen's hot tag is great too.

15) Sammy Guevara vs Lee Johnson. Been looking forward to this one. Johnson had a great match when they let him shine against Ben Carter. Hopefully we'll see more of that here. Quick scrabbling chain wrestling to start. Lots of very even dynamic stuff. And some rather bad breakdancing. Sammy plays bully here well, and Lee has changed up his lionheart routine to be a bit more hard hitting. His discus clothesline looks great and some of the forearm strikes he was throwing were really brutal. And his corkscrew tope was awesome. I love the story that it's not Johnson's skills letting him down but his timing. Sammy needs to use that pounce trigger more. Ending is a fun "gently caress you" to Matt Hardy. Great, great match.

A long show, and one I couldn't fully engage with, but there were some really exceptional matches on here.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought it was okay

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I was a bit surprised Bowers and Caster worked as heels; they seem more face-ish to me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bowens is a total face just via his personality, it feels weird having him work heel. Also he has some superhero rear end theme music

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

DeathChicken posted:

Bowens is a total face just via his personality, it feels weird having him work heel. Also he has some superhero rear end theme music

Max Caster on the other hand looks like a natural as a heel (though from the Spears promo, he could go back and forth easily)

I thought they were a fun team that seem to cover each other's weaknesses.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Really happy that Elayna Black got some actual work in this time, but oh god she needs someone better than Brandi to work with, there was some real slop there.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I like Brandi well enough but I really struggle caring about her ringwork. I feel bad about it but it's just not great to watch.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

She's just so inconsistent, she's never brilliant but she's capable of decent, smooth matches one week and then the next she's sloppy and disconnected. She's got a great spear and a decent pump kick except when she doesn't. Her character is also maddeningly inconsistent. It's frustrating.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rantmo posted:

Her character is also maddeningly inconsistent.

This is the worst part for me. I could forgive the inconsistent ring work, but she has terrible booking/character development instincts and it kills my interest in whatever she's involved in.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

PWInsider published the transcript of their TK interview, relevant portion re:Leyla Hirsch:

“ Tony Khan: I really like Leyla. I think there's a good chance Leyla could be here with us. I can't comment until she and I have worked it out but I'd really like Leyla to come back. She and I talked after the show and she loves being in AEW and I expect there's a good chance she'll stay with us. I'm sure Leyla will have offers but I think she's got a good offer here and I think there's a good chance she's goning to be staying with us based on our last conversation.”

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The main things I remember from Dark are:

-The women's tag featured three fun, talented wrestlers I'd love to watch regularly and Brandi Rhodes
-Leyla's in-ring mannerisms are so good, she's a ready-made top-of-the-card addition to the women's division
-Luchasaurus did a cool move where he flipped his opponent and hit a knee strike on the landing, he should do that more
-D3 is my favorite job guy of all time, his whole deal sucks so much that it rules
-Sammy's a legit great wrestler and he's been out of the ring long enough for me to forget that (not complaining, it's cool that AEW can sideline people to an extent and keep em feeling fresh but not lost)
-Lee Johnson is a great wrestling prospect, and I'm starting to get curious about what he's like charisma/personality-wise. I could see them intentionally sticking him with a generic babyface persona for now as sort of their version of a Young Lion, letting him debut under a legit gimmick when he's ready for primetime. Maybe he's just kind of a generic guy though, who knows

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I wish KiLynn King had a different finisher, Frog Splash feels like kind of a nothing move to me at this point, especially if you don't get the crazy air some people do.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wezlar posted:

I wish KiLynn King had a different finisher, Frog Splash feels like kind of a nothing move to me at this point, especially if you don't get the crazy air some people do.

She should just do a big boot. She can pull it off. Call it the King's Gambit.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 4, 2020

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

In fairness, it's only her first win. I agree that the Frog Splash isn't an amazing finisher but I'm holding out hope that she'll get something more hoss-y.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tombstone tombstone tombstone

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

with her height and strength, you could give King a power move as a finisher for smaller opponents and then a strike for bigger ones.

EDIT: according to a bio on another company she works for, she has the shining wizard and the powerbomb as finishers. That would work if she does them well enough.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 4, 2020

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Looks like she's got two matches on IWTV, I'll have to see if she wins either of them, and if so, what her finisher is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wezlar posted:

I think someone else uses the Frog Splash too. That's the one real big problem with AEW; like on Dark, it felt like several matches ended on some sort of cutter finish. Or if not ended, people used similar moves. I know Jurassic Express has that assisted cutter, and the Bowes and Caster did a similar move for their finish.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hobbs used a frog splash on last week's match against Comorato iirc.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I bet they’ll have her win a few different ways, similar to how Abadon rotated finishers last time she had a couple matches in a row.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hobbs used a frog splash on last week's match against Comorato iirc.

I buy a frog splash from Hobbs because dude is a loving unit.

Lamuella posted:

with her height and strength, you could give King a power move as a finisher for smaller opponents and then a strike for bigger ones.

EDIT: according to a bio on another company she works for, she has the shining wizard and the powerbomb as finishers. That would work if she does them well enough.

Yeah those both sound good. I could see Shining Wizard maybe being too close to Shidas finisher for them to want her to use it though?

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 4, 2020

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well King's two matches on IWTV were both against Kaci Lennox, a comparably built opponent, and both were losses so no fisher to speak of. It sounds like she's got a running drop kick called the Crazy Train but she didn't land it. She had a pretty decent Flatliner and Side Slam and a promising Spinebuster that isn't quite ready for primetime yet but could probably get there with AEW's team. I feel like she could go either way with a finisher, strikes or slams, she's got the goods for both.

She also used to come to the ring with, and sometimes use as a weapon, a stuffed rabbit named Roger and holy poo poo am I glad that's not a thing anymore.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I demand tiny coffins for all

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

rantmo posted:

Well King's two matches on IWTV were both against Kaci Lennox, a comparably built opponent, and both were losses so no fisher to speak of. It sounds like she's got a running drop kick called the Crazy Train but she didn't land it. She had a pretty decent Flatliner and Side Slam and a promising Spinebuster that isn't quite ready for primetime yet but could probably get there with AEW's team. I feel like she could go either way with a finisher, strikes or slams, she's got the goods for both.

She also used to come to the ring with, and sometimes use as a weapon, a stuffed rabbit named Roger and holy poo poo am I glad that's not a thing anymore.

I think she’s moved on from the “Queen of Crazy” gimmick to “The King” which is probably the right move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah it seems like she's moving that way which I am hype for. I'm hoping that when she gets her proper start on Dynamite she'll go 100% that way with a new tron and theme to match.