Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there anyone here that isn't absolutely certain those would get 10k easily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sloppy posted:

Because they were poo poo quality and were blatantly ripping off the greatest toy of all time. Are you seriously defending them? lol

Edit: when I pick mega blocks out of Lego piles I feel guilty donating them to thrift stores because some grandma is going to give a kid a real bad day so often just trash them

I mean, if we wanna go down this rabbithole and talk about knockoff bricks, we should look back to Kiddicraft:

Hell, Ole Christiansen even stole Duplo blocks from Hillary Fisher Page 10 years after they were released

Basically, after their wood shop burned down for the second time, Lego got a molding machine and was given some samples and blueprints of automatic binding bricks from the supplier, and started cranking out their own exact knockoffs before differentiating and adding the bottom tube a few years later.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

LEGO = Nintendo
Mega Bloks = Sega

What about N&B Blocks?

Please don’t get me wrong on all this, I love Lego, and the improvements and consistency in quality as well as minifigs and designs are incredible. I’m just saying that when people complain about knockoffs now, there’s a really interesting and complicated history there that most people are generally unaware of.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Here we go, the third and (currently) final Western building! It's a trading post!

Like the others, this one is highly modular. The roof comes off, the second floor comes off, and the back walls slide easily out of place.

Details!

There are two neat features here, too. First, that barn-looking door on the first floor is a functional sliding door that opens to the storage room.

Second, the windmill has some functions! It can rotate freely, the vane can turn 90 degrees to act as a brake, and there's a cam so that when the blades spin, it simulates pumping water at the base.

Just quoting for the new page.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah because I'm a pessimist and believe ideas is rigged to require some kind of marketing vote blitz.

But I don't really have much of a feel for the "lego community" either, like if it hit one of the big lego blogs how many votes does that translate to? And do they scour ideas for undiscovered gems or do creators have to email them? :iiam:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
PSA: The VW Bug went into "expiring soon" status on the German Lego website today. This is probably similar for the rest for Europe. If you are on the fence, decide now before it is sold out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Did you end up setting those up with anything?

Just rearranged my office and I’m looking to build some hanging railways along the ceiling with them! Going to set up a depot building on top of the shelf, and do some other stuff soon as I figure out the best way to mount them to the wall.

Feenix posted:

Speaking of modulars... I have like 4.

In a move that shocked everyone, my wife suggested we bring them into the social/public rooms and “Christmas-ize “ them.

Other than conical pine trees, does anyone have suggestions (or links/resources) on how I might go about that?

Snow build up? (White obvs)

Mini fig Santa

Tiny decorations.

Etc?

I’m planning on setting up my Lego trains around the tree this year and doing the same thing! I’ve been using LGB G-Scale trains in the past, but I’m excited to make a little Christmas town with the buildings :3:

The eventual goal is to build a ski lift up to the shelves

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

My complaint about many knockoffs that want to be model-primary (mega philosophy aligned) is that they build a nice model and don’t build something else interesting, because they were designed to the model so their individual brick fit/tolerance/scaling is off in some dimension when joined with another set. They interlock, but maybe they don’t line up when one piece is vertical next to a stack of other bricks. Then they make a model that is way less nice than a random Japanese mecha that you bond together. Being a “better” model than lego is like, the buried in the ground bar! Congratulations you got over it, and now you’re standing in the middle of a fiercely contested high speed train race track, just as some pedestrian yells out excitedly “multi-track drifting!”. The number of genuinely nice model kits vastly dwarfs the brickset space. If you exit the “interoperable set of blocks” play space you aren’t doing yourself any favors.

What makes lego compelling (to me) is the geometry genuinely working on a random handful/bucket of bricks in a way that lets you build a form, and then the various textures that can be essentially kitbashed onto it without having to kitbash. Especially with the structural elements added by technic letting you build a lot of interesting hollow forms, lego (to me) does the best job of being a creative play system short of learning machining.

I will say the alien linked earlier is genuinely gorgeous though. So I totally get why people who are more about model than system like that philosophy. I just feel if I want really nice models I can eject from the land of tiny bricks entirely and get much nicer models.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Brawnfire posted:

go gently caress yourself because seriously

Literally A Person posted:

it hurts me inside

Scipiotik posted:

makes me ill

Aw, you guys are so sweet. :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Carbohydrates posted:

Here we go, the third and (currently) final Western building! It's a trading post!

You going to explain what the two ne'er do wells are up to?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Davros1 posted:

That crate has some TNT and a detonator in it! It's where the bank robbers got their TNT. Also, 2/3 of the family that lives upstairs can be spotted on the bank's porch!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

No good!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Carbohydrates, your furniture and accessories are again mind-blowingly good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is the dude in all black a Westworld reference?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

sigher posted:

Is the dude in all black a Westworld reference?

Is the man in black from WestWorld just basically a “black hat general western reference?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I really dig that mussed bed. A little touch, but a great one.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Someone has to voice their appreciation for that unmade bed and its askew pillow. Detail like that is amazing

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Zefiel posted:

Someone has to voice their appreciation for that unmade bed and its askew pillow. Detail like that is amazing
I got the idea from the Stranger Things set, which also had a messy bed. The headboard and footboard on mine are made of human legs! Hooray!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd like to think the western sets would make 10k votes, but it seems so weird how any of that Ideas stuff works now days. I think a few years ago it would be no question 10k votes. Now it would be a little more questionable as it seems the ones that make it are all associated with some movie/TV/car culture. Part of me wonders if it's Lego trying to get new demographics to buying Lego, but I wouldn't think that'd be a good path forward. For non-ideas sets the people that I know who like Mustangs bought one set, the Mustang and still haven't put it together because they like Mustangs, not Lego.

Those are just my observations and thoughts. Personally, I desperately want to make those western sets and display them in my house. I would try to get as many votes for them as I could.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Let me rephrase: has anyone seen an ideas submission of that quality that didn't get 10k votes?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

Let me rephrase: has anyone seen an ideas submission of that quality that didn't get 10k votes?

I won't identify a specific one, but I'll give you this: https://ideas.lego.com/search/global_search/ideas?idea_phase=idea_gathering_support&query=&sort=most_supported.

There are a lot on that list that will not make 10k in the time needed with similar quality of build. A lot of this is about going viral and keeping the momentum. If you run out of gas at 8k and can't get those last couple thousand votes then you're outta luck.

Me pointing this stuff out doesn't mean Carbohydrates shouldn't put their hat in the ring. They absolutely should. I'd love for them to win.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Earth posted:

Me pointing this stuff out doesn't mean Carbohydrates shouldn't put their hat in the ring. They absolutely should. I'd love for them to win.

Same... each set they post ups the ante in such new and delightful ways, with such incredible attention paid to storytelling, playability, and functional moving parts. Everything the judges talk about wanting to see in Lego Masters is so wonderfully on display... from the bank robbers to Uncle from red dead taking a nap while patching the roof. And the colors? Those azure blue tiles in the last set... I thought Sand Green was my favorite lego brick, but I stand corrected.

Thanks for sharing all the amazing stuff you create Carbs!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
There's no negative to submitting it. Worst case it's a bunch of exposure for his designs and rebrickable store.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earth posted:

I won't identify a specific one, but I'll give you this: https://ideas.lego.com/search/global_search/ideas?idea_phase=idea_gathering_support&query=&sort=most_supported.

There are a lot on that list that will not make 10k in the time needed with similar quality of build. A lot of this is about going viral and keeping the momentum. If you run out of gas at 8k and can't get those last couple thousand votes then you're outta luck.

Most of those have a ton of time left. One only needs 200 or so to get there and has a lot of time to do it. And one is 24 days away and probably won't make it. And most/many of those aren't of the same caliber.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Megabloks might be decent now but they were rancid trash for untold years. I got quite a few megabloks sets from my aunt and they all degraded and warped over the years while my legos from the same time are still totally usable. Some, like the pink tube of megabloks my sister got when we were little, we're literally falling apart along with the canister they came in when we found them again, a sickly yellow and cracked all over. The tube itself disintegrated to the touch.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Captain Invictus posted:

Megabloks might be decent now but they were rancid trash for untold years. I got quite a few megabloks sets from my aunt and they all degraded and warped over the years while my legos from the same time are still totally usable. Some, like the pink tube of megabloks my sister got when we were little, we're literally falling apart along with the canister they came in when we found them again, a sickly yellow and cracked all over. The tube itself disintegrated to the touch.

I love Megaconstrux now. Its a great alternative, and cheaper, to Lego. But yeah, I'm still doubtful of how sets will hold up long term.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Captain Invictus posted:

That’s the sad truth of Mega’s history.

As far as disintegration goes, would that tube have been sitting in the sunlight or attic for a long time? UV or temperature extremes would break down most any plastic. I’ve got several mega sets from my childhood mixed in with my bulk legos that I plan on separating and donating, but apart from poor inter-system fit and stuff like antennas being broken, there are no problems with the bricks themselves.

I really want to rebuild the Mega endeavor space shuttle, but I just don’t know what to do with a 3+’ set, so it’s forever stuck sitting half built in his own box.

I was all on board with the Mega sucks mindset until I picked up one of their newer sets recently, and I’m dumbstruck by how good they’ve become. I’ve even come to really like the micro action figs, which I initially thought were awful. I’ve since gone whole hog on their blind bags. And speaking of hogs, the new Mega Warthog is a gateway build

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 4, 2020

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Second, the windmill has some functions! It can rotate freely, the vane can turn 90 degrees to act as a brake, and there's a cam so that when the blades spin, it simulates pumping water at the base.

This is all astonishing but I'm in awe of that windmill construction and the clever ways you made all of its angles! Also amazing use of color!

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

I picked up a pair of these from yourwobb https://www.yourwobb.com/products/mould-king-bricks-tool?_pos=18&_sid=2dfeb4c7f&_ss=r&variant=32635311915144 to help with pin and axle removal and highly recommend getting some if you work with a lot of Technic. The jaws grip well and are soft so no more teeth marks or plier marks on pieces, and they save my fingers.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

OSU_Matthew posted:

I really want to rebuild the Mega endeavor space shuttle, but I just don’t know what to do with a 3+’ set, so it’s forever stuck sitting half built in his own box.

Broken link for me, but that thing must be massive. I've got this Lego one:

Which I think is the largest shuttle they've done (apart from maybe the Technic one 8480) and it's a decent size model.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Literally A Person posted:

Yeah so i want to play with your cowboy town so bad it hurts me inside.
it's pretty fun tbh

Also, a cool thing I have found while getting set up on Buildamoc: they make it actually really easy to add alternate color options. So now, instead of just the Sand Green with which I initially built it, I can offer the C10 in multiple 70s-rear end colors!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Carbohydrates posted:

it's pretty fun tbh

Also, a cool thing I have found while getting set up on Buildamoc: they make it actually really easy to add alternate color options. So now, instead of just the Sand Green with which I initially built it, I can offer the C10 in multiple 70s-rear end colors!

Why... why do this to me? Just enter them already and become Lego Famous!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

PowerBeard posted:

Why... why do this to me? Just enter them already and become Lego Famous!
I am still working on the wagon. I had to adjust its play features somewhat and my work on that has been slowed by trying to get my stuff on buildamoc, too. It's coming!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next up is the adult buildings, the brothel and the gallows.

I guess the sherrif's office too if you MUST be complete.. with a jail cell where you can hitch a horse up to the window bars and pull the whole wall out for the epic escape.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

I am still working on the wagon. I had to adjust its play features somewhat and my work on that has been slowed by trying to get my stuff on buildamoc, too. It's coming!

Just submit it as it is. You can always fix the wagon later. It's not like LEGO aren't going to "somehow" improve on your designs anyway. Somehow. Maybe. Probably lower the piece count, I am guessing. "improve"

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

xzzy posted:

I guess the sherrif's office too if you MUST be complete.. with a jail cell where you can hitch a horse up to the window bars and pull the whole wall out for the epic escape.

Also fake town blazing saddles style

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Carbohydrates posted:

Lego let people buy this for like $10 back in the day:

Pretty sure you’re clearing the bar already, but looking forward to how you improve your design!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Just submit it as it is. You can always fix the wagon later. It's not like LEGO aren't going to "somehow" improve on your designs anyway. Somehow. Maybe. Probably lower the piece count, I am guessing. "improve"
Oh come on, gimme a week or two to perfect it. I don't like putting anything less than my best foot forward with anything I build. Plus, ironing out the feature I have in mind for it will present so much better on Ideas. I think if people can look at it and imagine interacting and playing with multiple different features, it will be far more emotionally compelling.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Beaten over and over but holy poo poo how are you so loving good at this

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

garfield hentai posted:

Beaten over and over but holy poo poo how are you so loving good at this
I mean, the actual answer to that question sounds silly but... I have been studying LEGO techniques for like 15 years. I've read every article on New Elementary, I check blogs like Brothers-Brick and Brickset and TLCB daily, I follow a ton of amazing and talented builders on Flickr, and before that, I checked Peeron, LUGNet, Brickshelf, MOCPages, and all the other old poo poo all the time, too. It's just a ton of learning from everyone else, seeing how other people like to build and deciding how to develop your own style from the techniques that the community learns and shares with one another. I spent a lot of time doing studies and practice builds to learn how all the pieces can fit together - those examples are from 2005 through 2009 or so. A lot of my MOCs are a blend of "how do I accomplish this?" and "this is an instance where I could use or adapt this one technique I remember!" The fancy casement windows on the bank, for instance, are an updated version of this window I made 11 years ago.

So, I mean, I dunno, when I write it all out like that, it sounds ridiculous, but the short answer is the same as learning anything else: study and practice. Create things, even if they suck at first, and you'll make better things next time.

edit: anyone reading this, you want some homework? Click through those builders on Flickr that I linked above, and spend 5 minutes per person browsing their pics right now. Hell, spend just one minute on each. You will, right this moment, learn something you didn't know you can do.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

xzzy posted:

OMG I had (have somewhere???) the western set with the "exploding" jail wall!!! Carb's bank made me super giddy since it seems like they're trying to kind of bring that back.