Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Honestly, I'm of two minds. One: yes, more democracy, of course. The other: closed primaries got us Trump, whereas the old smoke-filled room full of GOP fat cats wouldn't have selected him in a million years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Jungle primaries make a certain amount of sense in states where one party is politically dominant, giving the general run of voter more power as compared to everything being locked up by the party base long before the election. They are just asinine in even remotely competitive states tho.

they're asinine in general, just do ranked choice

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

they're asinine in general, just do ranked choice

Pretty much. This solves a huge number of electoral problems and afaict for federal congressional elections should be A) legislateable at a federal level and B) constitutionally valid without an amendment,

quote:

Article I
Section 4
Clause 1
The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sarcastro posted:

Honestly, I'm of two minds. One: yes, more democracy, of course. The other: closed primaries got us Trump, whereas the old smoke-filled room full of GOP fat cats wouldn't have selected him in a million years.
Trump was also the product of this bizarre idea that the "winner" of a state primary with 10 candidates is the guy who got 20% of the vote. Being the most noticed in the crowd after the first pass is not the same thing as majority support!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

Trump was also the product of this bizarre idea that the "winner" of a state primary with 10 candidates is the guy who got 20% of the vote. Being the most noticed in the crowd after the first pass is not the same thing as majority support!

Yeah, exactly. Producing a result so lousy that the smoke-filled room looks reasonable is really something.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

There is actually a Ranked Choice Voting Act bill (H.R. 4464) in Congress for ranked choice elections for members of Congress. It was introduced just last year. There is another version called the Fair Representation Act that at the same time establishes multiple-member districts, which comes with the drawback of the districts being larger, which means they'll be harder for candidates without large amounts of money to win. The third bill out there establishes a $40 million grant fund for states and localities transitioning to ranked choice voting. Writing to your member of Congress or any prospective challenger might help increase the chance of passage.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 30, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida has jungle primaries on the ballot and will probably pass because people are idiots and vote yes on every dumb thing. In 2018 the gubernatorial race would have been between two republicans because there was a three way split of dem votes vs a two way split in the rep primary. DeSantis and Putnam both had more votes than Gillum and would have been the only options on the general ballot under the proposed new scheme.

Well, under an open primary system, the parties and the voters are also aware of what is going on. Maybe the first election will be a fuckup (CA had some high-profile mistakes for a couple election cycles) and you could have poo poo like Maine where a strong stubborn field elects a horrid candidate with a plurality, but in states that have a history of open primaries, the candidates who are doing badly are pressured to drop out, and the voters also read stories, see what is going on, and move on to their next-best choice to prevent a sweep by the other party.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

galenanorth posted:

There is another version called the Fair Representation Act that at the same time establishes multiple-member districts, which comes with the drawback of the districts being larger, which means they'll be harder for candidates without large amounts of money to win.
Multi-member ranked choice voting is proportional representation - each candidate represents non-overlapping groups of voters. I don't see how getting a specific 20% of the vote from a 5-member district necessarily requires more money than campaigning at large.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Rigel posted:

Well, under an open primary system, the parties and the voters are also aware of what is going on. Maybe the first election will be a fuckup (CA had some high-profile mistakes for a couple election cycles) and you could have poo poo like Maine where a strong stubborn field elects a horrid candidate with a plurality, but in states that have a history of open primaries, the candidates who are doing badly are pressured to drop out, and the voters also read stories, see what is going on, and move on to their next-best choice to prevent a sweep by the other party.
This sounds a lot like having a shadow primary based on polling and a dropout-honors system before the official primary.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ShadowHawk posted:

This sounds a lot like having a shadow primary based on polling and a dropout-honors system before the official primary.

yeah, pretty much. To be clear, open primaries are stupid and should not be done because these idiotic possibilities where you have two Democrats or two Republicans in the general election are not acceptable. (Two Democrats are bad because now both are outright campaigning to conservative assholes for votes) But, in the unfortunate case where your state implements this system, it still usually sort of works out.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida has jungle primaries on the ballot and will probably pass because people are idiots and vote yes on every dumb thing. In 2018 the gubernatorial race would have been between two republicans because there was a three way split of dem votes vs a two way split in the rep primary. DeSantis and Putnam both had more votes than Gillum and would have been the only options on the general ballot under the proposed new scheme.
It doesn't help that Amendment 3 was worded so it sounded like it made primaries 'more fair' to everyone (yes I'm aware this was on purpose). I've had to explain to a number of my friends who were going to vote yes what it actually would do.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1323610831494537218

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zero_Grade posted:

It doesn't help that Amendment 3 was worded so it sounded like it made primaries 'more fair' to everyone (yes I'm aware this was on purpose). I've had to explain to a number of my friends who were going to vote yes what it actually would do.

Same thing is happening in VA with the gerrymandering amendment. It's just going to let the heavily GOP Supreme Court do redistricting itself with no oversight from voters but it is written on the ballot in a way to make it look like it'll be more bi-partisan than before.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
So who do we think Biden nominates to the newly created court spots?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Biden has to win first. Then the Dems have to win the senate. Without both things done, nothing will happen.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Dameius posted:

Biden has to win first. Then the Dems have to win the senate. Without both things done, nothing will happen.

Don't forget the third necessary thing: getting rid of the filibuster.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sarcastro posted:

Don't forget the third necessary thing: getting rid of the filibuster.

A minor speedbump if all the other conditions hold, they already did it for non-SCOTUS judges

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

haveblue posted:

A minor speedbump if all the other conditions hold, they already did it for non-SCOTUS judges

I don't mean for nominations (and the GOP did it for those already as well, hence Trump's three), I mean for the legislation needed to expand the court in the first place.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 4, 2020

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am confident that Biden is winning but the Senate isn't looking good. If they can only get to a tie or +1 then the odds of getting enough support to expand the courts are looking slim.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It was already slim even with a D+3 or D+4.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dems could have D+10 and they wouldn't pack the courts.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Senate is a gonner dudes. We still gotta deal with Turtleface for another 4 years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If I'm reading the constitution correctly, the Senate could be solicited for "advice," then you seat Breyer's replacement anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Potato Salad posted:

If I'm reading the constitution correctly, the Senate could be solicited for "advice," then you seat Breyer's replacement anyway.

advice and consent.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

advice and consent.

It's 2020, consent doesn't appear to matter to either party.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

advice and consent.
the senate cannot legally consent if they're mentally incapacitated

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ShadowHawk posted:

the senate cannot legally consent if they're mentally incapacitated

president granted conservatorship over the senate, US now a monarchy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

advice and consent.

oh, so the Senate has a constitutional duty to consent the appointment

sorry, it doesn't say anywhere that they are allowed to say no, pack it in boys

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My friend used to be an intern for Justice Thomas. They said the loving funniest thing to me:

"If Biden wins he'll just wait another 4 years until he retires to spend more time with his family, ie: the portraits of white people that came with the frames he bought. That or he is discovered to have died like years ago and no one noticed."

Thomas is like what, younger than almost all three of the current liberal judges? gently caress man.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jeeves posted:

My friend used to be an intern for Justice Thomas. They said the loving funniest thing to me:

"If Biden wins he'll just wait another 4 years until he retires to spend more time with his family, ie: the portraits of white people that came with the frames he bought. That or he is discovered to have died like years ago and no one noticed."

Thomas is like what, younger than almost all three of the current liberal judges? gently caress man.

Clarence Thomas was 43 years old when he was appointed to the Supreme Court.

If he lives to be RBG's age he could conceivably spend more than half his life on the Supreme Court.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Sits down, pours glass of booze.

OK FReep thread, hit me with the salt.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

vyelkin posted:

Clarence Thomas was 43 years old when he was appointed to the Supreme Court.

If he lives to be RBG's age he could conceivably spend more than half his life on the Supreme Court.

yeah but the sooner he retires the sooner they can appoint a 22 year old Legal Studies major with a C- GPA to replace him!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Thomas will die on the bench while reading his 10,000th dissent or concurrence about how due process integration is faulty and everything should be based upon privileges and immunities instead.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thomas will die on the bench during oral arguments and no one will notice for hours.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Stickman posted:

Thomas will die on the bench during oral arguments and no one will notice for hours.

Only if and when there is a smell.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I'm from the future and I just came back to tell you all to appreciate the time you have while there's still 3 liberal justices on the court....

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:lol::lol:

I hope you toxxed for him too.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

jeeves posted:

Senate is a gonner dudes. We still gotta deal with Turtleface for another 4 years.

It's looking more and more possible, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

It's looking more and more possible, actually.

It's still a bit of a long shot, presumably both georgia senate races will enter into a runoff election which without Trump as President could affect Republican turnout and could affect Democratic turnout which might bring Dems to 50.

Then there's North Carolina which has 5% of the vote remaining presumably from Democratic leaning mail-in and provisional ballots but will take until the 12th or so.

For conclusive control of the chamber Dem's need all 3. It's not a complete goner yet but its also a large uphill climb and hopefully every effort is made to win it.