Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Hempuli posted:

I'm intending to balance the loadouts a bit this week, actually! I'm glad to hear people are still using them. :)

(Also just today I made Oil Blood give you fire immunity; making the weaker perks more useful is on the list.)

Oh man that's seriously awesome. I love the random theme starts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This games hard :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mods disable achievements. I don’t think this should be the case. Also needs more achievements. A lot more. For all the cool hidden things.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

feels like a lot of the hidden junk is so well outside of the core loop that its not really feasible to go for it. Its just kinda out there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

This games hard :(

Noob player here, I agree. In fact I'm going to play on 'Easy' (aka using a pair of mods to decrease the difficulty) for now, I will turn them off once I am able to beat the game at least once.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zesty posted:

Mods disable achievements. I don’t think this should be the case. Also needs more achievements. A lot more. For all the cool hidden things.

Have you checked out the top of the big tree since 1.0? The game is tracking a lot of those things!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zesty posted:

this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
For purposes of putting together a reliable murderwand, there is only a small selection of spells you’re really looking for, and all but one of them are modifiers: damage plus, crit plus, heavy shot, increase mana, reduce recharge, and chainsaw. Also triple/quad spell of course, but those are everywhere. The modifiers (and a wand with the capacity, mana, and low enough recharge to take advantage of them) are what you’re really looking for. You generally don’t find them until midgame at best, but they are the real reason you want to risk exploring at least some of the fungal caverns.

Here’s a protip that I myself know but never heed and always die as a result: don’t use any kind of fire spell if you don’t have fire immunity, period. Especially not fire-based modifiers.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'll use a both fire trails in the snowy depths every time I find one. The hiisi are really slow at dousing themselves and you can find snow melting everywhere. They also stop doing anything threatening while on fire.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Faster wands seems like a real good perk. It turned a lot of spells that I saw as short range and shot them across the screen.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What’s the preferred strat for breaking into the parallel worlds? Do you basically need to somehow have 1000+ HP or a means of on-demand healing to survive the cursed rock?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can also find alternative damage up modifiers. There's freeze shot and maybe electric shot, but there's also stuff like horizontal shot and whatever the orthogonal shot is called that have extra damage. When you're using the last two for trigger setups they are sometimes better than regular damage ups, since they have no mana cost and don't add extra recoil.

^^Whatever way you're digging, and then ambrosia, and optionally teleport movement to keep it from washing off as quickly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
First attempt at a new game plus got cut off prematurely when I just began my ascent back through the temple of the art. Though I got 3 boss kills today so generally I'm pretty happy, would've seemed impossible to me just a week ago.

Luminous Drill is a spell you always want to hold on to, it can get real powerful real fast on the right wand.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Eric the Mauve posted:

What’s the preferred strat for breaking into the parallel worlds? Do you basically need to somehow have 1000+ HP or a means of on-demand healing to survive the cursed rock?

As said, black holes (preferably with speed up or other things that make it eat more), a teleport wand, and ambrosia. Don't move, just teleport around.

If you can, you can also delete a lot of the cursed rock with black holes and try to fly through, though you'll take mystery damage from merely being in the same area even if the rock itself is gone (which is kind of poo poo imo)

Eric the Mauve posted:

For purposes of putting together a reliable murderwand, there is only a small selection of spells you’re really looking for, and all but one of them are modifiers: damage plus, crit plus, heavy shot, increase mana, reduce recharge, and chainsaw. Also triple/quad spell of course, but those are everywhere. The modifiers (and a wand with the capacity, mana, and low enough recharge to take advantage of them) are what you’re really looking for. You generally don’t find them until midgame at best, but they are the real reason you want to risk exploring at least some of the fungal caverns.

Here’s a protip that I myself know but never heed and always die as a result: don’t use any kind of fire spell if you don’t have fire immunity, period. Especially not fire-based modifiers.

The basic murder wand is Spark Bolt With Trigger into Damage Plus / Heavy Shot into any multicast into other spells like Triplicate Bolt.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why is the trigger needed for a basic murderwand, I never quite got that

unless you're talking about dangerous spells like Explosion of course but you seem to mean in the general case

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Setting off 6 damaging spells inside a mob destroys it and probably also anything else nearby, plus being able to cast explosive/fiery spells from a safe distance yeah. And depending on the spells/modifiers it's also how you shoot around corners to kill stuff before it can damage you.

As has been discussed, the other super simple murderwand is the machine gun (modifiers -> doublecast -> basic attack spell -> chainsaw)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 4, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ciaphas posted:

why is the trigger needed for a basic murderwand, I never quite got that

unless you're talking about dangerous spells like Explosion of course but you seem to mean in the general case

With Trigger spell: Lets you deliver a large package of murder at range, prevents spells in the package from loving up your cast delay/recharge times

Modifiers: boost damage done by the coming projectiles

Multicast: applies previous modifiers to every projectile in the multicast, real fun with spells like Triplicate that create multiple projectiles

Other wand types are the shotgun-style (just fire off a bunch of spells at once) and the machine gun (rapid-fire projectiles). Main problem with shotgun-style is inaccuracy and cast delay/recharge, main problem with machine-gun is you tend to either run out of mana or don't have very many modifiers on it to keep mana down.

The trigger approach avoids the worst of both while allowing you to basically deliver damage point-blank.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. The basic Murderwand Kit consists of four compenents:

1. A wand with high mana/regen, at least 7-8 slots, and low recharge time
2. At least one (but preferably 2-3) damage modifiers (in order of preference, Damage Plus, Heavy Shot, Crit Plus)
3. At least one multicast spell
4. Either a spell+trigger or a chainsaw

And you use those to compile either:

The explosive sniper rifle wand (spell+trigger -> modifiers -> multicast -> as many spells as wand slots and multicasts allow
or
The machine gun (modifiers -> multicast -> low-mana attack spell -> chainsaw)

The machine gun has the added benefit of not really caring if it's a shuffle wand (Can't do the trigger setup effectively with shuffle) and not needing as many slots, but it's not nearly as effective at long range.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Shuffle wands are always garbage unless you're casting nothing but copies of the same spell.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you have a chainsaw you almost always should be spell wrapping with it in some way unless your wands are so close to zero delay that it doesn't matter.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Multi-spell shuffle wands can be okay for very basic attack setups. But you need to have slots equal to or less than the multicast number, so chances of having a good one are low.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

My current run's MVW is a quad-caster that always casts Mana Increase (I think that's the spell name). It's currently firing a heavily enhanced Matra Magic bolt with a chainsaw to make it rapid-fire. Just melts through everything and never runs out of mana. I was able to thoroughly clear out the Jungle, which was very good for my heart count. Ready to fumble and die in the last couple levels.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

it feels like shuffle wands should be the thing you place a ton of attack spells on and mindlessly machinegun with but a lot of them simply don't have statlines to back up the fact they're literally worthless for spellbuilding.

Usually my runs don't get anywhere till I get basic explosion on a zap trigger. Its easy... and does a lotta damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Today's discovery: the shield passives will "interrupt" trigger spells. For example,

Spark Bolt With Trigger -> Forward quadrant shield -> mods -> multicast -> projectiles

fires an empty spark bolt, then on second cast fires modded multicast projectiles. Wish I'd tested the wand before going into the Jungle. :negative:

Motherfucker posted:

Usually my runs don't get anywhere till I get basic explosion on a zap trigger. Its easy... and does a lotta damage.

If you're talking about the brimstone explosion spell, it's pretty nice, but IME it really tapers off in utility after the Snowy Depths. It just doesn't have the damage output to keep up. It also has a bad habit of flinging enemies towards you with the explosive blast. So yeah, it's good, but have a transition plan.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you're talking about the brimstone explosion spell, it's pretty nice, but IME it really tapers off in utility after the Snowy Depths. It just doesn't have the damage output to keep up. It also has a bad habit of flinging enemies towards you with the explosive blast. So yeah, it's good, but have a transition plan.

nah dawg, regular explosion. Plus as you progress and you get more wand space and capacity you start stacking more and more modifiers so its a seeking, fast firing machinegun explosion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm not aware of a spell that's literally just "an explosion". I've only ever seen an explosion of something, like lightning or brimstone or acid. Or an explosion in a specific form, like bomb or dynamite or unstable crystal. There is a modifier that adds explosions to projectiles though, is that what you were talking about? It's pretty rare IME.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

"explosion" is a thing and "explosion of brimstone" is something else

brimstone spreads a bit more fire, and is one of the spells that's really good at deleting all liquids

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Huh. I legitimately do not remember that spell. Well, you showed me! Sorry for being obstreperous.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

That wand did not save me in the end. Some loving bird skull headed big lad with a spear was tanking machinegun explosions like 'whatever nerd'

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For me a later iteration of that freezing wand from earlier has kept me going all the way to the bottom of the Temple with practically zero problems, when I'd previously only ever reached the jungle.

Its really basic but has ripped through everything in 1-2 seconds with pin-point accuracy and comical projectile speed (+95%) from the perks, bonus points for frozen enemies that don't immediately die falling to the ground and taking damage from their own fireballs while they're thawing.

I also have infinite digging/flight in the second wand (Concentrated Spells gives knockback) and a self-healing setup in the third plus the immunities and a large chunk of health, it's been almost disconcertingly smooth on all fronts. I should probably just go for the basic clear instead of pushing my luck, though I could go almost anywhere.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

goferchan posted:

Have you checked out the top of the big tree since 1.0? The game is tracking a lot of those things!

Have you seen the Steam achievements are supremely basic?

Let's get some achievements for getting to really unconventional places. Parallel worlds. Finding various orbs. All of those four special things you can do with the Moon, etc.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know what my CPU doesn't like?

Really doesn't like?

Trying to drain the Lake by transmuting it to whiskey and setting it on fire.

What happens if you throw a hot rock in there?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lag

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So my stats weren't saving. Thought it was a weird bug so I reset my stats just in case and thought it would be fun to only count post-1.0 stats. They still don't save. Here's a screenshot on a quick suicide run after 2 hour run all over the game.

Is this a bug or does it have to do with using mods? Because if it's the latter, who honestly gives a poo poo if someone got high stats on a modded game? I just want to see how I do, run to run.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zesty posted:

So my stats weren't saving. Thought it was a weird bug so I reset my stats just in case and thought it would be fun to only count post-1.0 stats. They still don't save. Here's a screenshot on a quick suicide run after 2 hour run all over the game.

Is this a bug or does it have to do with using mods? Because if it's the latter, who honestly gives a poo poo if someone got high stats on a modded game? I just want to see how I do, run to run.

Do you maybe have the game saved in a folder where it doesn't have write permissions so it can't modify the save file? That's my guess. Wouldn't be the issue if you've installed through Steam though unless something weird and buggy happened.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Easiest way to test if it's mod-related is just turning off all the mods you have enabled and dying twice. That'd rule that out.

But I'd assume it's due to some other issue. What are you using, Steam? Itch?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Steam. Disabling everything, sec.

Edit: Stats save when no mods are active.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 5, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
What mods are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist