Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I will take Biden sneaking past 270 and an outside shot at a 50/50 senate over whatever nightmare was conjured up last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

borkencode posted:

Susan Collins did better than Trump in Maine, I think several other races were like that.

15 points better in Maine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone calculate when PA will be called at the current rate of return so I can set an alarm

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I will take Biden sneaking past 270 and an outside shot at a 50/50 senate over whatever nightmare was conjured up last night.

Last night feels like a week ago

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Any election result where Trump is kicked out of office is a good result. If you told me exactly four years ago "four years from now, Biden will have won the 2020 election and only a few hundred thousand Americans will be dead" . . . . that would actually be slightly better than what I was predicting in the midst of my post-2016 meltdown. (I thought we'd have hundreds of thousands dead because of the abolishment of Medicaid, not a novel virus, but still).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

mango sentinel posted:

Chud voters are fueled by anger and spite. They will absolutely turn out to spike any hopes of a D senate.

Back when it was first announced that Biden might have a shot to take Georgia last night I had a vision of Trump becoming enraged at the news and blaming the local candidates for losing the state, leading to a angry chud base deserting the run off elections and sewering the republican chances.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Why is Pennsylvania a "commonwealth?"

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Starsfan posted:

We can always hope that Biden squeeks out Georgia and that invigorates the Democratic base there to really come out for the run off election(s), but it will be a tough row to hoe.

He was so uninspiring that he could barely get enough people out to win against Trump. You know, the guy who stared at an eclipse and told people to drink bleach to cure COVID. Moreover, he's been saying he's going to do absolutely nothing for average Americans and actively alienating his base in favor of chasing after Republican votes (who probably voted straight R downticket). What on earth would inspire people to show up for him in the midterms?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

All that turnout for this nail bitter of an election. Jesus Christ, Trump has really expanded/energized the Republican base.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

It was originally bcharted to the penn family by the english king

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NV is accepting ballots up to Nov 10th as long as they're postmarked by election day, they may be counting for a while if it's truly close.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Biden turned out a literal record number, but Trump did second best ever.

This was not a low engagement election.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah. Still that theory makes sense to me. Democrats now hate anything with an R on it; Republicans are only fired up about things with TROMP stamped on them.

but the chuds came out in record numbers as well in 2018. it's just that it wasn't enough

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Would you play a grand history game (like Paradox makes) where you change control of different countries or factions several times throughout the game? If you could have the player switch without it feeling really forced, it might be an interesting way of getting around the fact that you become super-duper powerful by the end of those games and it's no fun anymore.

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/kwestin/status/1324167597412118528

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Roger Explosion posted:

It's an old, aspirational English term for a community founded for the good of all. Pennsylvania was founded by William Penn as a sort of utopian colony for Quakers. That didn't last long but the name stuck.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

stillvisions posted:

Don't live in the past with Sherman, live in the present with Abrams; she'll tank you for it.

Lol amazing

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kro-Bar posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1324198430151946240?s=19

Nate doesn't think AZ should have been called yet. Who knows what that's worth.

He is right, the AP and FOX jumped the gun. We still think its a lot more likely than not that Biden wins, but you shouldn't call a race unless its basically a lock.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Gaius Marius posted:

It was originally bcharted to the penn family by the english king

Deteriorata posted:

It's an old, aspirational English term for a community founded for the good of all. Pennsylvania was founded by William Penn as a sort of utopian colony for Quakers. That didn't last long but the name stuck.
Neat! Thank you.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I can't wait for Biden to take up the office of the President and get to work implementing his platform of uh... hmm... not being Trump but also not changing anything? Am I missing anything else?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Some of ben franklin first writing was on the creation of s militia for the non milititant quakers. Fascinating stuff

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Rigel posted:

He is right, the AP and FOX jumped the gun. We still think its a lot more likely than not that Biden wins, but you shouldn't call a race unless its basically a lock.

You’d think they would have learned from Florida but here we are.

This race alone until PA is called is having me worried

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Bob_Casey/status/1324201810270294018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rigel posted:

yea fox's logic was really bizarre, he completely brushed off the obvious question of 'right but biden's biggest county is also the state's biggest county and traditionally is pretty purple, why are you assuming this biden lead is static' with smugness because how dare you question the literal only dude who thought AZ was a lock.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rigel posted:

The votes in question were discovered after the Fox call, so it was legit based on what they knew at the time. They have refused to walk it back based on the new information, however.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm hoping against hope that trump no longer being president will very rapidly loving disengage the otherwise non voters that he engaged: a season of surprisingly low Republican turnout in the future would be great.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Tuning in. How are things sitting re:senate?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

lich mcconnell continues to haunt the senate chamber as majority leader

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

at the moment, we're hosed as we only have 48 seats

however there is a teeny, tiny window of a chance that we could get 50 by the end of the year if both GA seats flip (they probably won't) by the end of the year

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

New numbers just posted in PA. That lead is slipping for Trump bigly fast. Down to 170k with 11% to go.

For reference Biden basically cut Trump's lead in half in like 4-5% of the vote today.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

w00tmonger posted:

Hinges on GA pushing their numbers below 50% lead for everyone so we get a run off. Those races would determine the fate of the senate. Not good odds but it’s possible

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My partner made the call last night around 10PM for us to turn off election coverage and start distracting ourselves however we could, and I'm indebted to her for that, because I'd probably be dead of a loving stroke if I'd kept watching. As it was, I woke up two hours after finally falling asleep and almost puked from the stress. It felt so much like 2016 and I was terrified. So I'm in agreement with you. I don't care if Joe squeaks out the tiniest of tiny wins, I don't care if we don't get the senate, I don't care if we get nothing done for the next four years; as long as Trump is out, I will loving take it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Rigel posted:

I mean, it basically WAS a lock, its taken a turnabout even more improbable than any of his 2016 rustbelt wins to even make it within the realm of possibility, let alone actually happen. AP of all outlets never calls early, they're the Gold Standard of the Gold Standard. I don't blame them for sticking to their guns even in the face of the unlikely.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Breetai posted:

I'm hoping against hope that trump no longer being president will very rapidly loving disengage the otherwise non voters that he engaged: a season of surprisingly low Republican turnout in the future would be great.

2018 is a data point in favor of this, if you want to hope.

Trump without a doubt activated a massive number of horrible non-voting swamp monsters, who stayed home in 2018 because "TRUMP!" wasn't on the ballot, and brought them back in 2020. Hopefully those swamp monsters go back to not voting again once Trump is gone.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Democrats tend to win whenever there is high turnout.

But this election had the highest turnout in 120 years! How the gently caress are Dems going to win in 2024?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Zotix posted:

New numbers just posted in PA. That lead is slipping for Trump bigly fast. Down to 170k with 11% to go.

For reference Biden basically cut Trump's lead in half in like 4-5% of the vote today.

Yeah but last I checked before this update he was down by 180k. The gap doesn't seem to be narrowing very fast.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
You know, I just realized that Biden's inauguration is likely to be relatively small, if he has public access at all, due to COVID. Trump going to be tweeting about crowd sizes when thats going on.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

(I thought we'd have hundreds of thousands dead because of the abolishment of Medicaid, not a novel virus, but still).

Don't worry, Biden will get right on abolishing Medicaid.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Would you play a grand history game (like Paradox makes) where you change control of different countries or factions several times throughout the game? If you could have the player switch without it feeling really forced, it might be an interesting way of getting around the fact that you become super-duper powerful by the end of those games and it's no fun anymore.

There was one called Great Invasions, set from 350-1066. Since only the East Roman Empire survived that entire timeframe, it had mechanics modelling corruption and decay of societies and the ability to swap between countries as the older ones broke down. Good luck getting it to run on modern computers, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is a good thread and you should read it.

https://twitter.com/aschrock/status/1324071351112491008?s=20

https://twitter.com/aschrock/status/1324071873932529664?s=20

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1324200240694648834?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

berserker posted:

Yeah but last I checked before this update he was down by 180k. The gap doesn't seem to be narrowing very fast.

11% is something like 750k outstanding votes and Biden has been winning them with a truly staggering margin. By all appearances it's simple math at this point.