Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Moot .1415926535 posted:

...can currently produce

Challenge accepted. Starts opening all the r22 canisters I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Filipino goons I trust you're staying safe holy poo poo piss

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wonder how much land straight up ends up being scoured off the map after that kind of typhoon. jesus fhcirst

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
In other news, ETA is a thing now.

So we've officially hit the greek alphabet record.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marsha...sh=28ee9c6064d7

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/moveph/status/1322798582706053120?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those buildings are more intact than I would have expected from a Cat 5 equivalent.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eta rapidly intensifying to likely cat 4

Those gravity waves :stonk:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not likely but lol at this gfs run

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The models currently don’t seem to know what to do with this storm after like Sunday

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zeno-25 posted:

Love to do the Gulf of Mexico waltz

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Zeno-25 posted:

Extreme 'gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress this and this, gently caress you, and finally gently caress all of you' energy there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zeno-25 posted:

yeah sure teabag the panhandle

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Zeno-25 posted:

lmao the twin hurricane dance

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zeno-25 posted:

Eta rapidly intensifying to likely cat 4

Those gravity waves :stonk:

What's the landmass?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nicaragua/Honduras border I think

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Zeno-25 posted:

I assume it's unlikely because it only turns into 2 hurricanes doing a Scottish reel, when it's 2020 so the likely scenario is a 4 hurricane mosh pit?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/splillo/status/1323354398320308224

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

man, we honeymooned in Nicaragua and hiked a rainforest hosed up by otto. dead poo poo as far as they eye could see in one of the most diverse places on the planet.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Zeno-25 posted:

i wonder how naming works for fujiwhara doublecanes

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

VectorSigma posted:

i wonder how naming works for fujiwhara doublecanes
A pair of orbiting hurricanes named Eta and Theta would be nominally satisfying

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lived in Albay for a year. Really hoping all my mates from there are okay.

Like they're all used to a getting through a poo poo load of typhoons, but yeah this beast seems a bit different.

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just talking to my mates who live in Albay. Apparently really bad lahar/volcanic mudflows from Mt Mayon (often a big issue when typhoons hit Bicol. Mass damage, electricity mostly out cells coverage is spot. lots of flooding. Things not great.

:(

Managed to contact most of my mates, who are okay. Although one lost their house. :(

If anyone can give to area please do. That dude who posted in the thread early who actually lives around there would probably know what charity to give to that you know would actually help the area!

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

just the tip

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

go home eta, you're drunk

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Hasn't Tampa been dodging "the big one" since before building codes were a thing? :ohdear:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zarin posted:

Hasn't Tampa been dodging "the big one" since before building codes were a thing? :ohdear:

I think they haven’t had a big one in 100 years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I thought it was jacksonville that keeps getting lucky.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

go home eta, you're drunk

that's nothing check out atsani

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vesi posted:

that's nothing check out atsani

GET STICK BUGGED LOL

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tampas geography, iirc, means it will most likely never see anything really bad unless something hits it at just the perfect angle, at which point it will be scoured from the earth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

Tampas geography, iirc, means it will most likely never see anything really bad unless something hits it at just the perfect angle, at which point it will be scoured from the earth

Why's that?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

iirc its just because tampa is on the west coast of florida and the gulf/caribbean hurricanes always move east to west (because that's the direction of the trade winds)

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Nov 5, 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it being on the west coast and I think something to do with how it's on a bay instead of a coast? I don't remember much beyond the assertion, whoever posted it sounded like a real nerd so it checked out

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Shear Modulus posted:

iirc its just because tampa is on the west coast of florida and the gulf/caribbean hurricanes always move east to west (because that's the direction of the trade winds)

always move east to west so far

we will likely see many more unprecedented events as the old rules keep changing

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Tampa's risk is from hurricanes that develop in the sw Carribean and recurve up NE. It's a late-season pattern that you typically won't see before October so it's a narrow window of risk. See Wilma for an example of this style that missed. Look up Hurricane Phoenix if you want to see what the disaster planning scenario for a direct hit is like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Tampa's risk is from hurricanes that develop in the sw Carribean and recurve up NE. It's a late-season pattern that you typically won't see before October so it's a narrow window of risk. See Wilma for an example of this style that missed. Look up Hurricane Phoenix if you want to see what the disaster planning scenario for a direct hit is like.
In 2005 there were a few of these storms that hit the FL West Coast like Charley, which made landfall about 100 mi south of Tampa

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

tampa is for sure in no way "protected" it just sits in a spot where there is less probability to get smashed under the current regime compared to the more familiar scenarios. nudge a few variables and that unlikelihood can erode, either under the duress of the law of large numbers or a change in synoptic patterns.

throw enough storms that way, one's bound to hit eventually.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Epic High Five posted:

it being on the west coast and I think something to do with how it's on a bay instead of a coast? I don't remember much beyond the assertion, whoever posted it sounded like a real nerd so it checked out

Because a storm coming in at the right angle, funneling a lot of surge into the bay would be loving catastrophic given how shallow it is. Depending on which maps you believe, it could even turn most of Pinellas into an island for awhile.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lots of tampa especially on the water is barely above sea level, there's a lot of wetlands especially around the rivers emptying into the bay and that canal running across the St Pete peninsula. That bit stuck out into the bay in the middle of the picture has an air force base down at the tip and is otherwise pretty densely populated, and already regularly floods in heavy rain

Storm surge is only a major issue if the wind is pushing water in from the mouth of the bay, which is a pretty narrow opening and requires a hurricane come from a pretty specific and unlikely direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mayhaps that post was a fever dream