Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frekkie Melody posted:

*Denmark invents new Covid and releases it into the wild*

:v:
Just proves Denmark is better at innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Yet not innovative enough to have proper language ;)

New rules coming to Norway today, and supposedly the authorities think that the country doesn't have to kill mink here.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There were mink farms?

What were they farming? Mink-flesh?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is mink sausage a thing

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

There were mink farms?

What were they farming? Mink-flesh?

I don't know if you're joking or not but mink fur, it's a big animal rights issue

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

believe it or not, they're covered in a warm, fuzzy substance that Russian and Chinese rich people will pay out the rear end for

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Don’t forget fake eyelashes! Thankfully cruelty free eyelashes are more and more the norm but yep, mink fur eyelashes! A Calling Card That You Are A Rich

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

abske_fides posted:

It’s precisely because of innovations in language that Danish became unintelligable. You had no problem understanding the archaic Danish of the 50’s, but we’ve progressed far beyond that primitive tongue since, while Swedish and Norwegian have clung to the old ways.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm always scratching my head when trying to figure out how, exactly, we're supposed to do compound words for company names and such.

DSB - Danske Statsbaner - makes sense if it wasn't a compound word. You can't just break up the word in your abbreviation like that!

DHF - Dansk Håndbold Forbund - is the complete opposite, with håndboldforbund being split in two for no apparent reason? It's embarrassing!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It’s precisely because of innovations in language that Danish became unintelligable. You had no problem understanding the archaic Danish of the 50’s, but we’ve progressed far beyond that primitive tongue since, while Swedish and Norwegian have clung to the old ways.

The Great Kamelåså Shift.

THE BAR posted:

I'm always scratching my head when trying to figure out how, exactly, we're supposed to do compound words for company names and such.

DSB - Danske Statsbaner - makes sense if it wasn't a compound word. You can't just break up the word in your abbreviation like that!

DHF - Dansk Håndbold Forbund - is the complete opposite, with håndboldforbund being split in two for no apparent reason? It's embarrassing!

It's all due to influence from that perfidious English language. A very large number of danes get it wrong, and the proliferation of smartphones have made it even worse, since they tend to autocorrect long compound words into separate words.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

slowdave posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not but mink fur, it's a big animal rights issue

Still? I thought that was solved like 20 years ago

who tf still has to wear mink-fur clothing for it to be a big industry. Fake fur looks just as good

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

who tf still has to wear mink-fur clothing for it to be a big industry. Fake fur looks just as good

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

THE BAR posted:

Well primarily because DS and DHBF would both be awkward abbreviations. It's not like somebody is going to put you in language jail for going with the intuitively most elegant abbreviation.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

abske_fides posted:

Hey! That's unfair! Danish Sign Language is cool and good!

Mink chat: Denmark is transitioning from being the leading supplier of fur to being the leading supplier of novel new Corona virus strains.

Compound word chat: the way of writing stuff in Latin is not really super well suited to Germanic compound words, because they're sort of in the grey area between words and phrases. Abbreviations pick and choose to make the best sounding abbreviation. In many cases opting for three or four letters. See also prepositions being included or excluded in acronyms for pronuncability/brevity. And especially see FE vs PET. That's super dumb.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

slowdave posted:

In Norway there is the double whammy for animal rights folk because it came out a few years ago that despite the subsidised price almost nobody actually wants to eat whale any more, so a decent chunk of the Norwegian whale catch goes to mink farms.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's a pity that the Kamelåså sketch is the most popular sketch that Uti Vår Hage have made, because they've made a lot of other really good stuff and some that I'd say is better.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
And still the mediocre sketch became the most popular with goons

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

military cervix posted:

Well primarily because DS and DHBF would both be awkward abbreviations. It's not like somebody is going to put you in language jail for going with the intuitively most elegant abbreviation.

Then don't abbreviate your stuff, or name it something compatible then. My brain disease is spazzing out whenever I stumble upon disgressions like these.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Didn't even know Denmark had minks. I know they killed off all their wild board due to being afraid of swine flu coming in from Poland.
Let's hope the farms have lovely insurance and have to close down for good.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Collapsing Farts posted:

Who exported raw mink skins in 2018?

Who imported raw mink skins in 2018?

The Southeast Asian countries mostly just tan them for export to China.

Who exported furskin apparel in 2018?

Who imported furskin apparel in 2018?

So, mostly Russian and Chinese rich people.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

In Norway there is the double whammy for animal rights folk because it came out a few years ago that despite the subsidised price almost nobody actually wants to eat whale any more, so a decent chunk of the Norwegian whale catch goes to mink farms.
They use tax money to keep the whaling going. And use the whale meat to raise minks in farms.

Do they kick puppies too?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's brilliantly stupid.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are you telling me I can buy Norwegian whale meat? Because I'm absolutely in the market for that, if it's sustainable from a healthy population. Of course, that's seems like a pretty big if... But isn't the much publicized whale killing on the Faroes pretty sustainable actually?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Whale is not particularly good, in either traditional or modern preparations. I'm no animal rights activist, but I don't think it should be a subsidized industry. Why not fish a lot more king crab and get the price down? It tastes good and is an invasive species.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

thotsky posted:

Whale is not particularly good, in either traditional or modern preparations. I'm no animal rights activist, but I don't think it should be a subsidized industry. Why not fish a lot more king crab and get the price down? It tastes good and is an invasive species.

You would favor the Stalin crabs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BonHair posted:

But isn't the much publicized whale killing on the Faroes pretty sustainable actually?

It's heavily regulated and entirely sustainable, yes, but also whale is pretty gross tasting and just about the worst possible meat to eat with regards to accumulation of heavy metals and similar non-excretables.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

thotsky posted:

Yeah, I've tried whale beef a couple of times (My dad likes it). But I've always found it to be like strangely grainy and rough. It's alright in like a "kjøtt i mørke" type casserole, but if you're doing that you could just as well go with any other dark meat really, and game like moose or deer is much better for that anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I've tried whale beef a couple of times (My dad likes it). But I've always found it to be like strangely grainy and rough. It's alright in like a "kjøtt i mørke" type casserole, but if you're doing that you could just as well go with any other dark meat really, and game like moose or deer is much better for that anyway.
Mørkt kød serveret i mørke i Mørke?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BonHair posted:

Are you telling me I can buy Norwegian whale meat? Because I'm absolutely in the market for that, if it's sustainable from a healthy population. Of course, that's seems like a pretty big if... But isn't the much publicized whale killing on the Faroes pretty sustainable actually?
You can buy it in Norway, I think the rest of Europe has a ban on importing it though. It's sometimes in the frozen section in Coop. When I lived in the North you could get it fresh in season as well. It's minke whale and the population is not in danger - the allowed catch is not that high and they don't usually even fill it. It tastes OK, pretty unlike any other meat I've had. It's very easy to overcook and dry out though, I'd suggest having it at a restaurant if you're interested in tasting it.

Norway is or was also the only country in mainland Europe where you could get seal meat, there were one or two ships still hunting them a couple years ago, also heavily government subsidised. I'm not sure if they're still going now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Norway is or was also the only country in mainland Europe where you could get seal meat, there were one or two ships still hunting them a couple years ago, also heavily government subsidised. I'm not sure if they're still going now.

It's over. Mostly because the export market disappeared. If the Norwegian market had been enough on its own, it'd probably keep going I assume, that's kind of what Setnerpartiet is for when they are growing big and bloated feeding Ap's decline in the midst of revolt over centralization reforms.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Mørkt kød serveret i mørke i Mørke?

Ring til Thisted.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

They've started loosening up the restrictions on the Swedish Baltic coast.

What's the management goal? Replace some apex predator? Just maintain fisheries?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

THE BAR posted:

Then don't abbreviate your stuff, or name it something compatible then. My brain disease is spazzing out whenever I stumble upon disgressions like these.

I take it you've never had to navigate the French miasma of bureaucracy and acronyms, which has this stunning example:

The road signs showing the way to the train station often just say "SNCF" and nothing else. No little picture of a train to make it international / accessible, just those four letters and if you don't know what they stand for, gently caress you, I guess.

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 6, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

My only concern with whale meat is those exploding harpoons they use. Apparently they kill the animals quickly a large percentage of the time. That still means it doesn't do that, in many cases. Other than that I don't think it's any worse than killing terrestrial mammals for food.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grevling posted:

My only concern with whale meat is those exploding harpoons they use. Apparently they kill the animals quickly a large percentage of the time. That still means it doesn't do that, in many cases. Other than that I don't think it's any worse than killing terrestrial mammals for food.
As opposed to interstellar or intergalatic animals? :v:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This whole covid thing couldn't have come at a worse time for my startup exploiting airborne mammals as a sustainable food source. I was really counting on Halloween sales of batburgers to see us through to Q1 2021.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nice

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrownAU/status/1324461854266060800

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

jeebus bob posted:

The road signs showing the way to the train station often just say "SNCF" and nothing else.

Well obviously.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whale meat is pretty meh, not great not terrible.
I have never even seen Seal for sale. I think you need to personally know somone who hunts seals ( or hunt them yourself) to get it.
I think what happened with Seal meat is the customers literally all died of old age eventually. Whale is still eaten by regular people, but only in some regions and not very often.
Seals are hardly threatened by extinction, we should promote North-Atlantic seal flesh as sexual stimulant in the Chinese market. If you are willing to inhale ivory powder for a boner why not snack on some seal liver jerky as well? You never know, it just migth work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Baudolino posted:

Whale meat is pretty meh, not great not terrible.
I have never even seen Seal for sale. I think you need to personally know somone who hunts seals ( or hunt them yourself) to get it.
I think what happened with Seal meat is the customers literally all died of old age eventually. Whale is still eaten by regular people, but only in some regions and not very often.
Seals are hardly threatened by extinction, we should promote North-Atlantic seal flesh as sexual stimulant in the Chinese market. If you are willing to inhale ivory powder for a boner why not snack on some seal liver jerky as well? You never know, it just migth work.

I thought seal meat was super toxic?