Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

Yeah I'm absolutely gonna swerve to that tomorrow despite what I just said 2 posts up.

It's interesting how much looking at something more expensive (ebikes) makes other things look perfectly reasonable. Like I'm sure the 5600x would be fine for me but for 150 bucks more I can get a 5800x! I'd be dumb not to spend all the money. I mean gently caress I got those stupid fans and don't feel super bad about it (well it was an early Christmas gift but I totally would have bought them myself) because next to water cooling it's such a deal!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
hope the nda is up at midnight and not 9a et.
GIMME DA BENCH

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Duck and Cover posted:

It's interesting how much looking at something more expensive (ebikes) makes other things look perfectly reasonable. Like I'm sure the 5600x would be fine for me but for 150 bucks more I can get a 5800x! I'd be dumb not to spend all the money. I mean gently caress I got those stupid fans and don't feel super bad about it (well it was an early Christmas gift but I totally would have bought them myself) because next to water cooling it's such a deal!

The 5800 comes with a copy of FarCry 6 and the 5600 does not.

So it's only 90 bucks more, really.

You'd be cheating yourself not to do it at that point.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Thread's moving fairly fast, just wanted to add in a note that unless I'm mistaken the Pro4 is in a tier where ASRock motherboards do not have any kind of debug LED. Looking at manuals for budget B550s, the only thing I can say definitively is that it looks like debug LEDs are present on MSI's boards (I checked it for the Pro-VDH max at least). It's not a dealbreaker (my most recent build used a comparable ASRock mobo) as long as you don't have any trouble hooking things up but I wanted to highlight that as a potential feature that could save you a significant headache if you have issues getting things to post.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I kinda wonder if the 5800X might be more compelling with overclocking, given it's 105W TDP vs the 5600X's 65W. Or, perhaps it'll be the other way around, and you can jack up the TDP on the 5600X enough to strike at the 5800X. Just adding two cores and 100Mhz sure ain't a good deal for +50% price, though.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

funkmeister posted:

hope the nda is up at midnight and not 9a et.
GIMME DA BENCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKw0cIUCtI&ab_channel=Pichau

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Too bad most of those are kinda meaningless benches. His 3070 is holding him back so badly that some of those games are only running at <20% CPU usage--no wonder most of the chips all benchmark very similarly.

Not sure what resolution and such he's using, but if nothing else it does show that if you're GPU bound, your CPU doesn't need to be that great to keep up, so all ya'll thinking about grabbing a 5900X for 4k gaming are probably over-spending.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
they say 1080p at medium or high in most cases so yeah not a terribly useful test case in some respects. does show that in a lot of cases that there's not much difference between a 5600x and 10900k

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/93gp2V

what I think I've settled on for my new build. just have to kill or capture someone tomorrow for a zen 3 processor

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
My local computer shop has a waitlist to buy 30xx cards and, to my surprise, I made it to the front of the list today and was able to purchase a 3090!

Part of the deal - and, really, the reason the line moved fast - is you have to basically buy a full new PC's worth of parts from this shop to get on the list.

So, here's the last minute build I put together in order to qualify to buy the card (I had planned on building a full new PC anyway, so buying all these parts was ok with me):

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ChimpOnStilts/saved/ZcsJMp

All the packages are still sealed. Let me know if you see any issues worth returning / swapping out a part.

My goal is to have a high end gaming machine, both traditional and VR games, running on a 3840x1600 ultrawide 144Hz.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 5, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

I mean I dont see any vaccines so you might as well make your computer baller we gona be here for a while.

Nvidia probably making me wait till Xmas for our gpu gifts :(

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My local computer shop has a waitlist to buy 30xx cards and, to my surprise, I made it to the front of the list today and was able to purchase a 3090!

Part of the deal - and, really, the reason the line moved fast - is you have to basically buy a full new PC's worth of parts from this shop to get on the list.

So, here's the last minute build I put together in order to qualify to buy the card (I had planned on building a full new PC anyway, so buying all these parts was ok with me):

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ChimpOnStilts/saved/ZcsJMp

All the packages are still sealed. Let me know if you see any issues worth returning / swapping out a part.

My goal is to have a high end gaming machine, both traditional and VR games, running on a 3840x1600 ultrawide 144Hz.

Those fans were released a long time ago, id look at their newer designed a12x25s.

You should get a fan hub to drive the fans either way.

Makes wiring way easier. Pretty cheap, im using these:

SilverStone Technology Silverstone 8-Port PWM Fan Hub/Splitter for 4-Pin & 3-Pin Fans in Black SST-CPF04-USA (Newest Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3HP8S5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ET4OFb2FKG637?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I got a:
B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
16 Gigs of Ram
GTX 1060 3GB

GTX 1060 is actually the oldest part in this, it came from my older computer and i bought it in 2017 I think.

Pandemic kinda threw everything off balance but I want to know what is the next best video card upgrade for me, as I just purchased RDR 2 on the PC. It looks beautiful, but it's running at around 20 frames with all the added effects, and it chews up all 3 GBs of VRAM to run it at 1920X1080 on high

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zen3 preorders are up on B&h
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1598373-REG/amd_100_100000061wof_ryzen_9_5900x_3_7.html

for purely gaming what is predicted to be better? 5800x or 5900x?

The 5800x base clock is higher while the 5900x boosts higher. With how AMD defines boosting that might a worthless metric. Im coming from a 3800xt so the upgrade is bound to be pretty small. I do 75% gaming 25% video editing and the 3800xt is doing fine. Saving a few seconds on a video export doesnt matter. I mostly game

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 5, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
3070 if you want ray tracing, I'm thinking.

3080 if you plan on going higher resolutions.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

3070 if you want ray tracing, I'm thinking.

3080 if you plan on going higher resolutions.

JESUS, this is acutally the first time i've seen the price of some of the 3070s and that's uh, a little out of my price range at this time. I'm gonna wait a little bit.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 5, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

JESUS, this is acutally the first time i've seen the price of some of the 3070s and that's uh, a little out of my price range at this time. I'm gonna wait a little bit.

You could go for a used 2070.

Lotta people upgrading.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

spunkshui posted:

Those fans were released a long time ago, id look at their newer designed a12x25s.

You should get a fan hub to drive the fans either way.

Makes wiring way easier. Pretty cheap, im using these:

SilverStone Technology Silverstone 8-Port PWM Fan Hub/Splitter for 4-Pin & 3-Pin Fans in Black SST-CPF04-USA (Newest Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3HP8S5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ET4OFb2FKG637?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nice catch, the webpage for this mobo says it has 3x chassis fan connectors, so I guess I have to either get a hub or some Y-splitters right?

Do you have any comment on how much better the newer fans are than this older model? I don't have an extreme need, I just want something quiet that'll keep the machine cool. I won't bother going through the hassle of returning these if they're, like, 90% as good as the latest model.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Nice catch, the webpage for this mobo says it has 3x chassis fan connectors, so I guess I have to either get a hub or some Y-splitters right?

Do you have any comment on how much better the newer fans are than this older model? I don't have an extreme need, I just want something quiet that'll keep the machine cool. I won't bother going through the hassle of returning these if they're, like, 90% as good as the latest model.

Cant find anyone comparing them directly but these move a shocking amount of air while not making any sound.

https://youtu.be/enxa_nWZVdo

Your will absolutely be fine with those, but it looked like a classic “I want the best” build.

Figured you might want to know there is a “the best” 120mm fan for basically everything.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Crossquoting this from the AMD thread:

Taima posted:

I'm not saying the 29,278 people who preordered from BH won't get their CPUs in a timely fashion but this exact same thing happened with the 3080 on launch day. They charged everyone's card immediately which made people think it was legit. Then no one got a card, because they had just put up preorders with an infinitely long queue.

Legend has it people still have holds on their cards to this day

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Scan website is going to be exactly the same as last week with the 3070 release. Nearly 500 people looking at the 5600X now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I got a:
B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
16 Gigs of Ram
GTX 1060 3GB

GTX 1060 is actually the oldest part in this, it came from my older computer and i bought it in 2017 I think.

Pandemic kinda threw everything off balance but I want to know what is the next best video card upgrade for me, as I just purchased RDR 2 on the PC. It looks beautiful, but it's running at around 20 frames with all the added effects, and it chews up all 3 GBs of VRAM to run it at 1920X1080 on high

1660super is the best 1080p60 card around. It's unlikely anything new will be in the price bracket for months.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The RTX 2060 is on sale at Newegg for $285 if you wanted to step up from the 1660 super a bit, too

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not seeing the Zen3 processors live yet

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
5800x sold out on newegg, got all the way to the last step once :/

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Live on Newegg

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/p/N82E16819113666?Item=N82E16819113666&Tpk=19-113-666

/edit: and sold out about a minute later.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 5, 2020

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Got a 5600x from Scan. They've already sold out but you can still buy one with a mobo bundle.

EDIT: Already two on Ebay for £400 and £600.

Dog Pipes fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 5, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I ordered a 5600x on Amazon

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

I ordered a 5600x on Amazon

Same, but only because that's the only one I could get through. Saved me some money at least.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was on Newegg at 9 and I never saw the thing pop up until it was sold out

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Availability is very hit and miss right now - not 3000 series level, but you’ll want to set up an alert or something - but the Cooler Master NR200 is basically the best budget ITX case ever and it’s really really really hard to recommend anything else under 100 bucks for SFF stuff. (If you see the NR200p, it’s the same thing, for 20 bucks more, with some optional accessories included - notably, a tempered glass side panel instead of a vented metal one)
This one looks okay I guess, but I was looking for for ITX cases that are thin, rather than squat. I'll run it by the wife though and see.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cicero posted:

This one looks okay I guess, but I was looking for for ITX cases that are thin, rather than squat. I'll run it by the wife though and see.

The word you want to search for then is a "console style" case; look at the Fractal Node 202?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

pik_d posted:

Same, but only because that's the only one I could get through. Saved me some money at least.

This is the right choice if you plan on gaming and not spending all day compressing videos or whatever.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hi all,
I built a new PC over the summer, but I'm using an older Antec case that's a little beat up. It's also a full sized ATX case, and I'm on a MicroATX board. I also got a 3070FE which looks really nice, so I'm looking at a new case - smaller, matx sized - with a nice glass side panel. I'm torn between the Fractal Define Mini C - which has a sleek looking metal front - and the Fractal Meshify Mini C. Anyone with experience of either? Do I lose a whole lot by not going for the one with the mesh front? I've read that noise-wise they're both the same, but think the metal front would look tons better than the mesh. Would be glad to hear people's thoughts.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Best Buy is live with the AMD processors. They must have decent stock, as I had time to sign up a new account and still buy it once it was in my cart. Hopefully it fully processes.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
It looks like things are falling in place so I need to start ordering some parts for the PC I am building from scratch. I am still debating on a 5800x or a 5900x (I see video editing in my future thanks to my kids) but with the motherboard I picked out (MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi) there might be a required bios update for the new 5000 line. Can anyone confirm if that is the case? Sadly I do not have an older Ryzen chip to use so I might just swap the motherboard with something else if needed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The immediate price drop on Zen 2 CPUs is making me regret not waiting another month to build my system

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

change my name posted:

The immediate price drop on Zen 2 CPUs is making me regret not waiting another month to build my system

Old hardware doesn’t tend to get discounted massively so much is it just becomes a bad idea to purchase.

It’s not like a last generation gaming console or anything.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

spunkshui posted:

Old hardware doesn’t tend to get discounted massively so much is it just becomes a bad idea to purchase.

It’s not like a last generation gaming console or anything.

microcenter is selling a 3600 for 180 & 20 off a motherboard. thats one hell of a buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

DrDork posted:

This is the right choice if you plan on gaming and not spending all day compressing videos or whatever.

Yeah it is. I figured you'd approve of my forced choice.