Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I know Americans are fond of yeeing and hawing while firing revolvers into the air, but when you hear on the news of constant ammo panic buying, is the turnover of ammo high enough to warrant this, or is the level of stockpiled ammo generally climbing?

Taking into account spoilage, use on ranges/hunting, does demand outstrip functional use consistently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jeza posted:

Taking into account spoilage

Have no idea where to get stats to answer your question, but this one stood out as a non-factor. I'm still shooting ammo that was produced in the 60s. It's pretty common surplus. So I don't think spoilage is any sort of real factor here.

Personally? I have about the same amount of ammo I typically keep around. I'd have bought more by now if there's weren't a global pandemic, because I'd be going to the range still. But then again, I probably wouldn't buy more because the prices are too high and I'm not all that dead set on stocking up/going to the range.....I can find something else to do until prices return to sanity.

One anecdote I can say is that after every panic buy/election cycle that I can remember there is always a wash of cheap "used" guns and ammo that flood the market. So maybe it's all just ending up with people like me who burn it at the range.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Motronic posted:

Have no idea where to get stats to answer your question, but this one stood out as a non-factor. I'm still shooting ammo that was produced in the 60s. It's pretty common surplus. So I don't think spoilage is any sort of real factor here.

Personally? I have about the same amount of ammo I typically keep around. I'd have bought more by now if there's weren't a global pandemic, because I'd be going to the range still. But then again, I probably wouldn't buy more because the prices are too high and I'm not all that dead set on stocking up/going to the range.....I can find something else to do until prices return to sanity.

One anecdote I can say is that after every panic buy/election cycle that I can remember there is always a wash of cheap "used" guns and ammo that flood the market. So maybe it's all just ending up with people like me who burn it at the range.

True, I just kinda chucked spoilage out there as a kinda of...age related corrosion for poorly stored stuff/buried in the yard kinda deal. I can kinda see how the number of guns per head will rise over time simply because not enough guns fall out of circulation, but it feels somehow counter-intuitive that there is an ever increasing mountain of ammo sitting in people's homes. But likewise I can't reconcile how most people 'spend' their ammo with how much gets bought. But truthfully I'm just kinda ignorant of gun culture, maybe people just tend to blaze through it recreationally and it's roughly always in equilibrium.

My gut would say that the same 'whales' who have like 10+ guns also buy the lion's share of the ammo, and maybe the number is going up overall, but unlike collecting guns which is kinda like a hobby, there comes a point where you just have...enough when it comes to ammo I figure. It's not really got the same appeal. So it doesn't make total sense the same 5% of people would be just buying up tonnes of ammo unless they were getting through it somewhat.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think the real question is "how much does the average American shoot per month?". And also something like the number for the top 10 percent shooters. My guess is that some people blow thousands of dollars on ammo monthly for fun.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's not really "the same 5%" though, that's like saying "who keeps buying silverware, doesn't everybody have a set by now?" There's still turnover, people die or whatever and at the same time new gun-guys get added into the mix and start their own collection. People get a new gun and that's a new type of ammo to add to the shopping list, or they find they like using X ammo better than Y so now they have a stockpile of both kinds.

There's probably no way to accurately answer if the amount of ammo being sold is roughly equivalent to the amount of ammo being spent, although I would guess that the stockpiles are only growing. If you already have a waist-high stack of rounds in your basement, what difference does it make if you pick up another couple cases because AOC is in the news again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Guns Georg, who lives in a cave & buys over 10,000 each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Do under-desk ellipticals/cycling/whatever actually work and/or are not incredibly lovely, assuming you have a tall enough desk? Might avoid gym as plague gets worse.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Motronic posted:

I am a long way off being a firearms expert but have been to a range a couple of times. One time after shooting some normal things a guy handed me this weird Czech rifle that he said was loaded with some old soviet surplus rounds, and I only had the thing in my hands for a few minutes but I got a lot of stoppages. I assumed this was due to age but is it more likely to be down to crappy ammo and/or bad storage?

Edit: I am a Britgoon so opportunities to shoot are exceedingly rare. The event in question took place in Hungary

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ineptmule posted:

I am a long way off being a firearms expert but have been to a range a couple of times. One time after shooting some normal things a guy handed me this weird Czech rifle that he said was loaded with some old soviet surplus rounds, and I only had the thing in my hands for a few minutes but I got a lot of stoppages. I assumed this was due to age but is it more likely to be down to crappy ammo and/or bad storage?

Old Czech rifles are often kinda garbage for various reasons from initial manufacture to being re-packaged in make-work projects after the war. Also, the typical surplus ammo in those calibers is so old that it's using mercury fulminate primers which are super corrosive and a lot of people don't clean their weapons properly after shooting it so they end up looking like sewer pipes with all of the mechanical problems that you'd expect coming along with that.

At least when new in bulk, the ammo is packed very nicely in tins that you have to open with a specialty can opener. It smells like sawdust and communism when you first pop the seal.

So basically, you're correct on weapons age and crappy ammo but not necessarily for the reasons you'd expect. It's a very "old junk from Russia" specific problem, not a general old weapon/old ammo problem.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Has anyone watched Documental on Prime Video? And can anyone with a little more insight into Japanese culture (particularly their comedy scene) tell me whether there is some super racism going on there or if I'm just misreading?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Biowarfare posted:

Do under-desk ellipticals/cycling/whatever actually work and/or are not incredibly lovely, assuming you have a tall enough desk? Might avoid gym as plague gets worse.
They work well enough as long as you turn up the resistance, but either way it's probably better than just sitting there (even if it's still not as good as actually walking). Don't bother with a cheapo, my experience is that once you turn up the resistance on those they tend to break. Cheapos also get real noisy, real fast.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

How can you play chess against yourself? I mean, what is the point? You can't exactly go for a strategy, since you know at any point what the other side is going to do x turns from now. Are you just performing the most optimal moves for each side?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The point isn't to win; instead, it's to try out different strategies and see how they work on an actual board. It's no substitute for going up against an actual opponent, but it's a useful intermediate step between coming up with the strategy and trying it live.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Motronic posted:

Old Czech rifles are often kinda garbage for various reasons from initial manufacture to being re-packaged in make-work projects after the war. Also, the typical surplus ammo in those calibers is so old that it's using mercury fulminate primers which are super corrosive and a lot of people don't clean their weapons properly after shooting it so they end up looking like sewer pipes with all of the mechanical problems that you'd expect coming along with that.

At least when new in bulk, the ammo is packed very nicely in tins that you have to open with a specialty can opener. It smells like sawdust and communism when you first pop the seal.

So basically, you're correct on weapons age and crappy ammo but not necessarily for the reasons you'd expect. It's a very "old junk from Russia" specific problem, not a general old weapon/old ammo problem.

Interesting! Thanks. The rifle was actually not that ancient. Certainly looked to be significantly after the war. It had a roughly AK looking shape but with some gas vent doohickey on the muzzle to keep the recoil down. It was cleaner than some of the other weapons that the dude had. I could definitely believe the ammo being dodgy though.

Edit: I guess the inside of weapon could still look like you describe if they only shoot that ropey old ammo.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 4, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Is there a thread like this for medical questions?

I know I should just go see a doctor, but $$$

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

dog nougat posted:

Is there a thread like this for medical questions?

I know I should just go see a doctor, but $$$

Most people just make a thread for their question inside The Goon Doctor (it’s a sub forum of You Look Like poo poo).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ah ok I gotcha. I'm on mobile, so it's kinda a hassle to make new threads. Guess I'll try though

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

dog nougat posted:

Ah ok I gotcha. I'm on mobile, so it's kinda a hassle to make new threads. Guess I'll try though

If you’re on Awful app make sure you pick a thread icon or it won’t let you post.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I swear this is a real question

In the movie Air Bud, there's the famous line "There's no rule that says a dog can't play basketball!!!!" or whatever said by some awful referee that honestly probably should have gone to review.

Do ANY professional sports HAVE rules that say that all players must be human/alive/sentient/whatever?

And,

If yes, were any of these implemented AFTER Air Bud?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's a fun question! My guess is that at least some rules refer to "5 people/men/women per team", which would technically disallow dogs. Though it could also be players.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

BaronVanAwesome posted:

In the movie Air Bud, there's the famous line "There's no rule that says a dog can't play basketball!!!!" or whatever said by some awful referee that honestly probably should have gone to review.

Do ANY professional sports HAVE rules that say that all players must be human/alive/sentient/whatever?

And,

At least for the NBA there is no such rule that specifically prohibits dogs. However, off the top of my head there are numerous rules that would in effect prohibit a dog. First, he has to have a legal name and a signed contract, both of which would be difficult. The one that really stops it is all players have to be at least 19 years old, which is basically impossible for a dog. Uniform rules and requirements would also be problematic. Lastly, the refs have a general open discretion to stop play for anything disruptive to play. That's usually something like a drink getting spilled on the court or a fan running onto the court, etc. I'd imagine a dog would fall into that purview as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Most professional sport rule books use generic terms like “player” which don’t technically specify man/woman/human, but they also have age limits that generally exceed the lifespan of dogs anyway.

For example, the NBA currently doesn’t allow players until they are at least 19 years old (This wasn’t always the case, and high school kids got drafted heavily in the late 90s and early 00s, such as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James). By comparison, the NHL doesn’t allow players until they hit 18, although there are well established junior leagues in Canada that start around 16 and were most of the players come from. The NFL doesn’t have a hard age limit, just that a player has to have been out of high school for 3 years, so usually in practical terms the youngest players might be 20 or 21 after a few seasons of college football.

Beyond that, all the sports have uniform and/or equipment requirements that are sometimes taken more seriously than anything else (See the NFL stupidly issuing larger fines for players wearing their socks too low than causing some injuries) that would also prevent animals from taking part. Never mind, ya know, the way those sports are actually played at high professional levels.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 5, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Something like chess might have more specific rules to exclude computers.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Platystemon posted:

Something like chess might have more specific rules to exclude computers.

I'm no chess expert, but it seems like a dog could play under FIDE rules in theory if an arbiter judges that the dog counts as moving pieces with "one hand only" and that the dog isn't a distraction. The dog would also need to not bark, and have an allowed assistant to write down moves (and handle the clock?).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BaronVanAwesome posted:

And,

On the only sport I'm qualified to comment on: the rules of fencing has a vague line about "persons" taking part in a competition, but also a dog would likely have trouble with a bunch of equipment technicalities.

The first specific thing in the rules that a dog would have trouble with are specific callouts to thumbs and hands when describing how the weapon must be held (t.21.3 and .4), as any grip that a dog could hold would have to have some sort of assistance. There are a few references to "both feet", but those are in the context of going out of bounds, although there are rules on defining actions that could get murky if you have four legs. You also have to shake hands after a bout (not can get you thrown out), although we work around that a lot; we've been doing the elbow-bump long before covid.

Though really, the boring answer is that all sports probably have some provision granting refs the power to not allow things that go against the spirit or intent of the sport, at their discretion.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

So we need a sport that's really low on equipment and uniform rules.... wrestling? Some sort of martial arts?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Track & field.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
How could you ever teach a dog to shake hands

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My friend’s dumb dog holds out his left paw when told to “shake”.

What an idiot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

How could you ever teach a dog to shake hands

How to Teach Your Dog to Shake Hands

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Though really, the boring answer is that all sports probably have some provision granting refs the power to not allow things that go against the spirit or intent of the sport, at their discretion.

The whole point of the "ain't no rule" thing is that yes, the ref could stop it by discretion, but he chose not to. The opposing team's coach wanted to challenge / force a call, which he could only do if there were a rule saying so. The opposing team's coach can't force the ref to have discretion one way or another. So I would say "ref's discretion" rules don't count in this discussion.

Age rules are noteworthy but i forget, is air bud playing on kids teams, or pro teams?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

alnilam posted:

The whole point of the "ain't no rule" thing is that yes, the ref could stop it by discretion, but he chose not to. The opposing team's coach wanted to challenge / force a call, which he could only do if there were a rule saying so. The opposing team's coach can't force the ref to have discretion one way or another. So I would say "ref's discretion" rules don't count in this discussion.

Age rules are noteworthy but i forget, is air bud playing on kids teams, or pro teams?

Pretty sure it's a non-pro team. Not sure if it's school affiliated or some kind of other intramural entity, but seems entirely recreational.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dirby posted:

I'm no chess expert, but it seems like a dog could play under FIDE FIDO rules

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CzarChasm posted:

Pretty sure it's a non-pro team. Not sure if it's school affiliated or some kind of other intramural entity, but seems entirely recreational.

Middle school.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

fartknocker posted:

a player has to have been out of high school for 3 years, so usually in practical terms the youngest players might be 20 or 21 after a few seasons of college football.

There's no rule that says a dog can't attend high school!

Also I know that Air Bud was playing with Kids but Pro Sports were ones that people actually care about/have rules published and whatnot

Very good points about people pointing out wording on things like "hands" and "thumbs" that would totally disqualify a dog.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Also I’m pretty sure a dog wouldn’t be good at basketball

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

El_Elegante posted:

Also I’m pretty sure a dog wouldn’t be good at basketball

There was a really good movie that proves this incorrect

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dirby posted:

I'm no chess expert, but it seems like a dog could play under FIDE rules in theory if an arbiter judges that the dog counts as moving pieces with "one hand only" and that the dog isn't a distraction.

dupersaurus posted:

The first specific thing in the rules that a dog would have trouble with are specific callouts to thumbs and hands when describing how the weapon must be held (t.21.3 and .4), as any grip that a dog could hold would have to have some sort of assistance.
I assume both of these have exceptions for people who don't have hands or whose hands don't work though?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Tiggum posted:

I assume both of these have exceptions for people who don't have hands or whose hands don't work though?

The FIE (international governing body) rules don't iirc; wheelchair/disability fencing is covered by a different organization, and I'm not familiar with them. Looking at their version of that section of the rulebook, it's pretty much the same but they add a part that allows for binding the weapon to the hand. I think they allow for prosthetic hands of some sort, but I don't know how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I just moved into a place with a water softener. I've never had one of these things before. Problem is, it is cranked way too salty. Is there a way to adjust it? I couldn't figure it out.