Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be some Bioshock Infinite "Both sides are the same" horseshit

It wouldn't be 'both the right and left are equally bad' so much as 'she's not a leftist to begin with', which is why I compared her to Obama. That said it is really funny they nakedly based her public persona on AOC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Thundercracker posted:

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be some Bioshock Infinite "Both sides are the same" horseshit

I've been watching Black Monday, another Seth Rogan / Evan Goldberg produced show and based on that I'm pretty sure that won't happen. One thing about those guys, they aren't afraid of offending their audience

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 1, 2020

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I mean, that's part of the point of The Boys, that people with power end up abusing it and there isn't an all-powerful saving force that you can check out of with. Breaking that, let alone breaking it with electoral politics, would be downright GoT cringeworthy.

I like the Obama idea; that not-AOC is a Vought asset to diffuse popular dissent into a useless task force. It makes sense with popping the heads of people with superhero blackmail material.

As for spoilers: I've generally been using them for things from the comics that could pop up in the show. I feel there's probably been enough time for everyone to watch Season 2 and not worry about show spoilers.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I definitely don't see this as a "both sides" situation - if not-AOC is bad then it's because she's owned by Vought, not because she's "as bad" as Vought. My only problem with this theory is she has embarrassed Vought more than she's helped them, but maybe that's all about replacing their leadership under the guise of "government oversight"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best visual gag to me had to be the Marvel franchise roast and also the scene with A-train's retirement speech in the movie.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, that's part of the point of The Boys, that people with power end up abusing it and there isn't an all-powerful saving force that you can check out of with. Breaking that, let alone breaking it with electoral politics, would be downright GoT cringeworthy.

I like the Obama idea; that not-AOC is a Vought asset to diffuse popular dissent into a useless task force. It makes sense with popping the heads of people with superhero blackmail material.

As for spoilers: I've generally been using them for things from the comics that could pop up in the show. I feel there's probably been enough time for everyone to watch Season 2 and not worry about show spoilers.

I think that the problem there is that “power is bad” is a fairly tepid criticism with no actionable components. Power always exists, either have an opinion on how to distribute it or quit navel gazing~

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Power always exists, either have an opinion on how to distribute it or quit navel gazing~

Well, The Boys do have an opinion on how to distribute it, I wouldn't be surprised if not-AOC eventually experiences that solution :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea of a leftist “progressive” politician who is willing to ruthlessly exterminate or murder everyone in her way to the White House is a good character and a perfectly fine villain for 2020. She’s just like The Smiler from Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis, another seminal classic in the format of comic bookery.

Her being a Vought stooge is honestly the most boring route to take this, I hope she started as Vought asset but went rogue after she realized they couldn’t stop her.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

yes - it's more interesting if Vought is the "controlled opposition" for her than the other way around

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Story behind how Homelander's ending "I can do anything I want" for Season 2 made it back into the series after getting cut during season 1.

Originally they planned another ending but the show runners were able to pitch the cut scene as better ending for the character.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-boys-homelander-masturbating-scene-season-2-finale-cut-season-1/

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 1, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think this is a case of a situation where, while editors, producers and publishers often get a lot of flak as being meany prudes who just stifle the writers creative vision- it genuinely was a better choice.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some of the best moments of cinema and television were by happenstance or complete accident.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd almost toxx that the floating scene would be the opener for season 3.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

etalian posted:

Story behind how Homelander's ending "I can do anything I want" for Season 2 made it back into the series after getting cut during season 1.

Originally they planned another ending but the show runners were able to pitch the cut scene as better ending for the character.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-boys-homelander-masturbating-scene-season-2-finale-cut-season-1/

I literally couldn't read half the article.

"Yeah, that seems like a good spot for an ad."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Klowner posted:

Some of the best moments of cinema and television were by happenstance or complete accident.

The creative vision for this show for how someone kept on advocating to put the cut "I can do anything I want" scene back in the series..

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slowly binging this. Season 2, episode 3. Loving Stormfront so far though you know another shoe is going to drop. I love her outfit and have been trying to replicate it. Now to take a big sip of coffee and zoom in on her earrings.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Alec Eiffel posted:

Slowly binging this. Season 2, episode 3. Loving Stormfront so far though you know another shoe is going to drop. I love her outfit and have been trying to replicate it. Now to take a big sip of coffee and zoom in on her earrings.

:allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alec Eiffel posted:

Slowly binging this.

I have news for you - "slowly binging" something is called "watching it normally".

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Jedit posted:

I have news for you - "slowly binging" something is called "watching it normally".

shut the gently caress up, shut the gently caress up who gives a loving poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Motherfucker posted:

When I was a child words had meanings and it was nice to use words like “responsibility” or “figuratively” before Millennial idiots replaced them with “adulting” and “literally”

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

When I was a child words had meanings and it was nice to use words like “responsibility” or “figuratively” before Millennial idiots replaced them with “adulting” and “literally”

Motherfucker posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jIRiwlo.gifv

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

:ironicat:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Motherfucker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQwwPzuirqk

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The subplots about Vought cynically co-opting social movements was pretty on point, but one thing I wish they’d done to really drive the point home was call back to the explicitly anti-gay fundamentalist campaigns they were/are funding when they tried to cash in on Maeve getting outed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I am literally the same age as the people I am complaining about.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bust Rodd posted:

Well that definitely makes it better

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Not all grammar nazis wear capes.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bust Rodd posted:

Boomer is a mindset, not just an age.
I somewhat agree with you. Now please excuse me, I'm going to go outside and yell at clouds.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

AFewBricksShy posted:

Boomer is a mindset, not just an age.
I somewhat agree with you. Now please excuse me, I'm going to go outside and yell at clouds.

Those are fire-nadoes, not clouds.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Grammar nazis to the left of me, supe nazis to the right. I’m stuck in the middle with Hugh.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Hugh... is good.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

Whomstever wrote this post seemed really invested

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I just found out Jack Quaid is on Lower Decks.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do not particularly care for Mr Jack Quaid but I am enjoying this show anyway. I almost shut it off at the beginning though.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While we're on the topic, there's a pre-existing word that encapsulates the concept of "virtue signaling" and I keep forgetting what that word is. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I need to remember this word because whenever I say or hear or think the term "virtue signaling" I get uncontrollable diarrhea

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

liberalism

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pandering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019