Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah screw renewable targets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, there's plenty of legit issues to have with Tesla, but from a practical perspective the battery here in SA has way out-performed expectations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Also, as a QLD'er, I appreciate Palaszczuk ignoring Berejiklian's work together text after the election and only reply to tell her her state team sucks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Animal Friend posted:

Tesla is sham company run by a creepy billionaire and the Victorian government has decided to do business with them and it is disappointing.

*takes a sip of water*

Not really.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Compared to the poo poo Australian governments have wasted money on, a big Tesla battery, which has been beneficial for SA, seems not so bad. Elon Musk also definitely seems like wanker

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
it's frustrating that Musk is a huge idiot because some of the poo poo his companies have done aren't too bad. The battery in SA does work, so it'll probably work for Victoria.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Maybe Elon can throw in a tunnel and make it a bargain.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
the battery division seems to be legit, largely because musky doesn't have much to do with it. much like the bits of spacex that aren't a kessler syndrome waiting to happen or blowing up on the launchpad.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

Maybe Elon can throw in a tunnel and make it a bargain.

maybe he can put a holden in space

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Animal Friend posted:

Oh great Victoria is giving money to Elon Musk!

did they say tesla for the big battery?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tesla is full of stuff that doesn't add up. Constant churning of managers and legal representation, numbers of sold/produced vehicles always being off, Musk lying about all the services and not being held accountable. Their declared income for years has been suspect and based off of EV credits and not their actual sales- its a car/battery company that runs off of subsidies and not what it produces. Despite all this the company is worth a huge amount somehow.

https://twitter.com/StultusVox/status/1323653229658460164/photo/1

Not to mention the shady side of selling autopilot and the "beta" testing of it in the USA and how dangerous that is.

If the battery works, then great. But my point about not wanting the Victorian government to do business with them stands.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Quantum Shart posted:

did they say tesla for the big battery?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-05/new-tesla-battery-for-moorabool-victoria/12851698

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
sounds like another contractor is going to use tesla, so not direct but yeah gently caress tesla, but gently caress off coal fired power

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Animal Friend posted:

If the battery works, then great. But my point about not wanting the Victorian government to do business with them stands.

There's a battery install across the border that's working fine, just mosey on over and take a look... Oh wait can you?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Recoome posted:

it's frustrating that Musk is a huge idiot because some of the poo poo his companies have done aren't too bad. The battery in SA does work, so it'll probably work for Victoria.

It worked so well they just expanded it by 50%

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

It worked so well they just expanded it by 50%

And the unquestionable success quickly becoming apparent despite all the initial conservative opposition probably played a decent part in making the new SA Lib government realise that renewables were worth going all in on.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Musk is a prick but buying a battery off him sure beats giving Forrest or Rhineheart money for more mines/power plants which is what will keep happening the longer we take weaning off coal.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It isn't wholly a Tesla operation. The battery production unit is operated in partnership with Panasonic.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

Musk is a prick but buying a battery off him sure beats giving Forrest or Rhineheart money for more mines/power plants which is what will keep happening the longer we take weaning off coal.

yeah this.

it's a really dumb thing to get upset over.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Musk, somehow, does not ruin everything he touches

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
would be nice if we just didn't nuke our whole research sector from orbit, we could actually design/build these kind of things ourselves!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Recoome posted:

would be nice if we just didn't nuke our whole research sector from orbit, we could actually design/build these kind of things ourselves!

Outsourcing! Agile!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hambeet posted:

Outsourcing! Agile!

jobs and growth from overseas

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Maybe we’re not good at that job

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/italian_elon/status/1023974567352696832

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

Battery performance research has been incremental research for a large number of years with most of the gains recently realised by Tesla being cost and that being achieved through scale which is achieved by putting them into a lot of cars and powerwalls. If Australia wanted to do something over the last 30-50 years that would already have had us off coal/NG now it would have been nuclear.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

More friendly jordies style racist left wing content for shame

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

JBP posted:

why you no happy?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

mamma mia

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lmao

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i make-a the posts, i serve-a the poo poo! ohh!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Lord Bude posted:

Why LNP Lost the Election

Would the class like to guess where this article was published? Spoiler: it was the courier mail. Murdoch must be super pissed at them.
There aren't that many competing news outlets in QLD so it's a limited choice.
It is quiet heartening to see the knives come out. Although this is more of kicking a dead carcass that you bet money on to win a race.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
What was Friendlyjordies' "Yilmaz" character supposed to be? Lebanese?

E: googled it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5b7FS1nrs

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 5, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Wait what the gently caress, the dude is thirty one, he made this video in his mid twenties

I thought Jordie was like a gross teen, like Caleb

Is Caleb loving thirty?!

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 5, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

This is the correct opinion, cronyism to a weirdo renewables billionaire beats cronyism to a weirdo coal billionaire

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

Wait what the gently caress, the dude is thirty one, he made this video in his mid twenties

I thought Jordie was like a gross teen, like Caleb

Is Caleb loving thirty?!

Caleb Bond is younger right now than Jordies was in that video

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs

The original release sold over 6 million copies and was the most successful Australian-produced single in Australian music history for many years, with sales of over 450,000 copies. It was Australia's first triple platinum recording by the old count of 100,000 units equalling platinum status, which has since changed to 75,000 units, then 50,000, and finally 70,000 units.

JW drowned in February 2013 while attempting to evade police by swimming across the Murrary River downstream of Berri, South Australia. Police sought to question him over an alleged robbery earlier in the day.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody, mental health / cognitive impairment.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Did they make Caleb redundant?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

Did they make Caleb redundant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Stephen Kotkin posted:

Following a duce state visit to Berlin in September 1937, according to Albert Speer, Hitler pantomimed [Mussolini]. "His chin thrust forward, his legs spread, and his right hand jammed on his hip, Hitler, who spoke no foreign languages, bellowed Italian or Italian-sounding words like giovinezza, patria, victoria, macaroni, belleza, bel canto, and basta. Everyone around him made sure to laugh, and it was indeed very funny".