Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Playing Spelunky 2 and man, this ghost can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I told myself I'd try Spelunky 2 if they took the loving ghost out, since it was a bafflingly horrible design choice in the first game which was otherwise great.

They didn't, so I didn't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zoig posted:

I think the problem people have is that they cannot accept that a game they like is bad and that it doesn't invalidate them liking it. For example Hellpoint is a janky, buggy, messy game of a soulslike, but because the exploration is suprisingly well put together I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Or hey, i recently went back to try playing and finishing hover and its not a great game but the movement has been fun enough that i don't mind.

Just like what you like and be aware of its flaws.
If something is flawed but has enough positive qualities to outweigh those flaws then it's good. You can acknowledge the flaws without saying "actually it's bad and I'm wrong to like it" as you seem to be.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

If something is flawed but has enough positive qualities to outweigh those flaws then it's good. You can acknowledge the flaws without saying "actually it's bad and I'm wrong to like it" as you seem to be.

(Looks at the floor embarrassed)
maybe you might be talking about me?
(Shyly looks away and then looks back at you)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m really loving drunk

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Boxman posted:

The bad guys are trying to deploy a new technology that will literally let them mind control the population to Buy More Product, which felt a bit over the top. But given the opportunity it's also something literally every corporation would do so.

The personal side of the plot - including the end! - fared a little bit better, IMHO. Turns out Evil Steve Jobs adopted Faith's presumed dead sister and she bought into his corporate fascism, but when she has the opportunity she murders the gently caress out of him and takes control of the company. That being said, the entire story is a little hard to believe because she was apparently well known as the adopted daughter of the tech/security magnate of the City but somehow Faith had never even, like, seen a picture of her on a screen somewhere? I don't know why I'm spoiling all that, don't play Catalyst for the plotline lol.

The explanation of why faith got her arm tattoo was pointless, stupid, and nonsensical.

The actual thing dragging the game down were the horrible loving load times. I love to fail a 30 second trial only to have to experience a 10 second load time.

I've beaten both Mirrors Edges, loved the franchise, did time trials for fun, just played the hell out of it.

I just realized I remember almost nothing about the story of either. I think I just insta skipped every single cutscene and blocked out as much dialogue as possible. It was all just getting in the way of running fast :sanix:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What game spends the time detailing a new mechanic you have contend with, only for it to either never show up again or is immediately nulllified by another mechanic? Obviously half the stuff in MMOs.

"Steve, from now on enemies can chuck gas-grenades that lower your health and affect your stamina. Hold R1 for a timed interval when near a gas cloud to prevent damage. Or just craft a gas-mask which equips automatically and negates all damage."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What game spends the time detailing a new mechanic you have contend with, only for it to either never show up again or is immediately nulllified by another mechanic? Obviously half the stuff in MMOs.

"Steve, from now on enemies can chuck gas-grenades that lower your health and affect your stamina. Hold R1 for a timed interval when near a gas cloud to prevent damage. Or just craft a gas-mask which equips automatically and negates all damage."

The Council is one of those episodic games that had a decent first episode or two and then shits the bed. The premise is basically that you're at an Illuminati meeting investigating your mother's disappearance there. The neat thing the game has is that it has actual XP and skills; you have a limited pool of Effort and the greater the difference between your skill and the task difficulty, the more Effort you need to spend to accomplish it. So you might have to pick something subpar because you ran out of effort earlier and you didn't manage to replenish effort.

Anyway late in episode 4 you unlock Mind Reading. This gets its own Mind-Effort bar separate from the regular one and is played up as a big mechanic.

You use it twice in episode 4 and maybe once or twice in episode 5 and then the game is pretty much done.

Despite its many, many, many flaws I liked the general idea of The Council and would play a spiritual sequel.I encourage more RPGs that treat combat as just another skill check.
The most funny part of it, kinda sorta dragging this game, is the way it treats voice casting.

The main character is Louis de Richet. He is explicitly French. He has a neutral American accent, kinda New England I guess?
His mother Sarah de Richet, is also naturally French. She sounds like an older American woman that could be Louis' mother, sure.
Another character is Jacques Peru, a French revolutionary. He sounds like a gruff US Southerner. This is also fine.
Until we get to Napoleon Bonaparte himself in game. He has a completely outrageous French accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2JZ6oCqmkw

This game was made by a French studio.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Nov 5, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The grotesque art-style of the Council really pulled me away. It looks a like a videogame people would make and play in the Dishonored universe, where everyone looks like a mug and has enormous hands.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Divinity Original Sin 2 has weapon degradation, but it only happens when you use a melee weapon to break down a door. Ranged weapons and magic aren’t affected though, so there’s no reason to do that.

In 1 there was degradation on all weapons, and you’d get it from fighting. However you could repair items for free if you had a repair hammer and a character with blacksmithing. You could even repair items in combat, at range, so if my sword is about to break I’d just click Repair from a menu, and another character 20m away would instantly fix it for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AC: Revelations has a (bad) tower defense game that you only need to play once and can then avoid.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

piratepilates posted:

I've beaten both Mirrors Edges, loved the franchise, did time trials for fun, just played the hell out of it.

I just realized I remember almost nothing about the story of either. I think I just insta skipped every single cutscene and blocked out as much dialogue as possible. It was all just getting in the way of running fast :sanix:

The end of catalyst is dumb as hell. You grappling hook up a building with very little actual running, fight 2 sentinels (the heaviest armoured enemy) then it's cutscene, a brief run, cutscene. The last cutscene is faith running along a collapsing helipad. How cool would it be to actually run that? Nah, cutscene it.

Her sister fucks off to do ???? with the big bad. What happens to the revolutionary leadership was blowing up civilians?

The climax ends with faith standing on a chunk of concrete hundreds of feet in the air with no way to get down and she says "I'd like to say there was a revolution, but there wasn't. Nothing changed."

Why even bother with cutscenes and a story?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Far Cry Primal has an interesting idea where the northern mountain region is appropriately really loving cold and you are a mostly-naked caveman, so you get a limited amount of time between fires or shelter or whatever before you freeze to death.

Except it's pretty easy to unlock and craft both the tier 1 warm clothes which double the timer and the tier 2 clothes that remove it completely before you set one foot into the snow.

(The obvious answer was to require pelts from an animal that only lives in the cold.)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Not exactly the same, but there's that one town in Final Fantasy 7 that has a tower defense minigame that it goes to great lengths to hype up and asks you to come back repeatedly, but I never really got what was going on and just did it the once required and most people I talk to about it have no idea what I am mumbling about

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You do get rare rewards for coming back repeatedly over the course of the game, triggered by different story flags. Including, iirc, one that requires you to walk across half the world map in between talking to two people in the same room, or something like that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Similar to that, there's the thing in Far Cry 4 where enemy forces will randomly attack an outpost you've liberated, so it calls for help and you go help fend off the attackers. Only there's absolutely no penalty for ignoring the call and carrying on with whatever you were doing. I guess well done for not making it something that forcibly interrupts what you're doing like in Far Cry 5, but why not just not bother putting the feature in?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Evilreaver posted:

Not exactly the same, but there's that one town in Final Fantasy 7 that has a tower defense minigame that it goes to great lengths to hype up and asks you to come back repeatedly, but I never really got what was going on and just did it the once required and most people I talk to about it have no idea what I am mumbling about

The rewards are all poo poo you can buy or find elsewhere. You have to play the minigame in the main quest later on, only you dont have to win since you can just beat the piss easy boss afterwards. I pretty much hated every bit of gameplay in FF7.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Evilreaver posted:

I was just going to say 'every single minigame put into a PS1/N64/Game Boy Color RPG', because they've all got like, at least five, and they're all really excited to get you REALLY invested in them.

And one of them is almost always a fishing minigame.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It's time for egg delivery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZKcZbi1rg

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Far Cry just has the worst driving, and it's done in these weird cars with massive blind spots. The controls aren't great but they'd at least be fine if I could go third person in a vehicle, but no

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ilmucche posted:

Why even bother with cutscenes and a story?

hey man you tell me, I didn't.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

Far Cry just has the worst driving, and it's done in these weird cars with massive blind spots. The controls aren't great but they'd at least be fine if I could go third person in a vehicle, but no

I have so many memories of trying to check my map in far cry 2 and running off the road, or barreling into a checkpoint.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Ps3 and Ps4 versions of Vesperia have some stuff that never got added to the 360 version like a decade ago and one of them is this random rhythm minigame in the middle of what was just a cutscene that you never have to do again.

Normally the thing you're thinking of is like stealth sections. Golden Sun has an area where you have to sneak into a fort or bandit hideout or something and you turn invisible to hide in the shadows and then never again after that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doom Eternal's first DLC campaign released and it is so awesome in basically every way. It's the end of the main game in a microcosm, boiled down to its most Painkiller or even Serious Sam like elements. Giant, extended arenas full of every enemy type in the game in increasingly interesting or dangerous combinations while you have your complete loadout from the very beginning. Kickin rad visuals and music, and tons of thought and effort was stuffed into its every corner. It is clearly meant to be of the same standard of quality as the main game and in my opinion they went above and beyond the call of duty.

But oh boy does it want you to be at 100% far more often than I really feel comfortable with. I'm playing on UV and it's not that much harder than the main game so much as it is far more intense. Every single battle you scrape by tooth and nail because they throw a Doom Hunter, two Cyberdemons, Cyber Mancubus-es aplenty, hell a squad of six pinkies why not, and so on and so on. It's almost OG Doom slaughtermap levels of extensive. Even if I did drop down the difficulty, that'd only affect so much because enemy placements don't really change. And the DLC replaces the endlessly respawning fodder enemies with endlessly respawning tier-one enemies (imps/zombie soldiers/shield soldiers) in many fights, so you never get a chance to breathe or recoup between waves.

It's just exhausting to the point where I question whether or not I'm having fun. I like it a lot, but I really don't like playing it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Nov 5, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sunswipe posted:

Similar to that, there's the thing in Far Cry 4 where enemy forces will randomly attack an outpost you've liberated, so it calls for help and you go help fend off the attackers. Only there's absolutely no penalty for ignoring the call and carrying on with whatever you were doing. I guess well done for not making it something that forcibly interrupts what you're doing like in Far Cry 5, but why not just not bother putting the feature in?

I think it was a stab at fixing the problem where enemy density plummets as you clear the map out. Plus they get to double-dip on the outposts as setpieces, especially for players who stealthed it the first time around. Definitely clumsy though.

Retro Futurist posted:

I know "bad on purpose" is never a good look, but it definitely comes off like the driving is like that to create more emergent situations where you accidentally drive off a cliff and crash into a bear and then kill the bear but set half the forest on fire in the process and then an enemy patrol comes over to see what's up and etc.

...But then a bunch of the side content wants you to actually drive super fast and precise. I wonder if your momentum just disappearing entirely the second you bump into a small boulder is secretly a kindness to the player, but it still doesn't feel good when it happens.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AC Odyssey is annoying me with dialogue sequence repetition because it always defaults to the top option even after you've used it. I know it's technically my own dang fault for clicking too fast, but it's happening enough that it feels like a poor decision.

Also the waypoint/marker interface bugs me, it's a bright enough game that I'm often squinting and looking around just to find the little white icons blending into the background. I remember this from the short time I spent with Origins too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OK I found an even pettier complaint for Odyssey: the smaller foliage is designed to be perpendicular to the local geometry!

Even weirder when you shift things around to make them grow "upwards".

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
After spending some time wildly looping around planets in The Outer Wilds in my rickety wooden spaceship, I think I’ve thrown off my sense of balance in real life.

Now that I think of it, this could have gone in the other thread.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Evilreaver posted:

Also that random snowboarding minigame.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also those other 42 random minigames.

FTFY.

FFVII had:

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Minigame#Final_Fantasy_VII

* help Aerith climb to the top of the church by dropping barrels on bad guys
* In Mako Reactor 5 the player must press a button in unison with Barret and Tifa and repeat this until they get it right to open a door.
* squats minigame
* Stealth minigame in the Shinra Building
* Motorcycle minigame when escaping (which is also an escort mission)
* Fort Condor RTS
* After defeating the Bottomswell the player must give CPR to Priscilla
* Parade minigame (walk like a Shinra soldier)
* Fall off a train when travelling through Mt. Corel
* Chocobo Racing
* Chocobo breeding
* Downhill snowboarding
* Various games in the Gold Saucer: Basketball, arm wrestling, Shooting Coasters, Mog House, Wonder Catcher (crane game), 3D Battler (rock, paper, scissors)
* Excavation minigame in Bone Village
* Navigation minigame on the Great Glacier
* etc in absurdum

(Yes, I think some of those minigames were little things dragging that game down. I still loved it and played the hell out of it, even raised a Gold Chocobo, but I could have done without the crappy Golden Saucer stuff.)

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Nov 6, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

FTFY.

FFVII had:

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Minigame#Final_Fantasy_VII

* help Aerith climb to the top of the church by dropping barrels on bad guys
* In Mako Reactor 5 the player must press a button in unison with Barret and Tifa and repeat this until they get it right to open a door.
* squats minigame
* Stealth minigame in the Shinra Building
* Motorcycle minigame when escaping (which is also an escort mission)
* Fort Condor RTS
* After defeating the Bottomswell the player must give CPR to Priscilla
* Parade minigame (walk like a Shinra soldier)
* Fall off a train when travelling through Mt. Corel
* Chocobo Racing
* Chocobo breeding
* Downhill snowboarding
* Various games in the Gold Saucer: Basketball, arm wrestling, Shooting Coasters, Mog House, Wonder Catcher (crane game), 3D Battler (rock, paper, scissors)
* Excavation minigame in Bone Village
* etc in absurdum

(Yes, I think some of those minigames were little things dragging that game down.)

Ok
Bad
Good
Bad
Good
Doesn't actually have a fail state
Bad
Really more a QTE
Good
Not a minigame any more than 'crafting' is
Good
Terrific, if only because they're optional and the gold saucer is terrific
Boring

Notably left out the (good) submarine minigame and (terrible) play mastermind on a time limit and lose out on a couple endgame items if you fail.

FF7 has at least the good graces to (usually) not have much/any of a penalty for doing poorly, keep them short, and only have you do them once. The exceptions are deffo low points.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just started playing Hollow Knight for the first time since it's free on PS Plus, and I get that it's like a weird Metroidvania mashed up with some Dark Souls-esque stuff, and maybe there was something somewhere I was supposed to read first, but things that annoy me so far:

1) No one told me I have to fight my shadow to get my...Ore(?) Geo back. I was at 1 health, and thought I just had to touch it...so then I died and lost my ore, thankfully it's still early game, it was just a couple hundred, no big loss, but annoying.

2) The platforming is not great. I am constantly falling off ledges because it seems like the little bug dude takes another step or two AFTER I hit the jump button.

3) The little knockback from hitting enemies is annoying, multiple times I've fallen off a ledge and into spikes or acid because of it. used to it now, but it shoud'nt exist in the first place.

4) Maybe I'm getting old-man-eyes, but sometimes I find it REALLY hard to see an enemy until I take damage from it. The dark lighting, most things just being shades of blueish grey or white blending in with each other, and all that drat grass and statues in the foreground and background that do nothing but obfuscate seeing the IMPORTANT things I need to see. The little "rolly polly" bugs are the worst, they're small, low to the ground, and just the perfect shade of blue to blend in to the crap in the background.

Edit: Also the map is terrible. Yes, I have the compass and quill, as well as several pins...which is the problem. The pins for things like benches and vendors, and the character icon are too big and often cover up part of the map I want to see to check if a hallway looks like it leads somewhere else or not.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Nov 6, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DrBouvenstein posted:

3) The little knockback from hitting enemies is annoying, multiple times I've fallen off a ledge and into spikes or acid because of it. used to it now, but it shoud'nt exist in the first place.

There's a charm you can get later on which cancels knockback if it's still bothering you at that point.

For your second point maybe you're experiencing some kind of input delay, I played on PC and jumping was always instant from what I recall. Worth trying to find a fix if that's the case since there are some late game areas which have some of the most difficult platforming you'll see outside of romhacks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah FFVII's minigames/QTEs are pretty uneven. They're fortunately rarely important enough that you have to do well at them and they go by quickly, but it's something Square's always done that they've never actually been that great at doing.

Honestly one reason I'm not crazy about the series moving more and more towards real-time action RPG stuff is Square isn't really that good at action, apart from titles they published from other developers (Sleeping Dogs, etc.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There's a charm you can get later on which cancels knockback if it's still bothering you at that point.

For your second point maybe you're experiencing some kind of input delay, I played on PC and jumping was always instant from what I recall. Worth trying to find a fix if that's the case since there are some late game areas which have some of the most difficult platforming you'll see outside of romhacks.

I don't know, it's PS4 so not sure what there would be to do about any delay. I've haven't noticed it with anything else, fighting, spells, and jumping from a standstill are fine, only when trying to run and jump off the edge of something.

I would frequently try to jump at the edge of a ledge, only to NOT jump and fall down. Maybe it's a jump delay or maybe it's just that the ledges look "longer" than they actually are and I'm falling off of the "hit box" for the ledge/platform, but the "drawing"/graphics of the ledge are extending beyond the hitbox?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know, it's PS4 so not sure what there would be to do about any delay. I've haven't noticed it with anything else, fighting, spells, and jumping from a standstill are fine, only when trying to run and jump off the edge of something.

I would frequently try to jump at the edge of a ledge, only to NOT jump and fall down. Maybe it's a jump delay or maybe it's just that the ledges look "longer" than they actually are and I'm falling off of the "hit box" for the ledge/platform, but the "drawing"/graphics of the ledge are extending beyond the hitbox?

Actually theres nothing wrong with the game itself. Its just that in a lot of platformers you can actually jump while your dude is already partially off the platform.

In hollow knight the sprite is so small you cant do this.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

OK I found an even pettier complaint for Odyssey: the smaller foliage is designed to be perpendicular to the local geometry!

Even weirder when you shift things around to make them grow "upwards".

Yeah, it's something with a pretty easy fix, but despite that insanely loving common in games.
A lot of the time it gets 'solved' by only having shorter foliage on inclines.

In modern engines it's easy to fix in-shader, but it still demands that someone actually go through and fix the foliage to work with it, which is something they probably don't bother allocating the budget to.
(For anyone curious: Vertex paint the foliage, 0 at the root, 1, at the top. Flatten the plant. Then use a super basic 'straight-up' displacement to drag the foliage straight up, despite the base actually being tilted.
You can also use it to help fade in distant foliage by 'growing it up' instead of just suddenly fading it in.)

Another micro-annoyance in Odyssey is that all transparency-dithering (as you can see on the foliage there closes to camera, at the bottom of the screen, but is most obvious on sails on the small boats you can drive around.) are fixed, meaning you get these perfect pixel-dither-patterns on screen which I find really distracting.
It's super obvious on for example Mario in Mario Odyssey, too.
(Though pretty easy to alleviate by just bumping up the rendering res to 110% or more, which blurs them out. A nice thing dragging the game up is that it allows you do set the rendering % like that, on pc.)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nostradingus posted:

I told myself I'd try Spelunky 2 if they took the loving ghost out, since it was a bafflingly horrible design choice in the first game which was otherwise great.

They didn't, so I didn't.

Now there's a jar you can break that gives you a diamond but summons the ghost . Why yes, enemies offscreen can break it open.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I wish there wasn't level scaling in Oddysey. I worked hard doing every ? mark on every island, let me be a level 70 mowing down level 35 mooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hollow Knight is well made, but there were definitely parts of it that took some getting used to. The jumping, for example, did feel a little off at first but I couldn't tell you why. Likewise it took me some time to get the timing for attacks down, it just feels a little different from games of its I'll, but again, I'm not sure in what way.