Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Gonna be so hype when somebody tells Djarin to seek “Fulcrum”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

skasion posted:

Kreia is a Jedi master who became a master of Sith. She’s not a “gray jedi” or whatever, she’s just a temporarily embarrassed dark lord.

She then became a master of neither as she realized both religions had taught her all they could and she hated both of them for being subservient to The Force. In the end she was neither Jedi or Sith, she was a fictional character trying to find a way to kill the lead writer of a video game she was trapped in.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Realtalk I would be super down for a canonized Kyle Katarn, with a few tweaks. The character certainly has enough cred and longevity (I think Kyle was a non-movie character longer than Ahsoka) to be fully realized.

Didn’t the dude who played Kyle immediately retire from acting after Dark Forces and disappear forever to become a brewmaster or winemaker or something? Truly a Jedi.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hazo posted:

Realtalk I would be super down for a canonized Kyle Katarn, with a few tweaks. The character certainly has enough cred and longevity (I think Kyle was a non-movie character longer than Ahsoka) to be fully realized.

Didn’t the dude who played Kyle immediately retire from acting after Dark Forces and disappear forever to become a brewmaster or winemaker or something? Truly a Jedi.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This made me laugh.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
grey jedi is basically what the old republic would call the new jedi order in the legends canon

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Kreia was cool. I think Grey Jedi can be really good, it's just hard to do right.

She was a suicidal loser written by a piece of poo poo and her boomer rear end should be thrown into an incinerator.

Also there's no "light" side of the Force. There's just the Force, and when you abuse the Force that's the dark side.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mulva posted:

She was a suicidal loser written by a piece of poo poo and her boomer rear end should be thrown into an incinerator.

Also there's no "light" side of the Force. There's just the Force, and when you abuse the Force that's the dark side.

Now remember young padawan, if you let yourself become an evil jerk, you will become a member of the Evil Jerks Club.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just want to know when the Sun Crusher is going to show up

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Who was the old blind(?) guy you found on Kashykk in KOTOR? I think he was the first "Grey Jedi" I remember encountering in the EU and I think he was pretty cool.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Apparently being cool with waging huge rear end proxy wars and casual mind control is good and fine and anybody who finds that suss is actually not real.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kyle Katarn becoming canon in The Mandalorian would own tbh. Now I have hopes I know will never be realized. drat.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

teagone posted:

Kyle Katarn becoming canon in The Mandalorian would own tbh. Now I have hopes I know will never be realized. drat.

Timothy Olyphant would’ve been perfect for the role too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

Same except Dash Rendar.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Epi Lepi posted:

Who was the old blind(?) guy you found on Kashykk in KOTOR? I think he was the first "Grey Jedi" I remember encountering in the EU and I think he was pretty cool.

That's Jolee. Again, a standard good guy who didn't like the rigid Jedi dogma and ragequit, and somehow nerds interpreted this as him being a super cool GREY JEDI

For the blindness you're probably confusing him with the guy from Force Unleashed.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

I'm here to ruin your day. Other simple things we need but aren't happening: Beskar phone case, hoodie with a Mudhorn shoulder emblem

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kir Kanos

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kyle Katarn is a gateway drug that would lead to Mara Jade, Dash Rendar, Corran Horn and every other loving thing that's been mercifully fed into a wood chipper.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Madurai posted:

Kyle Katarn is a gateway drug that would lead to Mara Jade, Dash Rendar, Corran Horn and every other loving thing that's been mercifully fed into a wood chipper.

The old EU had good and bad, but most of these fall under the good category and I have no problem with them being reimagined into the Mando world or elsewhere. Like others have said, they don’t need to be brought over exactly the same, they can have updated back stories.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

404notfound posted:

And this reminds me of this old video claiming that Fallout: New Vegas was much more interesting than Fallout 3 because of the way it fleshed out the world. It even has a bit of agri-chat as the game tacitly addresses the question of "what do they eat?" It's a bit long at almost 16 minutes, but if you have Opinions on the Fallout series then it's a pretty interesting watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrV0tyOVKU

I remember that from the old New Vegas thread. I loved New Vegas and miss playing that game.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's literally farming moisture. Tatooine has virtually no surface water (1% in both canons), so they use the vaporators to condense it from the atmosphere to gather. It can then be sold or used by the farmers, including for hydroponics.

Thanks guys for the information. So no surface moisture but what about underground water? I could see a vast subterranean underground network full of water and various forms of fungi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mulva posted:

Regardless of your thoughts on Avellone Kreia is a good thought experiment on how a self aware fictional character would react to seeing the limitations of their existence and being resentful of the hand of authorial intent dictating the actions of people who might otherwise have free will.

She's only limited by her ability to examine these life restrictions through the lens of her own reality within Star Wars, so rather than raging against the author typing the script on his computer, she rages against The Force, the in-universe manifestation of authorial intent and a literal deus ex machina.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Dash Rendar when

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

unlimited shrimp posted:

Dash Rendar when

When IG-88 shows up and Mando has to be saved because he mistook it for a friend.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

unlimited shrimp posted:

Dash Rendar Rookie One when

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

unlimited shrimp posted:

Dash Rendar Wraith Squadron when

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Remember when they did all kinds of insane hilarious storyline gymnastics to shoehorn the Rebel Assault protagonist into actual canon

Burn in hell, EU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DogsInSpace! posted:

Thanks guys for the information. So no surface moisture but what about underground water? I could see a vast subterranean underground network full of water and various forms of fungi.

There's fungi and gourds and stuff that grow natively (including mushrooms at the bases of vaporators; Shmi Skywalker was picking them when she was kidnapped), but most of the planet is completely uninhabitable. The reason everything seems to take place in the same few areas that are all a speeder bike away is because that is Tatooine: every settlement is part of the same small area that isn't virtually unexplored, scorching desert. The new canon gives a population of only 200,000.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Dash Rendar when

Dash Rendar and Kyle Katarn team up with Din Djarin is season 3 to attack Moff Gideon's Star Destroyer.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Hazo posted:

That's Jolee. Again, a standard good guy who didn't like the rigid Jedi dogma and ragequit, and somehow nerds interpreted this as him being a super cool GREY JEDI

IIRC he was also hard-coded to stay exactly at the midpoint of the game's light side/dark side morality meter, whereas other companions would skew toward the player's alignment.

But yeah, "grey Jedi" as a term for "rejects the Jedi Order's particular teachings but doesn't embrace the dark side" is fine, "grey Jedi" as "actually the light side is just as bad as the dark side and we should stay in the middle and draw from both" is centrist horseshoe theory bullshit.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Grey jedi are stoopid now allow me to tell you why its actually good that Jedi canonically do not gently caress.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dash Rendar would fit perfectly he even has his own jetpack

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GimpInBlack posted:

IIRC he was also hard-coded to stay exactly at the midpoint of the game's light side/dark side morality meter, whereas other companions would skew toward the player's alignment.

But yeah, "grey Jedi" as a term for "rejects the Jedi Order's particular teachings but doesn't embrace the dark side" is fine, "grey Jedi" as "actually the light side is just as bad as the dark side and we should stay in the middle and draw from both" is centrist horseshoe theory bullshit.

Jolee's deal is that he's a cynic who got disillusioned with the Jedi Order's emotional detachment. Which makes sense given how he saw love and compassion being the things that ultimately redeemed Ulic Qel Drona and saved the Sunriders from damnation during the war with Exar Kun. That i can get behind.

What I can't abide is his pessimism a out the cyclical nature of Jedi and Sith conflicts. He admits that they probably should stop Malak because otherwise things will be really lovely for a few centuries but he's so resigned to the inevitability of conflict that he can't envision a future where all the work done to fight evil and injustice isn't undone to start the cycle all over. He still has issues stemming from the Jedi "wait and see" approach that allows conflicts to grow until they can't be ignored, rather than being proactive and learning to live with the consequences of one's actions in the immediate present.

Kreia on the other hand is fully aware of the cyclical nature of Jedi/Sith conflict and sees it merely as an extension of The Force dictating the life of the universe in an uncaring push for balance that leaves a stream of death and carnage in its wake that individuals have no control over. But rather than sit back and watch the cycle she's willing to take the most extreme action imaginable to prevent the cause of the cycle from happening again, even if it means creating a wound in the Force so fatal that it will kill or deafen the universe itself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dash Rendar has in fact already been re-canonized. Thanks to Disney’s mandate of “everything published by us is the new canon”, some tie-in book for Solo has a note written to Han from Dash where he’s his typical shithead self.

So Dash Rendar is canon again, now he needs to show up on TV somewhere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Dash Rendar and Kyle Katarn team up with Din Djarin is season 3 to attack Moff Gideon's Star Destroyer.

Add Ashoka, Rex, Aphra, and Cobb into the mix. There's your rag tag assault team. Then have Aphra double cross them all at the end after she ganks the dark saber.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Regardless of your thoughts on Avellone

What happened with Avellone?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

GimpInBlack posted:

That’s Kreia. The only party member alignment changes in KOTOR 1 are scripted, there’s no passive skew towards PC alignment until 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What happened with Avellone?

Got outed as a sexpest.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kreia on the other hand is fully aware of the cyclical nature of Jedi/Sith conflict and sees it merely as an extension of The Force dictating the life of the universe in an uncaring push for balance that leaves a stream of death and carnage in its wake that individuals have no control over. But rather than sit back and watch the cycle she's willing to take the most extreme action imaginable to prevent the cause of the cycle from happening again, even if it means creating a wound in the Force so fatal that it will kill or deafen the universe itself.

Yeah but that's all bullshit, the Force doesn't work that way, and the Sith are just another flavor of rear end in a top hat Jedi. There are vast swaths of cultures that are in tune with the Force that have gently caress all to do with Jedi philosophy. Rather than saying "The problem is me", she says "The problem is literally everyone else, who I will destroy". She's a punk, toss her in the trash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mulva posted:

Yeah but that's all bullshit, the Force doesn't work that way, and the Sith are just another flavor of rear end in a top hat Jedi. There are vast swaths of cultures that are in tune with the Force that have gently caress all to do with Jedi philosophy. Rather than saying "The problem is me", she says "The problem is literally everyone else, who I will destroy". She's a punk, toss her in the trash.

I didn't say she was right, she's just impotently raging against the constraints of fiction and she's pissed off that even if she is aware of being trapped in a fictional universe she can't change anything short of killing everybody.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm curious where this fits in to the new trilogy, or if they won't bother at all.

I think it would be kind of cheese if Baby Yoda ends up living some quiet life of obscurity if/when Mando fails to find His People, but if he ends up with "important" characters then it'll necessarily reframe the ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm curious where this fits in to the new trilogy, or if they won't bother at all.

I think it would be kind of cheese if Baby Yoda ends up living some quiet life of obscurity if/when Mando fails to find His People, but if he ends up with "important" characters then it'll necessarily reframe the ST.

The Razor Crest actually appears at the Battle of Exogol.