Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The bosses are the worst part of control and I wish almost all of them had been deleted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kly posted:

yikes
the devs seem pretty reasonable there though. other than seeming real keen to get the word into the game in another way...

Only by comparison. “I was working late and forgot to take out the racial slur” and “normally we don’t care about offending people, but we’ll take this one out” is pretty bad even if the end result is fixing that specific issue.

Steam forums are a cesspool.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Stickman posted:

Only by comparison. “I was working late and forgot to take out the racial slur” and “normally we don’t care about offending people, but we’ll take this one out” is pretty bad even if the end result is fixing that specific issue.

Steam forums are a cesspool.
Yeah, I mean, if you habitually use racial slurs so much that you need to double-check your game content to make sure you didn't leave one in there, you're a complete shitheel either way. God knows I won't be spending any money on that studio no matter how good their games are.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The bosses are the worst part of control and I wish almost all of them had been deleted

I liked all of the bosses and just wish they weren't relegated to sidequests.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I mean, if you habitually use racial slurs so much that you need to double-check your game content to make sure you didn't leave one in there, you're a complete shitheel either way. God knows I won't be spending any money on that studio no matter how good their games are.

According to him, he didn’t mean to leave references to the word in when speaking dev-to-player, and only intended to have it used by the troops who would’ve likely said that.

It’s a thorny one. Some folks would make the argument that it’s important to be period accurate, but my take is that it should only really have a place in a game that’s narratively inclined. I’d feel more uncomfortable if the awful poo poo troops said or did was papered over, but this isn’t a game that interfaces with any of the human side of war any more than the original X-Com, being a purely tactical affair. Which might make its inclusion not just bad, but worse, since then it’s only ever attached to success (killing enemies), thereby glorifying that poo poo.

I think the devs there are making a misstep, but, I don’t think this makes them bad people, just terrible with sensitive topics.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

most people play it for Misadventure

https://i.imgur.com/wiPfsng.mp4]

feelin kinda triggered by seeing this sequence again

cool fight - incredible fight actually, only barely topped by the Vault preceding it imo - but gently caress that denouement with a rusty garden implement

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hit me today while listening to a podcast that we are as far away from Portal 1 as Portal 1 was from Doom

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hit me today while listening to a podcast that we are as far away from Portal 1 as Portal 1 was from Doom

"The cake is a lie" is to gamers today what "IDDQD" (as a reference) was to me

:negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's a Doom

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Hwurmp posted:

what's a Doom

A CoDlike.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

what's a Doom

A Blake Stone clone

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's up with Spellforce 3? I always assumed these games were sort of a more straightforward NWN style RPG but the tags seem to imply it's kind of an RTS? Is it Dawn of War-ish?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

explosivo posted:

What's up with Spellforce 3? I always assumed these games were sort of a more straightforward NWN style RPG but the tags seem to imply it's kind of an RTS? Is it Dawn of War-ish?
It's a lot like Dawn of War before there was a Dawn of War, yes. It's a legitimate RTS/RPG hybrid with full RTS and mass combat as well as full RPG elements such as leveling up, equipping gear and assigning skill points. You get a number of persistent hero units (plus one customizable protagonist) who follow you through the game and will usually become an important lynchpin in any fight. There are also sections that are pure RPG without base building and will involve you simply exploring a map and doing the standard adventurer thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a lot like Dawn of War before there was a Dawn of War, yes. It's a legitimate RTS/RPG hybrid with full RTS and mass combat as well as full RPG elements such as leveling up, equipping gear and assigning skill points. You get a number of persistent hero units (plus one customizable protagonist) who follow you through the game and will usually become an important lynchpin in any fight.

drat that actually sounds kinda awesome

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

drat that actually sounds kinda awesome
The games are of varying quality, but I've heard nothing but good things about Spellforce 3 so far! I was actually just settling down to playing the game for the first time myself when I saw your post. I've played the others and they're overall pretty cool and great for co-op, because there's this multi-map thing where you can travel between regions with friends and have persistent characters the entire time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

The games are of varying quality, but I've heard nothing but good things about Spellforce 3 so far! I was actually just settling down to playing the game for the first time myself when I saw your post. I've played the others and they're overall pretty cool and great for co-op, because there's this multi-map thing where you can travel between regions with friends and have persistent characters the entire time.

I'm interested to hear what you think of it. I also just realized that Spellforce 3 came out 3 years ago and this is a DLC or something? But it might be standalone because it doesn't say that it requires the base game to play so I'm a bit confused about that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

I'm interested to hear what you think of it. I also just realized that Spellforce 3 came out 3 years ago and this is a DLC or something? But it might be standalone because it doesn't say that it requires the base game to play so I'm a bit confused about that.
Well, I'll get back to you about that, then. The new Spellforce 3 - Fallen God is basically an expansion campaign in the classic sense and you can play it entirely standalone if you don't have the base game. Won't have the original Spellforce 3 campaign, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

what's a Doom

ripoff of 3D maze game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All the Spellforce 3 games are standalone, and they also released a free standalone multiplayer component with the latest expansion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any thoughts on Othercide? The Sin City-esque visuals are strangely appealing, and I wouldn't mind trying a strategy game like this again

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Ciaphas posted:

Any thoughts on Othercide? The Sin City-esque visuals are strangely appealing, and I wouldn't mind trying a strategy game like this again

The permadeath is basically there to stretch out the content. I enjoyed it at first but after beating the first boss it grew pretty clear that a huge amount of the game is retreading the earlier levels which takes far too long for how often you’re expected to restart. I wouldn’t recommend it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Whoever is getting the new Zachtronics game Mobius Front, please post impressions. I like the look of it a lot but I have historically been too stupid for Zach's games

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, I decided to get back into Graveyard Keeper with the release of the new expansion, and this game runs like poo poo now. Used to run perfectly well, and now it's a stuttery mess that goes blurry when you move around and has significant frame dips on the reg.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Emdroneer

this keeps upsetting me for failed logo design only

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Dear thread, I am having a minor crisis. I just found out that Doorkickers 2 is currently in EA. The problem is that I greatly enjoyed the tactical puzzle game that was Doorkickers but the subject matter and setting was a bit, uh, questionable to say the least. The gameplay of DK2 looks fantastic but the devs seem to have doubled down on celebrating violent imperialism by moving the setting to a "fictionalized Iraq-like location" in the middle east and the premise is fighting "terrorism". The whole thing feels pretty fash. Maybe this isn't fair, but it doesn't help that its made by an eastern european dev team that seems to have a deep fascination for US police and military forces. Buuuut, on the other hand, the gameplay looks rad as hell. Hmmm.
I'm curious here. How else would you frame the game without making it look like Frozen Synapse?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not a fan of Steam telling me "This doesn't look like other games you've played in the past, are you sure you're in the right place"

I fuckin own every Zachtronics game Steam and I have 50+ turn-based games in my library lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not a fan of Steam telling me "This doesn't look like other games you've played in the past, are you sure you're in the right place"

I fuckin own every Zachtronics game Steam and I have 50+ turn-based games in my library lol

Since you played Opus Magnum, let us recommend Hentai Hitler XVI

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Croccers posted:

I'm curious here. How else would you frame the game without making it look like Frozen Synapse?
I mean, there are a lot of ways to frame a game like this without making it yet another game about proud white American soldiers killing generically brown people in the Middle East. Door Kickers 1 framed it as a SWAT team and for all the issues you could see with that take, I'd still say it's the better one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

as technology advances, I have come to deeply appreciate games with a file size of 2GB or less

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Croccers posted:

There need to be more games about robbing banks. Payday 2 made sixty trillion dollars, then EA tried to do a bad version of it bootstrapped off of Battlefield, then everyone gave up forever.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anonymous Robot posted:

There need to be more games about robbing banks. Payday 2 made sixty trillion dollars, then EA tried to do a bad version of it bootstrapped off of Battlefield, then everyone gave up forever.

Supposedly they're working on Payday 3 although it's been many years since I've heard anything about it so maybe they quietly cancelled it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Anonymous Robot posted:

the common theme of good video game ideas

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Spellforce 3 is sort of like polished jank. It's got a lot oddball UI quirks, poor balancing, and the AI is terrible (which they correct for by just letting it cheat resources without care). But it is a good enough game and is fun assuming you like hero focused RTS games.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hwurmp posted:

as technology advances, I have come to deeply appreciate games with a file size of 2GB or less

Haha same, I saw Apex Legends was on Steam so I thought I'd download it for a quick blast and its 55 gigs, man gently caress that

*goes back to playing spelunky 2*

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Personally I like the colorfulness of Spellforce 2 which always kinda defined the game in a way for me (among other things, like being a pretty solid RTS RPG crossover in a time where it was unique), SF3 is not bad really but lacks all the specialies of the originals.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The 7th Guest posted:

for me, the postgame stuff in destiny is inherently uninteresting and it seems like they just want to shuttle people right to it

like what gets people hyphy, doing the same raids over and over (most of which will be gone soon)? fuckin patrols?? heroic versions of campaign/adventure quests?? the fuckin weapon quests??? i don't get it

People already got to you but basically the game feels incredibly loving good to play, the PvP is extremely solid most of the time (every now and then a gear piece or subclass gets busted though) and the raids and dungeons are legitimately cool as hell and well made. It's the same kind of poo poo that drives any MMO player but with more actual activity involved in playing it. It's a looter shooter crossed with an MMO but also trying to pretend it isn't. If you aren't interested in the gameplay loop inherent in those two genres then you're not interested in Destiny 2. If you are, then Destiny 2 is one of the better examples of both on the market imo. That's what there is.

It's just not Halo. That's where my warnings come in. Play Destiny 2 because you want to play Destiny 2. If you want to play Halo, don't play Destiny 2, or you end with a reaction exactly like yours.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

explosivo posted:

Supposedly they're working on Payday 3 although it's been many years since I've heard anything about it so maybe they quietly cancelled it.

I’m pretty sure all of the original developers left because the Payday 2 publisher developed Money Madness and went DLC berserk. In fact, I think the developer or the publisher may have even somehow gone bankrupt?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, there are a lot of ways to frame a game like this without making it yet another game about proud white American soldiers killing generically brown people in the Middle East. Door Kickers 1 framed it as a SWAT team and for all the issues you could see with that take, I'd still say it's the better one.

That's just the issue with modern conflicts in general and cribbing from that. I'd say the SWAT team thing is worse personally, especially since there's no rules of engagement modelling in Door Kickers, which is especially bad for doing domestic operations instead of a warzone.

I'd love to see a modern military tactics game actually give a poo poo about RoE. There's one strategy game about counter-insurgency, Invasion Machine that has RoE features which seems interesting, but it's fairly janky. I just wish more games would do what SWAT 4 did, and really put you under the microscope each time you feel compelled to pull the trigger.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I've had DAEMON X MACHINA on my wishlist for a while now, seeing if it would go on sale, which it just did. Is it worth playing if I liked the Armored Core 4 games, and on that level of quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's just the issue with modern conflicts in general and cribbing from that. I'd say the SWAT team thing is worse personally, especially since there's no rules of engagement modelling in Door Kickers, which is especially bad for doing domestic operations instead of a warzone.

I'd love to see a modern military tactics game actually give a poo poo about RoE. There's one strategy game about counter-insurgency, Invasion Machine that has RoE features which seems interesting, but it's fairly janky. I just wish more games would do what SWAT 4 did, and really put you under the microscope each time you feel compelled to pull the trigger.

I would pretty much love a game that doesn't give a poo poo about RoE, America, Military or anything which is commonly associated and defined as GAMES but actually would loving blow my mind visually and gameplay wise (and would not be made from creeps)

still so much of an issue to visualize a kiss, after a million and one R&D manhours went in HowTo make violence really nice ~visceral~