Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Doggles posted:

Time for another one of these articles.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1322899884480016387

Let's see if we can find the secret to his success.

He's 56 now, which means he inherited $16,000 in the late 80s, which is about the equivalent of inheriting $35,000 today. He used that money to buy a condo at late-80s home prices.

The secret to prioritizing time over money is to simply inherit a down payment to buy a home when you're still young! It's so simple!

And how was the housing market in late-80s Seattle?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/data/how-much-easier-was-it-for-baby-boomers-to-buy-a-home-in-seattle-lets-adjust-for-inflation/

One Weird Trick To Retire Early: Hit The loving Lottery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

geaux NCAA grift!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Amazing how so many of these stories about Millennials making bank or Xers retiring early boil down to "I found a way to avoid paying rent."

So you're telling me it's easier to manage your money when 50-75% of your monthly income isn't vanishing into a void? Incredible!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Amazing how so many of these stories about Millennials making bank or Xers retiring early boil down to "I found a way to avoid paying rent."

So you're telling me it's easier to manage your money when 50-75% of your monthly income isn't vanishing into a void? Incredible!

but it’s even more than that because every single one of these has the part where they got thousands of dollars from a relative

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There was also that one a while ago about the twenty-something living who was saving several thousand a month and he was pulling it off by paying $500 for rent in a major city because he lived with something like seven roommates.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think my favorite was the person who was gifted a house for her and her husband, they then rented it out and moved in with gramgram rent free and used the savings to pay off their student loans in three years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey now they don't all get money from their parents. Sometimes their parents just give them an entire business to run for free, or like that one guy who founded a startup that happened to do 90% of its business with a large corp that was owned by his dad.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
And they get so salty if you point out their luck/privilege/definitely-not-common situation.

"What on earth are you talking about? I accomplished all this through my own hard work!"

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Weatherman posted:

And they get so salty if you point out their luck/privilege/definitely-not-common situation.

"What on earth are you talking about? I accomplished all this through my own hard work!"

"So how much student loan debt did you have?"

If their parents are rich, they wouldn't have qualified for student loans

One weird trick to make rich kids shut the gently caress up

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MorrisBae posted:

"So how much student loan debt did you have?"

If their parents are rich, they wouldn't have qualified for student loans

One weird trick to make rich kids shut the gently caress up

Guillotines?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

I think my favorite was the person who was gifted a house for her and her husband, they then rented it out and moved in with gramgram rent free and used the savings to pay off their student loans in three years

She also got a high paying job at a nonprofit her mom ran

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

bing bong so easy!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Accretionist posted:

One Weird Trick To Retire Early: Hit The loving Lottery

That's currently my retirement strategy.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

"Prioritize time over money" by having more total time by being born earlier in a place before it becomes expensive, simple.

If he didn't deserve that money, how could he have earned it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

From twitter

:chloe:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
just give him five bucks to do chores like every 90s sitcom jeez

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
sign that freeloading gently caress up for BusyKid

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

:(

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1323668040005898241

quote:

The winner of the challenge will receive an Echo 8, Echo Auto, $100 VISA gift card and 10 additional labor hours to use during Black Friday week!
Imagine what you could do with all those prizes!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

unless something changed, gamestop employees aren't on commission so working an extra 10 hours during one of the busiest weeks of the year is basically punishment

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought it was winning 10 hours of paid vacation.. I'm way too optimistic

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1323668040005898241

quote:

The winner of the challenge will receive an Echo 8, Echo Auto, $100 VISA gift card and 10 additional labor hours to use during Black Friday week!
Imagine what you could do with all those prizes!

I was curious: the Echo 8 and Echo Auto combined retail for $85. They're spending $185 on a holiday marketing campaign, and their employees do all of the labor unpaid for a chance at winning that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

taqueso posted:

I thought it was winning 10 hours of paid vacation.. I'm way too optimistic

If it were vacation hours it wouldn't be called labor hours now would it :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I was curious: the Echo 8 and Echo Auto combined retail for $85. They're spending $185 on a holiday marketing campaign, and their employees do all of the labor unpaid for a chance at winning that.

Now now, they're not paying retail prices, the actual cost is much lower. Especially if they bothered to get the prizes sponsored, but that hardly seems worth it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

they're hanging on by a thread, so that might be all they can afford :v:

i'm sure their recent deal to do something with azure and the surplus surface tablets that microsoft can't sell will turn things around though, especially in an age where a huge chunk of new game consoles sold will be discless thus killing their primary function of being an upscale pawn shop

e: maybe they will offer services such has matching people to their ideal funko pop or something like that

The_Franz has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Nov 3, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

doesnt that mean the manager can schedule 10 extra hours of an employee so they are less chronically understaffed?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

buying a few hundred of these to make my own hollywood shootout body armor kit

*gets shot in the thigh by a high caliber rifle, bleeds to death*

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1322981106539483137

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

boar guy posted:

doesnt that mean the manager can schedule 10 extra hours of an employee so they are less chronically understaffed?

Bingo.

And I'd be surprised if any of the other prizes ever made their way to the floor staff.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
it finally happened, several employees who were "furloughed" back in April were finally officially laid off. Their responsibilities chopped up in into several pieces and sprinkled about to pile on top of a bunch of other co-workers.

Instead of having an HR department like most normal companies, now we have an HR person for each department. Aka the office manager who now does HR stuff in addition to their normal job.

It is both depressing and completely unsurprising

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
A New Item on Your Medical Bill: The ‘Covid’ Fee https://nyti.ms/34WVJ9a

i tried this link in a private window and it loaded the farticle so i do not apologize if it is paywalled 4 u

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

other people posted:

A New Item on Your Medical Bill: The ‘Covid’ Fee https://nyti.ms/34WVJ9a

i tried this link in a private window and it loaded the farticle so i do not apologize if it is paywalled 4 u

Can't be a surprise fee if everything on a medical bill is a surprise.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Medical bills in the US are like the reverse lottery. Maybe your insurance will cover everything, maybe you owe $200k. Who knows!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

Medical bills in the US are like the reverse lottery. Maybe your insurance will cover everything, maybe you owe $200k. Who knows!

Like most things in America, you can just pay more and have it not be a problem.

You're perfectly free to buy the much more expensive insurance plan your employer may or may not even offer, therefore there's clearly nothing wrong and we don't have to change at all.

Rhythmancer
Jun 5, 2004
Mr. Saturn

Shame Boy posted:

Like most things in America, you can just pay more and have it not be a problem.

You're perfectly free to buy the much more expensive insurance plan your employer may or may not even offer, therefore there's clearly nothing wrong and we don't have to change at all.

The last time it was open enrollment time at my last job they were offering add-ons to the plans that paid out an extra couple hundred bucks in case of sudden emergency ambulance trips and hospital stays to the tune of an extra like $20-$40 to your premium every two weeks. I mean I already knew that the fifth of my paycheck I was already losing wouldn't adequately handle a real emergency but to have it laid bare like that with an obvious cash grab was pretty galling.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

bike tory posted:

Medical bills in the US are basically the first offer your agent throws out to be able to start at a high negotiating point

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1324301811331850240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Even people with good insurance can get hosed! Someone was telling me just the other day about a friend who had emergency surgery and it turned out the specific surgeon who ended up operating was not covered despite the hospital being covered. $140k bill or some poo poo. And that was with a good insurance plan!