Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I flew from Oslo to Tromsø on Dec 30 in 2018 figuring it was a 50/50 chance my car was ready for pickup on new year's eve :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YLEPFa750

Doug DeMuro has a look at the Hummer EV. He's surprisingly optimistic, despite not getting to see it in action

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw somebody posting on Facebook that they're getting so many incentives and stuff they're leasing a Chevrolet Bolt for $50/month in the Bay Area. Is that possible to do in Seattle?? Costco membership, loyalty / conquest (???), rebates?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

borkencode posted:

So in the last thread I rolled my eyes at this whole thing:

But I'd like to apologize, because it's only been two weeks since I ordered and I'm starting to understand the sentiment.

Gooble gobble

https://youtu.be/9C4uTEEOJlM

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

I saw somebody posting on Facebook that they're getting so many incentives and stuff they're leasing a Chevrolet Bolt for $50/month in the Bay Area. Is that possible to do in Seattle?? Costco membership, loyalty / conquest (???), rebates?

That would depend heavily on Washington’s state EV incentives, if there are any. California is possibly the most subsidized place to buy/lease an EV on the planet, plus I think the SF area has a county or municipal rebate on top of that.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Washington just has a sales tax waiver and I'm not sure if it includes the local portions or just the state one

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gwrtheyrn posted:

Washington just has a sales tax waiver and I'm not sure if it includes the local portions or just the state one

No sales tax at all in WA, I don't know if it's capped at some amount for more expensive EVs.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It's capped at like 45k for new cars I think. Do you know if my address is outside the RTA area, but the dealer is in it, do I have to pay the RTA fee for initial registration?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's capped at like 45k for new cars I think. Do you know if my address is outside the RTA area, but the dealer is in it, do I have to pay the RTA fee for initial registration?

I was in that situation, paid RTA up front, got a check from the state like a month later refunding it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

noooo pay for my light rail

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Cut my sewer bill in half first :colbert:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

heated game moment posted:

Was supposed to pick up my new Model S Performance this weekend but it was delayed bc they forgot to ship the car. Had to call them several times to sort out issues during the ordering process as well. They don’t seem to be terribly well organized but I’m hoping the car is at least ready and in good condition this Wednesday.

Delayed again! The story from Tesla is that it was used as a showroom display car in Hawaii and so it had to be shipped back to CA. I guess that explains the large discount I got and hopefully since it was a display car the paint/body panel gaps are good. Won't find out until next week.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Delayed again! The story from Tesla is that it was used as a showroom display car in Hawaii and so it had to be shipped back to CA. I guess that explains the large discount I got and hopefully since it was a display car the paint/body panel gaps are good. Won't find out until next week.

Well that sounds very frustrating. I would definitely give it a very close look before accepting it. When do you get it?

I got my car back from having protective film applied and holy poo poo it is so good to be back in an EV. They lent me a diesel A4 for a week and it just felt so primitive. The regenerative braking has kicked in now I'm over 400km and the range has gone up by 50km. It only uses the proper brakes initially to get them settled in and then switches to regen-only.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Finally, I’ve hear insurance on these is ridiculous and that might kill the deal for me entirely. Still waiting on a quote but if it’s $300 a month or more I don’t think I can justify it.

Any thoughts?

Only one source for parts [insurance companies hate that], and minor collision damage can result in a write off or a 20-30k body/repair bill.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

knox_harrington posted:

Well that sounds very frustrating. I would definitely give it a very close look before accepting it. When do you get it?

I got my car back from having protective film applied and holy poo poo it is so good to be back in an EV. They lent me a diesel A4 for a week and it just felt so primitive. The regenerative braking has kicked in now I'm over 400km and the range has gone up by 50km. It only uses the proper brakes initially to get them settled in and then switches to regen-only.

Supposedly next Wednesday but their site is still showing Saturday even though I had the guy on the phone change it.

Big K of Justice posted:

Only one source for parts [insurance companies hate that], and minor collision damage can result in a write off or a 20-30k body/repair bill.

I got an OK quote through Allstate, about $200 a month, but Tesla Insurance gave me the same coverage for like $140 a month. The jury is out on whether you get what you pay for but I don't drive much and hopefully won't ever find out if it's good or bad.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Tesla swapped G-Wagen anyone?

https://home.mobile.de/GFG#des_274732744

I cannot wait until this becomes the new normal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Same, but instead of a g-wagen I want weird cars like a suzuki samurai or a toyota century.

You can get relatively cheap old rolls royces, I'm guessing due to the combination of expensive maintenance and that the target market only wants the latest models. I wonder if EV conversions could make it reasonable to keep them going.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

RZA Encryption posted:

Same, but instead of a g-wagen I want weird cars like a suzuki samurai or a toyota century.

You can get relatively cheap old rolls royces, I'm guessing due to the combination of expensive maintenance and that the target market only wants the latest models. I wonder if EV conversions could make it reasonable to keep them going.

Friend has an early 1950's Bentley. We considered having EV West do a conversion but that's very expensive. Maybe GM's e-crate would be a better option.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VideoGameVet posted:

Friend has an early 1950's Bentley. We considered having EV West do a conversion but that's very expensive. Maybe GM's e-crate would be a better option.

Biggest issue with e-crate is going to continue to be where to put the battery. It’s a unitary package, and you can’t really break it up and put sections of it in discrete locations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

I would think some of them would be a nightmare.. Older British luxury vehicles tend to have a lot of motor driven hydraulic systems, which is the cause of some of those expensive repairs. Like suspension, brakes (not always a traditional assisted brake setup), windows (some Rolls have hydraulic windows!), etc. It could be challenging to get all that working in a conversion scenario.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh man, an EV Century or President would be awesome.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coworker mentioned today on a call that he bought a model Y and took it out for the first time in the rain and got water leaking into the hatch and sloshing around when he made turns. Also scratched paint on delivery and completely stopped functioning on the highway once and the error message told him to exit the car and return and it might fix the problem. So he had to get out of the car on the highway and walk far enough away that it would lock and then get back in for it to start working again. Also the tablet screen just failing to come on at all one time while everything else worked.

He said it had spent 2-3 days per month in the shop since he got it for various issues. He wasn’t even mad, just sort of amazed at all of the weird issues. I could only chuckle and say “yea, I’ve heard that’ll happen” every time he mentioned something because I think I’ve heard of pretty much all of it from reading this thread, just never all happening to the same person.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 6, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
EV Del Sol would be my dream stupid car

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

EV old rear end Lincoln Continental with suicide doors for me. :c00l:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

As a previous owner of a '76 Continental, you will need approximately 5000 lbs of battery to move a 5000 lb brick wall of a car 50 miles.

It's crazy and I love it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

MrYenko posted:

Biggest issue with e-crate is going to continue to be where to put the battery. It’s a unitary package, and you can’t really break it up and put sections of it in discrete locations.

The hope is that GM will be amenable to various battery shapes, especially two long ones that go on either side of a driveshaft.

Getting feedback on what people want as options/add-ons is a big part of the press release.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

As a previous owner of a '76 Continental, you will need approximately 5000 lbs of battery to move a 5000 lb brick wall of a car 50 miles.

Yeah, but that's 50 miles of style baby.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Coworker mentioned today on a call that he bought a model Y and took it out for the first time in the rain and got water leaking into the hatch and sloshing around when he made turns. Also scratched paint on delivery and completely stopped functioning on the highway once and the error message told him to exit the car and return and it might fix the problem. So he had to get out of the car on the highway and walk far enough away that it would lock and then get back in for it to start working again. Also the tablet screen just failing to come on at all one time while everything else worked.

He said it had spent 2-3 days per month in the shop since he got it for various issues. He wasn’t even mad, just sort of amazed at all of the weird issues. I could only chuckle and say “yea, I’ve heard that’ll happen” every time he mentioned something because I think I’ve heard of pretty much all of it from reading this thread, just never all happening to the same person.

Within spec.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speleothing posted:

The hope is that GM will be amenable to various battery shapes, especially two long ones that go on either side of a driveshaft.

Getting feedback on what people want as options/add-ons is a big part of the press release.

Or a flat battery in the huge trunk of a classic American sedan, plus a chunky battery under the hood. The motor goes in the transmission tunnel.

I want an electric Buick Roadmaster.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lemon law time. That's not acceptable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

ehhh, probably under 1,000 or so, honestly. with those old conversions I'd honestly be more worried about weight distribution.

KozmoNaut posted:

Or a flat battery in the huge trunk of a classic American sedan, plus a chunky battery under the hood. The motor goes in the transmission tunnel.

I want an electric Buick Roadmaster.

hellll yeeeeaaaahhhhh now we're talking. though the Chevy crate kit still has a slush transmission, these things are going to be awesome once the more integrated options become available as kits.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FilthyImp posted:

EV Del Sol would be my dream stupid car

EV CRX or convert an early Honda Insight, which should be rather simple.

That's a sub 2000lbs car with decent aerodynamics. Might get good range on even 30kwh of batteries.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How about an EV Lotus Elise conversion? Has anyone done that?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

How about an EV Lotus Elise conversion? Has anyone done that?

The original Tesla Roadster :haw:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

The original Tesla Roadster :haw:

I'm pretty sure :thejoke:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty sure :thejoke:

I guess... :smith:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

This may shock everyone but it was delayed again as they shipped it to the wrong location. Fortunately they called me with the bad news several days after I had already rescheduled it for next week (which the delivery team was not aware of) and scheduled it for next week

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

EV CRX or convert an early Honda Insight, which should be rather simple.

That's a sub 2000lbs car with decent aerodynamics. Might get good range on even 30kwh of batteries.

I think the Honda e is using a 35 kWh pack, so they’re definitely going for that old CVCC as a target and inspiration.

God an eCRX would be so drat good too.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

EV '95 Camry or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You joke, but I think someone would clean up if they focused on "restoring" insanely common cars with a good detail, reupholster problem seats, add some cheap head unit with android auto/carplay + backup camera, and stuffed it full of batteries. It'd be a lot easier to do this than to build a car from nothing, and parts are plentiful.

If you were going to mass-retrofit a specific model of car with the focus being low cost, durable, and fixable (parts available), what would you choose?