Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

sound

Edit:
oh... bad snipe. must pay tax

Tei has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
So a bit of less than great stuff about the cluster 5 Corona variant in DK: 11 cases have been found in Northern Jutland which has shut down and 1 case in the middle of Sealand. The latter is uhm... not great on its own, but more problematically it is a resident in a nursing home and it is "a mystery" how that person got infected. In other words, the shutdown in Northern Jutland is too late.

Edit: For the people unacquainted with the geography of Denmark, Northern Jutland is in the northwestern corner and the middle of Sealand is in the middle eastern part.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Nov 5, 2020

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pingui posted:

So a bit of less than great stuff about the cluster 5 Corona variant in DK: 11 cases have been found in Northern Jutland which has shut down and 1 case in the middle of Sealand. The latter is uhm... not great on its own, but more problematically it is a resident in a nursing home and it is "a mystery" how that person got infected. In other words, the shutdown in Northern Jutland is too late.

wowsers, not good

my brain is kind of melting as it ramps up the 'watch the early days of a potentially catastrophic pandemic unfold' on TOP of the already now almost year-long unfolding of the same thing. it's just inception-like layers of pandemics all the way down. maybe when you get to the core you finally confront the biggest pandemic of them all--systemic racism and capitalism

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
it's us

we are the virus

the earth's immune system is fighting back at our destruction

covid-19 + cluster 5 is earth's immune system

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

it's us

we are the virus

Yes that's painfully obvious and it's about time :colbert:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mod sassinator posted:

it's us

we are the virus

I feel like how inhabitants of a Simcity city must feel like when the player gets bored and just starts all the natural disasters at once...

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mod sassinator posted:

it's us

we are the virus

We thought that humans have evolved out of 'survival of the fittest' but turns out nature still applies to us.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Doh! Gotta relearn something every day!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
i do wonder though, if it mutates somewhat easily is that perhaps an angle on developing a novel and interesting vaccine or antibody for it? like just keep throwing it into a controlled mutation 'blender' and see if it can eventually mutate weaker but more virulent versions of itself. the hope being if we could spread this less harmful but more contagious version and push out all the other versions going around

but i have no idea if that's even feasible or a good idea with modern virology

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mod sassinator posted:

i do wonder though, if it mutates somewhat easily is that perhaps an angle on developing a novel and interesting vaccine or antibody for it? like just keep throwing it into a controlled mutation 'blender' and see if it can eventually mutate weaker but more virulent versions of itself. the hope being if we could spread this less harmful but more contagious version and push out all the other versions going around

but i have no idea if that's even feasible or a good idea with modern virology

Be honest: do you work for Umbrella Corp.?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

talking about covid is like taking a goddamn xanax compared to this election poo poo

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

People just genuinely don't understand that a 1 in 100 chance of dying is actually quite significant and far riskier than just about any danger they've encountered in their lives thusfar.

I hate to use the GAMER analogy but a lot of tabletop games use a d100 percentile system where a 99 is a critical fail and a 100 is a critical success. Theres a 1 percent chance, every time you roll the dice, that things go really badly for you.

You'd be suprised, after playing a few games and rolling some dice, how often that 1 percent chance of critically failing comes up. It's "Only" a 1/100 chance, but when you roll dice dozens of times per session poo poo happens.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pingui posted:

So a bit of less than great stuff about the cluster 5 Corona variant in DK: 11 cases have been found in Northern Jutland which has shut down and 1 case in the middle of Sealand.

did they find infected seamen

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Elderbean posted:

People just genuinely don't understand that a 1 in 100 chance of dying is actually quite significant and far riskier than just about any danger they've encountered in their lives thusfar.

I hate to use the GAMER analogy but a lot of tabletop games use a d100 percentile system where a 99 is a critical fail and a 100 is a critical success. Theres a 1 percent chance, every time you roll the dice, that things go really badly for you.

You'd be suprised, after playing a few games and rolling some dice, how often that 1 percent chance of critically failing comes up. It's "Only" a 1/100 chance, but when you roll dice dozens of times per session poo poo happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK4ouRWGHHI

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

covid-21 will be a mutated mCoV that causes people to explosively shart to death with viral plumes reaching hundreds of meters and the fear will be catching covid-19 and not being able to smell covid-21 eruptions until it's too late

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Gabagool posted:

9.9k cases in IL today, fitting a day after CPS released this lol

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBreaking/status/1324028158035845120
"Most" Most soldiers made it on to the beach at Normandy!!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
my mind is also going down the path of, what happens if it mutates something that sterilizes or damages reproductive organs permanently. that's a real nightmare scenario in the long term. imagine if people stop keeling over and hacking up cheesesteak lungs and just start getting better and going home. huzzah, we beat the virus! open er up, we all got it and its no big deal--this is just an endemic 'flu' now that we live with. ...and then 9-12 months later we start seeing an alarming increase in parents unable to conceive. deeper and deeper investigation reveals permanent damage to testicles that went undetected. what percent of the male population would you have to sterilize to make us go extinct? it's a curve i'm sure... i bet even something like just 20% of the population sterilized would drastically destroy the global fertility rate

ohhhh boy haha i'm gonna go look at other news

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

covid-22 will have zero mortality in the host, but the farts can cause death in others

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

wowsers, not good

my brain is kind of melting as it ramps up the 'watch the early days of a potentially catastrophic pandemic unfold' on TOP of the already now almost year-long unfolding of the same thing. it's just inception-like layers of pandemics all the way down. maybe when you get to the core you finally confront the biggest pandemic of them all--systemic racism and capitalism

I am actually positive. Even if the new strain escape control, we are on a "two for one" deal, mask will work for both strains of the coronavirus.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

no idea what is going on with 'cluster 5' covid in northern Denmark

need more information, but the health officials there are sure freaking out

the jury is still out on serological cross reactivity of different cov-19 strains and the broad efficacy of any vaccine, at least for me

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

poty posted:

did they find infected seamen

They just say 11 in Northern Jutland, no word of occupation.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mod sassinator posted:

my mind is also going down the path of, what happens if it mutates something that sterilizes or damages reproductive organs permanently. that's a real nightmare scenario in the long term. imagine if people stop keeling over and hacking up cheesesteak lungs and just start getting better and going home. huzzah, we beat the virus! open er up, we all got it and its no big deal--this is just an endemic 'flu' now that we live with. ...and then 9-12 months later we start seeing an alarming increase in parents unable to conceive. deeper and deeper investigation reveals permanent damage to testicles that went undetected. what percent of the male population would you have to sterilize to make us go extinct? it's a curve i'm sure... i bet even something like just 20% of the population sterilized would drastically destroy the global fertility rate

Humans have surpassed Earth's carrying capacity, how is having less babies a bad thing? If that were to happen we should celebrate that we're achieving fewer births without having to resort to eugenics

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

https://twitter.com/who/status/1324317309658386433

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Lacrosse posted:

Humans have surpassed Earth's carrying capacity, how is having less babies a bad thing? If that were to happen we should celebrate that we're achieving fewer births without having to resort to eugenics

nah the whole "we're having too many kids to sustain the world!!" was some horseshit 60's and 70's theory that was debunked: https://www.retroreport.org/video/the-population-bomb/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Anything that causes a high fever for a long time will have a noticable effect on Male fertility

Itd be an interesting world where basement dwelling faillords are the salvation of the species because they never went outside to get exposed to the ball buster

Googes
Sep 2, 2006

Not much bro, just dancin on a streetlamp
Whoops, up to six front of house staff out now

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

VectorSigma posted:

it's entirely within the realm of coronaviruses to cause the host to poo poo itself to death, so the next big one may not be classified as a SARS-CoV

tbh i think i could win the war even if i lose a few embarrassing battles

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

nah the whole "we're having too many kids to sustain the world!!" was some horseshit 60's and 70's theory that was debunked: https://www.retroreport.org/video/the-population-bomb/

less people would probably be good as hell but you can't talk about it bc the right wing will immediately latch onto it and scream about carpet bombing the kind of people who dont actually have much environmental footprint, so its better just to pretend overpopulation isnt real lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

we've added 6 billion people since the 1960s and now the planet is cooking itself. it hasn't been debunked.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

we've added 6 billion people since the 1960s and now the planet is cooking itself. it hasn't been debunked.

yeah but its only like americans and the slave factories that feed us garbage who produce meaningful emissions

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1324421486665490436?s=20

Apparently Ohio cracked 5,000 today too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pretty concerning!!!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It looks like there's a lot of uncertainty in the future population curve, and it could be anywhere from curving upward to curving downward over the next 100 years, but

shovelbum posted:

less people would probably be good as hell but you can't talk about it bc the right wing will immediately latch onto it and scream about carpet bombing the kind of people who dont actually have much environmental footprint, so its better just to pretend overpopulation isnt real lol

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

looking forward to next week, "Hamilton county is indigo status--NOT purple!!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

looking forward to next week, "Hamilton county is indigo status--NOT purple!!"

Actually, they'll just give it the red with a star designation

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the covid thread is my only purple bookmark

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
I really wish we lived in a world where we didn't see other animals as resources =/ things could be so much better

Please don't respond with "but bacon" I'm legit not doing well

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

So my daughter tells me that her boyfriends coworker at Dominos in St Louis is Covid+. They gave thim the option to take 2 weeks off or work through it. Of course, he's gonna work through it.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

facetoucher cat posted:

These are fantastic suggestions for healthy communication but the people who hold the belief that it's not a concern are exactly the people who golf until the storm is upon them then stand under the only tree in the field and brag about driving drunk and not getting caught
For those people, you have to get a little closer. While making crazy eyes at everyone else in the area--in a hushed tone tell them you only wear the mask when you're around imbeciles.

I do actually know a bunch of people that won't wear a mask and feel insulted when you wear a mask around them. With 100% seriousness, I tell them I wear a mask to block the mind controlling agents from the contrails. And like old Stephen Colbert, I don't break character. "The government is telling you masks don't work because Americans were starting to wake up. Its why the gubermint tells you to wear cloth masks and not surgical masks. The cloth masks allow the lithium into your brain!!"

The crazy eyes by the brother from Italy in this season's Fargo really has been inspirational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol fur loving assholes are going to cause COVID-20