Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

waxed canvas cotton is also a pretty nice material that resists water and ages well. you gotta do a little maintenance on it from time to time though

gently caress, why not wax some linen or hemp too while you're at it. wax me up.

e: stupidest snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
basically look at what people wore in the 30s and 40s before plastic was really a thing and you'll find kind of the peak of natural technology

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Is there any information on the structure of the mutations in the mink cases yet?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Is there any information on the structure of the mutations in the mink cases yet?

you already caught it. you are intubated and in a coma dream. wake up.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ain't gonna need cold weather gear in a large part of the world once all the clouds are gone

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

No. It is not clear what mutations are in the spike protein, how antibody binding has been measured, or how individuals are known to be infected with that strain and not another strain.

For 'cluster 5' anyway - a preprint upthread from September investigated mink / human transmission and found a number of mutations including the D->G one.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

snoo posted:

need better alternatives for fur and leather and such that aren't just made of plastic and more plastic imo

Fungus is the answer: https://theconversation.com/vegan-leather-made-from-mushrooms-could-mould-the-future-of-sustainable-fashion-143988

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Lovelyn posted:

Whiskey sending you loves

a good cat :3:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lmao

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Lovelyn posted:

Whiskey sending you loves

Awe! Sweet, good, kitty

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

imagine genetically engineered slime mold spores that come embedded in a fine netting and you wrap it around yourself and spray it with water and it grows into organic carbon fiber body armor in a few days as long as you keep supplying it with dead leaves and poop

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
73k already god dam

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

mod sassinator posted:

it's us

we are the virus

the earth's immune system is fighting back at our destruction

covid-19 + cluster 5 is earth's immune system

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

VectorSigma posted:

imagine genetically engineered slime mold spores that come embedded in a fine netting and you wrap it around yourself and spray it with water and it grows into organic carbon fiber body armor in a few days as long as you keep supplying it with dead leaves and poop

can i get a hat that's a chia pet?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Elderbean posted:

People just genuinely don't understand that a 1 in 100 chance of dying is actually quite significant and far riskier than just about any danger they've encountered in their lives thusfar.

I hate to use the GAMER analogy but a lot of tabletop games use a d100 percentile system where a 99 is a critical fail and a 100 is a critical success. Theres a 1 percent chance, every time you roll the dice, that things go really badly for you.

You'd be suprised, after playing a few games and rolling some dice, how often that 1 percent chance of critically failing comes up. It's "Only" a 1/100 chance, but when you roll dice dozens of times per session poo poo happens.

I periodically beat my face against bosses on WoW for like a 0.1% drop rate on some poo poo so I feel like I have a better than average grasp of probability

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

HycoCam posted:

For those people, you have to get a little closer. While making crazy eyes at everyone else in the area--in a hushed tone tell them you only wear the mask when you're around imbeciles.

I do actually know a bunch of people that won't wear a mask and feel insulted when you wear a mask around them. With 100% seriousness, I tell them I wear a mask to block the mind controlling agents from the contrails. And like old Stephen Colbert, I don't break character. "The government is telling you masks don't work because Americans were starting to wake up. Its why the gubermint tells you to wear cloth masks and not surgical masks. The cloth masks allow the lithium into your brain!!"

The crazy eyes by the brother from Italy in this season's Fargo really has been inspirational.

thats a good gimmick

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

snake and bake posted:

I periodically beat my face against bosses on WoW for like a 0.1% drop rate on some poo poo so I feel like I have a better than average grasp of probability

playing enough poker to the point that i got an experiential grasp of what different probabilities feel like has honestly been a very useful life lesson.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

I really wish we lived in a world where we didn't see other animals as resources =/ things could be so much better

Please don't respond with "but bacon" I'm legit not doing well

:agreed:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

my weather hobby has beat the reality of probability into me, as well as the futility of explaining probability to the average rube

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mod sassinator posted:

it's us

we are the virus

the earth's immune system is fighting back at our destruction

covid-19 + cluster 5 is earth's immune system

This is just the way the age of mammals fades. The avian dinosaurs are poised for a comeback.

E: animals are comrades.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
gently caress, someone was being given some sort of tour, which went by my desk, and he was wearing the stache:

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Oh my gently caress :staredog:

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I went to a place to buy a bike since my old bike is hosed beyond my ability to repair and got thanked for wearing my mask properly. i assume it's just retail forced kindness but like dang are people actually this bad at it? I mostly see people wearing them correctly or not at all. Bad fits all over yeah but not like anything in that picture

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

what i don't get is the people who need an opening or have to remove their mask to use a straw

i mean it takes like insect ingenuity to realize you can drink with a straw while leaving your mask like 99% in place and effective. give them a bendy straw, and even a dust mite could get it i bet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Frances Nurples posted:

I went to a place to buy a bike since my old bike is hosed beyond my ability to repair and got thanked for wearing my mask properly. i assume it's just retail forced kindness but like dang are people actually this bad at it? I mostly see people wearing them correctly or not at all. Bad fits all over yeah but not like anything in that picture

I live in Ohio, it's all performative here.

I see the sniffer all the loving time. The other day I was at the store and saw an employee pull the mask down and star talking to someone else. I've seen plenty of people who just eschew the mask (including a store employee a few weeks ago).

There are people in my office who don't even wear one at all anymore.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

*chip implanted*

what happens with the chip what does it do? flavors? whats it fried in?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1324449439176658944?s=20

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The thing is, there are no health orders!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i guess i can't really talk though, since i have not yet once tried to drink something while wearing a mask. but that's because i have not consumed a beverage in an enclosed area that isn't my home or car, a level of ingenuity of at least a crow or other advanced corvid

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

haha, gently caress you economy, im gonna die for some other kind of number go up!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

democracy status: preserved

Googes
Sep 2, 2006

Not much bro, just dancin on a streetlamp
SEVEN people out at work now

It was five two hours ago

Jesus loving christ

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

holy loving poo poo

we would never kill someone by beating them to death, we have technology for this now

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Googes posted:

Jesus loving christ

that's pretty terrifying, I'm sorry

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Googes posted:

Jesus loving christ

do you work in a covid ward?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

chrrrrist

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gonna have a good chance to break +600k worldwide today, looking at the current number (+480k) and the amount of countries not reporting yet

Also holy poo poo France is hosed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Googes posted:

Jesus loving christ

With how brazen people have been at my job, with only one known close call, I feel like I'm on borrowed time

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Googes posted:

Jesus loving christ

exponential growth is a bitch

i was scolding my parents too that all the bullshit they could get away with in the summer, when our positivity was less than 1%, will get them sick and killed as our positivity pushes up past 5% right now. they are totally of the mindset, "i went out all summer and never got sick, what's the big deal why are you scared?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

i have one more month of rent with unemployment i can pay. cmon trump give us more checks