Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Also can I just say I hate these "unified" Google app icons. Everything is a white circle with RGBY colors. It makes it so hard to find what I'm looking for while scrolling through the app drawer / in the Google folder on my home screen. And because half of them start with the word Google in the app name they're all in roughly the same spot.

Yep, extremely dumb icon redesign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The new Gmail icon keeps throwing me, especially on the always on display. Keep thinking it's some sort of media player.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Huh, I didn't realize that was a feature (I do use Nova). Do you have any recommendations for icons?

I like AMOLED Lines, simple and good for dark themes
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aramok.amoledicons

Not updated in a while, but covers all the basics and has spares you can sub out

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Sab669 posted:

Huh, I didn't realize that was a feature (I do use Nova). Do you have any recommendations for icons?

Flight and Chroma by Nate Wren Design are both good, Bolt and Lotus by JustNewDesigns are good too, and check out Durgon and Umbra from Vertumnus. Those developers all have a bunch of icon packs and between the three of them you'll find something.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Uthor posted:

The new Gmail icon keeps throwing me, especially on the always on display. Keep thinking it's some sort of media player.

The new icon looks so awful in the notification bar, I hate it.

The icon on the home screen or app launcher I have changed in Nova, but the freaking notification icon I want to change back.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Watch out if you're American and using AMDroid. It was trying to skip my alarm on "General Election Day" for some bizarre reason.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Watch out if you're American and using AMDroid. It was trying to skip my alarm on "General Election Day" for some bizarre reason.

Because the holiday calendar is by default set up to be skip days if you enable the feature.

WienerDog posted:

The new icon looks so awful in the notification bar, I hate it.

The icon on the home screen or app launcher I have changed in Nova, but the freaking notification icon I want to change back.

Truth. I don't care about the icon in my drawer or dock (though in a desktop browser window it's also terrible because no matter what your theme one of the colors will clash) but that notification icon with the hollow M is absolute garbage. My brain refuses to associate it with mail and it looks like a bow tie pasta piece.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Because the holiday calendar is by default set up to be skip days if you enable the feature.

I'm aware, but usually it's smart enough to only do so on days people might actually have off. It's not even a federal holiday.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm aware, but usually it's smart enough to only do so on days people might actually have off. It's not even a federal holiday.

Is that really the case? I thought it was a simple "If there's an entry, the alarm doesn't ring" filter that's there by default. It's a bad design decision in any case, that calendar has all kinds of marginal holidays listed and I feel like anyone turning on that feature knows that tweaking will be involved so why default to putting in a calendar at all?

I'd test but I do actually use the feature and have a custom filter for the calendar selected.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use Material Cards. It's kind of out of date, but adaptive does an okay job.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

So what is everyone planning on using when Google shuts off Hangouts? I'm pretty deep into that with both Google voice and all of my family using Hangouts. so I guess I should think about what are the other alternatives available to me now.

Hangouts will be replaced by Chat, which is already available for enterprise users. There's interop with hangouts, and the whole thing should be a pretty smooth transition. Chat is pretty much hangouts with optional dedicated slack-like rooms as well as 1:1.
I don't know what the Google voice integration does, can't really speak to that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Hangouts will be replaced by Chat, which is already available for enterprise users. There's interop with hangouts, and the whole thing should be a pretty smooth transition. Chat is pretty much hangouts with optional dedicated slack-like rooms as well as 1:1.
I don't know what the Google voice integration does, can't really speak to that.

Looks like it doesnt integrate at all. You get to use voice.google.com and thats it!

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Any recommendations on a text / markdown editor that allows you to access existing files in your Google Drive? I've been using JotterPad but they recently locked that feature behind a monthly fee. All the other options I've found either can't interface with Drive or are limited to their own folder structure.

Only option I've really found is Solid Explorer's built-in text editor.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If I want to locally host music files on my phone and stream them via bluetooth to my car stereo what are some good options? I'd create some playlists, want to be able to search by album, artist, play everything in a big rear end random order. I don't mind paying if needed. Previous to now I've been using Google Music but of course that got canned so wondering what's out there.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Queer Salutations posted:

Any recommendations on a text / markdown editor that allows you to access existing files in your Google Drive? I've been using JotterPad but they recently locked that feature behind a monthly fee. All the other options I've found either can't interface with Drive or are limited to their own folder structure.

Only option I've really found is Solid Explorer's built-in text editor.

Maybe I just don't understand what you're asking for, but what's wrong Drive's built-in document editor?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

tangy yet delightful posted:

If I want to locally host music files on my phone and stream them via bluetooth to my car stereo what are some good options? I'd create some playlists, want to be able to search by album, artist, play everything in a big rear end random order. I don't mind paying if needed. Previous to now I've been using Google Music but of course that got canned so wondering what's out there.

I like Poweramp a lot. Have to import/export playlists for it since it won't hook into the system playlists for whatever legacy reasons, but it is extremely powerful and customizable otherwise. I paid $4 for it many years ago and happily would again.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Maybe I just don't understand what you're asking for, but what's wrong Drive's built-in document editor?

Maybe it's 2020 and my brain is completely fried (all evidence points to yes) but I don't have an option to edit txt or md documents through Drive.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Maybe it's 2020 and my brain is completely fried (all evidence points to yes) but I don't have an option to edit txt or md documents through Drive.

You can edit the file by "open with" Docs, but that will create a new file with the contents, which probably isn't what you want.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

effika posted:

I like Poweramp a lot. Have to import/export playlists for it since it won't hook into the system playlists for whatever legacy reasons, but it is extremely powerful and customizable otherwise. I paid $4 for it many years ago and happily would again.

Thanks I'll check it out!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Another vote for poweramp. I <3 it. Going on 10 years maybe? I can't remember.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can edit the file by "open with" Docs, but that will create a new file with the contents, which probably isn't what you want.

Ah yeah not really my goal. Looking for something that would allow me to edit the files themselves while bouncing back and forth between them within the same app.

e: And yeah Poweramp is great. There was a brief period after Android 9 or 10 released that it was broken, and trying to find a 1:1 replacement was impossible.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ah yeah not really my goal. Looking for something that would allow me to edit the files themselves while bouncing back and forth between them within the same app.

How about this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.edit

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

I'll try it out. Thanks.

e: This seems like a good fit for what I was looking for. Thanks!

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 7, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I hope this is the right thread to ask:

What do you guys use for 2 factor authentication?

I was using Google Authenticator, but now my only backup device is an iPad, and the app is garbage there (no way to transfer accounts via QR code, like you can between Android devices)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

smoobles posted:

I was using Google Authenticator, but now my only backup device is an iPad, and the app is garbage there (no way to transfer accounts via QR code, like you can between Android devices)

I switched to Authy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I switched to Authy

Same

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

smoobles posted:

This is a nice open source replacement for Authenticator+. Paid version has an encrypted backup for cloud services and everything.

Also, always keep paper copies of the original QR codes regardless, Authenticator+ not updating anymore screwed me when the program couldn't sync to my new phone and I had to rescan all the codes into my replacement app anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Authenticator+ not updating anymore

Didn't realize. Guess I need to switch to a new service.

I need to go over my 2FA anyway and make sure I have backups for everything in case I lose my phone. It's been a few years since I checked that I have all that saved and thought through the bad scenarios.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Does anyone else have problems editing pictures with Google Photos' built in editor? When I'm done editing and try to save the pic I'll simply get a message that saving has failed and the photo is still sitting there in its original state. This happens for at least 50% of my edits. Sometimes, though not as often, the app will even crash completely and send me back to the home screen.

This is happening on a Pixel 5, but I was having the same problems on my Pixel 4XL as well.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

AlexF posted:

Does anyone else have problems editing pictures with Google Photos' built in editor? When I'm done editing and try to save the pic I'll simply get a message that saving has failed and the photo is still sitting there in its original state. This happens for at least 50% of my edits. Sometimes, though not as often, the app will even crash completely and send me back to the home screen.

This is happening on a Pixel 5, but I was having the same problems on my Pixel 4XL as well.

I actually had the 'saving has failed' error happen to me yesterday. That was literally the only time in however long I've used Google Photos that it's given me any sort of an issue though. I send a lot of stupid memes and screenshots to my boyfriend, and cropping them is about 90% of my Photos use.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never had a problem saving edits in Google photos. It's been flawless for me.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

AlexF posted:

this has been happening to me on my pixel 2 lately. probably closer to 20% of the time for me, though

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Installed Authy
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.authy.authy

Why is it asking for my phone number?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's what it uses as an account

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's what it uses as an account

So it's storing my data on a server associated with that number?

What happens if your number changes?

I guess I should find a FAQ.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I use Aegis, free and open source and to the point.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Pvt. Parts posted:

I use Aegis, free and open source and to the point.

drat, that looks nice especially compared to Authy. If only I had root or there were some other way to transfer all my 2FA tokens.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Aegis and AndOTP are great open sourced choices.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I keep almost all of my OTP codes in Bitwarden and use WinAuth on my desktop for my Bitwarden code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Since Google Play Music was murdered, I've switched to using Poweramp, which is great. Only thing I miss is the instant playlist function, whatever it was called. I've got all my music stored on my phone and I don't want to pay for any subscription service.

Any apps that provide that functionality?