Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

I remember back when Pritzker got elected that he was talking about how, if they couldn't get the amendment through, he was going to look at implementing a bunch of tax credits in order to One Weird Trick his way to a graduated rate. Is that still on the table or nah? (Guessing this is also a scenario where Kilbride's recall becomes distressingly relevant.)

There are some tricks that can be played with a flat tax.

For one thing, the exemption amounts could be raised alongside a tax rate increase, which would effectively lower the taxes of people at very low income levels. They could probably also tax retirement income at some low rate like 2% which would be very unpopular with olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

In hindsight, Prtizker should have raised the flat rate first, and then told everyone that the fair tax amendment would result in their taxes going back down. I guess we needed a reminder that the state can raise taxes whenever they want.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

In hindsight, Prtizker should have raised the flat rate first, and then told everyone that the fair tax amendment would result in their taxes going back down. I guess we needed a reminder that the state can raise taxes whenever they want.

He could still do that and put a referendum on the ballot next year couldn’t he? Call it the ‘raise Pritzker’s taxes and cut yours instead’ amendment

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Lol, the idiots in this state would fall for that and it would rule.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

They could probably also tax retirement income at some low rate like 2% which would be very unpopular with olds.

They need to tax retirement income because half of the anti fair tax was lies about taxing retirement income. If the state doesn't turn around and tax it, the Republicans will know they can lie every election and face no consequences.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea. It’s time to take one of those ads and make every fearmongering lie from it come true. gently caress it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea. It’s time to take one of those ads and make every fearmongering lie from it come true. gently caress it.

Seriously show them as the liars they are and when you pull the ‘raise Pritzker’s taxes and lower yours’ amendment they won’t believe a word the republicans say.

Bonus if it makes the chuds move out and hits those retired trustees with three pensions.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Looks like Underwood gained a couple hundred votes since I last checked, but somehow Oberweis' numbers are completely unchanged? Weird, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Bustos won her election.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Looks like Underwood gained a couple hundred votes since I last checked, but somehow Oberweis' numbers are completely unchanged? Weird, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Mail in votes were heavily encouraged by Dems and Trump told all his voters not to trust them (unless they lived in Florida) so no, not really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Per a friend's link, looks like some counties and cities aren't going to be adhering to the new covid restrictions:

https://www.wqad.com/article/news/l...05-ef660e62a053

https://www.galesburg.com/news/20201102/galesburg-wonrsquot-enforce-new-bar-restaurant-restrictions

Thanks for taking the heat off of Blo/No and willingly becoming the new IL covid hotbed, guys

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Any chance the Fair Tax Amendment flips to “yes” due to late arriving mail-in ballots?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

LabyaMynora posted:

Any chance the Fair Tax Amendment flips to “yes” due to late arriving mail-in ballots?

absolutely not, its like a 15 point gap.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
doublepost: pritzker and durbin both want to get rid of madigan.

https://twitter.com/ad_quig/status/1324457857836867584

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah he’s definitely overstayed his welcome. They probably want him out before he gets indicted for real.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Loyalty is getting too expensive; anyone with a modicum of self-interest is ready to cut bait and hope nobody notices.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Stacy Davis-Gates was low-key defending him at a UWF meeting. I wonder what CTU is trying to push through in the veto session.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lmao, Arizona passed a graduated tax and we couldn't

https://twitter.com/_MelissaEgan/status/1324552120255705091

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Could Illinois try the “surcharge” route to get around the constitution?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Thank god I only intend to live here temporarily

(:ohdear:)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

FBS posted:

Thank god I only intend to live here temporarily

(:ohdear:)

You’ll learn to have a v healthy Stockholm syndrome with Illinois’s corrupt politics soon enough and not want it any other way.

e: especially if you’re in Chicago, and if not, I encourage the temporarily bit

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm in the suburbs of Rockford :shepicide:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Arizona already taxes retirement income, so the billionaires couldn't scare the olds into voting against a progressive tax.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

FBS posted:

I'm in the suburbs of Rockford :shepicide:

Loves Park or Machesney Park?

I'm over near Rockford Speedway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

Putting specific numbers like 3.5% over 250k right into the amendment might have helped.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

https://twitter.com/allymarotti/status/1324852064288153606?s=21

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

WescottF1 posted:

Loves Park or Machesney Park?

I'm over near Rockford Speedway.

Poplar Grove, actually. By DFW standards that's a suburban distance away from downtown Rockford even if you do have to drive past some farmland to get there.

I applied for my IL drivers license today and I was impressed at how well things were running at the SOS office mid-pandemic, it seemed a lot less chaotic than the Dallas DMV I visited in August.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Poplar Grove, actually. By DFW standards that's a suburban distance away from downtown Rockford even if you do have to drive past some farmland to get there.

I applied for my IL drivers license today and I was impressed at how well things were running at the SOS office mid-pandemic, it seemed a lot less chaotic than the Dallas DMV I visited in August.

drat, based on the SoS locations in Cook county I should drive to Rockford to get my DL renewed

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That bodes well for their case. Hope it wasn’t a lunch meeting!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This makes me real happy. I'm an idiot for thinking Oberweis would ever win a race.

https://twitter.com/MarkMaxwellTV/status/1324921256173592577

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lol way to make your case, people.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

KDdidit posted:

drat, based on the SoS locations in Cook county I should drive to Rockford to get my DL renewed

I mean don't get me wrong, it still took an hour. At least the weather was nice while we stood outside waiting for our number to be called

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I usually went to the Belvedere DMV to get poo poo done. Orders of magnitude quicker.

But I lived on the east side of Rockford closer to like where the Clock Tower used to be.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Niwrad posted:

This makes me real happy. I'm an idiot for thinking Oberweis would ever win a race.

Check the replies, the numbers that tweet is reacting to are very old, like sometime on election night old. She's been slooowly closing the gap since then, but she's still down ~600 votes atm.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Damnit people don’t get my hopes up for Underwood. Can’t believe Oberweis even stood a chance there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FBS posted:

Every tiny city of 6k people in Illinois has a DMV and those usually have zero wait time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DuPage may be blue now but the chuds still making their presence felt. Wife was doing errands around Wheaton and some bro in a MAGA was walking around yelling at people in masks, called my wife a whore. :iiam:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

My wife just got home from work at a hospital in DuPage, they’re up to 70 COVID patients. When it was the worst in Spring, I don’t think they got higher than 65.

Winter is coming. :smith:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Niwrad posted:

Hahaha hell yes gently caress this fat bitch what a loving loser.

Edit: goddamn it i still hope he loving loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

DuPage may be blue now but the chuds still making their presence felt. Wife was doing errands around Wheaton and some bro in a MAGA was walking around yelling at people in masks, called my wife a whore. :iiam:

There's a big Trump crew at the off-leash dog park. You can tell because it's on all their loving hats.