Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Damanation posted:

The unwillingness to use charged shots drives me crazy

Extremely :same:, I've always been really conservative with missiles in these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Metroid Fusion is "Missiles: The Game' but still yeah, never don't be charging. Plasma beam basically makes missiles obsolete with the damage buff.

Still, Nightmare is easily the hardest part of the game, and even while being good at space jump (which Nat is, as long as he's not talking about it) it's still hard to dodge. After that I can't really criticize; it might not be how I'd ever even think to play, but he's getting through just fine.

I was a little worried he wouldn't pick up on "always be power bombing" but maybe I wasn't giving him enough credit. I think Nat's biggest problem with these games is he knows things going in that you're not supposed to and it inappropriately colours his expectations of what to do. As I think I said in the SM lp, Tea has the patience of a saint. I'm a little mad he didn't let Nat get got by the pre-Nightmare trap, though it was probably for the best re: Nat's cartioid integrity.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Damanation posted:

The unwillingness to use charged shots drives me crazy

Sorry, but Tea CLEARLY said in an earlier episode "you don't ALWAYS need to charge", and Nat took that to heart by never charging anymore.
When he DOES listen to advice for once you people are still mad.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

And why did Tea say that? Because he wanted to hear the music and also the charge beam sound would get annoying.
I'd rather listen to the charge beam sound than Nat's extremely wrong opinions on the space jump.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A charged plasma beam hits harder than the missiles, but the missiles are worth more DPS. The rate you can chuck them out means that by the time I've charged a plasma beam I've fired five or six missiles. If I'd used the plasma beam on Nightmare phase 2 I would never have beaten him.

And yeah in the rest of the game I got specifically told to stop charging so I did! It took a lot to shut off my Mega Man instincts!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

A charged plasma beam hits harder than the missiles, but the missiles are worth more DPS. The rate you can chuck them out means that by the time I've charged a plasma beam I've fired five or six missiles. If I'd used the plasma beam on Nightmare phase 2 I would never have beaten him.

And yeah in the rest of the game I got specifically told to stop charging so I did! It took a lot to shut off my Mega Man instincts!

Which is why you charge a plasma shot during offtimes and switch to missile spam after that shot.

If you switch to missiles when a charge shot is ready, the shot gets fired and then you can spam attack for the barrage of beautiful, beautiful* explosive death.

*beauty may be in the eye of the beholder.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

There are no Beholders in this game

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well duh. They all beheld Samus's missiles warhead first.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Missiles have higher dps vs charged beams and are totally the right call for Nightmare phase 3, but there are a lot of enemies that can be taken out by a single charged plasma like them merpirates. For anything vulnerable to uncharged beams plasma takes the lead since you always need at least two missiles.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Don't forget that the charge beam in Fusion has that flare when you fire it, which is basically worth an entire shot by itself. So point blank charge shots are much more effective than firing from a distance.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A Saxtet of clones.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
That reveal. It's been almost two decades since I last played this game, and the memory of that reveal still makes my blood run cold. :allears:

Some time after this game had been out for awhile, on a different forum I was on, I remember people discussing it and other Metroid games, and I remember quite a few people talking about how much the reveal of the frozen Ridley terrified them when they ran across it (one person even claimed to have been so startled by it that they threw their GBA across the room). Me? I didn't give a poo poo about Ridley. I killed Ridley back in Super Metroid. Ridley's a chump.

But the SA-X? The thing that's been hunting me all game, has all of my powers, has relentlessly stalked me while I've been unable to do anything besides run and hide from it? That thing terrified me. And then after I finally manage to dispose of the drat thing through dumb luck, you tell me that there's been MORE THAN ONE OF THE GODDAMN THINGS RUNNING AROUND THE STATION THIS WHOLE TIME?! :gonk:

This game is so goddamn good. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too loved the reveal. the first time before Other M tucked itself between Super Metroid and this and makes Samus retroactively stupider for not connecting the exact same dots while exploring the exact same premise.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What does the speedrun strat for BOX look like here? I recall back in the heyday of GameFAQs everyone recommended the safe strat that Natural20 figured out. I've never beaten this boss any other way. But I wonder what other options there are.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

FeyerbrandX posted:

I too loved the reveal. the first time before Other M tucked itself between Super Metroid and this and makes Samus retroactively stupider for not connecting the exact same dots while exploring the exact same premise.

I mean, Samus never said that she didn't figure it out beforehand. She only responded with ............ until the SA-X reveal.

NGDBSS posted:

What does the speedrun strat for BOX look like here? I recall back in the heyday of GameFAQs everyone recommended the safe strat that Natural20 figured out. I've never beaten this boss any other way. But I wonder what other options there are.

From some speedrun videos I just watched, angled shots and having B.O.X. go under you to make him stop his jumping/running.

But the real speedrun strat shown at AGDQ2019 uses memory editing to end the game early, right after getting power bombs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXvWYFgeUA

At about 49:30.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 5, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I honestly thought you would fail that Restricted Lab escape sequence on your first try, so good job!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the diffusion missile is really cool and i wish more metroid games had it

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

WHAT?! NOOOOO :allears:

That reveal still blows me away. Such a great 1-2-10?! punch straight to the gut that's both totally obvious and yet still shocking enough you can feel your stomach sink two feet as the game lands an uppercut

Like, even the obvious incoming Ridley fight doesn't even register in your braincells after that sequence!

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 5, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I honestly can't believe how well done that reveal was. I'm not going to say it turned the entire game for me because by the time I got to the security robot I was having a lot of fun again but it did a lot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What did you expect Samus? You know the X reproduce by asexual division.

You get setup to think theres just the one SA-X, and youre more inclined to think that thanks to the conventions of gaming, and all X infected bosses thus far being unique craetures. ...but you also keep getting told the X are parasitic shapeshifters with a hive mind with a growing ability to learn, so why would there only be one?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
A couple of things for you all to make fun of twelve year old me for:

1) I actually failed at the restricted area escape sequence my first attempt. Naturally, I hadn't saved after the robot fight.

2) I was a little surprised that Nintendo allowed the word "sex" in one of their games.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Has anyone ever actually managed to get back up through that narrow pathway in the BOX fight room and talk to Adam without going to the restricted area? I'm guessing no, since not even Power Bombs can break the regenerating blocks, but on the other hand, the alternate route mentioned back to the navigation room after Nightmare is all kinds of crazy, so I'm open minded enough to think that someone somewhere has done some weird nonsense, and that's not even getting into the glitched alternate routes you can take that will gently caress the game's progression royally.

Also, the reason Goku Black goes by Super Saiyan Rose, is as was discussed in your Castlevania VLP, all the gods of destruction and their angel attendants are named after different forms of booze, and naming his Super Saiyan form after Rose liquor was his way to count himself as one of them.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Really enjoyed you talking about Dragonball for some reason.
Hoping we get to Ultra Instinct by the endgame ofc. :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

Has anyone ever actually managed to get back up through that narrow pathway in the BOX fight room and talk to Adam without going to the restricted area? I'm guessing no, since not even Power Bombs can break the regenerating blocks, but on the other hand, the alternate route mentioned back to the navigation room after Nightmare is all kinds of crazy, so I'm open minded enough to think that someone somewhere has done some weird nonsense, and that's not even getting into the glitched alternate routes you can take that will gently caress the game's progression royally.

Also, the reason Goku Black goes by Super Saiyan Rose, is as was discussed in your Castlevania VLP, all the gods of destruction and their angel attendants are named after different forms of booze, and naming his Super Saiyan form after Rose liquor was his way to count himself as one of them.

The only intended sequence breaking is the Nightmare shinespark. You can abuse bugs in the game to do unintended sequence breaking, but yeah, that fucks with event flags and will cause the game to start glitching out or lock up. This game does not like sequence breaking.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I'm inclined to forgive Fusion's lack of conventional sequence breaking because it's in service of making it a better overall experience.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I remember thinking the linear nature of this game would be a problem before playing it, but ended up not caring because both the narrative and gameplay design ended up being a lot tighter for it, and it allows moments like this to happen and feel more natural. It's really difficult to get a wham moment like this in a more traditionally open-ended Metroid game. It's great.

That said, I do think it's a bit of a missed opportunity we never actually get to see more than one of them at once.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Explopyro posted:

I remember thinking the linear nature of this game would be a problem before playing it, but ended up not caring because both the narrative and gameplay design ended up being a lot tighter for it, and it allows moments like this to happen and feel more natural. It's really difficult to get a wham moment like this in a more traditionally open-ended Metroid game. It's great.

That said, I do think it's a bit of a missed opportunity we never actually get to see more than one of them at once.

The screen isn't big enough to hold more than one, and if there is more than one on the screen a "you died" screen would follow shortly after. If they were in the background fighting metroids or something that would be better.
Also why haven't they simply unleashed the metroids on the rest of the station as soon as they realized what was going on?

That would solve their x infestation problem and the metroids are nowhere near as much as a threat or as horrifically dangerious as the x. Especially considering the x are as dangerous as the flood are from the Halo universe, or possibly more dangerious considering the x don't care as much about physical barriers or shields and managed to basically take over an entire station that I think is supposed to be designed *specifically* to stop things like this considering how well the metroids get around, over the course of maybe a day or two.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Rosalie_A posted:

A couple of things for you all to make fun of twelve year old me for:

1) I actually failed at the restricted area escape sequence my first attempt. Naturally, I hadn't saved after the robot fight.

2) I was a little surprised that Nintendo allowed the word "sex" in one of their games.

Nintendo's censorship policies started becoming relaxed right around the release of Mortal Kombat II on the SNES.

The odd thing is that for some reason, Sony heavily censors newer games (especially when it comes to fanservice) and has done so for a couple of years now. Sony's newfound puritanism has created the truly weird situation that some newer games have the Switch version recommended over the PS4 version simply because the Sony version is censored while the Nintendo version is not.

Nintendo has suddenly become the permissive one and it just feels so wrong.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

One, they died before they had a chance to do anything. Two the metroids a super locked up, and three metroids are super dangerous. They had Samus hunt them to extinction just in case. But mostly one I think, I don't think anyone on the station had a chance to react to the infestation in time to do anything.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Explopyro posted:

Ditto on the latter part. It would be cool for them to start arriving as reinforcements in the actual fight once the first one starts getting low on health, and fusing into each other like X do when they start dying, and then the monster transformation comes from that unexpected SA-X amalgam, instead of it just transforming because it's a boss fight and that's what bosses do. I mean the real upcoming showdown is so obnoxiously piss easy that some attempt to shake things up with the updated plot twists would work wonders.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Use the 100% peacefully bred metroids for weapon!? Perish the thought.

Also the only person who is capable of killing metroids reliably was originally incapable of using the tools shes used in the past to kill them until they figured out the Ice missile. Definitely too late by then.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Metroids are super dangerious because normal weapons don't work on them and they eat almost anything that's alive but they can't space travel on their own. The X are even more dangerous because they eat just about EVERYTHING, gain the knowledge and weapons of their victims and can even remix and spread them around, process data organically so they can hack and take over non-organic systems and such and use them.

TLDR, both are immune to conventional weaponry but metroids aren't sentient and require people to move them around, X can learn to use ships and weapons and is capable of infiltration among other things, the only short term thing X fears is metroids.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SugarAddict posted:

TLDR, both are immune to conventional weaponry but metroids aren't sentient and require people to move them around, X can learn to use ships and weapons and is capable of infiltration among other things, the only short term thing X fears is metroids.

Its implied that the X are why the Chozo made the metroids.
But I can totally see how the metroids are much bigger threats than the X would ever be, especially now the galfed found a way to mass produce and raise the drat things.
Rip that research i guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its implied that the X are why the Chozo made the metroids.
But I can totally see how the metroids are much bigger threats than the X would ever be, especially now the galfed found a way to mass produce and raise the drat things.
Rip that research i guess.

It's made explicit in Samus Returns, some pictures unlocked afterward about the colonization of SR388

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nobody knew the X could do all that before the events of this game either, y'all are learning about the X as you go.

Either way, by the time you're in a X or metroid scenario you're hosed. Cursing whoever discovered SR388 and dying is about your only course of action.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Explopyro posted:

My fanfic rewrite: You fight one, toned down from the version you fight at the end, sometime after getting the plasma beam. You jettison it or otherwise actually kill it without absorbing the parasite. When you find the secret metroid lab, have a new one surprise you, then have Adam explain what's up. The final fight is two at once acting in concert, and when you beat one they merge into the big abomination for the final phase. Finally, give the abomination form actual attacks besides jumping.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SugarAddict posted:

Also why haven't they simply unleashed the metroids on the rest of the station as soon as they realized what was going on?
They pointed Metroid Samus at the problem, didn't they?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Omobono posted:

They pointed Metroid Samus at the problem, didn't they?

Metroid samus can talk and leave the station and operate doors. Regular metroids aren't smart enough to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If they ever remake Fusion (I'm certain they will, someday), it almost seems like a crime to not have multiple SA-Xs engage Samus simultaneously. Such a fight would rule.