Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Collateral Damage posted:

"Never deploy on a Friday" has been a hard rule for longer than the forums have existed.

How about never deploy on Black Friday, because I’ve done that with new point of sale software to 3000 registers day of...

I printed out those emails and took them to my car before I did a drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We're having our Zoom town hall meeting and the current executive speaking has a large poster of a naked Marilyn Monroe on the wall behind him.

EDIT: No one said anything.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 5, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dick Trauma posted:

We're having our Zoom town hall meeting and the current executive speaking has a large poster of a naked Marilyn Monroe on the wall behind him.

Has anyone brought it up, or is it an "Emperor's New Clothes" situation?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I don't get why I can't talk directly to a user and figure out what the gently caress they want, and instead it has to go through at least one other person to get to me. Over the years, I've somehow becoming the video conferencing person, probably as punishment for something I did earlier in life.

I have a pretty senior management person who wants a studio, so they can deliver a webinar, or training thing. But it also has to be portable. It can't be a all in one unit, because what if a microphone dies. At least, that is what I think they want, since the person that is the go between doesn't quite ask enough questions, and I feel that at times, what I pass on isn't quite making it them.

I want to just talk to them, so I can go over what we can do, but I'm not supposed to, since it must pass through some other department. I don't want to go around this person, since they generally pretty helpful, but I worry that this senior management person will get all pissy for no reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

I don't get why I can't talk directly to a user and figure out what the gently caress they want, and instead it has to go through at least one other person to get to me. Over the years, I've somehow becoming the video conferencing person, probably as punishment for something I did earlier in life.

I have a pretty senior management person who wants a studio, so they can deliver a webinar, or training thing. But it also has to be portable. It can't be a all in one unit, because what if a microphone dies. At least, that is what I think they want, since the person that is the go between doesn't quite ask enough questions, and I feel that at times, what I pass on isn't quite making it them.

I want to just talk to them, so I can go over what we can do, but I'm not supposed to, since it must pass through some other department. I don't want to go around this person, since they generally pretty helpful, but I worry that this senior management person will get all pissy for no reason.

That sucks.

In cases like that, email is your friend. Follow up every phone call with an email summarizing the call. And when it comes time to deliver a solution, spell out exactly what is being provided and get the go between to acknowledge it.

With senior management involved you need to be in CYA mode as a reflex action.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

That sucks.

In cases like that, email is your friend. Follow up every phone call with an email summarizing the call. And when it comes time to deliver a solution, spell out exactly what is being provided and get the go between to acknowledge it.

With senior management involved you need to be in CYA mode as a reflex action.

I'm not worried about CYA stuff, its just frustrating that I can't figure out what these people want because it has to go through 1-2 other people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CitizenKain posted:

I'm not worried about CYA stuff, its just frustrating that I can't figure out what these people want because it has to go through 1-2 other people.

Can you CC the user in on your replies?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CitizenKain posted:

I worked at a place like that. Only managers could talk to each other. Joe in department A couldn't talk to Sarah in department B about a project, they had to go through their managers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's good when people who don't understand what is being discussed start leaving things out because they don't feel it's relevant, really helpful

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

It's good when people who don't understand what is being discussed start leaving things out because they don't feel it's relevant, really helpful

You also get managers who like to say "What I think he wants is..."

WHY CANT I JUST TALK TO HIM

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I believe manager to manager is a good way to coordinate, but they should be coordinating which of their underlings need to talk to each other to get poo poo done, not coordinating a game of Corporate Telephone.

poo poo that’s pissing me off: having to be the “hey, just to confirm, did you mean to shoot yourself in the foot? I may be wrong but I thought we wanted the gun pointed at the target. Is that no longer the case? Thanks :)” guy

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The opposite is that anyone can talk to me directly, but they feel the need to copy in their manager, my manager the COO, the CFO, etc. etc. Yes, I'm sure they wanted to know that you can't remember how to print duplex.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

They do that as cover so that they can blame you for their lack of productivity.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

• If you ever decide
  • to use
    • Nested bulleted lists
    • In documentation
    • that is supposed to be
    • a loving changelog
  • I promise you
    • I will
    • Kill you

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

• If you ever decide
  • to use
    • Nested bulleted lists
    • In documentation
    • that is supposed to be
    • a loving changelog
  • I promise you
    • I will
    • Kill you

Any notes/short-message platform that allows more than plaintext is an abomination which needs to be cleansed by fire and by blade.

Looking at you, Teams: I loving SEE YOU.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Any text-based format that allows more than plaintext is an abomination which needs to be cleansed by fire and by blade.

Looking at you, Teams: I loving SEE YOU.

I don't mind something say, Markdown-based if people realize you don't have to use bullets for everything

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Markdown is fine because it's easy to read around the formatting if you view it plain text. It's not as good as plain old ascii but it works.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Why does the power keep going out at our two locations? It's about once a week for the last month or so.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Maigius posted:

Why does the power keep going out at our two locations? It's about once a week for the last month or so.

Someone flips breakers as a way to turn off the coffee machine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ticket closed -- cannot reproduce.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Check the elevators

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Maigius posted:

Someone tried turning it off and then on again

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maigius posted:

Cleaning person pulls the plug so they can plug the vacuum cleaner in.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Collateral Damage posted:

Cleaning person pulls the plug so they can plug the vacuum cleaner in.

It's literally this or something that's basically this. I remember reading a story where one of those got traced to an elevator where the metal accidently was physically contacting the building's electrical wire. Once a week or something somebody took it to the roof which caused the electrical system to ground when it contacted the top of the shaft and tripped the breaker. Anyone have a link to that story?

Edit: lmao whoops

Agrikk posted:

Check the elevators

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 6, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

klosterdev posted:

It's literally this or something that's basically this. I remember reading a story where one of those got traced to an elevator where the metal accidently was physically contacting the building's electrical wire. Once a week or something somebody took it to the roof which caused the electrical system to ground when it contacted the top of the shaft and tripped the breaker. Anyone have a link to that story?

Edit: lmao whoops

Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3845247&pagenumber=277&perpage=40#post502767655

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there any way we can make email match PP and Relias?

Jennifer Williams has to have JWilliams2 in PP but her email was changed to jwilliams@xxxxxx

Can we align her email to match? It helps with employee confusion.

Blah.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Alright I need a sanity check on this, any users of (ManageEngine) Password Manager Pro?

Some time ago I had the thrilling task of migrating us off a previous manager onto this (no extraction tools, all 100% by hand) and made everything nice and tidy, I set the resource names to human readable descriptions (e.g. Basket Weaving LDAP Service Account, LemonParty.com Website Account) and set the relevant DNS names, resource types, and of course added the account user name/passwords.

Something came up today where I was asked to quickly check over some listings and I came across some weird name duplication bug (noticed one was incorrect, changed it, 5 other accounts updated with the same name :psyduck:), and I brought it up and got fired back with that all our AD Service Accounts should all be labelled with the resource name "domain.com"

...What? That would be loving rubbish to use the search function with, am I wrong with this line of thought?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's a push for WFH now

Here are the stipulations for our department:
  • 2 people must be on-site at all times (out of 5)
  • You can only work from home for one week at a time. The next week you have to come back to the office.
  • You must work from home the whole week. No mixing WFH and in-person in the same week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make sure to ask if it's okay to work remotely from somewhere other than your home. Like say a vacation cottage or your family's house in another state.

Because someone here asked that and the lawyers put a hard stop on it. They were vague with the details but apparently it messes up taxes or payroll somehow you're in another state/country.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

• You can only work from home for one week at a time. The next week you have to come back to the office.
  • You must work from home the whole week. No mixing WFH and in-person in the same week.

Lmao that sounds awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

xzzy posted:

Because someone here asked that and the lawyers put a hard stop on it. They were vague with the details but apparently it messes up taxes or payroll somehow you're in another state/country.

So, I think you can just thank the lawyers for putting an absolute stop of ever getting bothered on vacation again. Sorry, can't work, I'm out of state!

Really though, it doesn't make sense because if that was the case how do companies handle people that spend most of their time on the road?

Taxes matter where your legal residence is. Even if you spend 3 months somewhere else, that's not your legal residence.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's a bullshit answer to keep people close to the office and not traveling.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xzzy posted:

Make sure to ask if it's okay to work remotely from somewhere other than your home. Like say a vacation cottage or your family's house in another state.

No, none of this messes up taxes and its insane to anyone to say it does. This is either someone being really dumb or just making up dumb excuses.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

xzzy posted:

Yeah that's some bullshit.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Visas are the only part of that that's real.

That said, there's nothing stopping companies putting blanket policies in place to prevent it. I've known contractors move home (in bangladesh), and once the giant corporate go-between found out he got canned.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

We do a rotating schedule here at my hospital between us 4 techs.

Every 3 days you get to WFH

So some weeks I get mon/thur then tues/fri and then the lovely wed only week.

It works well enough that we are mostly happy with it, of course it's all on the DL because technically we're not supposed to get any WFH and other hospitals aren't doing this so our boss won't let us tell anyone about it lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Visas are the only part of that that's real.

That said, there's nothing stopping companies putting blanket policies in place to prevent it. I've known contractors move home (in bangladesh), and once the giant corporate go-between found out he got canned.

Visa poo poo is actually going down that I am not fully aware of but I am actually super happy about.

For example, we don't leverage visa'd employees very often in Tech for our org. There are a few that we have because they specialize in some kind of big data poo poo that is super hard to find. My org was in the process of renewing a visa for someone and the rejected it. They rejected it because he is being paid 40k below that the state department believes that position is worth. So our org was forced to raise his pay 40k to renew it. If this is a legit thing going on right now, poo poo is going in the right direction.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

Visa poo poo is actually going down that I am not fully aware of but I am actually super happy about.

For example, we don't leverage visa'd employees very often in Tech for our org. There are a few that we have because they specialize in some kind of big data poo poo that is super hard to find. My org was in the process of renewing a visa for someone and the rejected it. They rejected it because he is being paid 40k below that the state department believes that position is worth. So our org was forced to raise his pay 40k to renew it. If this is a legit thing going on right now, poo poo is going in the right direction.

They're pretty serious about maintaining specialized positions as high paid through H-1B because it's intent is to allow specialties that don't exist here rather than devalue labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

They're pretty serious about maintaining specialized positions as high paid through H-1B because it's intent is to allow specialties that don't exist here rather than devalue labor.

That was not always the case. Dare I say this wasn't enforced what-so-ever during the Obama years.