Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

The original Enterprise threatened to glass a planet in "A Taste of Armageddon" - the Constitution class was generally presented as more than a match for anything it went up against.

(And the Terrans seem to be looters more than inventors; they built their empire on stolen Vulcan tech, started running into trouble until they got the Defiant, then coasted on that until the inevitable collapse.

And then Mirror O'Brien stole the DS9's Defiant's specs and built one of them.)

Thats a good point. I guess it also kind of lines up with Archer recognizing that they might need a bit more firepower if only for the sake of self-defense.

Another thing that kinda makes it feel funny - in the mirror Ent, they say the constitution class is supposed to be manned by hundreds (and they are something like 40) - but it really doesn't look the part, particularly compared to the NX, but I guess that kinda goes with remaining faithful to the original appearance rather then trying to spruce it up to match the style of ENT/the NX.

e: after doing some wiking, I didn't realize that it was actually calling back to something that came up in ToS. (The Defiant disappearing due to the Tholians) Neat.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

justice for tuvix

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324199525666430977?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If she sided with Janeway she loses my vote

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Janeway did nothing wrong. I mean, just look at Tuvix.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only thing Janeway did wrong was rematerialise Kneelix and not scatter his atoms across the Delta Quadrant.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I have a high tolerance of characters other people hate. Or at least, I feel like Neelix is not the first time I've found myself not sharing others visceral annoyance.

Also, I feel like he has something approaching an arc/character growth, which is more then can be said about everyone but The Doctor and Seven.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
How could you say that about Harry Kim who *checks notes*....dies and gets space chlamydia?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved Neelix when I was 12. I have not revisited the show since, but I'm sure kid me who also liked Jar Jar Binks had great taste that has aged well.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Janeway aborted Tuvix, change my mind.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How did fans react to Neelix when the show was airing? I find him extremely annoying now, but he feels like a very 90s TV character.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Lester Shy posted:

How did fans react to Neelix when the show was airing? I find him extremely annoying now, but he feels like a very 90s TV character.

No one ever liked Neelix.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Neelix had fans but he was billed as this fun scoundrel character who would bring something new to Star Trek in previews and they certainly delivered on one of those promises! the something new is creepy possessive pedophilia.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I'm ploughing through episodes of Enterprise (because I'm desperate at this point due to The Event). I know the ragging on the theme music is a cliche, but having just seen Extinction (an absolute lemon of an episode, as in "I'm fairly sure I saw this in an episode of Space: 1999" bad), Jesus, the whiplash

Man is brutally flamethrowered to death
"It's been a loooong rooooad..."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tuvix was one among over a hundred times that a new persona took over the bodies of Starfleet crewmates only to be eliminated by the end of the episode to restore the originals.

It's a very common episode plot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Two Owls posted:

I'm ploughing through episodes of Enterprise (because I'm desperate at this point due to The Event). I know the ragging on the theme music is a cliche, but having just seen Extinction (an absolute lemon of an episode, as in "I'm fairly sure I saw this in an episode of Space: 1999" bad), Jesus, the whiplash

Man is brutally flamethrowered to death
"It's been a loooong rooooad..."

Fun fact, that’s the episode Levar Burton went to Berman over to tell him he was embarrassed to direct it.

It’s easily in the bottom 5 of Enterprise. The rest of season 3 is pretty drat good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The crucial part of Tuvix that people haven't considered is the opinions of the people involved.

We all know that Tuvok deeply, desperately, wants Neelix to die, and Neelix's continued existence threatens his mental health.

And look at Neelix

That's not the face of someone who thinks his continued existence contributes positively to the universe. He got on Voyager to try to escape his life, only to find that his biggest - and only - true problem was himself.

Given the choice, both of them would vote for Neelix's continued nonexistence. Tuvix is, obviously, in favor of his continued existence. So it's a 3-0 vote to keep him around.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Don’t forget the episode where Neelix died briefly and didn’t end up in the afterlife like he was promised so he got suicidal

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Every episode should have ended with a scene of Neelix quietly sobbing himself to sleep as the credits started to roll

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Every episode should have ended with a scene of Neelix quietly sobbing himself to sleep as the credits started to roll

How about a holodeck scene where Neelix is brutally murdered for 40 minutes but it’s revealed that the crew had a brain worm infection but the doctor cured it and everything goes back to normal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tunicate posted:

The crucial part of Tuvix that people haven't considered is the opinions of the people involved.

We all know that Tuvok deeply, desperately, wants Neelix to die, and Neelix's continued existence threatens his mental health.

And look at Neelix

That's not the face of someone who thinks his continued existence contributes positively to the universe.

I just hate every single decision that went into designing Neelix’s stupid loving face. He looks like someone hit Randomize on the character generator and all the worst choices came up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My girlfriend kept saying he looks like he should be on the muppets, and not Star Trek.

...wait, does this mean Neelix should have been on Farscape? :ohdear:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
One of the problems with Neelix was the edict from higher up that Starfleet cast could not show emotions - this meant that Neelix got over-exaggerated, while Janeway could not shed a tear at an emotional moment.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

https://twitter.com/TheKateMulgrew/status/1324216726754643969

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kate Mulgrew is the Greatest Of All Time. Fuckin' legend.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Every bad decision made with Neelix was doubled-down on with Phlox. "You didn't like our creepy, annoying, bag-of-random-Westmore-prosthetics-flung-at-a-wall alien paedophile? Well gently caress you, here comes our new and improved creepy, annoying, bag-of-random-Westmore-prosthetics-flung-at-a-wall alien Mengele!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No way, Phlox is a way better design. He doesn’t have a rat tail or muttonchops or a dick nose or giant bruised scabs for temples.

He’s also a far better character. Neelix is annoying as poo poo at the best of times, creepy and possessive at the worst.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Phlox is also down with you banging any one of his adult wives, he's a little genocidey sometimes but he's cool

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Tuvix is a good episode. Janeway is right that tuvok and neelix needed to have a say in their continued existence or nonexistence. But she's still a murderer and the rest of the command staff are co-conspirators.

Tunicate presents a compelling argument for the restoration of Tuvix.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Tunicate posted:

And look at Neelix

That's not the face of someone who thinks his continued existence contributes positively to the universe. He got on Voyager to try to escape his life, only to find that his biggest - and only - true problem was himself.

Given the choice, both of them would vote for Neelix's continued nonexistence. Tuvix is, obviously, in favor of his continued existence. So it's a 3-0 vote to keep him around.

Exactly. Scattering his atoms across the galaxy would've been a mercy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phlox lives in the house on the cul-de-sac that always has tons of cars parked outside it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe some day we'll have some kind of directive to determine whether or not what phlox did was bad or not.

But I don't blame him for suddenly realizing curing these aliens was going to result in thousands of years of subservience for another species of aliens and simultaneously reckoning with the fact that he should even loving be there and none of these aliens should even know he exists.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Neelix wants to be your best friend and will never loving leave you alone trying to convince you to like him.

Phlox thinks of you like a lab animal he gets to perform interesting experiments upon because how the hell would you know if he's doing something genuine or just amusing himself. (And then there's the genocide. Seriously, Mirror Phlox is probably jealous of what Prime Phlox achieved. He sentenced an entire race to death and told his captain to get hosed!)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If the TNG Enterprise crew had a Tuvix accident they would have figured out how to split the positronic mediator in the transporter to separate the two crew members without killing Tuvix. Like that other Riker who is just hanging out now.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Tuvok and Neelix didn't have a say in the matter because they had recently died in a transporter accident.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Phlox is only terrible in one or two episodes which, granted, stick out quite a bit and deserve their reputation. But Neelix is terrible in every episode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Phlox has occasional wildly creepy moments that come out of nowhere. Like that one time he just casually starts telling Tucker about how much he likes the smell of a specific female ensign’s sweat and Tucker is just trying to eat

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Trip has several of those wonderful “what the gently caress, I don’t wanna be a part of this” moments throughout the series. :allears:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Trip has several of those wonderful “what the gently caress, I don’t wanna be a part of this” moments throughout the series. :allears:

Wasn't he basically shangheid by Archer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

sunday at work posted:

Tuvok and Neelix didn't have a say in the matter because they had recently died in a transporter accident.

A key trait of death is permanence. They were reconstituted from Tuvix's parts and had all of their memories and physical shape restored. They were not dead.

They were SOMETHING WEIRD, but they weren't All Dead.