Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m pretty sure all of the original developers left because the Payday 2 publisher developed Money Madness and went DLC berserk. In fact, I think the developer or the publisher may have even somehow gone bankrupt?

It's a long and sordid story

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-28-the-fall-of-swedish-game-wonder-starbreeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's just the issue with modern conflicts in general and cribbing from that. I'd say the SWAT team thing is worse personally, especially since there's no rules of engagement modelling in Door Kickers, which is especially bad for doing domestic operations instead of a warzone.

I'd love to see a modern military tactics game actually give a poo poo about RoE. There's one strategy game about counter-insurgency, Invasion Machine that has RoE features which seems interesting, but it's fairly janky. I just wish more games would do what SWAT 4 did, and really put you under the microscope each time you feel compelled to pull the trigger.

There’s that Ready or Not game in development which looks to be taking after SWAT 4

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinite Karma posted:

I've had DAEMON X MACHINA on my wishlist for a while now, seeing if it would go on sale, which it just did. Is it worth playing if I liked the Armored Core 4 games, and on that level of quality?

The story stuff is a bit more anime, and while I've yet to finish it, I definitely had fun. Gameplay certainly scratches that Armored Core itch.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

haldolium posted:

I would pretty much love a game that doesn't give a poo poo about RoE, America, Military or anything which is commonly associated and defined as GAMES but actually would loving blow my mind visually and gameplay wise (and would not be made from creeps)

still so much of an issue to visualize a kiss, after a million and one R&D manhours went in HowTo make violence really nice ~visceral~

Me too, but I’d also like for more games with a military bent be more critical of the gung-ho oorah and the optimisation of murder. More games like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa, that added the politics of command and the pettiness of the Nazis to the traditional hex and counter wargame.

I’d really love some more artistic games like that former Apple Arcade music one too, or stuff like Gorogoa, but that’s separate from wanting games in oft-mindless or tactless spaces to be a bit more thoughtful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Me too, but I’d also like for more games with a military bent be more critical of the gung-ho oorah and the optimisation of murder.
Games could really do with a bit more critical examination of that overall, yeah.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Infinite Karma posted:

I've had DAEMON X MACHINA on my wishlist for a while now, seeing if it would go on sale, which it just did. Is it worth playing if I liked the Armored Core 4 games, and on that level of quality?

I played through that game and it kept me engaged, but I wouldn't necessarily go in looking for like... Good mech gameplay. You're extremely mobile, dashin around shooting guns. It's serviceable, but never felt revolutionary. I kept going to see just what the hell the story was going to do next, since I didn't know at the time that Jesus christ did they cut a lot of it out. Seriously, things are going to whiz out of the dark at you, seem important and meaningful for a second and then disappear without a trace. This disjointed story is oddly compelling, but it's definitely a fraction of a fraction the story (and game) they wanted to tell.

I forget if it's a novel or an art book but they have all the story put together from making the game so you can go and do some remedial reading if you want to make sense of it later.

Overall? I mean I had fun? I played the game through to completion? Just be aware the story is never going to come together, at any point.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

superliminal is out on steam today with a 20% discount https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049410/Superliminal/

day 1 purchase for me the demo was incredible

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Anyone know much about Stoneshard?

It looks a lot like Tanglekeep which I loved a lot.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Awesome! posted:

superliminal is out on steam today with a 20% discount https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049410/Superliminal/

day 1 purchase for me the demo was incredible

Holy poo poo yes. Was this the same game as that one clip of someone using a photo and poo poo? Because that made me scream just looking at it. I didn't follow the game at all. Hype!

Taintrunner posted:

The story stuff is a bit more anime, and while I've yet to finish it, I definitely had fun. Gameplay certainly scratches that Armored Core itch.

I'm curious about Daemon X Machina: A review mentioned "Monster Hunter RNG for blueprints". Is this game not linear in terms of mission progression? Is it more like MonHun or God Eater 3 where they're a selection of fights/skirmishes? How does it work? What's replayability like?

perc2
May 16, 2020

Givin posted:

Anyone know much about Stoneshard?

It looks a lot like Tanglekeep which I loved a lot.

Give it a year or two more in development, IMO. It's way grittier and challenging than Tangledeep, it has the affectation of an old Amiga game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Infinite Karma posted:

quote:

I'm curious about Daemon X Machina: A review mentioned "Monster Hunter RNG for blueprints". Is this game not linear in terms of mission progression? Is it more like MonHun or God Eater 3 where they're a selection of fights/skirmishes? How does it work? What's replayability like?

The game's good and the combat feels good and fun, but be prepared for the least interesting, most lovely Saturday morning anime plot, writing, and voice acting imaginable. You get gear both through a store and through salvaging parts of ruined mechs. What you get can be randomized. You can also slot in chips to upgrade them, and research and develop better parts. There's a secret store as well, and you can research and develop (through replaying them) boss weapons. There's also an upgrade system for your pilot as well, so if you want to cut your legs off to get a little bit better at boosting, knock yourself out (also you def should).

DXM's biggest issue though is that nearly every mech feels and looks like AC4/4 Answer's White Glint(s) depending on how heavy you are and similarly, the rifles and smgs are far and away the best weapons in the game, with only a few exceptions. The cooler gimmickier ones just can't compare. I've blitzed through with double SMG arms and it just shreds everything.

I should probably finish the campaign at some point, I'm 30 hours in lol.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 5, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RBA Starblade posted:

DXM's biggest issue though is that nearly every mech feels and looks like AC4/4 Answer's White Glint(s) depending on how heavy you are and similarly, the rifles and smgs are far and away the best weapons in the game, with only a few exceptions. The cooler gimmickier ones just can't compare. I've blitzed through with double SMG arms and it just shreds everything.
I've been eying DMX for a while and I don't care about the plot anyway, so I'd be fine with just ignoring that. This here might be a bit of a problem, though - having a lot of variety and specifically a lot of viable variety is kind of the entire point of a "customize your own mecha" game of this type.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Croccers posted:

I'm curious here. How else would you frame the game without making it look like Frozen Synapse?

Maybe I don't understand what you mean here, but there are an infinite number of ways you can make a tactical puzzle game that doesn't normalize US imperialism or present it as non-political. At minimum you could just make it a realistic but fictional situation without tying the protagonists/antagonists to any specific country or ethnicity. Or have it be a representation of the US invasion of Iraq but flip between the two factions - play as the US invaders for some missions, play as the Iraqi resistance for some missions. Not only would that be a bit less sus about political motivations, it would also open up a lot more gameplay options. This is pretty common in milsim games. poo poo, you could even use that as an opportunity to throw in flavor text that can give sympathetic motivations to both sides and also highlight the bad aspects of each for a bit more of an even-handed approach. Or, you know, make it sci-fi/fantasy stuff like XCOM or the upcoming Tactical Breach Wizards (which looks dope af) and bypass the whole issue completely while still making a really fun game.

Me too, but I’d also like for more games with a military bent be more critical of the gung-ho oorah and the optimisation of murder.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

RBA Starblade posted:

The game's good and the combat feels good and fun, but be prepared for the least interesting, most lovely Saturday morning anime plot, writing, and voice acting imaginable. You get gear both through a store and through salvaging parts of ruined mechs. What you get can be randomized. You can also slot in chips to upgrade them, and research and develop better parts. There's a secret store as well, and you can research and develop (through replaying them) boss weapons. There's also an upgrade system for your pilot as well, so if you want to cut your legs off to get a little bit better at boosting, knock yourself out (also you def should).

I should probably finish the campaign at some point, I'm 30 hours in lol.
I generally liked the White Glint style mechs, and the plot of AC4 felt like a pretty tacked on "generic war plot with no characters or intrigue" too, so if the anime plot is at least bearable, I'm probably in. Disgaea 5's anime stupidity made me drop the game about halfway through even though I enjoyed the actual gameplay.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's just not Halo. That's where my warnings come in. Play Destiny 2 because you want to play Destiny 2. If you want to play Halo, don't play Destiny 2, or you end with a reaction exactly like yours.

I will agree with this in the sense that I think the game is at its absolute best and most fun when you get to lean in to its uniqueness and not when trying to play it like a normal FPS. Which is tied to one of my major criticisms: that you need to spend a little time with it before you get to a point where you're almost always able to be an Immortal Space Wizard and/or Robot Who Is a Perpetual Meteor That Constantly Explodes. Just about all of the abilities and supers are really fun but when you're just starting out you don't have the tools to minimize all your cooldowns, and a lot of the exotic weapons are really neat and unique but they don't just hand those out. I feel like that sets up a situation where new players think they're playing a relatively normal FPS (you shoot stuff and then every five minutes you get to shoot a big thing) and people turn off early. I was able to stick around awhile just based entirely on the game's art direction (it is still an incredibly bright and beautiful game), but if they could figure out how to get you to the fun stuff a little faster, that'd be nice.

My other main criticism has been well documented by everyone everywhere: although when you're actually playing the game it's a really fun game, the user experience outside of the actual gameplay is just terrible.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly your best bet is to let it be political and just let your players be the villains.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Grapplejack posted:

Honestly your best bet is to let it be political and just let your players be the villains.

Unrelated to the current discussion but I wish more games let you properly be the villain. There are far too few of those. And a few of those that DO end up using more as a theme than anything, like Overlord did imo.

I'm still annoyed that That Which Sleeps ended up being a scam.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 5, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A lot of people just really don't enjoy being unambiguously bad guy who does genuinely vile and horrible things to much better people than the one you're playing as. Games tend to involve a win condition and "feel lovely about what you're doing because you really didn't deserve to succeed at doing this" tends to be a pretty unappealing one. If there isn't some sort of cartoonishness and distance involved, it's just a bit too raw.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hwurmp posted:

Since you played Opus Magnum, let us recommend Hentai Hitler XVI

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

A lot of people just really don't enjoy being unambiguously bad guy who does genuinely vile and horrible things to much better people than the one you're playing as. Games tend to involve a win condition and "feel lovely about what you're doing because you really didn't deserve to succeed at doing this" tends to be a pretty unappealing one. If there isn't some sort of cartoonishness and distance involved, it's just a bit too raw.

Media doesn’t have to be for a lot of people. Not everyone played the genocide/no mercy route of Undertale, and that’s fine. Some folks like the raw, some don’t, and both those tastes can be catered to at no cost to the other - even in the same game, case in point, Undertale.

Also annoying, when you have no choice but to be “evil”, like Spec Ops The Line. There’s little nuance there due to the lack of player agency in certain ill deeds.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 5, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Also annoying, when you have no choice but to be “evil”, like Spec Ops The Line. There’s little nuance there due to the lack of player agency in certain ill deeds.

Like how CoD forces you to be "good" by being a US solider on missions and not letting you frag the other troops and switch sides? Almost like trying to tell a good story requires some narrative control rather then making everything a good/evil/sarcastic choice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yami Fenrir posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion but I wish more games let you properly be the villain. There are far too few of those. And a few of those that DO end up using more as a theme than anything, like Overlord did imo.

I'm still annoyed that That Which Sleeps ended up being a scam.

I know they eventually patched it in as an option but Tyranny chickening out at the last second and having you either fight or replace the evil overlord was some bullshit.

quote:

lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Media doesn’t have to be for a lot of people. Not everyone played the genocide/no mercy route of Undertale, and that’s fine. Some folks like the raw, some don’t, and both those tastes can be catered to at no cost to the other - even in the same game, case in point, Undertale.

Sure, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to play a game like that for the emotional experience, just that it's also understandable that there aren't a lot of them. Legitimately bad people are bad. It isn't really a surprise that there's not much of a market for roleplaying as a racist child abuser or something of that nature. Most people don't even like thinking about that sort of thing, after all. How much less would they want to play a game that believably makes them feel complicit in it?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 5, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Even though I have so many games I'm interested in that I want to beat, I'm gonna snag Daemon X Machina because it looks interesting and appears to be a unique experience (at least on the PC), and the last time it was on sale was in May. gently caress that.

:shepspends:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Grapplejack posted:

That's what Call of Duty tried to do and look how that ended up.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

RBA Starblade posted:

I know they eventually patched it in as an option but Tyranny chickening out at the last second and having you either fight or replace the evil overlord was some bullshit.

I only played it after it was already very finalized, but I actually appreciated the depth of the game. You could systematically undermine the evil overlord and make the factions loyal to you, but by being the strongest and scariest, not by the magic of friendship (but still being cooler and more just than the Overlord). And then blow up the Overlord's capital with her own magic and set up the most amazing sequel that will never be made.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Infinite Karma posted:

It's super good. I liked it somewhere between 4 and 4A. As said, the writing is from an anime you watched in middle school and immediately forgot, but the gameplay is great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

lol

I thought that made sense. I was dissapointed at first too, but there is no way a dictator would be cool with an RPG Protagonist level threat to their power running around.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

800peepee51doodoo posted:

[...]play as the Iraqi resistance for some missions. Not only would that be a bit less sus about political motivations, it would also open up a lot more gameplay options.

Adding the extremely fun and not problematic gameplay of "death squads murdering Shia/Sunni civilians and bombing markets as part of a sectarian civil war" is not "less sus". Though it might get you some cash from the Saudi government if you limit the player to Sunni groups!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bought Metro Exodus a year ago, then this thread convinced me to play 2033 first but I just couldn't get into it after ~4 hours, so I never tried Exodus either. Said to heck with that and installed Exodus today. Only 3 hours played but it seems interesting and good so far. It looks real purdy, too.

That said, I'm leaning towards picking up Godfall next week regardless of whether I beat Metro by then... Anyone else thinking of playing it? I don't even see a thread for it here, and the sub is fairly quiet on reddit. I debated between that game and AssCreed but I just played Odyssey in like August/September so I'm kinda burnt out on that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

pentyne posted:

Like how CoD forces you to be "good" by being a US solider on missions and not letting you frag the other troops and switch sides? Almost like trying to tell a good story requires some narrative control rather then making everything a good/evil/sarcastic choice.

Actually, CoD has a great example of player agency in the form of Black Ops 2. It gives you a lot of small choices and non-game over failure states in missions that allows the story to react. I'm more talking about when games think they're making a great statement on evil acts of the player, like in Spec Ops and the white phosphorous scene, and comparing that to when something like Undertale does it - you have to commit to consistent acts of violence for the full genocide route, and the game judges you for how violent you are on that neutral route, and that it's far more powerful when you have that element of choice.

Of course, you'd have to be crazy to suggest that all games should cover literally every decision the player can make, branching narratives are extremely expensive to make content-wise. When I refer to choice, I don't mean RPG style dialogue options. Deus Ex in particular is remembered for a large amount of player agency and choice in each of its levels, and in several of its conversations, but it doesn't branch in any substantive fashion, the progression between levels is nearly entirely linear with a few variations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aren’t more than a few of Black Ops 2 “choices” time based and more rewarding to the better player? I also remember there being at least 1 “choice” where you have to choose who to shoot and if you shoot Person A the gun was loaded and if you shoot Person B the gun wasn’t loaded.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just got Kosmokrats and it's real neat. You're a potato peeler drone pilot in the People's Space Force :ussr: and you have to build spaceships by pushing & pulling compartments together before it all drops out of orbit. The story branches after every two or three missions; I haven't completed any routes yet but so far I've escaped Earth's nuclear annihilation, "rescued" a capitalist scientist and engineer, and assembled an AI that definitely won't kill all humans.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Actually, CoD has a great example of player agency in the form of Black Ops 2. It gives you a lot of small choices and non-game over failure states in missions that allows the story to react. I'm more talking about when games think they're making a great statement on evil acts of the player, like in Spec Ops and the white phosphorous scene, and comparing that to when something like Undertale does it - you have to commit to consistent acts of violence for the full genocide route, and the game judges you for how violent you are on that neutral route, and that it's far more powerful when you have that element of choice.

Of course, you'd have to be crazy to suggest that all games should cover literally every decision the player can make, branching narratives are extremely expensive to make content-wise. When I refer to choice, I don't mean RPG style dialogue options. Deus Ex in particular is remembered for a large amount of player agency and choice in each of its levels, and in several of its conversations, but it doesn't branch in any substantive fashion, the progression between levels is nearly entirely linear with a few variations.

Spec ops did do that though.

Your character doesn't mean to wp the civs (and can't avoid it) but you do get options to avoid violence later that are not highlighted.

Could be the accidental massacre earlier makes you go gently caress it and mow down the angry crowd, when all you need to do is threaten them and they will run away.

There's also some interesting choices at the end, leading to one of the greatest line readings of gaming.

(Readies self for traditional 30 page spec ops argument)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Best thing about Spec Ops was letting me appreciate some classic rock a bit more cause I get a bit of a :shobon: nostalgia when I remember how they were tied to events. Cinematic and cheesy, maybe, but it was loving entertaining (at the time) and I'm really glad i played it. I think that makes it a good game for the time, at least.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sebmojo posted:

There's also some interesting choices at the end, leading to one of the greatest line readings of gaming.
What was this?

(I really should replay it, my one and done playthrough was in 2012)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kennel posted:

What was this?

(I really should replay it, my one and done playthrough was in 2012)

Gentlemen: welcome to Dubai.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Could be the accidental massacre earlier makes you go gently caress it and mow down the angry crowd, when all you need to do is threaten them and they will run away.

Yeah, the crowd thing is a great moment, it's just that the WP scene is the most commonly cited, and it's the one where the game is most critical of the player. The other moments aren't highlighted, but the player is also not judged for those - only the forced scene.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, the crowd thing is a great moment, it's just that the WP scene is the most commonly cited, and it's the one where the game is most critical of the player. The other moments aren't highlighted, but the player is also not judged for those - only the forced scene.

The game is very, very explicit that the player is not being judged, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
CoD MW made the very dumb choice of having civilians in the levels that happen in the UK, as a way to force you to watch where you fire. But the moment you accidentally shoot one of them, you're given a game over, which is the most :effort: way of implementing them, which gets even more absurd when you realize that most enemies in those levels are dressed in civilian clothing. Sometimes you shoot at someone and then hope that won't send you a couple minutes back in the level.