Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

naruto desperately wanted to be a cute, kind of low stakes series about ninja kids going on adventures but it started being pulled toward a dragon ball redux far too early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jazerus posted:

naruto desperately wanted to be a cute, kind of low stakes series about ninja kids going on adventures but it started being pulled toward a dragon ball redux far too early

Reminds me how I heard Kishi planned for more ninja missions after the Land of Waves Arc but his editor him no and to just skip right to the Chunin Exams.

Which makes Kakashi look like an inconsiderate idiot for throwing the thoroughly unprepared Sakura into this situation and also hurt Naruto and Sasuke's future rivalry/relationship by not giving us enough time to see them grow closer.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Jazerus posted:

I can see that, even still! The character designs are fun. You know how a lot of comics have "teenagers" who look like athletic young adults? The ones in Naruto actually do look like it. Naruto himself is even sort of plump.

NikkolasKing posted:

Reminds me how I heard Kishi planned for more ninja missions after the Land of Waves Arc but his editor him no and to just skip right to the Chunin Exams.

Which makes Kakashi look like an inconsiderate idiot for throwing the thoroughly unprepared Sakura into this situation and also hurt Naruto and Sasuke's future rivalry/relationship by not giving us enough time to see them grow closer.

The editors from that era of shonen weeklys were really professional and also stressed out so there was always a back and forth talk about which ideas are best suited. I overheard Kishimoto's suggest "throw in that silly mission stuff from time to time just to relate it all together, no matter how action packed and even violent the story can get."

So to readers it might seems like "references" but honestly what sort of "ninja mission" would kids even do aside from stuff like find someones missing pet?

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 5, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

basically what i'm saying is, the filler is generally way more true to the original spirit of the series than the "real" parts of the story. it only sucks because you know going in that no lasting consequences can emerge from a filler episode.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm reminded of how I heard the reason why Sakura was so good in the first arc of Part 2 and then was axed next arc is because they got a lot of negative feedback from people who hated Sakura. Kishi tried to make her a character people cared about and then people rejected his efforts and he gave up.

I have no sympathy though because I think of all this like pro-wrestling. You get people "over" (popular with the crowd) by having them beat people up and be involved in storylines. Sakura was "buried" (her progress or chance of getting over torpedoed by the writer) for all of Part 1 and then Kishi just randomly decided to try and make a nobody jobber into a a main eventer. That never works. You can't bury a person for years and years and then just expect the audience to instantly love them.

To dig Sakura out of the hole he put her in would have taken a long time and a concerted effort. But a bit of push back and he gave up. One awesome fight with Sasori and then next arc she gets knocked out by Orochimaru's rear end flying through the air and cries a lot.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm reminded of how I heard the reason why Sakura was so good in the first arc of Part 2 and then was axed next arc is because they got a lot of negative feedback from people who hated Sakura. Kishi tried to make her a character people cared about and then people rejected his efforts and he gave up.

I have no sympathy though because I think of all this like pro-wrestling. You get people "over" (popular with the crowd) by having them beat people up and be involved in storylines. Sakura was "buried" (her progress or chance of getting over torpedoed by the writer) for all of Part 1 and then Kishi just randomly decided to try and make a nobody jobber into a a main eventer. That never works. You can't bury a person for years and years and then just expect the audience to instantly love them.

To dig Sakura out of the hole he put her in would have taken a long time and a concerted effort. But a bit of push back and he gave up. One awesome fight with Sasori and then next arc she gets knocked out by Orochimaru's rear end flying through the air and cries a lot.

I like that you wrote this that way. Popularity polls and the writing afterwards from these years really is like the WWF but with drawings.

"Shino" is the "kai-entai" of Naruto. I liked bug bloodsucker man, but so did...hardly anybody.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm currently still reading along to the Mangaplus daily release. They just beat the 10 tails Obito, but it's just so dire.

First everyone is like "hurray team7 is together!" And Sakura memorably says she caught up. And then it becomes the Naruto and Sasuke show and Sakura is forgotten.
Meanwhile everyone else feels the need to spend every half part of a release to drool over how SPECIAL Naruto is.
The pacing grinds to a complete halt.

At least the hokage fights are fun.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that according to Kishimoto, females HATED Sakura

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I don't think I'm ever going to get over how much Orochimaru's been softened up in Boruto :psyduck: Like of all the villain characters, Orochimaru is the one who gets to be the weird frenemy?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to get over how much Orochimaru's been softened up in Boruto :psyduck: Like of all the villain characters, Orochimaru is the one who gets to be the weird frenemy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvvREU6jWoA

The only vague excuse I've heard is that the soul-stealing, murdering Orochimaru is dead; he was sealed away by Itachi. This Orochimaru who is walking around now is a totally different person, his own being or something.

I can't say how bullshit this might be.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
its extra weird because orochimaru was legitimately like the main villain and the progenitor of a LOT of the story's problems for like... half? more than half? of the mangas run time

when the power scale went off the deep end his antics seemed cute relatively so ig they could bring him back in with less acrimony. i dont really keep up with boruto but by the end of naruto, theoretically like 3-4 of the cast hanging around the leaf should be able to obliterate him if need be

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
orochimaru did reunite naruto and sasuke by resurrecting the four hokage and giving sasuke the other side of the itachi situation he didn't know. they also probably had something to do with cultivating enough of the first's cells to create naruto's prosthetic. i could see naruto pushing for supervision over execution.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Putting Yamato on perpetual Orochimaru duty just seems mean.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Pyrotoad posted:

That was stupid as gently caress, considering he commited Nazi-like human experiments

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Orochimaru's main take away from the war was that being ambitious sucked and he was better off staying in his lab and focusing on his experiments. At this point I think Yamato is more a formality than anything.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Willo567 posted:

That was stupid as gently caress, considering he commited Nazi-like human experiments

they don't care

the elemental nations aren't exactly big on human rights

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jazerus posted:

they don't care

the elemental nations aren't exactly big on human rights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaf5egdtTkg

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Orochimaru doesn't seem like he's forgiven, exactly - more like he's under a conditional pardon because there are no options Naruto wouldn't consider in case if a full-scale Otsusuki invasion. Orochimaru keeps his head down, allows 24-7 monitoring, puts up with Yamato and random intrusive inspections, does not engage in live human experimentation, gather any kind of political power, or oppose the Leaf in any way. Otherwise Naruto sends Sasuke, who apparently doesn't have any qualms killing Orochimaru twice. Hell that's why Taka is there too, there's just enough lingering affection for them to keep Sasuke from burning the place down out of hand.

As for Mitsuki, well, Orochimaru likes to test his boundaries and kids are one of Naruto's known weak spots.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wait, has Orochimaru said or done anything wrt Jigen or the Ōtsutsuki? Presumably this is one of the few situations he'd be a genuine asset as far as knowledge, strategy and abilities.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Orochimaru was killed twice already by Sasuke and then Itachi and didn't die. He can't be killed in a way that matters.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I just keep thinking back on Orochimaru sending Naruto and Hinata a congratulations video on their wedding. Like what the gently caress

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Willo567 posted:

I just keep thinking back on Orochimaru sending Naruto and Hinata a congratulations video on their wedding. Like what the gently caress

Orochimaru is a very polite genderfluid snake demon.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Pyrotoad posted:

Orochimaru was killed twice already by Sasuke and then Itachi and didn't die. He can't be killed in a way that matters.

doesnt the cast on hand have the ability to literally send him to other dimensions with minimal effort from which he would quite ltierally have no capability to return

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Conveniently enough, the guy who can do just that also still low-key hates Orochimaru too.

Not that it would take even still, you'd have to hunt down every person with one of his curse marks and kill them too to really make sure his death/dimensional exile took.

E. Mitsuki has an internal curse mark to prevent copying, how much do you want to bet there's a bit of Orochimaru in that mark too and if he's offed, Mitsuki undergoes rapid Orochification/pukes out a copy of his parent.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 6, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The curse mark resurrection only worked cause a 3rd party was needed to revive him for info. Who really likes him enough to give him another rez?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't put it past Orochimaru to have figured out auto-rez in the intervening 15 years.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

orochimaru is working very hard to invent "bitcoin, but with seals" so he can stick a bit of his soul into the ledger and have it endlessly copied by credulous rubes and criminals

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Orochimaru is more useful alive so as long as he's not actively doing evil - which he seems to no longer have an interest in - what does killing him actually accomplish?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

on the one hand the death penalty is wrong

on the other hand "superpowered anime mengele" sure makes a strong case

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

on the one hand the death penalty is wrong

on the other hand "superpowered anime mengele" sure makes a strong case

I think when your life is no longer just your own and you are a prison trapping the stolen souls of others, the death penalty is warranted.

I'm not sure how this all works, though and if the souls we saw trapped in Oro are still there.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Kabuto be heading up the Konoha Orphanage too... poo poo's just always been kinda hosed in Konoha if you can imagine a village full of Uchiha.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Re-examination of Naruto trips you up day one. You put a nuclear bomb in a kid, refuse to tell him who his parents are and then let him get hosed up by everything constantly.

Like the Orochimaru stuff just makes no sense but nothing ever really does. I feel like they came up with the idea for Mitsuki and just thought he was cool enough to justify. And you know, I really like Mitsuki, so whatever.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I think when your life is no longer just your own and you are a prison trapping the stolen souls of others, the death penalty is warranted.

I'm not sure how this all works, though and if the souls we saw trapped in Oro are still there.

I think those souls may have been sealed with the original Orochimaru?

iamsosmrt posted:

Wait, has Orochimaru said or done anything wrt Jigen or the Ōtsutsuki? Presumably this is one of the few situations he'd be a genuine asset as far as knowledge, strategy and abilities.

I also keep expecting this. He should still be in the top5 of strongest people around. But he's definitely not going to become relevant or make an anti-karma pill

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Super Rad posted:

Kabuto be heading up the Konoha Orphanage too... poo poo's just always been kinda hosed in Konoha if you can imagine a village full of Uchiha.

Kabuto at least had the excuse that he was literally a puppet mind-slave until right before the Fourth Ninja War, and during it he doesn’t actually do much besides a very sanitary version of the Underworld Resurrection on a mass scale, no humans sacrifices at all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kabuto at least had the excuse that he was literally a puppet mind-slave until right before the Fourth Ninja War, and during it he doesn’t actually do much besides a very sanitary version of the Underworld Resurrection on a mass scale, no humans sacrifices at all.

Edo tensei actually needs living human sacrifices

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Edo tensei actually needs living human sacrifices

Yeah it's pretty clear there's a sacrifice in every Edo Tensei creamy filling. Every one dispelled prematurely leaves a corpse in the anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Wasn't that the purpose of the zetsu clones? That they could act as bodies?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Julias posted:

Wasn't that the purpose of the zetsu clones? That they could act as bodies?

Yup, hence no human sacrifices required, just thousands of Zetsu clones.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Kabuto at least was forced to become a better person by being trapped in Mind Jail until he stopped being an rear end in a top hat.

I want to see Kabuto help teach someone about Sage mode, since he is the only person to fully master it, and thus transcend it. Dude worked snake sage so well that he became a dragon sage (snakes are incomplete dragons in mythology).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ol0Nmlc43I

So this is some heavy nostalgia.

But goddamn, I am a big proponent for diverse representation and the view that there is nothing inherently problematic about depicting a girl as boy-crazy or airheaded. You just need to show that not all girls are like that. But Sakura sets the standard for pretty much all subsequent girls in Naruto, even Mei, the second female Kage we see. (in fact, I think she's the only female Kage we see besides Tsunade?)

I've head Boruto is significantly better about its female representation.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 6, 2020