Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

I've rented a 2021 Hyundai Kona, 1400km on it, while the Golf R is in the shop. So far my first reaction is... I don't hate it. I feel like if the transmission were less poo poo it would be much more pleasant to drive, but my lord that thing does not want to react quickly. I'm hoping "Sport Mode" will solve that somewhat, since I suspect it may just be a programming choice rather than an actual flaw with the transmission. Why it would be programmed to be slow as poo poo and awful is an open question, but I'm told people like that in the name of "smoothness" and "economy". Overall, as an appliance, I can see why people would buy this vehicle. It looks acceptable and it feels pretty nice to sit in and drive. Visibility is actually quite good all the way around. I'm not sure why, but it feels like there's less legroom than the Golf, which is perplexing to me because overall it feels much larger.

The Kona is a bit shorter and sits on a slightly shorter wheelbase than the Golf so that isn't surprising (especially given the Golf is easily the best packaged of all the small hatchbacks).

The transmission you describe sounds exactly like the 7 speed VW uses in their low output cars - it's definitely done to eek every last bit out of the Euro fuel test cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The BRZ is Slow Car Fast. Some people dont like that. Others get all hot n bothered by throwing it in backwards and doing a balancing act on high speed sweepers other RWD's just dont really like doing. If you like doing the latter it really can be one of the most astonishingly great drives.

Also the fact it is one of the most amazing blank canvasses to go build whatever you want. It's bang for modding buck really is about the best out there.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Anyone who's waiting for the 86 twins to depreciate further should really just buy a 2009+ RX-8. All the reliability issues from the S1 have been fixed and they're right in between a NC and ND Miata as far as the chassis goes.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I want to LSX swap an R3 RX8 so bad!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The BRZ is Slow Car Fast. Some people dont like that. Others get all hot n bothered by throwing it in backwards and doing a balancing act on high speed sweepers other RWD's just dont really like doing. If you like doing the latter it really can be one of the most astonishingly great drives.

Also the fact it is one of the most amazing blank canvasses to go build whatever you want. It's bang for modding buck really is about the best out there.

I love mine. I still haven't worn the original set of tires off it and am looking forward to putting a set of Pilot Sport 4S on. Freeway cloverleafs are already plenty of fun. Better tires should make it even more so.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sab669 posted:

Any thought on the new Z? I guess we should wait until it's officially announced, instead of just the Proto model, but I think it seems solid. Probaby going to be a fair bit more expensive though, I guess. And not N/A :(

I like what I'm seeing on the new Z but it's going to have too much power.

What I really want is an ND Miata but I'm too tall.

McTinkerson posted:

Anyone who's waiting for the 86 twins to depreciate further should really just buy a 2009+ RX-8. All the reliability issues from the S1 have been fixed and they're right in between a NC and ND Miata as far as the chassis goes.

God I would kill for Mazda (or anyone else) to build an RX-8 again with a normal engine.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

FBS posted:

God I would kill for Mazda (or anyone else) to build an RX-8 again with a normal engine.

Twin-turbo 2.3L K V6?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Franco Caution posted:

I want to LSX swap an R3 RX8 so bad!

This is the way. :hmmyes:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

gonna go with...no

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Neo_Crimson posted:

This is the way. :hmmyes:

:mediocre:

RADL would like to have a word with you out back.

The correct engine swap for the RX-8 chassis is a 13B-REW or 20B-RE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzpXvwt_0mM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRMjQhPMyE

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

McTinkerson posted:

:mediocre:

RADL would like to have a word with you out back.

The correct engine swap for the RX-8 chassis is a 13B-REW or 20B-RE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzpXvwt_0mM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRMjQhPMyE

Why yes I would like to upvote this comment. 20B's in RX8's are blindingly fast and dont have cornering issues.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Apparently Oshawa Assembly is going to come back from the dead. I don't think anyone was expecting that. They're going to retool it for pickups.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gm-unifor-deal-1.5790739

This is one of the oldest automotive plants in the world, it started as a McLaughlin-Buick factory in 1907 and was still building Buicks in 2018.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The turn signals on the new Sienna are commically small lmao

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

Or they are normal sized and that grill is just the continent of Africa

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Optimus prime going

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Modus Man posted:

Or they are normal sized and that grill is just the continent of Africa

That's fair. But compared to everything else on that bumper, it's tiny :v:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is that a snap from a Doug video?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I kind of want to drive a car with a rotary engine before they're totally just gone so I would pick up a last-gen RX-8 and drive it until the apex seals failed or whatever

Helps that it's got a pretty decent chassis as well

plus I like the weird rear doors

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sab669 posted:

I watched Doug's review on this, and kept asking myself what is making this thing "Platinum". It didn't seem to pack the quality I'd be looking for at that price range. Features looked decent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sab669 posted:

Getting strong Cylon vibes from that grill

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's a high trim level, they're basically never worth it. It's usually dumb high margin nonsense.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

All about that goldilocks midlevel trim yo

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wheeee posted:

All about that goldilocks midlevel trim yo

The mid level has that grille too.

The base model has a Basking Shark grille but that's still the best looking of the trims.

The interior is pretty nice for the segment though, worth it for that and H-AWD.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm driving a crossover vehicle. It is poo poo from an rear end and has neither the nice qualities of a car nor the nice qualities of an actual SUV, and I hate it more than I ever thought I would. Who buys this garbage? It's horrible on gas, big enough to be a pain in the arse but not capable of doing anything, still small as gently caress on the inside, underpowered because it's heavy as poo poo, just goddamn poo poo.

The only part of driving it I like is the fact that I repeatedly laugh at loud about what a loving horrible piece of poo poo it is. I mean, I really don't think I have high standards, I love the Wrangler I rented for a similar price one time, and despite its many horrible, glaring flaws, I loved the poo poo out of it. It has a lot of charm. CUVs have no charm, they are unlovable and I get why boring poo poo like "fuel economy" becomes a huge talking point in this godforsaken segment.

Oh, by the way, it gets significantly worse fuel economy that my (more spacious and twice as powerful) Golf R on the same route, while actually going slower, so it can't even do boring things well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What car are you in specifically? There are really good crossovers, no joke. Mazda stuff, the Porsche Macan, honestly the CR-V also.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Twerk from Home posted:

What car are you in specifically? There are really good crossovers, no joke. Mazda stuff, the Porsche Macan, honestly the CR-V also.

A Hyundai Kona. I heard Koreans were starting to be good at building cars but holy gently caress, no they aren’t, if this is what they’re making. I had the option of a CX-3 too... but I wanted to see if the Korean hype was true.

Simply: no. No it loving isn’t. It’s a perfectly dreadful car with no endearing qualities, even boring ones like fuel economy I don’t usually care about.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't know how a car which is taller but otherwise exactly the same size as a Golf could be large enough to be a pain in the arse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dissss posted:

I don't know how a car which is taller but otherwise exactly the same size as a Golf could be large enough to be a pain in the arse.

I don’t know, I can’t explain it either. It just feels larger. Possibly if I had more time to get used to it, I’d be better, but it maybe it’s a subconscious thing that it’s like “hey this is tall, I should drive it like a truck.” I was honestly amazed to find it’s the same size as a Golf, because it feels so much larger and it doesn’t have the exceptional visibility and controllability of a Wrangler, which is actually larger but feels small and precise to place when you need it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly I don’t know the precise factors that make me horny about cars or not horny about cars, but oh my god this car is bad. It doesn’t feel lovely to drive or inspiring or cheerful in any way. It feels like a chore and it makes me sad such a thing is produced.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you even remember how dull the average car from the 90s was? or mid-2000s? loving hell that's an awful screed to read through

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Kona is a perfectly fine car and I doubt it actually gets worse gas mileage than a Golf R and it also doesn’t require premium. Most people don’t care if their car sparks joy and wouldn’t even know what you were talking about if you tried to explain it. They’d rather have the 10 year powertrain warranty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Kona is a perfectly fine car and I doubt it actually gets worse gas mileage than a Golf R and it also doesn’t require premium. Most people don’t care if their car sparks joy and wouldn’t even know what you were talking about if you tried to explain it. They’d rather have the 10 year powertrain warranty.

A: It does, I track my gas mileage every drive, the Golf R averages 8.1L/100km and the Kona got 8.3L/100km. And who even gives a single flying gently caress about premium vs. regular, gas is cheap as poo poo and CO2 is more important anyway if you care about fuel efficiency.

B: On the other issue, I've thought about why this is pissing me off to an unreasonable degree, and have just now realized that I may have been using vehicles as a surrogate for my frustration as a disabled person. Vehicles make me equal, and vehicles that aren't loving technically great at what they do, whether it's speed, or handling, or rock-crawling, or anything, upset me because why would you not be the best? Why would you look at the best, in some way, and not take it? That's why the Wrangler makes me horny the same as a Mustang makes me horny same as a Hilux makes me horny same as a Golf R makes me horny, same as a Lada Niva makes me horny. I want it to be great in some way, on some level, even if it's horribly loving flawed in other ways, like me; I want it to make me feel great, and a Nissan or a Hyundai makes me feel depressed to drive, because they're so loving thoroughly mediocre. No part of them is awful but none of them is good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Next time just pick the CX5?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Next time just pick the CX5?

No poo poo! I made a snap choice 'cause I'm a loving moron and I asked for a goddamn Wrangler a month in advance and they still didn't have one, so I picked out of the dregs. Because the fleet of Wranglers is tiny as poo poo, because most people hate it. Most people hate things that are very defective in some way, but excellent in others, and I'm starting to think maybe I'm taking that a bit too personally and it's not about the actual vehicle, which is acceptable if mediocre. I mean, I love the Wrangler because of its flaws. It says "hey gently caress you I don't have carplay or cameras, I have body roll like a mad fucker, and I suck 14L/100km, but you'll loving love me anyway," and goddamnit, I really do.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 7, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

PT6A posted:

No poo poo! I made a snap choice 'cause I'm a loving moron and I asked for a goddamn Wrangler a month in advance and they still didn't have one, so I picked out of the dregs. Because the fleet of Wranglers is tiny as poo poo, because most people hate it. Most people hate things that are very defective in some way, but excellent in others, and I'm starting to think maybe I'm taking that a bit too personally and it's not about the actual vehicle, which is acceptable if mediocre. I mean, I love the Wrangler because of its flaws. It says "hey gently caress you I don't have carplay or cameras, I have body roll like a mad fucker, and I suck 14L/100km, but you'll loving love me anyway," and goddamnit, I really do.

I am not a frequent Uber user, but 2 of the last 4 times I’ve used it, I’ve gotten a Wrangler. I guess they’re good for something?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PT6A posted:

Wrangler makes me horny the same as a Mustang makes me horny same as a Hilux makes me horny same as a Golf R makes me horny, same as a Lada Niva makes me horny.
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/happy?s=t

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I can appreciate something that’s great in a singular way, but with finite resources if I don’t have a need for that excellence I’m never going to choose it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Midjack posted:

I can appreciate something that’s great in a singular way, but with finite resources if I don’t have a need for that excellence I’m never going to choose it.

Yes, that's why I'd never buy a Wrangler but I'd loving love to rent one for a week. It's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Don't agree with the "Koreans can't build cars". The Optima is a nice car. You just have to get past the cheap rear end cars. I could never buy the Kona EV for that reason, as it is a cheap rear end car that suddenly costs a ton because of the EV driveline.

To be honest, after getting a taste for not getting ripped off with options bullshit, it'll be hard to buy a new car from other manufacturers.