Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got a regular Xbox One with GamePass, is the Xbox One S the upgrade? I didn’t know that played UHD discs.

Yes, it’s the white one. I haven’t seen any Xbone Black Friday deals so far, but wouldn’t be surprised to see them $200 new. GameStop should have a lot of used stock coming in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got a regular Xbox One with GamePass, is the Xbox One S the upgrade? I didn’t know that played UHD discs.

Edit— do you mean the Xbox One X? It doesn’t seem like the S can play 4K stuff.

Edit again— i was mistaken

For games an XboneS is not an upgrade. For streaming and disc playback, yes. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $~150 for one.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Apparently both of the newest video game systems won't be supporting Dolby Vision? It's super convoluted.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 5, 2020

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want a Dolby Vision player rec. none of this gaming nonsense. I’m not a drooling infant

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alec Eiffel posted:

I want a Dolby Vision player rec. none of this gaming nonsense. I’m not a drooling infant

Whoa hey games are cool and good

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Apparently both of the newest video game systems won't be supporting Dolby Vision? It's super convoluted.

Xbox will for streaming and their new Dolby Vision games thing. PS5 will not do it at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Wouldn't be surprised if DV got patched in on the xboxsx but yeah it's a head scratcher

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My father is confused by Dolby Vision, saying it's like saying you have a High-Definition refrigerator.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Don't worry guys, they'll add on-disc Dolby Vision support in five years with the PS5 Pro and the X Box Series X 1 X. :suicide:

drat, in two or three more generations XBox title is gonna look like a goth kid's username from the '90s.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Don't worry guys, they'll add on-disc Dolby Vision support in five years with the PS5 Pro and the X Box Series X 1 X. :suicide:

drat, in two or three more generations XBox title is gonna look like a goth kid's username from the '90s.

xXboXx XerieX X.0.X

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
As stupid as the implementation of Dolby Vision is on the UBP-X700, I really like the little guy. It’s about $150 on sale.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

As stupid as the implementation of Dolby Vision is on the UBP-X700, I really like the little guy. It’s about $150 on sale.

yea its a hell of a steal. im honestly thinking about getting a region free version as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boywhiz88 posted:

That’s this, right?

Limited-time deal: Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Home Theater Streaming Blu-Ray Player https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HXF9H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_dlT_W9hPFbWHZD4W4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have that one too and it’s a nice player. I’m still hoping they fix that Dolby Vision implementation with a code update but it’s not that bad really. If you’re nerdy enough to be buying UHD physicals, you can go into the menu for 20 seconds to get the HDR set right.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So... just to save me pouring through reviews. Neither console will have DV for uhd discs on launch, is that correct?

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I have Panasonic's UB820 and I love that player. Maybe they will be on sell for black Friday, I'm pretty sure I saw them half off or close to it not too long ago ($500 regular price).

The only problem I've ever had with it is the uhd GiTS (cartoon version) had some weird pulsing in the dolby vision layer. Had to switch that one to hdr 10 and it played fine. Evidently other people with the player had the same issue.

Otherwise it's handles everything like a champ and is even good at upscaling blurays and DVDs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm still disappointed that Xbox One wasn't called Xbox 720.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Microsoft really needs to cut the bull and just call everything xbox.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Lizard Combatant posted:

So... just to save me pouring through reviews. Neither console will have DV for uhd discs on launch, is that correct?

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/xbox-series-x

Atmos is available after downloading a app but DV is streaming only on Xbox Series X. PS5 is shut out

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've only had Xbox One for three years so I'm hoping it isn't going to be obsolete real soon because I almost entirely play online games. But I also use it for streaming and blu-ray so I guess it won't be the end of the world. I'm never even close to be an early adopter on game consoles because I mostly don't care and they're crazy expensive for a while. Xbox SVU or whatever the gently caress it's called is 500 bucks and so is PS5.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

dorium posted:

I think that's the goal with the "Series" branding. They're probably going to do incremental upgrades going going forward within the letter sku, and only doing a dramatic overhaul of the system specs for a new letter cycle. But no matter what, it'll all be the "Xbox Series"

Of course, this all goes to poo poo if the Series doesn't hit, or it does hit in a modest to moderate scale but an executive gets bored and wants to shake things up.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think that's the goal with the "Series" branding. They're probably going to do incremental upgrades going going forward within the letter sku, and only doing a dramatic overhaul of the system specs for a new letter cycle. But no matter what, it'll all be the "Xbox Series"

Of course, this all goes to poo poo if the Series doesn't hit, or it does hit in a modest to moderate scale but an executive gets bored and wants to shake things up.

We'll see the Xbox Series Z at some point in about 3 years. Mark my words. "Z is just as good, in fact is two more than X."

/unexpectedfuturama

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like that Xbox III: Season of the Witch looks like an actual box this time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CPL593H posted:

I like that Xbox III: Season of the Witch looks like an actual box this time.

It's the 4th Xbox though

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Xbox 4: The Return of Master Chief

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Island Nation posted:

It's the 4th Xbox though

I forgot about 360 despite that being the best one, at least in terms of the interface, how it didn't have all the glitches that Xbox One had, and their customer service was amazing. I remember when the original came out my friend thought the big green circle in the middle of the console was going to be a cupholder and was disappointed that it wasn't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
MS has not been able to be consistent about branding ever.

Like it's not really a surprise that they're not the best at marketing since their major product sells itself as much as anything can, but after 2 decades in the console business they're still not great at it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm a little confused about DV, will uhd discs still look awesome on a 4k set with hdr10? Or is it like missing a piece of the puzzle?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm a little confused about DV, will uhd discs still look awesome on a 4k set with hdr10? Or is it like missing a piece of the puzzle?

Dolby Vision is definitely a nice little extra, but UHDs look great with regular HDR10. And a UHD that has Dolby Vision will play in HDR10 if you don't have the hardware for DV, it's not like you have to pick and choose the stuff you buy based on that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

It's almost as bad as the Nintendo Wii U where people had no idea it was even a new console.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can someone clarify what the issue is with the Sony UBP-X700? You have to manually toggle Dolby Vision on/off? Do you have to look at the case for the movie to see if it supports DV?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

david_a posted:

Can someone clarify what the issue is with the Sony UBP-X700? You have to manually toggle Dolby Vision on/off? Do you have to look at the case for the movie to see if it supports DV?
You have to manually turn on Dolby Vision in the settings, after that it should automatically adjust to whatever setting the UHD features, including HDR standard/10/10+, but it can wig out on some discs. The contrast on my original Halloween disc goes bonkers with Dolby Vision enabled.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kingtheninja posted:

Just to go into more detail - Dolby Vision is essentially metadata that handles scene by scene contrast and other settings. It's built on an HDR 10 shell. So you'll still get the increased dynamic range.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
For any other Hammer heads out there, Warner Archive just announced this baby yesterday. Been waiting forever for this release.

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) - 2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION
New 2020 1080p HD Restoration Masters from 4K Scans of Preservation Separation Elements
Run Time: 83:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: Disc One-1.85:1-16x9 Widescreen and 1.66:1-16x9 Widescreen
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: 2-BD 50
Special Features: New feature commentary by Screenwriter/Film Historian Steve Haberman and Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr, Newly Remastered 1.37:1 Open Matte version of feature. New Featurettes include: The Resurrection Men: Hammer, Frankenstein and the Rebirth of the Horror Film, Hideous Progeny: The Curse of Frankenstein and the English Gothic Tradition, Torrents of Light: The Art of Jack Asher, Diabolus in Musica: James Bernard and the Sound of Hammer Horror, Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Origami Dali posted:

For any other Hammer heads out there, Warner Archive just announced this baby yesterday. Been waiting forever for this release.

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) - 2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION
New 2020 1080p HD Restoration Masters from 4K Scans of Preservation Separation Elements
Run Time: 83:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: Disc One-1.85:1-16x9 Widescreen and 1.66:1-16x9 Widescreen
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: 2-BD 50
Special Features: New feature commentary by Screenwriter/Film Historian Steve Haberman and Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr, Newly Remastered 1.37:1 Open Matte version of feature. New Featurettes include: The Resurrection Men: Hammer, Frankenstein and the Rebirth of the Horror Film, Hideous Progeny: The Curse of Frankenstein and the English Gothic Tradition, Torrents of Light: The Art of Jack Asher, Diabolus in Musica: James Bernard and the Sound of Hammer Horror, Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Warner Archive off the top rope with what might be release of the year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive also releasing the following in December

Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 2 (21 shorts)
The Shop Around the Corner
The Harvey Girls
Mister Roberts
Holiday Affair
Young Man with a Horn
It Happened on 5th Avenue

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Deep Discount has that big gently caress off Friday the 13th box set for 130, which is basically what everyone else has it for. BUT. When you go on the site a thing pops up where you can enter an email address to get an addition 10% off. And shipping is free.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In addition to the Criterion sale, Arrow just announced their own Barnes & Noble 50% off sale. Ends 11/30.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In addition to the Criterion sale, Arrow just announced their own Barnes & Noble 50% off sale. Ends 11/30.

Oh sweet mother of gently caress :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
...goddammit

EDIT:

Granted, it's still cheaper to buy from Arrow UK. v:v:v