Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

SMDP is the scourge, but the spoiler effect has been talked about for at least 60 years, probably longer (Downs is the dude I've read, there's a good chance there were others before him, though). Let's not pretend there aren't serious downsides to "voting for who you support" in first-past-the-post.

Correct, fptp makes 3rd parties a waste of time except in areas where it is Dem vs Dem anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"This system sucks and here's why."

Can we maybe use a different system?

"No this poo poo sucks but it's what we got. Play the game, you loving moron."

But I'm hungry and broke?

"VOTE."

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Refusing to adapt to the broken system does not fix it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My friend, you were going to be hungry and broke no matter who won the Mayoral race. As for changing the system this seems like an ideal moment to get to work on getting ranked choice for Multnomah county. Maybe get the DSA involved because they contributed to a fantastically well run campaign in Preschool for All. Seriously, that ballot initiative hit so many hurdles and just obliterated all of them.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Qylvaran posted:

Refusing to adapt to the broken system does not fix it.

Tell black people to “adapt” to getting shot by a cop, got it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Reform is a word privileged folks get to use when they aren't the ones staring down the barrel of a gun on a daily basis.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Let’s be real, it’s just about the modern political reality and not a stale narrative or anything

quote:

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

"This system sucks and here's why."

Can we maybe use a different system?

"No this poo poo sucks but it's what we got. Play the game, you loving moron."

But I'm hungry and broke?

"VOTE."
We should definitely loving fix the system. This is a thing people should be out in the streets protesting. That being said, it's like the American tipping system: the system is loving bullshit, and outright abusive, but if you're going to participate (e.g. voting or going out to eat), it's best to do it within the system (e.g. voting for candidates who have a shot at winning, tipping your servers).

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm not sure how the white moderate quote applies here. Unless you're talking about Raiford's lack of support in the primary or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'd rather just vote a waiter into office

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seeing Wheeler get reelected doesn't give me much hope that Durkan gets her rear end kicked out next election.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Seeing Wheeler get reelected doesn't give me much hope that Durkan gets her rear end kicked out next election.

Especially given that this is a Presidential election year, and next year isn't even a Congressional election year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Getting working people involved and in office would be great. Nobody like that was on the ballot.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

e: I like to think a presidential year when you don't have Mr. Shoot em in the legs at the top of the ballot would be a good thing.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 5, 2020

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not sure how the white moderate quote applies here. Unless you're talking about Raiford's lack of support in the primary or something.

Attacking a black candidate (and her supporters) instead of the white people who voted for the white supremacists because they aren’t being “strategic” is pretty gross. To tell people to be patient on the whole getting murdered thing instead of figuring out why they don’t play your game (hint it’s because the game adapts too to continue exploiting black people) isn’t a good argument.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'd call protests, ballot initiatives, or even armed revolt "adaptation" in this sense. I just mean doing something that starts with acknowledging the reality of the situation. There are theoretical reasons to run as a third party candidate in our current system, but they all come at the expense of the candidate that people voting for you would be voting for otherwise, almost always to the benefit of the candidate least like you.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Thaddius the Large posted:

Attacking a black candidate (and her supporters) instead of the white people who voted for the white supremacists because they aren’t being “strategic” is pretty gross. To tell people to be patient on the whole getting murdered thing instead of figuring out why they don’t play your game (hint it’s because the game adapts too to continue exploiting black people) isn’t a good argument.

I'm not telling anyone to be patient. I'm saying the best move for the here and now was to elect the person who's sworn to get the Portland police commissioner role out of the hands of a white supremacist instead of voting for someone who had zero chance of winning. The fact that we couldn't get Ted out of office in this environment means the people who share the goal of a more equitable and just Portland lost. I view most Raiford's supporters overwhelmingly as my allies in the pursuit of a better community. I'm not disappointed in Wheeler voters for the same reason I'm not disappointed in Trump voters. I think they mostly knew what they were getting and wanted it. They wanted Law and Order over justice and equity. So politically they're my enemies.

And for the record I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Iannarone didn't do near enough to build a coalition after progressing to the general. Raiford's pursuit of ideals over outcomes was selfish. Hardesty showed horrible political instincts not running, then supporting Ted, then withdrawing support for Ted well after it would have mattered. It's a huge mess that we all clearly saw coming but couldn't swerve to avoid. We hosed up bad and it sucks.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not telling anyone to be patient. I'm saying the best move for the here and now was to elect the person who's sworn to get the Portland police commissioner role out of the hands of a white supremacist instead of voting for someone who had zero chance of winning. The fact that we couldn't get Ted out of office in this environment means the people who share the goal of a more equitable and just Portland lost. I view most Raiford's supporters overwhelmingly as my allies in the pursuit of a better community. I'm not disappointed in Wheeler voters for the same reason I'm not disappointed in Trump voters. I think they mostly knew what they were getting and wanted it. They wanted Law and Order over justice and equity. So politically they're my enemies.

And for the record I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Iannarone didn't do near enough to build a coalition after progressing to the general. Raiford's pursuit of ideals over outcomes was selfish. Hardesty showed horrible political instincts not running, then supporting Ted, then withdrawing support for Ted well after it would have mattered. It's a huge mess that we all clearly saw coming but couldn't swerve to avoid. We hosed up bad and it sucks.

You’re totally right about there being blame to go around, but I see this in a way you framed it earlier, folks were going to be hungry and broke no matter who won, and thousands of people didn’t see Iannarone as being a better option than Wheeler. Maybe that was her campaign not doing the right outreach and winning black voters, maybe it was because some people don’t believe a white person can ever represent them, etc etc, as you say there are plenty of reasons, but the only way it works to say that this was a strategic vote is if people accept that electoral model as being how their lives are governed. The names on the door can change but the treatment doesn’t, so why bother with either of them? I’m not saying I agree with that, but it’s been the perspective of the people I know that support Raiford, and I think that’s a perspective worth respecting. Winning or losing or even what the system is can be up for debate, so reducing it to “you can only have Iannarone vs Wheeler” is convenient for our purposes but isn’t how everyone sees it. Our political reality is defined by far more than elected officials, a cop shooting a random black person is also exercising political force, albeit extrajudicial.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Totally agree that elections are not the only political theater. Hell I don't think they even make up a majority of the political landscape. Where we seem to disagree is exactly where pragmatism should be deployed and what that looks like. I view the prospects of any write in campaign as basically doomed and haven't heard a convincing argument from Raiford supporters about what a vote for her gets us. Frankly I don't like Iannarone or Raiford or really anyone who ran in the primary this year. Still, I care about the the political dynamics. If Iannarone had won she would have done so with a voting block of BLM/Care Not Cops etc. support and she would have known it. I think that would put her in a position where she'd be more receptive to pressure from those groups. Conversely, Wheeler just won with all those political forces aligned against him. I fear he's going to run even further authoritarian in response. In light of this dynamic I don't understand the six of one, half dozen of the other thinking on this race. Wheeler is almost certain to be a worse version of himself the next 4 years. I'd be surprised if anyone thought Iannarone was likely to reach that level of awful.

Regardless we've got a lot of work to do to hold poo poo together the next few years. Hopefully this can be a come to Jesus moment to get ourselves more organized. The ballot measure success this year is encouraging on that front at least.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The question is whether it's worth letting Wheeler win in order to make a point. I think there's definitely an argument to be made that it is, but you should go in knowing that writing in in this case, that was what you were voting for.

But "you should always vote for whatever candidate best fits your ideology in this two-party SMDP hellscape" is some stupid poo poo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why don't we try to campaign for rank choice voting? Push it as a ballot initiative?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Apparently it's already a thing in Benton County so no reason we can't do the same in Multnomah.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why don't we try to campaign for rank choice voting? Push it as a ballot initiative?

Yes, do this. Change the failed system instead of just failing on purpose.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The thing about electing the less distasteful mainstream candidate is you become part of their winning coalition, so even if you are cynical about their true beliefs, they know they might need you to get re-elected and that grants influence.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Frankly I don't like Iannarone or Raiford or really anyone who ran in the primary this year. Still, I care about the the political dynamics. If Iannarone had won she would have done so with a voting block of BLM/Care Not Cops etc. support and she would have known it. I think that would put her in a position where she'd be more receptive to pressure from those groups.

This is fundamentally the wrong conclusion that leads to electability politics. "If we compromise and vote in this wishy washy half-solution candidate, they'll know we were a big part of their coalition and we can push them to do the right thing!"

Nope. We have representative government officials, not recallable delegates. They're in office now; your leverage as a voter existed solely during their campaign when their victory was in doubt and they needed to build a voting coalition to win by adopting policy positions of that coalition. Your ability to pressure them is now zero until the next election in which they will point at Hitler 2 (because there's always Hitler 2) and make the exact same argument that they did last time, except with even more confidence that they'll get away with it and scare people into re-electing them. Their concerns in office are always going to be driven far more by their partners in government and business that are required to actually implement their agenda, and guess what? Those include the entrenched players (like cop unions and BIDs) that you're struggling against.

There really shouldn't be any expectation at all of "pressuring" an incumbent elected official to take a more radical stance than the one they entered office with, unless you're prepared to use a sustained direct action campaign that totally jams their ability to govern as a mechanism to force a concession. And at that point, you're just fighting the power of the government in the street again. And it loving sucks.

Edit: I think ranked choice/IRV helps with this a bit, but ultimately doesn't solve the issue. Fully recallable delegation is a better solution but a) outside mainstream political discourse and b) harder to implement in a way ranked choice isn't because it's just a different ballot design but everything else about the election logistics is exactly the same.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2020

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think that's reductive especially in the environment of a solidly D city mayoral election. A theoretical Iannarone challenger could be far to her left. Plus keeping your political allies your friends has a lot more value for someone Iess likely to land a cushy boardroom job like congress creatures invariably fall into.

Even if you're entirely right the truth of this specific election stands. Ted Wheeler will be Mayor and even if Sarah were to be the worst version of herself that's almost certainly better than Wheeler when it comes to reigning in the cops.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Thanatosian posted:

But "you should always vote for whatever candidate best fits your ideology in this two-party SMDP hellscape" is some stupid poo poo.

nobody is saying "you should always vote for whatever candidate best fits your ideology" because if we truly believed that many of us would never cast another vote. what we're asking is that people stop ignoring the fact that these elections are intersections of a myriad of issues. trying to consistently pin the election outcomes on one single aspect of the entire race is cheap, lazy, and fundamentally undemocratic.

folks want to scream about raiford voters (despite having no idea how much they actually affected the final vote count thanks to multco's refusal to tally them as anything other than 'write in') but don't seem to be chirping nearly as much over wheeler's massive campaign finance violations because, well, it's easier to criticize those out of power than hold those in power accountable.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Eggnogium posted:

The thing about electing the less distasteful mainstream candidate is you become part of their winning coalition, so even if you are cynical about their true beliefs, they know they might need you to get re-elected and that grants influence.

*citations needed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think that's reductive especially in the environment of a solidly D city mayoral election. A theoretical Iannarone challenger could be far to her left.

We have a Democratic mayor in Seattle, in a city that has elected no one except Democrats in 40 years, who owns 50 acres on a resort island, lives in a 5,000 square foot mansion in the richest neighborhood the city, who put random 20-something punk kids in solitary confinement for months after Mayday 2012 to try to get them to flip on an illusory PNW leftist radical organization's other members, came into office on a law & order and establishment/status-quo campaign with over $1mil in mostly corporate donations and since taking office has gassed protesters and entire neighborhoods and uses COINTELPRO style tactics on local organizers. Being solidly Democratic means little except that you need a D next to your name to win. Says nothing about whether the people who win under that banner are going to be responsive to the concerns of the people whatsoever.

It's a bit silly to expect people to take "well, we could threaten her with a left challenger to put pressure on her" as a serious argument when the historical record is the exact opposite for anyone who assumes office under a mantle of progressivism. It's also a bit silly to think that a theoretical election threat 4 years in the future is going to be an effective pressure mechanism.

quote:

Plus keeping your political allies your friends has a lot more value for someone Iess likely to land a cushy boardroom job like congress creatures invariably fall into.

Supporting someone who doesn't back your positions and over whom you have no effective negotiating leverage with which to force them into it doesn't make you an ally, it makes you a pawn.

quote:

Even if you're entirely right the truth of this specific election stands. Ted Wheeler will be Mayor and even if Sarah were to be the worst version of herself that's almost certainly better than Wheeler when it comes to reigning in the cops.

Sure. Maybe. I think it's an equally valid perspective that someone with a platform that includes increasing training for cops would be an utter waste of space and accomplish nothing toward the end of reigning in the cops.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

nobody is saying "you should always vote for whatever candidate best fits your ideology" because if we truly believed that many of us would never cast another vote. what we're asking is that people stop ignoring the fact that these elections are intersections of a myriad of issues.

Actually people ARE saying that. And TBH their argument is more coherent than yours. The reason people aren’t criticizing Wheeler or his voters is because they view them as the enemy. If you lose a battle you don’t gripe that the enemy was unfair and criticize them for fighting you, you work with your allies to adjust your tactics so you can win next time.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Eggnogium posted:

If you lose a battle you don’t gripe that the enemy was unfair and criticize them for fighting you, you work with your allies to adjust your tactics so you can win next time.

are you loving kidding me lmao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Take the high road and tip your cap whilst doing so!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Just gonna Kramer in here and say if Raiford got 13% as a write in she was clearly the better more electable candidate and it's actually Iannarone voters who caused tgt to get elected by voting for a milquetoast white lady and vote shaming and if they had just held their noses and voted for the better option we wouldn't be here.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

It’s not about the high road, it’s about brooking tactical criticism so that the left can actually one day win more than a tiny sliver of power in this country.

But they never will because the same people who think voting is unimportant also are completely insecure about their vote being criticized.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Just gonna Kramer in here and say if Raiford got 13% as a write in she was clearly the better more electable candidate and it's actually Iannarone voters who caused tgt to get elected by voting for a milquetoast white lady and vote shaming and if they had just held their noses and voted for the better option we wouldn't be here.

Agreed, Iannarone should not have run and her and her voters should have focused on promoting Raiford. That would have been the pragmatic way to advance the left cause.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Eggnogium posted:

It’s not about the high road, it’s about brooking tactical criticism so that the left can actually one day win more than a tiny sliver of power in this country.

But they never will because the same people who think voting is unimportant also are completely insecure about their vote being criticized.

What about Sarah Iannarone would you describe as "left" exactly?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Raiford lost in the open primary and then decided that she was going to run a write in. I don't understand how anyone can justify someone losing the primary and then deciding to split the vote by running in the general. It's incredibly lovely.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I thought she didn't run and that's why no one should have voted for her though

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

What about Sarah Iannarone would you describe as "left" exactly?

Really? As compared to Wheeler?

Oh wait no, you’re either still on square one where you either don’t understand the basic mathematical rules of FPTP elections or believe in accelerationism. In either case, I’m too tired to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

therobit posted:

Raiford lost in the open primary and then decided that she was going to run a write in.

raiford did not campaign, promote, or provide any material support for the write-in initiative but go off i guess