Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

moosecow333 posted:

For some reason I really want to hate that holiday special even though I love all the other LEGO stuff and I’m a massive fan of time travel shenanigans.

Maybe I’m expecting the writing to be such slop that it has Rey going back in time to fix all of the problems and the accomplishments of the OG crew are going to be even further undermined as a result.

Or maybe I’m thinking too much about a lego movie and I should just get really drunk before I see it so my broken Star Wars brain doesn’t ruin it for me.

You are absolutely thinking too much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I say this christmas, buy your kids a book

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FunkyAl posted:

I say this christmas, buy your kids a book

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Disney's even ruining the Visual Dictionary's! Every fold and crease on every pair of pants should have a detailed history! Facial expressions should be labeled! Every errant piece of greeble should have it's exact technobabble explanation given! This is just lazy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This christmas, give your children freedom from a lifetime of disappointment and brain problems with the gift of a ban of star wars from your household in perpetuity

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1324459271057264640

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I'm 4 minutes in and holy poo poo this video sucks.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Cartoon Man posted:

I’d rather hear about the Tragedy of Darth Plagius the Wise.

Serious question time: The “Darth Plagius” story is just supposed to be some bullshit Sheev made up on the spot to win over Anakin, right?

Just like Han’s Kessel run story is pure bullshit?

Just like Anakin’s mom saying he doesn’t have a father is a polite way of telling Qui-Gon “he was probably some deadbeat pilot that didn’t stick around. Please don’t ask me about this, especially in front of my young son, guy I just met.”?

None of this is meant to imply some expanded universe nonsense.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pulcinella posted:

Serious question time: The “Darth Plagius” story is just supposed to be some bullshit Sheev made up on the spot to win over Anakin, right?

[...]

My take is that "the story of Darth Plagius" is a legit Sith story, since in the fiction of Star Wars the Sith were a religion who had a culture that had stories, and presumably anyone with Space Jstor access can just go and look them up if they want to — but that there's no reason to think that Darth Plagius was a real person anymore than Lion and Fox from Aesop's Fables were real talking animals.

There definitely isn't anything to suggest that Palpatine knew the guy personally.

Keep in mind that the moral of the story is that DP got what was coming to him for denying his apprentice their inheritance. Palpatine was trying to appeal to Anakin's resentment, not to his compassion.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 6, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pulcinella posted:

Just like Han’s Kessel run story is pure bullshit?

Just like Anakin’s mom saying he doesn’t have a father is a polite way of telling Qui-Gon “he was probably some deadbeat pilot that didn’t stick around. Please don’t ask me about this, especially in front of my young son, guy I just met.”?

The look on Palpatine's face when he said, "Ironic..." made me think it was a legit story, and he took legit pleasure from murdering the poo poo out of Plagueis. I don't think that was part of the cover, though I guess it's possible. I think he was really telling the story of how he killed his master.

I'm not even gonna get into the EU, because it doesn't count, and especially double doesn't count now. I'm just talking about how I read the scene itself.

Anakin's mom's story is...more complicated, and I've never known how to read that. I think Lucas wanted us to read it at face value, but I really don't know how I feel about it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The way Sheev is practically orgasming at the thought of killing Plagueis and him talking like he was personally acquainted with him implies that he was really was Sidious' master and he killed him, but him achieving immortality is bogus. Palpatine goes from saying Plagues taught him all his knowledge to tempt Anakin, then goes straight to "Well technically I don't actually know, but Plagueis knew trust me!" in the span of seconds once Anakin has put himself on the path of no return via killing Windu. I suspect had Anakin not stopped caring about immortality due to his reason for seeking it being gone, Palpatine would have had to increasingly backtrack his promises to "Well Plagueis didn't know either but it's still theoretically possible!" and so on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

galagazombie posted:

The way Sheev is practically orgasming at the thought of killing Plagueis and him talking like he was personally acquainted with him implies that he was really was Sidious' master and he killed him, but him achieving immortality is bogus. Palpatine goes from saying Plagues taught him all his knowledge to tempt Anakin, then goes straight to "Well technically I don't actually know, but Plagueis knew trust me!" in the span of seconds once Anakin has put himself on the path of no return via killing Windu. I suspect had Anakin not stopped caring about immortality due to his reason for seeking it being gone, Palpatine would have had to increasingly backtrack his promises to "Well Plagueis didn't know either but it's still theoretically possible!" and so on.

Oh, yeah, I totally agree with that. In fact, I'm not really sure why, after Mace Windu was killed, Anakin didn't say, "Are you loving kidding me? You don't know how to stop death?" I guess at that point he was in for a penny.

I also guess the sequel trilogy also retcons this as Sheev actually having the secret to immortality? A lovely immortality, but immortality all the same?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 6, 2020

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Even as a teenager without taste or sense I couldn't make it more than halfway through the first one. And people said these were the "good" ones!

Lol

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Say what you will about the Thrawn Trilogy (I've never read them), but Heir to the Empire and The Last Command are so much better as titles than The Force Awakens and especially The Rise of Skywalker.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Glottis posted:

I'm 4 minutes in and holy poo poo this video sucks.

sum it up for me

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Where are we discussing Mandalorian?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TVIV

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Horizon Burning posted:

sum it up for me

'the treatment of droids in star wars is hosed up and i choose to think of this as a moral failing on the writers' part'

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ungulateman posted:

'the treatment of droids in star wars is hosed up and i choose to think of this as a moral failing on the writers' part'

He said he didn't know if it was intentional, but that the writers want to have it both ways of both using droids as a comic relief but also portraying them as tortured slaves, which are at odds with each other because the comic relief comes from their suffering.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the only time it ever really came across as weird and tone deaf to me was in Solo. no idea what the idea was there

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Immortality in the Plagueis story is just a metaphor for test tube snokes, shoving your soul into a new clone, and healing wounds on your boyfriend/a giant snake

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the basic issue is that enemy combatants always gets treated weirdly in movies that aren't extremely serious, and star wars takes the easy out by making the enemy combatants 'inhuman'. his big initial premise is 'the protagonists are treated like people and the minor antagonists are not' - no poo poo! that also applies to characters who aren't droids, like the stormtroopers in the ot.

one of the interesting quirks of star wars is that the good guys also own slaves and (for the most part) totally lack self-awareness about it, while the narrative quietly affirms the droids' personhood, even the goofy as hell, 'expendable' battle droids.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

ungulateman posted:

the basic issue is that enemy combatants always gets treated weirdly in movies that aren't extremely serious, and star wars takes the easy out by making the enemy combatants 'inhuman'. his big initial premise is 'the protagonists are treated like people and the minor antagonists are not' - no poo poo! that also applies to characters who aren't droids, like the stormtroopers in the ot.

one of the interesting quirks of star wars is that the good guys also own slaves and (for the most part) totally lack self-awareness about it, while the narrative quietly affirms the droids' personhood, even the goofy as hell, 'expendable' battle droids.

I would not call it a quirk, but a motif that is properly seen with the full context of the other films.

In a sense, the prequel trilogy took the easy way out when Episode 1 introduced droids as the 'enemy fodder', which allowed for the most devastating of the super sweet Jedi light saber moves to be fully displayed in a children's film. But then Episode 2 brings genetically modified human soldiers into the mix as commodities, born & bred to be bought & sold by the ostensible 'Good guys' of the films. And of course, Episode 3 shows how this decision ultimately dooms the Jedi Order & the Republic itself.

But the original trilogy not only had, as you said, humans as the 'enemy fodder', but also, in the very first film, introduced droids as the personable & relatable protagonists (Despite one of them speaking in literal "Beeps" and "Boops") being bought as commodities by the ostensible 'Good guys' of the film. It's against this backdrop that the prequel trilogy operates, and the way Star Wars treats the filmic concept of 'enemy fodder' becomes commentary on the ideological depiction of war itself.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 7, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the original sketches of Star Wars the Emperor had been around for a thousand years and only later revisions had the Empire be a relatively recent thing. The idea that the Emperor is a character linked to a form of immortality has always been floating around the background notes of the IP.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Mandrel posted:

the only time it ever really came across as weird and tone deaf to me was in Solo. no idea what the idea was there

TROS is maybe even worse

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

*throws stick of dynamite*

Which trilogy ended worse? Sequel trilogy or Mass Effect trilogy?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

AdmiralViscen posted:

TROS is maybe even worse

I honestly cannot remember poo poo from that movie beyond the main set pieces and even they run together. Like people were talking about “Jannah” earlier and I have no idea who that is. Was that the black girl they introduce so Finn has a racially appropriate girlfriend and then kinda maybe hint she’s also Lando’s daughter he abandoned?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sequel trilogy easily. It’s been forever since I played it but I don’t remember hating the ending. Like I remember it being underwhelming and lame and having that lazy button thing where you literally just choose good/bad ending and then they’re both a wet fart, but it wasn’t like... incoherent. I remember thinking it followed pretty logically from how the story was going, just that the logical outcome was uninspired and lovely. And it didn’t have anything as laughable as “I’m Rey... Rey Skywalker”

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Aren't the first two ME games at least passable, compared to the first two films of a trilogy that have completely different tone and characters from one another it makes you wonder what trilogy people are actually talking about, because TFA and TLJ mesh about as well as peanut butter and allergies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Aren't the first two ME games at least passable, compared to the first two films of a trilogy that have completely different tone and characters from one another it makes you wonder what trilogy people are actually talking about, because TFA and TLJ mesh about as well as peanut butter and allergies

ME1 and ME2 are pretty distinct, top to bottom. Its just they're both pretty good and succeed at being satisfying self contained stories that the fact they don't go well together is ignorable. The third game's difficulty also isn't retconning the second, its that the second has nothing really to say and so it there are no like, established themes for the third to wrap up so it kind of does its own thing really badly. So its bad, buts its clumsy bad not "I have to tell my story and invalidate your story" at the same time bad.

Its ending is also like, mediocre but serviceable while Rise of the Skywalker is a motherflipping gravity well of bad.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

I would not call it a quirk, but a motif that is properly seen with the full context of the other films.

In a sense, the prequel trilogy took the easy way out when Episode 1 introduced droids as the 'enemy fodder', which allowed for the most devastating of the super sweet Jedi light saber moves to be fully displayed in a children's film.

One of the gravest sins of capitalism is making the proletariat feel complicit in the sins of the bourgeois so the working class unwittingly strengthens the roots to perpetuate the machine. In that sense, the prequels worked great in getting kids to fall in love with the Jedi establishment and otherize their enemies only to slowly realize the true enemy of equality as the series goes on.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Both ME3 and RoS have one thing in common: way better fan/original endings than the actual product!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RoS would've been better if they'd used Yub Nub as the ending song

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Mass Effect's ending wasn't really bad in and of itself, but was poorly executed in such a way as to specifically piss off fans of the series. Rise Of Skywalker is basically executed fine but the actual content is uhh deranged

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mass Effect had impressive cinematic aspirations, but games have a long way to go before they can be as stupid as The Rise of Skywalker proves movies can be.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like the ST ending. I think it’s weird they stopped at 2 movies tho.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The AI telling you it needs to do the thing because conflict between organic and synthetic life is inevitable a few hours after you solved the intractable conflict between a synthetic race and its organic creators and your character can only go 'okay I guess that checks out' is also extremely bad writing and just as brainless a way to end as Rise of Skywalker imo

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

both trilogies were crippled by being overly concerned with negative audience reception, though more so Star Wars

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
ME3 needed a patch so that it didn't seem like the entire galaxy had literally exploded.

On the other hand Tuchunka was a fantastic conclusion to major plot threads that had been running through the entire series and which involved multiple well-loved characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The ME3 ending was actually made worse by the Extended Cut patch.