Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes South Tampa (and the main road, Kennedy Dr) floods on sunny days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1324545533260816384?s=20

?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

what's the ETA on Eta

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh for gently caress's sake

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

PostNouveau posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake

Weatherdammerung 2020: Oh for gently caress's sake

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Eta suddenly spots lake charles in the distance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone found a magic lamp in the Mayan ruins.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Starting a gofundme to help climate refugees flee Lake Charles

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lake charles gonna be a perfectly circular bay at this point

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

all the models have it staying weak until it dissipates in the gulf

haha who am i kidding let's wait and see

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Go home Eta ya drunk.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol goddamn I don't think I've seen this gif in like 10 years, v cool thank you

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol when i first saw the map i thought it was showing the route as moving from the gulf to guatemala but i had to read the next few posts to realize that actually its being predicted to turn completely around

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

VectorSigma posted:

Weatherdammerung 2020: Oh for gently caress's sake

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Vesi posted:

Eta suddenly spots lake charles in the distance

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Lots of tampa especially on the water is barely above sea level, there's a lot of wetlands especially around the rivers emptying into the bay and that canal running across the St Pete peninsula. That bit stuck out into the bay in the middle of the picture has an air force base down at the tip and is otherwise pretty densely populated, and already regularly floods in heavy rain

Storm surge is only a major issue if the wind is pushing water in from the mouth of the bay, which is a pretty narrow opening and requires a hurricane come from a pretty specific and unlikely direction

Odds the AF loses a bunch of planes like they did at Tyndall a few years back

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Starting a gofundme to help climate refugees flee Lake Charles

You know this is a joke because aid to climate refugees isn't going to happen in this country

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I rolled into Cincinnati for the first time on November 1st 2012, and the parking lot of the extended stay I lived in for the next 6 weeks was iced over.

In November 2020, we're pushing record breaking heat this week.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know this is a joke because aid to climate refugees isn't going to happen in this country

It's not a joke! Gofundmes are the only aid that still exists in this country

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Odds the AF loses a bunch of planes like they did at Tyndall a few years back

I looked it up and that base is mostly just for aerial refueling tankers but it is also hq for CENTCOM and SOCOM lol

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

hell yeah i got titles on two weather threads at the same time

helluva year aint it

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

VectorSigma posted:

tampa is for sure in no way "protected" it just sits in a spot where there is less probability to get smashed under the current regime compared to the more familiar scenarios. nudge a few variables and that unlikelihood can erode, either under the duress of the law of large numbers or a change in synoptic patterns.

throw enough storms that way, one's bound to hit eventually.

I know it's not funny, but I can't stop laughing at this conversation followed only days later by maps like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WaffleZombie posted:

I know it's not funny, but I can't stop laughing at this conversation followed only days later by maps like this:

This is the weirdest goddamn storm

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That map reads like they've given up. gently caress it, could go anywhere. If you're in the Carribean, it'll get you sooner or later.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Deformed Church posted:

That map reads like they've given up. gently caress it, could go anywhere. If you're in the Carribean, it'll get you sooner or later.

well the administration is now officially turning over does NOAA have lameduckitis?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Deformed Church posted:

yeah a hurricane cone opening up into a giant circle like that might as well be a huge ? on the map

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The models still don’t know what to do with this thing after like Wednesday. Hence why that cone is so big.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over posted:

go home eta, you're drunk

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

did we consider that a possible consequence of global warming might just be a tropical storm or hurricane that sits near-motionless in the gulf for months and completely scours away everything on the adjacent coasts

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Cup Runneth Over posted:

go home eta, you're drunk

Eta, slurring: "Oh-kay but firsht I'mma do some donutsh in the Gulf firsht" *peels out*

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Cup Runneth Over posted:

did we consider that a possible consequence of global warming might just be a tropical storm or hurricane that sits near-motionless in the gulf for months and completely scours away everything on the adjacent coasts

I asked like a month back what would have happened if something as large as Tip had made its way into the Gulf and the result was horrifying :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Look at these models making GBS threads themselves in a different way

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1325528821332893702?s=21

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look at these models making GBS threads themselves in a different way

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1325528821332893702?s=21

red's little loop is cool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gulf should still have enough warm thermal mass to power it up some more right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gulf should still have enough warm thermal mass to power it up some more right

yeah, hurricane season doesn't end until nov 30

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

most of the heat is in the loop current, who knows where it goes after that

water seems to be cooling off a little this past week. also you can see hurricane teddy zip by there on the right in late september

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The storm is expected to encounter dry air in the next couple of days which is why it's not expected to go above minimal Cat 1 at the highest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The storm is expected to encounter dry air in the next couple of days which is why it's not expected to go above minimal Cat 1 at the highest

so it's a guaranteed cat 4 then?