Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Is Gintama worth watching?
I’m up to ep16 and I like the cast and their utter idiocy, and the incomprehensible jokes that fly all over me due to my poor familiarity with japan/anime are hilarious ( i recognized lone wolf and cub random appearance as wolf aliens).
But I know it gets serious down the line and some semi-serious moments until now have that “foreigners bad, samurai good” vibe that is a bit creepy, and if it goes too much down the nationalistic, jingoistic path would prefer to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I’m up to ep16 and I like the cast and their utter idiocy, and the incomprehensible jokes that fly all over me due to my poor familiarity with japan/anime are hilarious ( i recognized lone wolf and cub random appearance as wolf aliens).
But I know it gets serious down the line and some semi-serious moments until now have that “foreigners bad, samurai good” vibe that is a bit creepy, and if it goes too much down the nationalistic, jingoistic path would prefer to avoid it.

It takes quite a long time before it gets consistency serious and even then it's a lot more nuanced than that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The point of Gintama definitely isn't 'samurai good, foreigners bad.' As for getting serious, its more like it has serious arcs that last a dozen or so episodes at most, then shifts back to comedy, then repeat. It definitely never drops the comedy.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
A while ago, I randomly read a single chapter of an anthology. I've been looking for it. The premise is that a bar owner builds a robot to be a waitress in his bar. This robot looks convincingly human, but its weak AI is only capable of repeating back things you say to it with minor variations. Naturally, most of the salaryman patrons fall in love with it, since their ideal is a pretty face that always agrees with them and never thinks for herself. For example:

Bar patron: That is a nice dress!
Waitress: This is a nice dress?

Bar patron: You should go on a date with me sometime!
Waitress: Maybe I will go on a date with you sometime.

Does anyone know this manga?

By the way, the wiki link in the OP is a dead link.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nebrilos posted:

By the way, the wiki link in the OP is a dead link.

Here's a backup of the ADTRW wiki
https://adtrw.nulani.net

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

it's wildly inconsistent but the good episodes are really good

if you've watched 16 episodes and you're still on the fence skip ahead to episode 25, it's standalone and you shouldn't need too much context to understand it

e: if the only thing you're worried about is the thematic/political part other folks have covered that, this is just my overall impression of it as a comedy show

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 1, 2020

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Julias posted:

Just shotgunning them here, but:
Hinamatsuri

This show is funny/weird as hell and I'm not the emotional type at all, but there's a part halfway through that made me actually cry

Pretty pro-watch

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My baby sister is 13 and really getting in to anime. I've rec'd Given and Free!! to her since she's getting in to BL stuff but it's been a long time since I was in that scene so I'm not sure what's good.

She's repeatedtly watched Black Butler and Tsubasa and really loved them. Aside from those she's a big Naruto/Boruto, Demon Slayer, Haikyuu, and MHA fan.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 1, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My baby sister is 13 and really getting in to anime. I've rec'd Given and Free!! to her since she's getting in to BL stuff but it's been a long time since I was in that scene so I'm not sure what's good.

She's repeatedtly watched Black Butler and Tsubasa and really loved them. Aside from those she's a big Naruto/Boruto, Demon Slayer, Haikyuu, and MHA fan.
If she's into shonen in the demon slayer mold she could check out FMA: Brotherhood? And if she's into Haikyuu, Run Like The Wind? It's a sports anime by the same studio so it looks and feels pretty similar even if the writing has a somewhat different tone.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If they haven't seen it yet, they will prolly love Yuri On Ice

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Kono Danshi ovas are pretty mild and have sweet stories; CR has two of them:
This Boy Suffers from Crystallization (romance is student x teacher if that's an issue)
This Boy is a Professional Wizard (the most recent one and imo the best of the bunch)

The other two shouldn't be terribly hard to find, I think I watched them both on youtube:
This Boy Caught a Merman
This Boy Can Fight Aliens

The animation is more like a motion comic just fyi

e: Noragami and Bungo Stray Dogs are also action shows that are big with the fujo audience

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 1, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
After watching Texhnolyze, I could really go for another show that's as intensely atmospheric. Like, something that you don't watch as much as you experience.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Darth Walrus posted:

After watching Texhnolyze, I could really go for another show that's as intensely atmospheric. Like, something that you don't watch as much as you experience.

Serial Experiments Lain. It even has a similar cyberpunk aesthetic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Keep an eye on the new Shaman King anime releasing in April, she'll probably love that.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Thanks everyone! I can't believe I blanked on Yuri on Ice, that's totally up her alley. Noragami too. The new Shaman King will probably be for me but I'll try it with her and see if I can get her in to Yu Yu Hakusho at the same time.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Tulalip Tulips posted:

new Shaman King

Omg what?? Son I am excite about Shaman King

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Is this the proper place to ask for a manga recommendation? I'm looking for more manga to read, but it's hard to find good manga. I seem to prefer comedy or drama over action and generally prefer manga that doesn't involve high school.

Examples of things I liked: Dungeon Meshi, Spy X Family, Hotel (Boichi), The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children, Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
Bobobo-bobo-bobo's manga is hilarious, and is actually over with like 30 books in total. Most of it didnt get officially translated, but its online and basically official. Theres hardly any merch for it on purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4iKuYK9wxc

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Thanks everyone! I can't believe I blanked on Yuri on Ice, that's totally up her alley. Noragami too. The new Shaman King will probably be for me but I'll try it with her and see if I can get her in to Yu Yu Hakusho at the same time.

DNANGEL is about the best gift an older sister can give her younger.

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 1, 2020

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

Is this the proper place to ask for a manga recommendation? I'm looking for more manga to read, but it's hard to find good manga. I seem to prefer comedy or drama over action and generally prefer manga that doesn't involve high school.

Examples of things I liked: Dungeon Meshi, Spy X Family, Hotel (Boichi), The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children, Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To

The Surreal Daily Life Manga Thread has consistently provided great recommendations for years now. The OP is chock full of high quality reads. Some of my favorites would be The Voynich Hotel, Jitsu wa Watashi wa, and Hinamatsuri.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Check out Casshern Sins if you haven't already.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Gilgamesh

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

non non biyori

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Shigurui has the same director and definitely hits "atmospheric" in an oppressively miserable summer way

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Shigurui has the same director and definitely hits "atmospheric" in an oppressively miserable summer way

This one's good too

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Hey guys quick question looking for a recommendation; what's the best currently airing or just finished airing sci-fi anime that doesn't involve other worlds, video games, or fanservice? hard sci-fi would be a plus. looking specifically for newer stuff from 2018-2020.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Hey guys quick question looking for a recommendation; what's the best currently airing or just finished airing sci-fi anime that doesn't involve other worlds, video games, or fanservice? hard sci-fi would be a plus. looking specifically for newer stuff from 2018-2020.

There's a new Legend of the Galactic Heroes series that started in 2018 and has two seasons, a couple movies, and a third season coming in the near future. No idea how it compares to the original.

Psycho Pass is sorta sci fi. It started a few years ago but season 3 just came out last year. I like it a lot, and it comes up a decent amount in this thread.

Deca-Dence is on my watch list but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

That's pretty much everything recent that I'm aware of which fits your criteria, I might be missing something though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

Planet With was apparently 2018, and that one's pretty great.

I would say Deca-Dence from last season, but that one involves video games (sort of).

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Sweet; thank you both, I will look into those recommendations. I had no idea there was a new LotGH!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Planet With is a super robot show so not hard sci-fi but it's very good

there's been a couple other-genre-but-in-sci-fi-setting shows in Megalobox (boxing) and Carole & Tuesday (music)

can't think of anything else in that small time range that doesn't break one of the criteria

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Lastdancer posted:

I've been looking for the some scifi a while back myself, check out Seikaisuru Kado and Blame!.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm nearing the end of Planet With now and it's been quite a ride! Enjoying it quite a bit. I keep getting vibes of stuff like Gurren Lagann, and noticing certain visual references to stuff like gunbuster and ghost in the shell of all things. Also, I realized a little earlier I said no "other worlds" and I mainly just meant no Isekai stuff-- the involvement of other worlds is fine.

I'm going to take a look at the rest of these recommendations once I'm finished watching this one. Seikaisuru Kado definitely sounds interesting! Thanks again, everyone.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 6, 2020

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
The title of the last episode of Planet With is one of my favorite things

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kado starts good but ends really badly later on.

If you like seineny slightly edge and violent sci fi then try ID: Invaded, it's trying to be sci fi detective Inception. Hits most of its marks, lands the ending, has a bunch of great characters.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Watched Love, Death, Robots on Netflix and now Im curious if there are any anime in the same vein. A collection of small episodes with no connecting story but a basic theme?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Furnaceface posted:

Watched Love, Death, Robots on Netflix and now Im curious if there are any anime in the same vein. A collection of small episodes with no connecting story but a basic theme?

Robot Carnival is about.. robots.
Neo-tokyo and Memories and compilations, I guess the theme could be scifi and good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond are cool collections of shorts.

Not sure if they have a theme but most of them are pretty surreal

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

The manga Battlefield is world war 2 stories based on fairy tales

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks to the people who told me Gintama was not, as i feared, ultranationalist propaganda, i watched the tensest food battle ever!!
Ep. 25 was great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Thanks to the people who told me Gintama was not, as i feared, ultranationalist propaganda, i watched the tensest food battle ever!!
Ep. 25 was great.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Ep. 25 was great.

It only gets significantly better from there.