Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

How Wonderful! posted:

They already had a giraffe guy, what gives??!! I'm pretty far behind, don't tell me the pre-existing giraffe guy is dead?

Minor spoilers

The Beast Pirates have a bunch of knock-off Devil Fruits that, instead of turning you into a human-animal hybrid, just make you grow random animal parts. Oda's been using it as an excuse to draw the weirdest characters he can think of.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Nilbop posted:

People link this manga a lot, and it might just be my unfamiliarity with it, but everyone in it always come off as gigantic assholes. This girl in particular.
It's not so much that they're assholes -- though they definitely are! -- as that they're painfully immature. Power is an immortal demon bound to a corpse, and she's been 'human' for less than a year. Denji, the titular Chainsawman, is emotionally stunted from an insanely abusive childhood. Denji and Power have never had a single person who cared about them their whole lives, and now they're inseparable siblings. The whole manga is a hosed up edgelord coming-of-age story, but it can be sweet sometimes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

They already had a giraffe guy, what gives??!! I'm pretty far behind, don't tell me the pre-existing giraffe guy is dead?

They're specifically "smile" devil fruit, which is different.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

How Wonderful! posted:

Nah, these are like lovely copies of devil fruits that don't work as well, so they're allowed to be duplicates. As far as we know, Kaku is still alive, working hard to harness the limitless destructive power of the giraffe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThingOne posted:

One Piece

Made a real mistake not calling that one guy "Guess What"

chicken butt

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Oh yeah, I remember SMILE from when it was introduced. I should really catch up one of these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read all of One Piece around the start of the current arc but I definitely am not a fan of reading it week to week so I'm just waiting for this part to be over and then I'll probably catch up again.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

How Wonderful! posted:

No, this is a bootleg copy of the giraffe guy's fruit that doesn't work right, which is why this man's rear end is also the giraffe's face

e: wow i should catch up

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I read all of One Piece around the start of the current arc but I definitely am not a fan of reading it week to week so I'm just waiting for this part to be over and then I'll probably catch up again.

Yeah, I wound up enjoying OP way more when I just gave up on staying current. I ended up enjoying arcs that apparently a lot of other people found to be terrible, so I feel like that's the winning strategy here.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I stopped reading somewhere around Water 7 the first time, but reread the whole thing (well, up to the most recent English volume) during quarantine. Def one of my favorite adventure stories now, though all the levels of haki stuff is worryingly starting to remind me of when DBZ morphed into making your Super Saiyan number go up.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TwoPair posted:

Savage Wolverine #5: Wolverine is in the Savage Land and (along with the Hulk) has inadvertently freed an ancient evil alien, so now they, along with Shanna the She-Devil and Amadeus Cho (he's the guy in the suit and he's glowing because it gives him a force field, since I know these questions will come up) have to come up with a plan to stop it.

This is the actual end to the story, there is no follow-up to this in subsequent story arcs. It is possibly my favorite ending to a story in comics ever.

I bought the trade and loved it, and spent a while being confused trying to find where they pick up the story again.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

And you clean your plate young man!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Darthemed posted:

Super-Villain Team-Up #5 (1976)

Did Namor accidentally crash through that window and do one of those "misunderstanding leads to big fight" stories?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Red posted:

Did Namor accidentally crash through that window and do one of those "misunderstanding leads to big fight" stories?

Fight :confused: Can't you see how Reed instinctively flexes his muscles to impress his surprise betighted visitor?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Namor is an associate professor at the Victor Von Doom School of Not Entering The Room Like A Peasant

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Begemot posted:

Nah, these are like lovely copies of devil fruits that don't work as well, so they're allowed to be duplicates. As far as we know, Kaku is still alive, working hard to harness the limitless destructive power of the giraffe.

Yeah its great
theres a guy with the Lion Smile fruit who has a lion growing out his stomach. IT has a mind of its own and punches the guy in the balls when it gets angry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its great
theres a guy with the Lion Smile fruit who has a lion growing out his stomach. IT has a mind of its own and punches the guy in the balls when it gets angry.

This sounds like Master Pandemonium and his hands

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its great

And it keeps forgetting that they share a body so it's hitting itself in the balls to.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #21 (1941)

The Thing! #1 (1952)

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #1 (1962)

Spidey Super Stories #21 (1977)

Saban's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Ninja Rangers/VR Troopers #3 (1996)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Looting is where he got the idea for Astro Boy!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Darthemed posted:

My money would have been on Evil Captain Planet

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Huh, I would have gone with Go Nagai or Kazuo Umezu for a "Dark Ranger" team before Tezuka.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm legally changing my name to Stanford Winner.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tony, you're a millionaire, you can just order something else from that robot.

(I have no idea who that really is)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"The" poison fish suggests that this dude knew the fish, maybe it was his favorite pet fish and this is a Godfather situation.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #5 (1942)

Adventures into the Unknown #50 (1953)

The Fantastic Four #13 (1963)

Secrets of Haunted House #33 (1981)

Spider-Man Team-Up #2 (1996)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Marauders #14

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

For an issue that is just a bunch of people having dinner, it was really good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

(Edited out by user request)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 9, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I know I got some push-back when I was a mod for having a very itchy trigger finger when it came to transphobia but that post sucks and if you're wondering why I found it to merit a probe just take a few minutes and think it over.

I don't think you had any malice in your heart here. I mean, I hope you didn't. But it really sucked to see that kind of joke on what has been a pretty nice day so far.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 8, 2020

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

How Wonderful! posted:

I know I got some push-back when I was a mod for having a very itchy trigger finger when it came to transphobia but that post sucks and if you're wondering why I found it to merit a probe just take a few minutes and think it over.

I don't think you had any malice in your heart here. I mean, I hope you didn't. But it really sucked to see that kind of joke on what has been a pretty nice day so far.

"Was" a mod?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Darthemed posted:

Adventures into the Unknown #50 (1953)
FOOLS -- ALL OF THEM! is a pretty good line that almost always comes before the twist.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ManiacClown posted:

"Was" a mod?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3933451&pagenumber=17&perpage=40#post509078318

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

V...- Comics #2 (1942)

Chamber of Chills #16 (1953)

Not Brand Echh #3 (1967)

What If? #37 (1983)

Skrull Kill Krew #3 (2009)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darthemed posted:

Skrull Kill Krew #3 (2009)

Wolverine sayin' the quiet part out loud, huh.

(Although I do remember Deadpool yelling "Snikt me! Snikt me!" at him on one occasion)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Not Brand Echh #3 (1967)

Oh dip, that's fantastic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Eye #1 (1940)

V...- Comics #2 (1942)

(later)

Strange Tales #81 (1961)

Spidey Super Stories #21 (1977)

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 7 (1996)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is there a term for something that reads as a parody of something that comes out years later?

L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 #33