Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I think I have at least one other Erich von Däniken book besides Chariots of the Gods. Will post if I can find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My dad had two or three Däniken books and I read them as a kid and was all :monocle: but then my dad told me he was a complete fraud and I'd never been more disappointed in my life :(

He lost a lot of credibility when he published a book saying he found a secret cave in Ecuador full of alien stuff. A reporter tracked down his guide and said guide revealed that expedition never happened.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Have I posted any Charles Berlitz pseudoscience books? I loved this one when I was a kid:

I remember it said that Antartica was actually two islands underneath the ice. LOL!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

He lost a lot of credibility when he published a book saying he found a secret cave in Ecuador full of alien stuff. A reporter tracked down his guide and said guide revealed that expedition never happened.

...or did it? :tinfoil:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Well where am I supposed to toss my cigar-ends?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Well where am I supposed to toss my cigar-ends?!

Hide them in your wife's rear end when you're eating her rear end.

(Don't do this!)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is the author of that a man? There's a ton of literature from that time period (I'm guessing turn of the century give or take a decade) that's just really plain advice like "your wife may have legitimate grievances and you should listen to her" that I'm sure was scandalously radical at the time

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Definitely a woman, IIRC the introduction explains how a woman giving advice to men on women may seem silly but it actually could be quite valid!! Published in 1920s or 30s I think.

Also the pics may not get across how small it is, not much larger than a book of matches.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Now I want to see what the exception is for arguing about religion!
(And are they referring to arguing with your wife about her religion, or against company (who would presumable be more likely to be a different sect?)?)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

Is the author of that a man? There's a ton of literature from that time period (I'm guessing turn of the century give or take a decade) that's just really plain advice like "your wife may have legitimate grievances and you should listen to her" that I'm sure was scandalously radical at the time

The /r/relationships thread is full of people who still haven't figured out these two a century later.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Whybird posted:

The /r/relationships thread is full of people who still haven't figured out these two a century later.

"how to develop a theory of mind for your wife"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I read a hilarious review of this somewhere, and wanted to read it:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I don't know if anyone here reads Sean Tejaratchi's (Liartown USA) Crap Hound clip-art magazine, but I thought I'd mention that there are several new issues for 2020:

https://buyolympia.com/Artist/Sean+Tejaratchi

Once issues of Crap Hound go out of print, they tend to sell for a fortune on secondary markets, so if you want these, do not wait too long to pick 'em up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I read a hilarious review of this somewhere, and wanted to read it:

There's a discussion of that book going on right now in another subforum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946540

Also, I have all of those Beavis & Butt-head books, and I love them. They are really, really funny. (They're on the Internet Archive for checking out, btw.)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Awesome! I'll check that thread out after I read the book.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got a new first edition. It's going right next to my signed Kissinger.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Wow!!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

D-Pad posted:

:eyepop:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

D-Pad posted:

This is legit amazing. How's the judo advice?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I sure hope Chaudlance and Edgar will be all right :ohdear:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"Hot lance?" Is that what he's going for?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Goddamn, there's like one used copy of that for sale and it's like 60 GBP, which is a little rich for my blood at the moment. cuuuurse yoooou interneeeet

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

I sure hope Chaudlance and Edgar will be all right :ohdear:

Awesome!

I'm gonna legally change my name to "Stud Arab."

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That book isn't on ebay, and hasn't been for at least the past six months, but here are a few others:

Apparently "H.R. Kaye" is a pen name of author Hugh Knox, whom I've never heard of.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gonna have to see some of those poems

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Awesome!

I'm gonna legally change my name to "Stud Arab."

Why would you choose that when “Chaudlance” is right there?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Heath posted:

Gonna have to see some of those poems

There is also a book of poetry by Hugh Knox on Amazon named "Mother."

https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Colle...05227466&sr=8-2

And here is a Holloway House book by Hugh Knox:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382913836142

I'm sort of surprised I'm not familiar with it since I collect Holloway House paperbacks.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 13, 2020

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Blue Moonlight posted:

Why would you choose that when “Chaudlance” is right there?

Because "Chaudlance" is my current legal name (both first and last).

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the gay private eye stuff is absolutely speakin my language

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Alternate title: Circle Pines By Night

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
No pictures because I only have one and it’s put up in a box in my book storing room: does anyone know anything about a group of paperback novels about John Constantlne? Every place I look has the graphic novels, but the nurses in the nervous hospital would completely freak the gently caress out if they thumbed through my backpack during admission. I’m talking about trade paperback novels, of which I actually have one. I have been looking for even one of these for at least fifteen years because I didn’t realize the Hellblazer comics were the same guy. The novels showed deeper into JC’s thought processes and was really, really good. It was also not based on a comic, but a fresh story like the movie (but better).

Cross-posting to the white whale thread, too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
These?

https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/john-constantine-hellblazer-novels/44897/

e: looks like he actually did three of them. He did a ton if other licensed stuff too: Halo, Borderlands, Bioshock... John Shirley is a decent pulp writer, I’m curious to know if any of these various licensed books are any good.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 15, 2020

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

e: looks like he actually did three of them. He did a ton if other licensed stuff too: Halo, Borderlands, Bioshock... John Shirley is a decent pulp writer, I’m curious to know if any of these various licensed books are any good.

Oh poo poo, I have the Bioshock one in a box somewhere. It’s been years since I read it, so all I can really say is that I don’t remember it being memorably bad.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

DerekSmartymans posted:

No pictures because I only have one and it’s put up in a box in my book storing room: does anyone know anything about a group of paperback novels about John Constantlne? Every place I look has the graphic novels, but the nurses in the nervous hospital would completely freak the gently caress out if they thumbed through my backpack during admission. I’m talking about trade paperback novels, of which I actually have one. I have been looking for even one of these for at least fifteen years because I didn’t realize the Hellblazer comics were the same guy. The novels showed deeper into JC’s thought processes and was really, really good. It was also not based on a comic, but a fresh story like the movie (but better).

Cross-posting to the white whale thread, too.

Jordan's got me beat with an actual link, but I answered this over in White Whale, too. You want "mass market paperback", not "trade paperback" if you're looking for just words, no pictures.

Also I'm fond of John Shirley's cyberpunk short story stuff, so I'm curious to check these out!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Jordan's got me beat with an actual link, but I answered this over in White Whale, too. You want "mass market paperback", not "trade paperback" if you're looking for just words, no pictures.

Also I'm fond of John Shirley's cyberpunk short story stuff, so I'm curious to check these out!

Yeah I got a PM with links to War Lord and Subterranean. I was simply using the wrong words in my searches. War Lord is the one I have now, but I never ever even saw Subterranean. Ordered it last night at 2:00am along with a paperback copy of divabot’s (David Gerard) new book. Can’t wait to get ‘em and read!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got some new ones

This is a 2nd ed of this particular princeton press printing from '45:

First ed signed, been looking for this for a while: