Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I did the all in pledge on Darkest Dungeon and now I want to die.

I am also fully aware that if I do not back it, or back anything but the all-in, I will also want to die because of FOMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

rydiafan posted:

I am also fully aware that if I do not back it, or back anything but the all-in, I will also want to die because of FOMO.

:rip: Too weak and dumb to live. The perfect kickstarter backer.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I really think the $330 All-In cost is too high for what is essentially just a pile of miniatures from a video game you like. I mean, if you're a painter, maybe that's worth the cost.

From what I saw of the actual gameplay, it looks like a total slog.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

JazzFlight posted:

From what I saw of the actual gameplay, it looks like a total slog.

Ah so it's accurate to the videogame.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:rip: Too weak and dumb to live. The perfect kickstarter backer.

Gross post.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The game does look custom built to languish in a lot of garages.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I am 100% aware that I will never get to play this game, probably won't get around to painting the minis, and should not be backing it.

You know when you break your diet with a slice of cake, and then you say "Wow, you weak piece of poo poo. You don't even deserve to be thin" and then you eat the rest of the cake to punish yourself? That's me right now backing this game.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

rydiafan posted:

I am 100% aware that I will never get to play this game, probably won't get around to painting the minis, and should not be backing it.

You know when you break your diet with a slice of cake, and then you say "Wow, you weak piece of poo poo. You don't even deserve to be thin" and then you eat the rest of the cake to punish yourself? That's me right now backing this game.
Unlike the cake you can walk this back whenever you like with literally no consequences or ill effects. Or at least you can for the next day (or however much time is left) or so.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Redundant posted:

Unlike the cake you can walk this back whenever you like with literally no consequences or ill effects. Or at least you can for the next day (or however much time is left) or so.
On that note, not sure if it’s one of those types of KS, but check the FAQ to see if you can get access to the pledge manager with a $1 pledge. That would give you possibly months to lay out the cash.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Redundant posted:

Right, but obviously then I'd be miserable because if I HAD gotten it I'd totally paint all the miniatures and play the campaign over and over again with all my friends.

The nanosecond a stretch goal unlock was the privilege of paying for another expansion, and I did the math on how many more expansions were gonna be "unlocked", I knew I was in a no win situation with this Kickstarter. I was either gonna hate myself for burning $350 or I was gonna hate myself for FOMO. I cannot escape.

JazzFlight posted:

On that note, not sure if its one of those types of KS, but check the FAQ to see if you can get access to the pledge manager with a $1 pledge. That would give you possibly months to lay out the cash.

I actually have the money to burn, so I'm not skipping meals or anything. I mostly just hate being aware that FOMO is stupid, but caving in anyway.

Maybe a better analogy is sleeping with an ex? I dunno.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

rydiafan posted:

Glittering gold, trinkets and baubles... paid for in blood. :unsmigghh:

I hear ya though, I recently had to talk myself out of backing the new SG-1 game because I'm a sucker for that show, but when someone pointed out that there was nothing in the previews about character gen... yeah, that's a bit weird.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I have so many games languishing in a storage room that sounded cool, but two years later had not interest in once they showed up. Don't be like me, there is still time.

One day I will get a game of Heavy Gear in. :unsmith:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

COVID (and America's response to it) has made me pass on numerous kickstarters at this point. Not knowing when I'll see people around the table regularly again has made it easy to pass on stuff I otherwise would have jumped on.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Agrias120 posted:

COVID (and America's response to it) has made me pass on numerous kickstarters at this point. Not knowing when I'll see people around the table regularly again has made it easy to pass on stuff I otherwise would have jumped on.
I pretty much only back solo-able stuff now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I pretty much only back solo-able stuff now.

Good news about Darkest Dungeon!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Pre-COVID some local guys ran a KS for a pretty neat virtual tabletop system. I scoffed because I have a local play group, why would I ever need to play remotely.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

rydiafan posted:

Good news about Darkest Dungeon!
I took a look at how much I would have to manage by myself and the amount of table space and I was too overwhelmed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Even with the housemates I've got I haven't been able to play games since my work from home setup ate up the entire kitchen table

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Guildball was always just their entry into the marketplace. Once their licensed FOMO Kickstarters became their main bread and butter they were always going to kill it off.

At their first sanctioned tournament in the Warmachine Weekend basement Matt gave a big speech to the players about how they wouldnt be relying on kickstarters going forward. That wasn't even a year before they started churning out all the licensed swill.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

Same, although less because we might not get to it for a while (worst case scenario I can play a Tabletop Sim mod in the secure knowledge that I legally own the game, even if I have to make it myself) and more because my options for clearing out space to actually store them are real goddamn limited right now. Or getting new storage, for that matter.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I took a look at how much I would have to manage by myself and the amount of table space and I was too overwhelmed.

No, yeah, it was a joke. Nobody should back Darkest Dungeon.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Why not just get the base game and core stretch goals for $100? it's going to be well over a year away and the all in just seems like way too much of everything

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

rydiafan posted:

I almost did this but then I remembered that I'd also backed Bloodborne at the FOMO all-in level and two giant piles of video game minis is way too much.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Why not just get the base game and core stretch goals for $100? it's going to be well over a year away and the all in just seems like way too much of everything

Because that isn't all the stuff.

I definitely am not backing Darkest Dungeon (I've played the PC game for like, 2 hours and the boardgame looks underwhelming, expensive AF, and like it's mainly focused on the minis I don't give a toss about), but I'm with rydiafan on this much: if I'm going to get a game, I'm going to get it all. Especially if any of it might be hard to come by later.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I know a guy who does loads of game trading (and some buy & sell) and I can tell you that unless it somehow freakishly breaks the mold set by countless other KS releases, the game will punch well above its weight in terms of trade value especially if it's the full set (and you can always part out the exclusives or expansions from the rest of the game separately if you want to keep the base game or something.)

Am I just sharing facts, or am I enabling? You be the judge :angel:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Because that isn't all the stuff.

I definitely am not backing Darkest Dungeon (I've played the PC game for like, 2 hours and the boardgame looks underwhelming, expensive AF, and like it's mainly focused on the minis I don't give a toss about), but I'm with rydiafan on this much: if I'm going to get a game, I'm going to get it all. Especially if any of it might be hard to come by later.

does it not depend on how much you're into the game? that's my point. like if you're not super into it why get all the extra poo poo? how do you even store and manage all of it lol

i'm mostly just trying to convince myself not to all in this. it's a waste of money and there will be an endless stream of kickstarters. don't do it!

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

rydiafan posted:

Better this than another CMON garbage pile

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I'll admit, I went full FOMO on the TMNT City Fall KS, and yes I've got a giant stack of very rarely used foot clan and Krang miniatures now, but that game is actually pretty fun! Even though I enjoy it, it just feels like too much stuff. Like if I want to play it with friends, I can try to stick to one box, but they know I have a special side box with Stan Sakai variant sculpts and rules and so now I need to go unpack Usagi for one player and dig up the Rocksteady dice set and rules for another one.

Gonna be so much worse when all the compatible BTAS stuff shows up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

theironjef posted:

This rules. I really want to know of Raphael and Damian can stop Bebop, Rocksteady, and the Mad Hatter from robbing a bank.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gorefiend posted:

At their first sanctioned tournament in the Warmachine Weekend basement Matt gave a big speech to the players about how they wouldnt be relying on kickstarters going forward. That wasn't even a year before they started churning out all the licensed swill.

As someone who worked with Matt prior to his time at Steamforged, I can say that he is a grade A bullshitter

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

does it not depend on how much you're into the game? that's my point. like if you're not super into it why get all the extra poo poo? how do you even store and manage all of it lol

i'm mostly just trying to convince myself not to all in this. it's a waste of money and there will be an endless stream of kickstarters. don't do it!

No. I have never encountered any game I wanted to own but did not want to own all the gameplay-relevant content for. (Well...okay, Gloomhaven. I love that game but I can't imagine getting to the expansion or Frosthaven, we've already played it for dozens of sessions and never finished.) Frankly, part of the draw is the extra poo poo. Variety is the spice of life. Yes, it's often a problem to store without aftermarket solutions that may or may not manifest. But that's a later-me problem.

That said, a game that debuts on Kickstarter with a bunch of paid add-on content already is more of a turn-off than a turn-on. Do your initial game and some stretch goal content, maybe one expansion tops. Prove it's actually any good, then come to me for more money. And the flipside of my "if I want this, I want all of it" is "if I don't want all of this, I don't want this at all".

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

CODChimera posted:

The problem with Darkest Dungeon is that it's Kickstarter only. If you buy some and turn out to like it, you don't have an option to buy it later. You either go all in now, or you get yourself a big bag of FOMO.

Now, I hate projects like this, and it does mean unless I really want all of it, I'm probably not going to buy any of it, because I hate having incomplete collections. But it's proven over and over to be an effective Kickstarter strategy.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

theironjef posted:

I'll admit, I went full FOMO on the TMNT City Fall KS, and yes I've got a giant stack of very rarely used foot clan and Krang miniatures now, but that game is actually pretty fun! Even though I enjoy it, it just feels like too much stuff. Like if I want to play it with friends, I can try to stick to one box, but they know I have a special side box with Stan Sakai variant sculpts and rules and so now I need to go unpack Usagi for one player and dig up the Rocksteady dice set and rules for another one.

loving what

I'm so sad I missed out on this right now, you don't even know

At the same time, I just threw money at the Haslab HeroQuest crowdfund, so when that delivers a year+ from now, I'll at least have a bunch more minis to leave as a grey mass paint up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Well, might still be able to late pledge the BTAS set. It's pretty great! It's done by IDW, it's a co-op campaign skirmish game (no legacy elements though, just lots of playable characters) that uses grids and dice. Each release is fully compatible with the whole, so so far there's three TMNT games, of which the first one is a bit of a prototype wash that was redone to make the second and third. But there was also a successful BTAS kickstarter which was honestly wild because they had the exact license limits of "If it was on BTAS or the New Batman Adventures you can use it" meaning that playable characters include Supergirl and Etrigan, the Gray Ghost and the Phantasm, and just about every villain they ever used (just not Kyodai Ken, that also-ran ninja).

So when the BTAS stuff shows up, hell yes I can have Nightwing team up with April O'Neil to take on the Rat King teaming up with Penguin.

Oh and they announced the third license in the line a while back, Avatar: the Last Airbender.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been playing Gloomhaven with a group pretty steadily for the last 3 years, and we're just getting to the expansion now. I still backed Frosthaven because the game is awesome.

The tabletop simulator version is what we currently play, which is also pretty great, but it does mean that my giant box with all the doodads doesn't get uncloseted.

EDIT: that hasn't stopped me from backing a number of dumb games that look cool but I will probably only play once if at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is only now I realize I confused the IDW Batman game with that other Batman game that came out a while ago and had like all the characters but the mechanics were roundly derided as, to quote the Bard, 'not very good.'

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The IDW skirmish stuff is mostly serviceable and occasionally very clever. Character consist of a card with a generic ability and some stats (combat, block, speed, focus, skill) a mini, three custom faced dice (every TMNT character and all the BTAS heroes have their own set of three, BTAS villains pick one of four archetype dice sets), a collection of skill cards and a mini. Before each game you choose a number of skill cards for that game equal to your skill stat, they have costs you can pay with die face values or you can just do basic attacks and moves.

The part that's clever is that every turn before anyone goes the players roll all their dice and arrange them. They get the values of each face they roll, bit they share the leftmost die with the person to their right and the rightmost with the person on their right. So everyone actually has five dice faces to work with and there's a little teamwork cooked in.

The dice do a lot to make characters feel unique. There's five symbols that can show up (ranged, melee, block, move, and focus) and some can double up on a face. So Leo is melee guy and has more melee and double melee, Mikey is the fastest, Raph is ranged with a twist (his card lets him treat ranged as melee sometimes) and Donny is defensive, a lot of his die faces are "x AND block".

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tsilkani posted:

The problem with Darkest Dungeon is that it's Kickstarter only. If you buy some and turn out to like it, you don't have an option to buy it later. You either go all in now, or you get yourself a big bag of FOMO.

Now, I hate projects like this, and it does mean unless I really want all of it, I'm probably not going to buy any of it, because I hate having incomplete collections. But it's proven over and over to be an effective Kickstarter strategy.

True, that is a good point

My Etherfields arrived today, its honestly waaaaay better quality than I was expecting. It kinda feels like AR are just really good at this stuff? even their pledge manager is awesome. I don't have a ton of experience with this hobby though, i now own Etherfields & Planet Apocalypse, and i've only really played zombicide(lots of different versions), scythe and some other random games.

I am starting to get a bit concerned with the amount of stuff to paint though

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

theironjef posted:

Oh and they announced the third license in the line a while back, Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CODChimera posted:

True, that is a good point

My Etherfields arrived today, its honestly waaaaay better quality than I was expecting. It kinda feels like AR are just really good at this stuff? even their pledge manager is awesome. I don't have a ton of experience with this hobby though, i now own Etherfields & Planet Apocalypse, and i've only really played zombicide(lots of different versions), scythe and some other random games.

I am starting to get a bit concerned with the amount of stuff to paint though

Awesome! I'm really excited for Etherfields and I'm pretty sad that I paid for single-wave shipping so I have to wait until next year to get the game. AR seems to do a really good job with their games though, everything in Nemesis is really high quality.